PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Accident questions

ramminghard
12-15-2003, 07:43 PM
I did a search on this but just wanted to verify a couple things.

My car was hit and her insurance is paying to fix it. So i can take it to any body shop that i want to to get fixed. Do i need a couple quotes or is there a limit as to what it can cost.

There is front end damage. i was wondering what it takes for insurance to write off a car. There will be well well over $1000 damage. I was trying to sell the car. Can i get them to write it off or buy me out or something like that. What would the black book value of a 1990 Toyota Celica GT-S with 170000km be? How would i go about trying to get them to write it off or buy me out if its possible.

My sister was in the car and she had her seat belt on. The seat belt did not lock and she was flung forward and the back into the seat. The seat belt did absolutely nothing. Is there anything i can do to get compensation from toyota or do i have to use her insurance again for that.

Also any body shop recomendations would be great. I would like the best job done that i can get and her insurance is paying so price isn't as much of an issue.

2literv8eater
12-15-2003, 08:56 PM
go to the toyota dealer for highest price and 2 more garages that are good for mid range and lowest prices

FiveFreshFish
12-15-2003, 09:42 PM
1. You might be asked to get 3 quotes and she or her insurance company has the right to pay the lowest quote. That's how it used to be years ago. Don't know about what it's like now.

2. Your car is probably worth more than $1000. If it's close, then the insurance company may choose to write it off. You can negotiate the proposed value; never accept the first figure they offer unless you feel it's fair or in your favour.

3. First, get compensation from her insurance company as that would be the easiest route. Then chat with a lawyer and see if you have a case against the manufacturer. I don't think getting an insurance settlement precludes suing the manufacturer. :dunno:

4. Body shops I've heard are good: Continental, Concours, and Lo-Cost.

(edit for typo)

ramminghard
12-15-2003, 11:50 PM
If she wants does she have the option of buying my car? A police report has been filled out and my insurance company has been contacted. I want to get rid of the car to clear my debts and there is now way i can sell it now because of the damage.

FiveFreshFish
12-16-2003, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by ramminghard
If she wants does she have the option of buying my car? A police report has been filled out and my insurance company has been contacted. I want to get rid of the car to clear my debts and there is now way i can sell it now because of the damage.

I'm not sure why she would want to buy your car. What would she gain from it, except to avoid a claim?

Btw, it's now a claim regardless because of a potential injury to your sister. Anytime there's bodily injury, the insurance company has to get involved and a claim must be processed. The other driver is now out of the picture as far as you're concerned. It will be her insurance company now calling the shots.

Maybe someone working for an insurance company can clarify this.

ramminghard
12-16-2003, 12:36 AM
that makes sense.

Loose
12-16-2003, 10:07 AM
if i were your sister, i'd sue you as the owner of the vehicle with malfunctioning safety equipment.

RC-Cola
12-16-2003, 10:35 AM
Typically the person's insurance company will tell you to take the car to an adjuster or have an adjuster come out and look at the car. They will figure out how much damage is done to the car and what the car is worth. When judging the value of your car they will always look at the lowest value of your car's black book value. Sometimes they will look at what the car is selling for in the local marketplace. If I were you and it's close, I would start clipping ads from the auto trader and newspapers that are simular to your car. The insurance company will ALWAYS lowball your car. You have to remember they aren't in the business to give away money.

You can check prices at www.kbb.com - Keep in mind that it's US pricing.

Good Luck...

rc2002
12-16-2003, 10:35 AM
Everytime we've made a claim the insurance company that was paying for the car got to pick the body shop. Or it picked it's own and allowed us to get our own quote. Then it looked at the prices to see which to go with.

Zero102
12-16-2003, 11:51 PM
Hmm, for what it's worth, I've been there a few times, I think my car may be cursed. Anyhoo, the important thing is, which insurance company are you dealing with? That makes a big difference. I have dealt with Allianz before, they ask for 3 quotes, pay the average (usually they toss the high one first though), and they will not request that you take it to their body shop or any of that B.S. You should have the right to pick your own body shop. Next thing, I have some bad news about your sister, don't let it get out that her seatbelt failure is the reason for her injury, if it gets out, then she has lost any right for compensation from the other insurance company. However she does have the right to go after yours (scary, huh?) because you are operating a vehicle with non-functioning safety equipment, just like if a wheel fell off or whatever. I doubt they would write off your car for $1000, unless it's in piss poor condition (which I also doubt), so you shouldn't worry too much there. The option you have, is when you settle for the car, you could sell it and they have to compensate you for the difference in selling price (if you do not wish to fix the car), as an alternative to writing it off. I will give you a little warning, now that you have 1 not-at-fault accident on your record, keep a close eye on your insurance policy, mine jacked up my rates, even though it wasn't my fault, and the sad thing is it's legal.

there's my 2 cents, hope it was of some help.

ramminghard
12-17-2003, 02:14 AM
i got a body quote from toyota today. $4000 plus a good possibility of hidden and frame damage.

Thanks for the tips on the seatbelt. She won't be copming after me for any compensation. That will be the other person's insurance.

I checked on the write off policy and they told me that i would get actaual cash value not black book value. This celica is actaually a rare car and they are in pretty high demand.

Zero102
12-17-2003, 03:02 PM
They wrote off my 85 mazda 626 a couple years ago, well not technically, as in, it's not on the title, but they gave me the money, and told me to go buy a new car (they gave me about 1/2 the repair estimates), so that's close enough, to determine what they gave me, they looked in the bargain finder for that day, and for 3 months ago, and averaged the values. I felt it was fairly reasonable, and it is my understanding that this is how most insurance companies work, however, there are still some that go by blue book value, so watch out.

Still, be careful about the seat-belt, she has a right to claim on the other guy's insurance, but now you're in some hazy territory, if you weren't at fault, then get a lawyer, because they will use that little detail against you.