PDA

View Full Version : Mini? Review - Vietnam Fortune

Gooseberry
06-22-2010, 01:08 PM
I had an hour or so to waste down in Kensington this afternoon so i migrated to the nearest pho place. :D

Which turned out to be Vietnam Fortune. Once i read no 'Pho' on the name i should have taken a hint and turned elsewhere. :(

Vietnam Fortune
Tel: 403.270.7110
1443B Kensington Rd NW
Calgary, AB, T2N-3R1
http://www.vietnamfortune.ca/

Ambiance: 3/5

The decor compared to other places i frequent, looks much nicer. Though only thing that stood out was some fixtures with those movable spotlights.

Service: 4/5

Didn't expect this, but they actually came to check up on me while i was eating. Though keep in mind, there were only around 3 tables there and as i ate.

Food: 1/5

Pho was stringy, meat looked shriveled, the soup tasted like they boiled water in a vat of mint leaves since it was way too strong. Size was comparable to a 'small' at any other competent place.

Still hungry, i ordered the shrimp salad rolls which they brought out in record time. Dipping sauce was watery,
greens tasted old and just... :barf:

But i was hungry. :(

Pricing 1/5

As i looked at the menu, there was no indication on M,L or XL sizes for the pho. There was only one choice and it looked much more expensive than other places i've been to.

$9 for Rare Beef & Beef Ball Rice Noodle Soup (#27).
$6.25 for Shrimp Salad Rolls (#4)

Price compared to portion and taste. :barf:

Overall 1/5

:thumbsdow :thumbsdow

GQBalla
06-22-2010, 01:41 PM
usually places that don't have pho in their name serve better vermicilli or rice dishes.

takkyu
06-22-2010, 02:21 PM
sorry to hear about your terrible experience, havn't been there myself and after hearing that, I won't be.

2 weeks ago a friend introduced me to a place on 17th/forestlawn. best pho beef sate i've had so far, http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/15/191281/restaurant/17th-Ave-SE/Pho-Dau-Bo-Vietnamese-Beef-Noodle-House-Calgary

4lti
06-22-2010, 02:31 PM
The dirtier the pho restaurant the better the pho hahhaah.

dj_rice
06-22-2010, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by 4lti

The more heads of black hair you see, the better the pho

Phenix
06-22-2010, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by 4lti

Usually so true. There is a good place by my work off of 32nd, called Basil. It's clean and has pretty decent Pho and other food too.

Although the prices are pretty close to the ones in this thread.

Check it out

dj_rice
06-22-2010, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Phenix

Usually so true. There is a good place by my work off of 32nd, called Basil. It's clean and has pretty decent Pho and other food too.

Check it out

Bullllllllllllllllllllllshit

No good pho is to be had a place that calls themself Basil Ultimate Pho and Fine Vietnamese Cuisine

Come to the hood and hit up Pho Xuan, Pho Dau Ba, Pho Rang Dong, Pho Du May Mi, Pho Con Cuc, you see a pattern here?They all have Pho with a Vietnamese name after it.

Phenix
06-22-2010, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice

No good pho is to be had a place that calls themself Basil Ultimate Pho and Fine Vietnamese Cuisine

Come to the hood and hit up Pho Xuan, Pho Dau Ba, Pho Rang Dong, Pho Du May Mi, Pho Con Cuc, you see a pattern here?They all have Pho with a Vietnamese name after it.

Awesome, I'm up for that any day. Love Pho!

only been to a few places in the hood. Pho 88 off of 17th then one pho place beside forest lawn high school.

Gonna have to try those other places though.

Have you been to the one across from the peter laugheed? It has Pho in its name

dj_rice
06-22-2010, 05:22 PM

Awesome, I'm up for that any day. Love Pho!

only been to a few places in the hood. Pho 88 off of 17th then one pho place beside forest lawn high school.

Gonna have to try those other places though.

Have you been to the one across from the peter laugheed? It has Pho in its name

Pho place beside Forest Lawn is Pho Rang Dong.

Pho is simple, noodles, good broth, and meat/veggies. When you start getting pretentious and fancy, thats when u know its shit which from reading Basil's menu it is. Basically its to cater to the white folks, and they can't really tell good pho from bad pho. Its like Vietnamese Submarines. And $8.50 for a Pho Dac Biet?Holy shit, I remember when an XL use to be $6.50 maybe.

Phenix
06-22-2010, 05:27 PM
How about the place across from the hospital?

I'm a big fan of the Satay Beef. best place for that?

max_boost
06-22-2010, 05:54 PM
It is no competition. The BEST hands down is Pho Hoai in Chinatown in the little mall. I think they were the first Pho restaurant in Calgary.

Otherwise, dj_rice' Pho comments are fairly accurate as well. Always a funny read, especially when he throws in the do ma etc. lol

flipstah
06-22-2010, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
usually places that don't have pho in their name serve better vermicilli or rice dishes.

OMFG. I just had a mindfuck.

diamondedge
06-22-2010, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice

:rofl: Pho Con Cuc

-TOFU-
06-22-2010, 07:09 PM

Check it out

I went to Basil a couple times and it was actually pretty good, I dont know if its true or not, but when I was there the table across from us said that the owner of Pho Dau Bo also ownes Basil. :dunno:

bignerd
06-28-2010, 12:34 AM
Does anyone know the name of this dish and a place in Calgary that has it? I had it in Victoria at a Viet restuarant there, was a soup, slightly spicey with deep fried tofu in it, onions, pineapple and had rice on the side to add to it. Was maybe a sort of tomato based broth(similar to Tom Yung Goong soup but not as hot)? But could be wrong on that.

Was soooo good.

Too bad about Vietnam Fortune, I love the satay beef with green peppers and onions there.

desto2para
06-28-2010, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by bignerd
Does anyone know the name of this dish and a place in Calgary that has it? I had it in Victoria at a Viet restuarant there, was a soup, slightly spicey with deep fried tofu in it, onions, pineapple and had rice on the side to add to it. Was maybe a sort of tomato based broth(similar to Tom Yung Goong soup but not as hot)? But could be wrong on that.

Was soooo good.

Too bad about Vietnam Fortune, I love the satay beef with green peppers and onions there.

soup sounds like bun bo hue

yea I used to work there feel years back, seems like it went down hill when I left

96integra
06-28-2010, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by bignerd

Was soooo good.

Canh Chua? or Bun Rieu

dj_rice
06-28-2010, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by 96integra

Canh Chua? or Bun Rieu

I think its Canh Chua, Bun Rieu is typically served with vermicelli and has crab/seafood in it

GQBalla
06-28-2010, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by -TOFU-

I went to Basil a couple times and it was actually pretty good, I dont know if its true or not, but when I was there the table across from us said that the owner of Pho Dau Bo also ownes Basil. :dunno:

Basil is owned by the old owners of Pho Dau Bo.

sure the name is weird but the pho there is actually pretty good,

Pho Hoai in the chinese mall is good too, close to work

brownchild
06-28-2010, 09:33 AM
Anyone been to TNK in Monterey? There sate's different then every other place I've been to, the spices are overwhelming, the owner said its how its actually supposed to be, that their authentic, and other places aren't. The other dishes are really good, and same with their non-sate pho soups.

Pho Kim off 16th ave is one of my faves, same with Pho Xuan in Marlborough.

LongCity
07-02-2010, 12:52 AM
Pho Xuan sucks - one of the most bland broths I have ever tasted. It was good about 4 years ago, though, and the place is dirty as hell. There's shit all over the floors and it's carpeted. Basal "Ultimate" Pho is pretentious and waaay overpriced. It's almost $10 for a deceptive giant bowl that has about the same amount as a large at most places. First time I went there I turned away after reading the part after the word Basil but at a later time tried it out and it wasn't bad. Not worth the price though. TNK is also terrible. If you like Saigon Y2K, you will like this place. Pretty much the same thing and also was told some time ago they are old owners of Y2K. The meat they use at Y2K is super shitty; chewy, which also carried over to this place.