PDA

View Full Version : New Radar type in construction by cross iron mills?

stinky_1
06-22-2010, 06:35 PM
Hey guys,

I live in airdrie and drive back and forth to calgary a lot. I have seen the police shooting radar all the time right by the cross iron mills.

the weird thing is that each time my radar detector never seems to go off. Its not brand new, maybe 3 years old. I had X band turned off. So I turned that back one, drove through and got nothing. The police man was certainly shooting, since I saw his head in the tripod mount.

The next time through I figured maybe they were using a laser, and were only shooting the fast lane? So, I jumped into the fast lane and drove right past them. Still nothing!

Has anyone had a similar experience? And if so, do we know if they have a new radar or laser band? or is this something else that is going on?

I have also observed this when coming back from Edmonton just outside airdrie on the north side of town. So, I am just concerned that I am not able to pick up this new stuff. If anyone has a detector that HAS worked in that particular zone, can you tell me what your unit said it was using?

Any Police Officers on here that want to share the information>

ryder_23
06-22-2010, 06:37 PM
Sounds like laser, and your detector doesn't work.

Xtrema
06-22-2010, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by stinky_1
Any Police Officers on here that want to share the information>

Right, CPS is under budget and may cut 55 staff and you want to ask them how they can collect less $$?

:rofl:

Originally posted by ryder_23
Sounds like laser, and your detector doesn't work.

stinky_1
06-22-2010, 06:59 PM
my laser detector has worked many times on laser, I am not sure how to check it other than to drive through a known laser trap

I never said anything about trying to give them less money. There is a reason they have never given me a ticket through there, and it has NOTHING to do with a detector that works or not.

I am the jerk in the fast lane with the cruise set at the speed limit in construction zones. I pull over into the middle lane just in time for the retard behind me to speed up and get pulled over. So, in a way I am actually HELPING the people who deserve a ticket to get it, by fueling them up on some road rage before they tear off in a construction zone putting innocent peoples lives at risk

So, back to the question....... has anyone had their detector go off in that area for laser then?

zieg
06-22-2010, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by stinky_1
fueling them up on some road rage before they tear off in a construction zone putting innocent peoples lives at risk

right...... good plan. :banghead:

NewLextasy
06-22-2010, 07:29 PM
There is a new band out that RCMP have... CPS doesn't have it yet... I forget what it is tho, like Km or something. I need my detector/jammed updated now. I got a small speeding ticket in airdrie the other day and it was the first time my radar didn't go off... Then today I saw them doing radar and drove by with nothing getting picked up.

rampagesauce
06-22-2010, 07:39 PM
sooo time for a new detector? mines about 2yrs old and i wanna pick up what their puttin down.

5G_celica
06-22-2010, 07:56 PM
well the cop has hit you directly for you detector to pick it up laser. just cause there is a trap it doesn't mean they peg every car.

maybe they just didn't shoot you.

Integra10
06-22-2010, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by NewLextasy
There is a new band out that RCMP have... CPS doesn't have it yet... I forget what it is tho, like Km or something. I need my detector/jammed updated now. I got a small speeding ticket in airdrie the other day and it was the first time my radar didn't go off... Then today I saw them doing radar and drove by with nothing getting picked up.

It's a pity it did't go off when you got that ticket for going double the speed limit too eh? :facepalm:

ROBOCOP
06-22-2010, 08:26 PM
I doubt it's a new band, most likely just laser. The laser (light) beam is much narrower than the waves sent out by regular radar so it can be very hard to detect at times, and if you are close enough, you can be hit by laser without your radar detector going off at all.

These guns transmit a beam of infrared light at a frequency of 330 terahertz. This light beam is only 18 inches wide at 500 feet and gets smaller as you approach the officer.

This narrow light beam is aimed by the officer to a reflective area on your vehicle, such as your headlamps or front license plate. The officer can only use the laser gun while he is stationary.

Unless your radar detector is within this 18" circle, or it picks up "scatter" from the beam, your radar detector will never alert. And by chance it does, it is too late as the officer has already obtained your speed.

-RadarBusters

Use this to test your radar detector's laser detection:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Laser-Tester-tests-radar-detectors-IR-diffuser-jammer-/390062120393?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item5ad1839dc9

you&me
06-22-2010, 08:40 PM

You've already got yet another ticket and you bring it up after the last shit storm on here?

I know plenty of people with exotics that don't get nearly as many tickets... want me to ask them how they manage to drive un-douchy?

NewLextasy
06-22-2010, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Integra10

It's a pity it did't go off when you got that ticket for going double the speed limit too eh? :facepalm:

Reading owns you.... It was an estimated ticket there was no radar involved

NewLextasy
06-22-2010, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by you&me

You've already got yet another ticket and you bring it up after the last shit storm on here?

I know plenty of people with exotics that don't get nearly as many tickets... want me to ask them how they manage to drive un-douchy?

Douchy?? I got a ticket for 6 km/h over in a 60 zone...

NewLextasy
06-22-2010, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by ROBOCOP
I doubt it's a new band, most likely just laser. The laser (light) beam is much narrower than the waves sent out by regular radar so it can be very hard to detect at times, and if you are close enough, you can be hit by laser without your radar detector going off at all.

Use this to test your radar detector's laser detection:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Laser-Tester-tests-radar-detectors-IR-diffuser-jammer-/390062120393?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item5ad1839dc9

Lasers have to held completely still hence why 90% of the time they r on tripods.... This was a dash radar on the cop car when he was coming towards me... He had nothing better to do then do a u turn and give me a 6km/h over ticket

civic_ek4
06-22-2010, 09:00 PM
why not check Bell, Whister or V1 website for more info?

6 km/h over - that's BS

you&me
06-22-2010, 09:19 PM

Douchy?? I got a ticket for 6 km/h over in a 60 zone...

If that's the case see here (http://forums.beyond.ca/st/301973/legit-ticket-or-quota-filler-cps-power-tripping-content-inside/)

Regardless, you seem to get a lot more tickets than any other (exotic or otherwise) driver I know... coincidence?

Xtrema
06-22-2010, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by civic_ek4
why not check Bell, Whister or V1 website for more info?

6 km/h over - that's BS

Lambo get the attention, sometimes unwanted ones.

Why you need sleepers. :D

NewLextasy
06-22-2010, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by you&me

If that's the case see here (http://forums.beyond.ca/st/301973/legit-ticket-or-quota-filler-cps-power-tripping-content-inside/)

Regardless, you seem to get a lot more tickets than any other (exotic or otherwise) driver I know... coincidence?

You don't know me... You know of 2 tickets I have gotten because of beyond and that's more then any other driver you know??

Ok then :thumbsup:

bituerbo
06-22-2010, 11:34 PM
Sounds like Laser. They don't aim at your windshield, they aim at your center mass (aka grill). My grill-mounted JAMMER goes off when my windshield-mounted detector doesn't, because they are aiming so low.

NewLextasy
06-23-2010, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by bituerbo
Sounds like Laser. They don't aim at your windshield, they aim at your center mass (aka grill). My grill-mounted JAMMER goes off when my windshield-mounted detector doesn't, because they are aiming so low.

OP was laser for sure cause it was on tripod he said.... But mine was radar on the dash of the car well he was driving. Can't do that with laser gun

Tomaz
06-23-2010, 12:34 AM

You don't know me...
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/HPM/SM2041~Cartman-s-Hot-Body-Posters.jpg

v2kai
06-23-2010, 12:50 AM
confirmed its laser. I drive that to work daily and they set my blinder off in that location frequently

RX_EVOLV
06-23-2010, 09:37 AM
hmm frequent laser trap by Airdrie eh... guess I gotta be more careful from now on for my weekly drive between EDM and CGY.

I'm using a 4 years old V1, and it's been pretty good at picking up laser and radar on the highway. Saved my ass this one time when it was pitch black ( 10pm) and it picked up a laser signal right when I was about to pass this car, so I braked. Lo and behold there was a cop on the right side of the street standing there tagging people with a laser gun. 2 mins later I was picking up a radar signal and there was a cop under the bridge. I'm guessing the first guy was tagging people then tell the second guy chase them down. Kind of dangerous though if you ask me, standing outside right beside the highway in the dark....

bituerbo
06-23-2010, 09:48 AM

OP was laser for sure cause it was on tripod he said.... But mine was radar on the dash of the car well he was driving. Can't do that with laser gun

What is your detector set to receive? K and Ka is used in Albert. I haven't come across X-band, or Ku band (I drove around for the first two years I had my detector with everything turned on).I have heard of no other 'new' bands the police are using and it doesn't make any sense. Any band of radar can still be detected before line of sight giving you a chance to slow down. With laser, the only countermeasure that works is an active jammer, which very few people are aware of. It would be taking a big step back in terms of speed enforcement.

NewLextasy
06-23-2010, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by bituerbo

What is your detector set to receive? K and Ka is used in Albert. I haven't come across X-band, or Ku band (I drove around for the first two years I had my detector with everything turned on).I have heard of no other 'new' bands the police are using and it doesn't make any sense. Any band of radar can still be detected before line of sight giving you a chance to slow down. With laser, the only countermeasure that works is an active jammer, which very few people are aware of. It would be taking a big step back in terms of speed enforcement.

Mine is set to K and Ka band with The laser Jammer always on... I have been told they are Using Ku band now

ryder_23
06-23-2010, 09:33 PM

Mine is set to K and Ka band with The laser Jammer always on... I have been told they are Using Ku band now

Who told you this? Maybe its true, maybe its not, but I think its a load of crap. Ku is ghetto, like almost X band ghetto. Greater chance you encountered an X band radar unit, and since you have it disabled its quite possible.

http://www.theiacp.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=OCj4QtaxEHE%3d&tabid=245

From what I get from this link, there isn't an conforming Ku unit to be used as a handheld or in car unit design.

bituerbo
06-23-2010, 10:29 PM
Another link: http://radartest.com/article.asp?articleid=100543
Ku band in ancient, moreso than X band, and it was too weak to be useful for speed measurement.