PDA

View Full Version : Nice easy trails in Calgary

timdog
06-22-2010, 03:46 PM
I realize there are a ton of trails everywhere in Calgary, but is there anything specific people can recommend for a nice simple bike ride? I am looking more for something involving nice scenery, and not very difficult (bringin the wife). Something like Fish Creek Park perhaps?

Phenix
06-22-2010, 04:01 PM
well from fish creek you can go anywhere in the city. the big paths are very extensive. Eau clair might be another option for you guys, it's also close to the zoo

msommers
06-22-2010, 04:22 PM
Around the reservoir is nice. There is one spot that sucks but otherwise easy. Even along memorial and around Bowness park is alright.

Mitsu3000gt
06-22-2010, 11:29 PM
Fish Creek (TONS of trail there), Eau Claire, around the reservoir, along the river, etc. Pretty much what has already been said.

With very little deviation from the paved/shale trails, you can ride from Fish Creek down by Evergreen (or further East, as far as Lake Sikome or further), past the reservoir and all the way to Eau Claire and beyond.

timdog
06-23-2010, 08:12 AM
cool - thanks for all the ideas

redline
06-23-2010, 09:39 AM
Do you just want a casual bike ride or do you want to go mountain biking?

swak
06-23-2010, 10:47 AM
i rode the canal out to chestermere yesterday, nice trail.. not MTB though, but definitely a nice pathway to cruise down...

... well, some parts of the pathway felt like you needed a MTB for (all rooted up paths, etc..)

timdog
06-23-2010, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by redline
Do you just want a casual bike ride or do you want to go mountain biking?

casual bike ride. I am ok with some elevation gains and whatnot but mainly looking for paved or atleast 'flattened earth' type trails that are good for two people just looking to get out in the sun and off the couch. the two of us are in decent shape, so a bit of a challenge is ok.
Fish creek park sounds really good, I am thinking we could ride around the area for a while and stop and have a little picnic or snack.

bigbadboss101
06-23-2010, 06:51 PM
Edworthy to Eau Claire. Be careful about parking at Edworthy though. Friend of mine got his car broken into.

Around the reservoir is good too.

timdog
06-25-2010, 10:33 AM
good idea. i live close enough to eau claire where i could bike right there, go to edworthy and bike back. no car needed.

core_upt
06-25-2010, 10:42 AM
if you're close to eau claire, the path system is great for getting around.... head West to Edworthy (though, that's only about 20 mins) and continue into Bowness, or head East around the zoo, and follow the river all the way to Fishcreek (a few hours there and back).
Bring a lock and some water, and pick out a place to grab a lunch or a beer.
Pathways are great as there is no car traffic to deal with, just walkers/runners/dogs/etc.... use a bell and you'll be fine.

A bike ride to a patio for a beer is a great Saturday afternoon!

scat330
06-25-2010, 02:42 PM
I love biking from Crowfoot to 17ave and back. Good fun!

swak
06-25-2010, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by scat330
I love biking from Crowfoot to 17ave and back. Good fun!

What do you ride?

scat330
06-29-2010, 04:17 PM
Nothing fancy, just a Raleigh mountain bike from Bowcycle... Casual ride, not hardcore gear, flipflops and shorts haha!

sputnik
06-29-2010, 08:25 PM
http://www.calgary.ca/docgallery/BU/engineering_services/emaps/bicycle_pathways_map.pdf

ekguy
07-03-2010, 12:21 AM
My gf and I have been hitting fishcreek since april on our bikes and there's a pretty varied amount of trails. From actual technical stuff to simple paved and gravel trails.

From Fishcreek you can hit the Bow River Pathway pretty easily and there's lot's to see.