PDA

View Full Version : Possible catastrophy resulting from BP spill .... hope this isn't true.

nonofyobiz
06-21-2010, 11:23 PM
1/2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMEr4FctWAM)

2/2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4hfGY6i75w&feature=related)

TYMSMNY
06-21-2010, 11:54 PM
same thing from a forest fire... no? :eek:

bituerbo
06-22-2010, 12:31 AM
Guy sounds like a conspiracy theorist. I don't buy what he's saying. Some 'nobody' is going to be breaking this story on youtube before any other world media outlet? And the cheezy slideshow of a smiling Obama then a p-shopped 'tsunami' wave?
10+ minutes of talking, no proof.

Waste of time...

Edit: Okay these types of people actually piss me off, same with these videos. Fucking propeganda, nothing behind anything this guy is saying "INSIDER SOURCES AT BP AND US GOV'T" bullshit. You can't name names because you're making this whole thing up. You just want people to go and hide underground because you told them to. Eat some gulf of mexico crawfish and die already.

vengie
06-22-2010, 12:33 AM
Coast to Coast radio... :nut:

/thread

ZenOps
06-22-2010, 08:37 AM
That one has a certain amount of science based accuracy too.

Methane based bubble, is probably what caused the Aban Pearl to sink. Although that was probably a very very gradual ionized bubble mixing in with seawater - as they had adequate time to get everyone off the rig.

A sudden release of a methane is probably what caused the explosion in the first place, if there is another one, and it happens in its currently non-captured state, there could be a significant amount of methane released into open ocean.

Would it be enough to create a tsunami of signficance? I'd say no. The pipe is not wide enough, and the methane is so deep that and pressure so high, that it would actually mix into the seawater.

But then again, I guess thats what this guy is suggesting, methane hitting a critical saturation point in the water - where its forced back into a gaseous state all at once... It does happen, but more often than not, you get a gigantic fireball (and I mean gigantic) on the surface of the ocean and not a tsunami *if* there is an ignition source.

Marsh gas is a more common occurance in ponds than open ocean.

Could a very calm ocean beach, accidentally spontaneously combust? My magic 8-ball says unlikely, due to high winds of the upcoming hurricane season. Can you smell the methane on beaches? You bet you can.

Yes, capping the pressure of the well entirely to capture all of the oil is dangerous. It could cause the whole structure to just pop out of its anchors and make even a bigger hole. I don't think anyone disagrees with that - its why they aren't capturing all of it right now.

A Gas bubble directly underneath the cap - could in theory easily levitate and/or implode a 100-tonne wellhead at those depths and pressures...