PDA

View Full Version : Desktop Replacement/Intel Wireless Display

Ajay
06-17-2010, 08:10 PM
I've been looking to replace my desktop with a laptop for quite some time now. My desktop is getting dated and I really don't feel the need to update it.

I have an external hard drive hooked up to it that's filled with numerous TV shows/movies/Top Gear that I was wireless streaming to my PS3 so I could watch it on my big screen. The problem with my PS3 streaming to my TV is some of the files don't seem to be recognized by the PS3 and thus won't play (i.e. MP4's).

Since I'm looking for a laptop I looked into a laptop that would wirelessly stream the content for me. After some research I found out some laptops have Intel Wireless Display Technology where the an adaptor is hooked up to the TV via HDMI and the laptop streams content directly to the TV. I'm wondering if anyone has this setup right now and what the pros/cons are.

On Intel's website they detail three specific laptops that have this technology built in which are exclusive to Best Buy. I'm assuming they're exclusive to Best Buy in the US as I haven't found them on the Best Buy Canada website.

Another concern I have is being able to run this through my surround sound. This solution would eliminate me using my PS3 for streaming video and would allow me to play some formats not supported by my PS3.

EDIT: I found one of them on Best Buy's website but still hoping for a review of this technology from anyone that may be using it.

Novus
06-21-2010, 01:57 AM
It's called Widi (Wireless Display)

Here's an interesting article that might interest you

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2357919,00.asp