PDA

View Full Version : Setting up 100mbit connections in Middle East

bashir26
06-23-2010, 04:38 AM
How would one go about setting up their own internet service (like shaw is to calgary) and provide it to businesses and public consumers here in the Middle East?

Someone told me that I would have to contact some Internet company (don't know who) that has a satellite in space then they would rent me out a huge satellite dish that I would use down here?

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers

eblend
06-23-2010, 05:45 AM
Dude, not gonna lie, maybe it is too early, but wtf did you just say?

bashir26
06-23-2010, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by eblend
Dude, not gonna lie, maybe it is too early, but wtf did you just say?

:rofl: I posted that way too early... my first few sentences made no sense. I fixed it up now.

Basically what I'm asking is how does one setup an Internet provider company (Like Shaw in Calgary) In Middle Eastern countries and in Africa.

UndrgroundRider
06-23-2010, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by bashir26

:rofl: I posted that way too early... my first few sentences made no sense. I fixed it up now.

Basically what I'm asking is how does one setup an Internet provider company (Like Shaw in Calgary) In Middle Eastern countries and in Africa.

:clap:

:rofl:

:facepalm:

revelations
06-23-2010, 07:47 PM
A couple of things:

- you need to know the legislation (lawyers = $$$)

- you need good tech people ($$$)

- you need to pay off someone in the govt ($$$)

- basically.... well you get the idea

B13Boy
06-23-2010, 08:02 PM
I don't really think beyond is the best forum to ask a question like this but i second what revelations is saying I don't think it will be an easy task by any means.

Xtrema
06-23-2010, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by B13Boy
I don't really think beyond is the best forum to ask a question like this but i second what revelations is saying I don't think it will be an easy task by any means.

May be he's fund raising from Beyond millionaires.

davidI
06-23-2010, 09:11 PM
It's tough to start a multi-million dollar company in an industry that you obviously know nothing about.

Also, although my knowledge is limited, I believe a lot of the connections are made via sub-sea cables, not just satellites.

davidI
06-23-2010, 09:13 PM
Oh, and the "Middle East" is a pretty big place. The feasability will be completely different in every country. I believe a lot of the ISPs are gov't controlled if not gov't run. "Yemenet" always blocks all the cool $hit for me over here in Yemen.

mobius
06-23-2010, 09:15 PM
Setting up an internet backbone from a Satellite is just asking for a lot of downtime IMO. That shit needs to be hardwired.

thetransporter
07-01-2010, 09:34 AM
he wants to bring HSIA to lebanon, its nearly impossible with the gov there.