PDA

View Full Version : Work van...opinions?

97'Scort
06-22-2010, 12:09 AM
In my continuing search to find a work vehicle so I'm not hauling speakers in my BMW anymore, I came across this:

http://www.seafunauto.com/vehicles?itemid=1289

Breakdown:

1995 Dodge Caravan Cargo
135xxx km
3.0L V6, Auto, FWD
Has the bulkhead installed and tow hitch

Back in the day we had an old Plymouth Voyager, which is essentially the same van. Ran well from what I remember. I'm going to have a look-see tomorrow after work. Anyone have some opinions on this one? Specifically, I'm curious about the price...it seems high for that year, but the mileage is retardedly low for the age of the car.

turbotrip
06-22-2010, 01:03 AM
price is high, 1200ish would be a good deal

97'Scort
06-22-2010, 01:29 AM
That's what I was thinking too, but I have nothing other than my gut to base it on. Toyota finally wised up and killed their CBB access from their "Build and Price" page...

Masked Bandit
06-22-2010, 07:23 AM
I don't think it's high at all. Commercial vehicles (cargo vans) always demand a higher price if they are in decent shape.

My old man in an electrician and has had a couple Dodge Caravan's as work vans over the years and has really, really liked them. His vans are always loaded close to capacity and he has no problem getting 300,000 km out of them. He's currently using a Chev Astro but he said he would rather have one of the Dodge's back if he could find one in decent condition.

Cos
06-22-2010, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by 97'Scort
That's what I was thinking too, but I have nothing other than my gut to base it on. Toyota finally wised up and killed their CBB access from their "Build and Price" page...

They did it because the CBB now offers it free to anyone.

toastgremlin
06-22-2010, 01:41 PM
If I may make a suggestion, try looking for a Volkswagen Transporter T3 cargo van. It's the same as the "Eurovan" passenger van but has a nice low load floor, big weight capacity and tons of headroom in the back.

You should be able to pick up a 5-cyl gasoline model for cheap or a 5-cyl diesel model for slightly more; there were some on Calgary Kijiji last week, and there's probably way more in Vancouver considering VWs were always more popular there. They are relatively reliable, especially in manual transmission form, and pretty nimble.

edit: The camper version is really expensive, but the others don't hold their value to such an obscene degree.

97'Scort
06-22-2010, 09:49 PM
I'm too late on this one, it sold already. No way in holy hell am I ever going to buy a T3, they're the most obnoxious top heavy pieces of shit short of a Delica.

My budget is essentially $2k and I'm not expecting much. I would really prefer a van like the one I posted but I'm looking at regular minivans and Safari-type vans too.

Ukyo8
06-22-2010, 09:53 PM
That price is stupid high, Ive been through 2 dodge caravans for work, the first one I bought for $250 which ive been using for 8 months now, and the second one I bought for $150 but I had no need for it anymore so I sold it.

Im sure you could easily find one for less than 500 through a private sale if you look hard enough and haggle a little bit.

FiveFreshFish
06-22-2010, 10:00 PM
A transverse-mounted V6 engine in a minivan isn't fun to work on.

97'Scort
06-22-2010, 10:16 PM
I agree, but it's the best option for what I need it to do...I don't plan on modding it :)

AndyL
06-22-2010, 10:33 PM
Fullsize vans are cheaper than minivans... Especially cargo vans - you can pickup a 2000+ at regal for 12-1500 any weekend... Look for a diesel, and you probably wont regret it - the 7.3psd / 6.5 aren't too shabby in the early 2000s

97'Scort
06-23-2010, 12:14 AM
I should maybe add that I have a height restriction of 6'4", which is the clearance in my condo's parking garage. Hence why I'm after a minivan or a cargo version thereof...I'm limited by height. I've tried getting a full size in there but no go.

project240
06-23-2010, 07:58 AM
I've got a Safari van for work.

It is full size, AWD and has lots of room for everything. It was a passenger van when I bought it, but I ripped out the interior and built some shelving/etc.

It was pretty cheap and has worked out great for me for a work vehicle.

AndyL
06-23-2010, 08:02 AM
I should maybe add that I have a height restriction of 6'4", which is the clearance in my condo's parking garage.
Ouch - you should get your condo board to fix that - minimum code requirement is 6'8" :)

Masked Bandit
06-23-2010, 08:32 AM
One other thing I forgot to mention. Take a look at the Dodge passenger vans instead of the cargo vans. They're obviously much easier to find and I think my dad said that once you removed the seats on the passenger van the load capacity was actually more than the cargo van. Straight from the factory obviously the cargo van rating was higher but only by a little bit. Once you remove the weight of the seats in the passenger van it worked out to be slightly better overall.

Tik-Tok
06-23-2010, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by AndyL

Ouch - you should get your condo board to fix that - minimum code requirement is 6'8" :)

On new builds... in Alberta...

OP is in Vic.

Like Masked Bandit said, find a decent used passenger van and just rip out the seats. It's going to be your 2ndary vehicle anyways right? Keep the front 2 and toss the rest, no matter what make/model it is.

toastgremlin
06-23-2010, 09:30 AM
I'm too late on this one, it sold already. No way in holy hell am I ever going to buy a T3, they're the most obnoxious top heavy pieces of shit short of a Delica. I actually meant to write T4; I agree with your opinion of the Vanagon.

97'Scort
06-23-2010, 10:00 AM
Yeah, that's what I'm browsing. I have a line on an Aerostar with AWD that looks promising and is in my price range.

The door on our condo is 6'8"...but the massive amounts of piping that run on the roof are 6'4". We've had issues before with people trying to park large vehicles in there.

SRT
06-23-2010, 03:07 PM
kijiji.ca and look at Chrysler vans. I would avoid the Ford van.

masoncgy
06-23-2010, 03:12 PM
Chevy Astro/GMC Safari vans make great work vehicles... the 4.3L V6 is a good engine, transmissions are solid and they are a basic rear-drive platform, so easy to service & fix as needed.

They use a little more gas than something like a Caravan or a Venture/Montana, but you get more room and a pretty reliable work horse.

Vanner
06-28-2010, 08:49 PM
Having drove many vans myself ... I can say the Chrysler/Dodge cargo minivans were great little work vans. With V6 engine as long it's left in stock - will last pretty good. The Chevy/GMC minivans like Astro models are also great and is RWD which is somewhat one level better over the Chrysler/Dodge in towing and loading inside. Yes, a bit more gas as well, but over a long period works out equal anyway.

Ford minivans are good with V6 - they can last quite long with regular tuneups . Same in speaking with above paragraph. Each brand have their cons and pros. I've noticed that the Dodge cargo minivans are getting tougher to find, yet the Chevy/GMC cargo minivans are most plenty to find. Ford seems to be in middle in market-wise.

Here is something you might want to look in - Mazda MPVs. Yes, there were never cargo models (only window vans) ... but they do make darn good work van! I have one in use and I've already made a trip to BC with a heavy load full of auto parts (V8 engine was in among!). Get good mileage in there.

Yeah, many people are using window vans as work vans. no difference since they are for work and are cheap to buy.

btimbit
06-28-2010, 09:01 PM
Chevy Van, Astro/Safari, all good choices. I used a 1989 Chevy Van for work and the thing just never quit!

97'Scort
06-29-2010, 08:41 PM
I have a line on an 89 Safari cargo van. Guy says the brakes need to be done. I'm hoping to go have a look at it tomorrow.

97'Scort
07-05-2010, 01:08 AM
That van turned out to be a massive piece of shit. Windows smashed to hell, no paint left on the roof, interior was mouldy and the tires were flat. Guy wanted $2k for it too.

Anyways, I'm going to check this out tomorrow:

http://marlinmotors.islandcarbuyer.com/listing/1993_mazda_b2200_32953.html

Any opinions? He seemed willing to get the price down ($1200 or so) which even at this mileage would be good. I'd just have to track down a canopy.

97'Scort
07-13-2010, 11:12 PM
Picked up a pretty sweet 1992 Mazda B2200, plus cab, with a canopy. Runs like a top, only a small little rust patch that will get cut out very soon, 350k and purring nicely. $1300!

To do list:
- detail
- new tailgate latch
- new rear bumper
- plugs, oil, belts, brakes, and any other misc maintenance items I can think of

Looking forward to taking her to my gig this saturday :D Pics to come.

derran.m
07-14-2010, 08:20 AM
damn I caught you too late ...

high river was recently inundated with philipino's ... they all got cheap chrysler minivan's ... now their visa's have expired and they are dropping like fly's ... guy who brought them all in is selling their minivan's ... late 90 models, great shape, $1200