PDA

View Full Version : LF: class 1 tractor-trailer local driving job

maestro_87
06-17-2010, 05:47 PM
Hey guys, I am a class 1 with air brake certified driver. I got my 15hr training course completed from CCA driving school here in SE Calgary.
I have been frequently browsing the careers threads here and seeing if there are any other ppl interested in driving locally. I read over the oil rig thread, but I am not in the position where i can live in the camp sites up north and work for weeks at a time in the heavy haul business.
I am first looking at getting on with a local company which offers on the job training and is willing to hire rookie class 1 drivers.
I have fired off resumes via email to companies as H&R Transport, Direct transport. All the companies I talk to are looking for drivers with 2years OTR experience.
So if any of you beyonders know anyone in the business or has hookups who can lend a helping hand, that would be greatly appreciated.
I am looking at any pay grade, doesnt matter if it's $14/hr or $18/hr, I just need to gain my experience so I can start my career path.

maestro_87
06-28-2010, 05:01 PM
I just wanted to get this thread bumped up. 0 replies is not a good sign lol, but hopefully something comes along..

revelations
06-28-2010, 06:54 PM
www.wowjobs.ca

btimbit
07-03-2010, 11:28 PM
calgaryjobshop.ca has a lot of them

maestro_87
07-04-2010, 01:20 PM
thanks a lot guys, I've been emailing resumes to any class 1 job, still nothing yet lol.

trevh
07-04-2010, 01:51 PM
Don't email in your resume. Walk in and speak with someone.

theken
07-04-2010, 04:34 PM
the problem with a market such as logistics right now, the work is simply not there, they would rather hire experienced ops than have to train fresh, when the work load gets quite a bit busier you would have a better shot at getting a no-ex job. As it stands right now you will be lucky lucky to get a call back, and really really lucky to get an interview. I have had a class 1 for 7 years and have done many many different types of jobs with it and had trouble landing a job.

good luck

maestro_87
03-07-2011, 05:14 PM
Found my old thread again, Just thought I would bump this sucker up seeing as nothing as changed. I've been applying like crazy since I started this thread. I had a few interviews with Pepsi and GFS, UPS but no job offer. I'm on jobbank, wowjobs, jobshop and among many others daily.

I'm going to give mike vail a shout tomorrow, just got off the phone with deckx today and they don't train newbies.

If any of you senior members have leads that could lead to ft employment, that would be appreciated. I'll even go as far as saying, I'll hook up a finders fee, if I'm allowed to post that up. If not, I will gladly delete it.

s dime
03-07-2011, 05:25 PM
It is just about road construction season, many companies will be hiring class one drivers for that. Try Mike Vail, Stan Poulsen, Lafarge, Burnco, Volker Stevin, Fish Creek Excavating, places like that. Even places like Denel Heavy Haul get busier in the next few months.

MrSector9
03-07-2011, 05:53 PM
usually the only companies that hire newbies (easily) you dont want to work for.

Hit up some of the big warehouse places and companies and apply for shunt driver, it is usually a pretty decent job with decent pay and will get you some experience. you would be on shift work, home every night (or day depending on shift)

maestro_87
03-08-2011, 09:01 PM
s dime - thanks alot for the names of those companies, i will for sure check them out.

MrSector9 - trust me, I am ready to do any tracter trailer class 1 work with any company. If you have a lead, I'll gladly take it lol.