PDA

View Full Version : Wall Mounting Tv

brucebanner
06-17-2010, 10:56 PM
So I want to wall mount my television and I can't really find any good options to store/hold my media accessiories (cable box, xbox etc). I was wondering if you guys could help me out and show me some of your set ups or shine a little light on what can be done to house those items.

Lets see those ideas. :thumbsup:

whiskas
06-17-2010, 11:27 PM
I have 30ft of HDMI cable leading up to my TV, goes to a HDMI switch hidden behind my couch. Simple flick of the switch changes between my HTPC, consoles, etc.

Mitsu3000gt
06-17-2010, 11:31 PM
First of all, I would recommend buying your mount on www.monoprice.com for a fraction of what some places in the city charge you. Use them for any cables you may need as well, as a cable identical to a $300 monster cable quite literally costs $3.00 from monoprice.

Anyways, usually what people do is put a shelving unit just below the TV, and that way the cables are mostly covered and you have room for the components. If you want to have a space between the shelving unit and the TV for a cleaner look, you can cut a hole in the wall and put the cables through there, or you can buy printable cable tracking that will blend right into your wall.

A second option is having your components in another room or place all-together, and using a radio frequency remote to control everything. You could even just have your components on a shelving unit just in a more aesthetically pleasing place in the room than right under the TV, and still use the RF method of control. Of course you will still need to run cables from wherever your components are to the TV, but typically you can hide them under baseboards, behind walls, or you can use paintable tracking. Flat cables can help in these situations as well.

eblend
06-18-2010, 12:08 AM
RF remote is where it is at. My living room TV hangs all by itself but all my av equipment for that TV is in the basement and I control everything with an RF remote.

mr2mike
06-30-2010, 09:44 AM
Just a question, but is this what you're running for RF?
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10105&cs_id=1010503&p_id=5415&seq=1&format=2

I have RF on my satellite but I find it slow and sometimes responds poorly. But the rest are all IR, like DVD and my Receiver.

Mitsu3000gt
06-30-2010, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Just a question, but is this what you're running for RF?
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10105&cs_id=1010503&p_id=5415&seq=1&format=2

I have RF on my satellite but I find it slow and sometimes responds poorly. But the rest are all IR, like DVD and my Receiver.

I use a Logitech 890 remote, it comes with the RF receiver which then sends an IR signal to each of your components. There is zero input lag, the commands happen instantly. Very few components are actually RF themselves (although I've heard in Japan they are haha....always ahead of the game over there).

sh0ko
06-30-2010, 10:05 AM
if u do get a mount from monoprice.com for the larger mounts i believe 42" and higher you're gonna want to replace the lag bolts. its only about 5 bux at hme depot but there have been lots of complaints about the mounts sagging with the provided lag bolts.

thank god i picked this up for 70 on adoor crasher sale

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/sanus-15-42-full-motion-flat-panel-tv-wall-mount-vm400b-03/10088725.aspx?path=800577de2ed648ae891f08298548b254en02

i shoulda grabbed more just to sell em lol

eblend
06-30-2010, 10:48 AM
890 from harmony is what I use as well. Can be had for $130 online from ebay. I got 2 myself from futureshop and ordered another one for a friend from ebay. they work rather well.