PDA

View Full Version : Explain this dumb traffic

adam c
06-17-2010, 05:38 PM
So i don't know if it's just me but the traffic lately is fucking retarded, i don't understand why it takes longer to get home when it's raining than when it's snowing. are people seriously so dumb they think they're going to hydroplane into the vehicle in front of them going 5km per hour?

i have to serious add 30-40 minutes to my going home commute if it's raining compared to dry roads it just doesn't make sense to me

TYMSMNY
06-17-2010, 05:42 PM
yes, they like to corner MUCH slower than usual as well. Must be their survival instinct to not drift and blow through the McD's window.

theken
06-17-2010, 05:42 PM
Visibility down = speeds down

LadyLuck
06-17-2010, 05:43 PM
Maybe its the construction zones?
I haven't noticed a change in traffic since the rain started :dunno:

G-ZUS
06-17-2010, 05:46 PM
I noticed deerfoot gets much slower. Normally it slows down from Memorial to 17th (NB) because of the clusterfuck of merging from 17th to Deerfoot. In the rain, it gets backed up from 16th all the way to Peigan

adam c
06-17-2010, 05:46 PM
i don't travel through any construction zones, macleod trail south from DT to heritage

Tik-Tok
06-17-2010, 06:29 PM
I see it on Deerfoot every day. People drive 70-80 instead of 100, and it drives me up the wall.

The explanation is simple. People are fucking idiots.

scat330
06-17-2010, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
I see it on Deerfoot every day. People drive 70-80 instead of 100, and it drives me up the wall.

The explanation is simple. People are fucking idiots.

I see so many people white knuckling and their wipers going back and forth 100 times /sec. It's redic! It's like their eyes focus on the rain drops lmfao.

Dilmah
06-17-2010, 06:53 PM
Deerfoot and Memorial Dr? WTF, rain or shine, sleet or snow… traffic always slows down at this spot.:dunno:

Cos
06-17-2010, 06:55 PM
I had to do a bit of extra driving this week. I take deerfoot south in the AM to blackfoot then to my work normally.

This week I have been doing that but since the start of june it is a clusterfuck getting off deerfoot and all the way down to my office has been horrible. It seems that everyone is skipping deerfoot construction by taking blackfoot... thanks.

On Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday I was taking my PAL near Elbow and Southland. From blackfoot and 42nd to there it took me almost 40 minutes the first day, tuesday was quick 18 minutes, rain was light. Wednesday with the huge downpour took me almost an hour.

Some guy on northbound deerfoot today was doing 80 in the fast lane, smoking weed with his GF so obviously not really worrying about how fast he is going, and was really pissed off that I was not too happy about it.

FUCK TRAFFIC

FiveFreshFish
06-17-2010, 07:21 PM
It'll be better in two weeks.

atgilchrist
06-17-2010, 08:32 PM
On the way to the airport today, I had to come to a complete stop out of nowhere because some total fucktard decided the best way to change lanes on Deerfoot would be to stop. I don't understand :(

94boosted
06-17-2010, 09:09 PM
:werd: My commute to and from work is longer for sure what a piss off!

Idratherbsidewayz
06-17-2010, 09:27 PM
Yesterday traffic was backed up all the way to the 32nd onramp on Deerfoot. At 530!!! WTF!?!?!?!?

Novus
06-17-2010, 10:15 PM
5 Minutes ago, I was travelling from 14st to glenmore than to Crowchild all the way to crowfoot and people were doing 65 - 70 in an 80 zone. :facepalm:

It's like they're blind or something

baygirl
06-17-2010, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by adam c
i don't travel through any construction zones, macleod trail south from DT to heritage
I was going south on Macleod today at lunch time and nearly lost my f@#$%&g mind. At first I thought it was because this city is full of idiots who really shouldn't be allowed behind the wheel because they are afraid of rain, but then I realized part of Southland was closed. I think that had a little to do with it. Traffic was really slow from Heritage to Southland, not so bad after that.

bigbadboss101
06-17-2010, 11:53 PM
I drive to/from work everyday going from the North side to around Glenmore. There are always people who like to drive 80 ish in the middle lane when the slow lane is just fine for them. Then there are people who stay in the fast lane until the last minute and then decide they have to change 3 lanes to get to their off ramp. Last and not least people who use the off lane to pass, or stay in the off lane until the last second and then merge in. Eg. Deerfoot North they will drive in the lane for McKnight turnoff until they almost run out of road, then scoot over 3 lanes to the fast lane. Same drive every day, same people who do the same thing.

Idratherbsidewayz
06-18-2010, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by bigbadboss101
Last and not least people who use the off lane to pass, or stay in the off lane until the last second and then merge in. Eg. Deerfoot North they will drive in the lane for McKnight turnoff until they almost run out of road, then scoot over 3 lanes to the fast lane. Same drive every day, same people who do the same thing.

:rofl: :rofl:

I definitely do this daily with some off lanes. I could either spend an extra 20 minutes waiting in line like a chump, or I could use 100% of the road that is available to me. It's all in the name of efficiency. As long as you merge in properly, the traffic isn't affected ie. Brake before you turn, leave as much room as possible for the guy behind you, as traffic speeds up ahead (its always speeding up by offlanes) speed up slightly slower to give you room in front, then BAM you're perfectly merged and nobody was affected.

arian_ma
06-18-2010, 08:49 AM
OP you are so right. It drives me NUTS. IT'S DRIZZLE YOU FUCKERS! YOU DON'T NEED TO GO 20 UNDER THE LIMIT!!!!
God damn rolling road blocks make me want to do a triple murder suicide. :cry:

Kloubek
06-18-2010, 08:53 AM
My route is down Beddington, then Deerfoot to McKnight. And it has been getting progessively slower. However, there are three construction zones I have go to through, so I think that explains it.

Yesterday, traffic was at a crawl. I guess a van managed to spin himself out on the rain, and land half on the meridian and half in the fast southbound lane. How do you spin yourself out going 60k? Idiot.

swak
06-18-2010, 09:08 AM
what pisses me off more than anything is the people that get in 'collisions' on deerfoot during rush hour!!

HOW ON EARTH is it humanly possible to crash into someone (going 20k MAX on deerfoot during rush hour), on a street with NO LIGHTS, and is a god damn highway.

.. and then theres the people that drive with their 4-ways on while its raining out.... UGGHHHHHHHHH...

.. i swear Calgary drivers are getting worse and worse every year, however, at the same time, ive noticed myself getting more laid-back year after year. You cant have the best of both worlds i guess :nut:

derran.m
06-18-2010, 10:54 AM
been driving me nuts the last few days!!! I take a few different routes into High River every day and back home to Cayley ... Highway 2 - last time I took that venture I was behind a minivan who knew how to handle the water, we were doing 120+ flying past EVERYONE ... when it came to my exit off the highway, got in theline of cars in the slow lane ... all doing fucking 80-90 on Hwy 2 where it's 110km/h
Then I take 2A ... 80km/h speed limit ... i typically do 90-100 ish ... last few days it has been flying past all the idiots doing 70.
Then there's the back road that nobody takes ... few people that are on it doing like 60 ... and me whipping past em at 90-100.....
GOD PEOPLE ARE DUMB ITS FUCKING RAIN! get some decent tires that can handle it, turn your wipers on and give er shit!!!!!

wardpr68
06-18-2010, 10:55 AM
Have you seen the condition of most peoples tires in this city??? Fuck me... no wonder they are going so slow.

masoncgy
06-18-2010, 04:55 PM
Yeah, the rain has made the commute crappy, no question. I am at a loss to explain why... just a ton of retards on our roads, I guess.