PDA

View Full Version : sleep apnea

dandia89
06-17-2010, 10:58 PM
i went to rana sleep apnea clinic not too long ago and after all the tests, the doctor diagnosed me with sleep apnea. I guess i'm a dilemma since i'm not anywhere near obese and my tonsils are normally sized. My concern is that the equipment will burn me $1500 and i'm not sure if my insurance will cover it. I do feel the typical symptoms of sleep apnea, but I'm having a hard time convincing myself if it's gonna be resolved after spending so much money.

I just want to get some input from you guys seeing if it's worth it and if you know anyone who has been in a similar situation and found a huge difference after the treatment.

rumeo
06-17-2010, 11:32 PM
I recently had sleep apnea, but mine was caused because my adenoids were swollen and were blocking off my nasal passage way while sleeping. Saw the doctor and had adenoidectomy. Problem solved!

Could yours be a similar situation?

dannie
06-17-2010, 11:39 PM
I can't help you too much. Mine was caused my enlarged tonsils. I had them taken out 2 years ago and it was the worst surgery and recovery of my life. If I knew it would be that bad, I would have dealt with the apnea.

Before spending the money, get a second opinion. I saw Dr Warshawski for my issues.

dandia89
06-18-2010, 12:14 AM
i haven't discussed it into too much detail with him, but what he was suggesting that i used a machine attached to my nose to push down air. another one was dental equipment to align my jaw furthur up so my air passage would be larger. I guess i havent looked in the alternative doctors

VWEvo
06-19-2010, 09:56 AM
You can get another opinion. The CPAP is the gold standard in treating Sleep apnea, however Dental appliances in alot of cases can treat with equal success. Sleep Apnea/Snoring is a large part of our practice, your welcome to contact me for further info.

Don't treat Sleep Apnea lightly, it can affect your day to day activity, but it can easily take years of your life. Sleep Apnea heavily stresses your body out at night so don't ignore anything.

C_Dave45
06-19-2010, 11:36 AM
^truth. Can be very serious. I have it. Sent you a PM, Dandia.

xxxazntigerxx
06-19-2010, 03:38 PM
my doctor said i have Sleep Apnea can some one please send me a pm and tell me some things i can do to resolve it thanks.

Jay911
06-19-2010, 09:56 PM
I have sleep apnea. I have been treated at Rana and would heartily recommend it to anyone and everyone who is experiencing the same thing. I had a ridiculous amount of "stop breathing" episodes per night, over 150. My benefits covered the machine and all accessories, but I was lucky with that.

At the height of my apnea, I couldn't get 2 hours of sleep a night. I would wake up finding myself perched on the edge of my bed, sitting hunched over asleep so I could breathe. Today, I sleep 8 to 12 hours with the machine.

I have a video camera with infrared (night) vision. I recorded myself "sleeping" in the past, tossing and turning and breathing with accessory (stomach) muscles, snoring badly. When I recorded myself again after having used the machine for a while, I literally didn't budge all night - I slept lying on my back (something I haven't been able to do for 20+ years, much longer than I have been suffering sleep apnea or even obesity) for 9 solid hours.

If you can't get through the cost of the CPAP machine (and I'd check if they will take payments in installations, etc., before you give up on it - it's that valuable), you might check about a "dental appliance". From my understanding, it's a mouth guard-ish device you wear at night, and is a casting taken from your teeth and jaw, set in a specific position that prevents your tongue/throat from occluding your airway. I didn't look into dental appliances for a few (personal) reasons, but it might be worth looking into for you or someone else. If Rana doesn't do dental appliances, the one I hear on the radio all the time that does is the Merrill Clinic. (Sorry, Google it, I have no idea of its location/#/etc)

C_Dave45
06-20-2010, 07:25 AM
That description was me to a T, Jay. I'd "sleep" for ten hours but still wake up exhausted, falling asleep at the wheel during the day because I was barely getting any "real" sleep. I got a top of the line Cpap machine that my sleep clinic wanted $2200 for...but I ordered straight from the manufacture in the states. Ended up just under a grand landed. Had to drop-ship to a buddy in the US first. My apnea technician said if you have serious sleep apnea those dental devices won't solve it.
It's turned my whole life around. Well rested, no snoring at all. I don't even need an alarm to wake up. I just naturally wake up feeling not tired at all.

dandia89
06-20-2010, 12:29 PM
I'm the same Dave, I felt like i got those hours of sleep, but when i got to most lectures i was down and out within 10-15 minutes of the lecture.

I set up another appointment to check out the dental appliances next week, but what is most concerning is that i have had orthodontist work before and i don't want this to be counter-productive. If that is the case, I may go with dave's way since I have quite a few relatives in the states to grab the CPAP.

Anyone know if this is possibly genetic, because my dad has the same problem?

C_Dave45
06-22-2010, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by dandia89
I'm the same Dave, I felt like i got those hours of sleep, but when i got to most lectures i was down and out within 10-15 minutes of the lecture.

I set up another appointment to check out the dental appliances next week, but what is most concerning is that i have had orthodontist work before and i don't want this to be counter-productive. If that is the case, I may go with dave's way since I have quite a few relatives in the states to grab the CPAP.

Anyone know if this is possibly genetic, because my dad has the same problem?

Many theories on whether or not its hereditary or not. I've PM'd you about a supplier in the States.