PDA

View Full Version : Private sales

89coupe
06-21-2010, 03:46 PM
If a realtor brings you a buyer, what is he/she expecting these days? Cause there is no way in hell I'm giving them 7% on the first $100K and 3% on everything else.

Do realtors take flat fee's these days?

t-im
06-21-2010, 03:50 PM
If a realtor brings you a buyer (assuming you're trying to sell your house by yourself), you wouldn't be on the hook for the 7/3..you COULD just do 3.5/1.5.

That being said, I have noticed Welist ads that offer realtors a flat fee if they bring their clients to them. Don't know if that works or not.

norbel
06-21-2010, 03:50 PM
:facepalm:
welcome to the calgary house market
you have to pay for purchase contract, broker fee's, etc. My suggestion pay what is needed and do it by the book

89coupe
06-21-2010, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by t-im
If a realtor brings you a buyer (assuming you're trying to sell your house by yourself), you wouldn't be on the hook for the 7/3..you COULD just do 3.5/1.5.

That being said, I have noticed Welist ads that offer realtors a flat fee if they bring their clients to them. Don't know if that works or not.

Even 3.5/1.5 is outrageous just to show up on my doorstep with a buyer.

A790
06-21-2010, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe

Even 3.5/1.5 is outrageous just to show up on my doorstep with a buyer.
"Just".

If you don't like it, find your own buyer. If you use their buyer, prepare to pay commission.

speedog
06-21-2010, 04:00 PM
If a realtor brings you a buyer, what is he/she expecting these days? Cause there is no way in hell I'm giving them 7% on the first $100K and 3% on everything else.

Do realtors take flat fee's these days? Guess it all depends on how badly you need to sell your house.

89coupe
06-21-2010, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by A790

"Just".

If you don't like it, find your own buyer. If you use their buyer, prepare to pay commission.

Thats right, just.

I think $5000.00 in their pocket is a nice bonus just for showing up with a buyer.

If they don't like that they can kiss my lilly white ass.

beyond_ban
06-21-2010, 04:07 PM

Thats right, just.

I think $5000.00 in their pocket is a nice bonus just for showing up with a buyer.

I guess you can just continue to own the house that you want to sell.

89coupe
06-21-2010, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban

I guess you can just continue to own the house that you want to sell.

Oh I'm pretty sure they will accept it with a smile.

max_boost
06-21-2010, 04:24 PM

Thats right, just.

That's nothing for a baller like you.

Feruk
06-21-2010, 04:25 PM
I agree that realtors are CRAZY expensive. Why pay someone $10K for basically throwing information on a website, waiting for calls to come in, doing SOME paperwork, and showing up with a smile on their face? Realtors are basically a left over of the pre-internet days. Sort of like travel agents except the real estate market hasn't gotten as open as the travel market.

There are websites which provide you with most of the data you need and allow you to list your place for a couple hundred bucks if that. I'd google it and have a look around before hiring someone to do maybe 8 hours' worth of work on your behalf for $10K.

89coupe
06-21-2010, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Feruk
I agree that realtors are CRAZY expensive. Why pay someone $10K for basically throwing information on a website, waiting for calls to come in, doing SOME paperwork, and showing up with a smile on their face? Realtors are basically a left over of the pre-internet days. Sort of like travel agents except the real estate market hasn't gotten as open as the travel market.

There are websites which provide you with most of the data you need and allow you to list your place for a couple hundred bucks if that. I'd google it and have a look around before hiring someone to do maybe 8 hours' worth of work on your behalf for $10K.

I'm planning on listing myself, I'm just curious to know what a realtor is expecting if he brings me a buyer.

So he has done nothing but see my listing and shows up with a buyer.

turbotrip
06-21-2010, 05:20 PM
^when you're listing privately, realtors will prefer not to show your house to their customers unless you make it clear that you will be paying them their full (or reasonable) commission 3.5/1.5. the lower you're willing to pay them, the less incentive they will obviously have to bring anyone to your house

that being said I know realtors who take 4-5000 flat fees so there is a lot of room for negotiation

barmanjay
06-21-2010, 07:39 PM
Just so you know,.. the market is starting to become a bit flooded with homes,.. buyers seem to be coming around again too,.. but it still doesn't out-weigh the # of listings

Your house would absolutely have to be a real gem for a realtor to pick it out from out-side the mls system and then to offer less commission than what many other brokerages are offering really isn't any incentive at all.

The real question is,.. do you really want to sell. Or are you primarily concerned with profit.

# of properties currently listed in calgary

0-200k - 405
2-300k - 1914
3-400k - 2587
4-500k - 1988
500k+ - 2459

total # of solds in the last 30 days = 1517

do the math, and GL

If you want professional help............. you will have to pay more, sorry to bear the bad news.

89coupe
06-21-2010, 08:38 PM
I'm not desperate to sell, and yes my place is a gem. 3 units in my building for sale, one just sold last week.

$468,000.00 sold for $455,000.00 (listed for about two weeks)
$434,000.00
$428,000.00

Only 10 condos in my area that are listed on MLS.

I'm willing to bet it will sell fast. Guess I will find out soon enough.

AndyL
06-21-2010, 08:41 PM
1percentrealty just opened in alberta... Don't know much about them - but see their signs when i'm out in BC.

89coupe
06-21-2010, 08:48 PM
I will list it everywhere, every realty site I can think of. I'd rather spend $1000 myself advertising on 5 or 6 different sites then pay some realtor $17000.

Realtors aren't worth that kind of money in my opinion.

AndyL
06-21-2010, 09:55 PM
Oi vey...

For our Full Service on MLS® for homes under $600,000 we charge the same flat $6,900 of commission whether the home is $200,000 or $600,000. It is like we are charging all our clients a 7% commission calculated on just the 1st $100,000 with no charge for the balance i.e. as if their home was priced $100,000 each time. For homes prices over $600,000, we charge a very reasonable commission rate of 1% + $900 for the same full services.
http://www.onepercentrealty.com/about.cfm

Cos
06-21-2010, 09:57 PM
Subscribed so I can follow this thread... curious to see if this works out for you or not.

max_boost
06-21-2010, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by AndyL
Oi vey...

http://www.onepercentrealty.com/about.cfm

That's just for listing though. You probably still have to pay the 3.5/1.5% to the buyer's agent. :D

barmanjay
06-21-2010, 11:28 PM
onepercentrealty does not pay out well,.. basically just 1%

Everytime I've shown one,.. I feel like i'm getting ripped off and making only $5/hr less expenses.

Kloubek
06-21-2010, 11:48 PM
I have sold my last two places myself. For the last, it was difficult, and at the end of the day I honestly am not sure if I saved the "ton" I thought I would, since I had to keep reducing due to lack of interest.

If there is going to be a flood of places coming up, I can only imagine it will be that much more tricky.

With that said, I agree with you. 5k for a Realtor showing up with a potential client seems high. However, it's a potential sale. One you might not have otherwise - which may be the difference between you selling your place before the market goes down, or not. Because if you don't manage to sell it yourself and the market DOES go down, then you're looking at even less money anyway.

Don't deny their commission just out of spite. If you're going to deny it, deny it out of logic - knowing you can get more without them. But make sure you a correct - or you might be holding onto your property a lot longer than anticipated.

89coupe
06-21-2010, 11:59 PM
If any realtor thinks $5000.00 in their pocket is not worth it, they can take their buyers elsewhere.

Bottom line is if a person likes my place and wants to buy it they will, regardless of some realtor.

masoncgy
06-22-2010, 08:36 AM
Man, if you have the time and the energy to sell your own property, do it.

I'm not sure what the big deal is here... not everyone wants to pay a realtor for their services... that's fine. Go about it on your own and good luck... that's really all anyone can tell you.

I'll pay a qualified, experienced realtor to act on my behalf because that has value to me... ie: I don't have to waste my own time dealing with potential clients and all of the hassles & headaches that go along with it... I can put my time & energy into making more money instead, hanging out with my family or doing something that makes me happy... lol... ;)

I already hate wasting my time selling my own vehicles... I can't even imagine going through the pain of selling my own house... meh, forget it.

Plus, as our resident real estate guru JimRome99 mentioned, a good realtor will get you your share while getting his/her share... and that's fine with me.

89coupe
06-22-2010, 08:54 AM
I don't see where there are any hassles or headaches. I will list it at a price thats non negotiable, take or leave it.

It will be priced to sell.

You can get Contract of Purchase and Sale of Real Property forms online for $15.

http://legaldeeds.com/Interface/Services/Conveyances/Canada/AB/contract_of_purchase_and_sale_of_real_property/questionnaire.php

Simple.

If more people took the time to do it themselves, people could save a lot of money. The internet has made things so easy now that I don't see the need for a realtor.

masoncgy
06-22-2010, 10:08 AM
People still need to view the property... usually more than once. It's not just as easy as putting up an ad with a couple of pictures and waiting for someone to buy it.

I'm busy enough as it is each day, I don't want the 'hassle' of dealing with people coming in and out... with all the phone calls, emails, etc that come along with it. No thanks, someone else can do that work for me.

Each of us see 'value' differently. For me, there is value in a realtor to do the things I don't want to do.

Good luck with your sale... I'll check back here and see how it goes for you.

barmanjay
06-22-2010, 11:35 AM
I was going to offer you some good advice,.. but you aren't willing to pay for it,.. so I'm just going to be a smart ass :angel:

fyi: calgary sales month-to-date: 1095,.. last year month-to-date: 1826

Good Luck!

bimmere92
06-22-2010, 11:36 AM
When listing it yourself through kijiji, welist etc. you are targeting a minute percentage of buyers. A realtor will not show your house knowing he will not obtain a commission (or minimal commission) and rather his buyer settle on another house through a realtor... where his commission is typically 3.5/1.5.

My realtor I deal with stated the same thing... he worked out better fee's on his end of things, but still said we should indicate 3.5/1.5 to external realtors.

I agree and think realtors are overpaid for the work they are doing... but what do you do?

89coupe
06-22-2010, 11:41 AM
You simply state in your for sale ads that you are willing to give a realtor a flat fee if they bring a client.

If a realtor doesn't want to make $5000 for bringing a potential buyer then I don't want to deal with him/her PERIOD!

If a buyer wants my place, he or she will get it regardless of what their realtor wants.

LOL

If some realtor told me that he/she wasn't willing to deal with a seller because they won't agree with their commission rates I would tell him or her to go suck it and I will deal with the seller myself.

Cos
06-22-2010, 11:52 AM
^^ my realtor refused to look through welist/kijiji unless we found we absolutely loved. He said it was nothing but problems so he would look through MLS.

89coupe
06-22-2010, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Cos
^^ my realtor refused to look through welist/kijiji unless we found we absolutely loved. He said it was nothing but problems so he would look through MLS.

LOL, he's probably just saying that because he wants to make more money. Typical realtor.

whodiman
06-22-2010, 12:50 PM
If a realtor shows up with a client and my only cost is $5000 I think that's ok. Nowadays full service will cost quite a bit more than that.

Please give us regular updates on how fast your place is selling. I think everyone on Beyond is very interested in how well houses are moving in this market. :thumbsup:

Cos
06-22-2010, 01:06 PM

LOL, he's probably just saying that because he wants to make more money. Typical realtor.

That is pretty judgemental. It was my father in law and he took $0.00 comission on the sale. Obviously the sales realtor got some.

Edited the rest, everyone is entitled to their view I guess.

max_boost
06-22-2010, 01:22 PM
I wouldn't say blindly attack realtors. Just one of those things 89 doesn't see the value in. He'll have no problems dropping $1000 on dinner but on a realtor, hell no. :rofl:

lint
06-22-2010, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Cos
That is pretty judgemental. It was my father in law and he took $0.00 comission on the sale. Obviously the sales realtor got some.

Edited the rest, everyone is entitled to their view I guess.

I hate to say it, but I'm siding with 89 here. Your father in law might not have been in it for the money, but when he's making $0 commission he's not going to want to jump through hoops on welist/kijiji, he wants the easiest transaction he can get since he's not getting paid.

89coupe
06-22-2010, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
I wouldn't say blindly attack realtors. Just one of those things 89 doesn't see the value in. He'll have no problems dropping $1000 on dinner but on a realtor, hell no. :rofl:

I'm willing to drop $5000.00 on a realtor.

Anyways, I will be listing it in about two weeks time. Just waiting on a furniture order & blind order before I list.

Gotta make it completely show ready.

I will keep you guys posted.

If anyone wants details or photos on the place just PM me.

Cos
06-22-2010, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by lint

I hate to say it, but I'm siding with 89 here. Your father in law might not have been in it for the money, but when he's making $0 commission he's not going to want to jump through hoops on welist/kijiji, he wants the easiest transaction he can get since he's not getting paid.

I just dont agree as 89C blindly paints all realtors with the same brush.

Ed said he hates dealing with We List because half the deals he puts together fall through because the seller doesnt do something right because they dont have a realtor. He worked really really hard for us, oldest daughter buying first house, he busted his tail to get us a good deal.

max_boost
07-08-2010, 01:02 AM
Updates bro?