PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Gen Integras

msommers
06-24-2010, 08:04 AM
After figuring out priorities and how much, or in this case how little I wanted to spend, I've decided to skip importing a nice newish car for something cheap to last a couple years without depreciating too too much. So I landed on the Integra.

What are some common problems of these cars, how hard or time consuming is the water pump/timing belt...what makes some a special edition, etc? From owners, what's your experience of them like?

I'm going to start looking at quite a few next week and would like some advice on key things to look out for specific to these cars.

Overall, I just need something that'll be a point A to point B ride until I'm done university and finished some travelling.

Cheers.

davesparky6
06-24-2010, 08:39 AM
Integra GS 1.8 non v-tec~140HP
Integra RS 1.8 non v-tec ~140HP
Integra GSR 1.8 v-tec ~170HP
I've had 2 rs's... They were both fantastic cars. The only thing I had to replace was a starter on my first one (1994). I did it on my street with minimal tools. Easy to drive and work on and super reliable. Can't go wrong IMO

msommers
06-24-2010, 10:24 AM
Thanks.

Another note I forgot to ask...there appears to be a price gap between the auto and manual trannies. Are manuals more sought after or are there problems associated with the autos in these vehicles?

davesparky6
06-24-2010, 10:28 AM
Haven't heard of any problems with the auto... I think everyone just wants the manual. They aren't a fast car but they do feel quick with the stickshift.

Brutucus
06-24-2010, 10:32 AM
Integra was reliable car for me, only problem I had was rust. Only big concern is they are easy to steal.

g-m
06-24-2010, 11:57 AM
its slow as balls but relatively reliable. I've had a lot of problems with mine. The oem rads fail every 100k kms, clutch around 200k, my starter solenoid is gone I think, the stereo sucks, and the RS doesn't come with CRUISE CONTROL. Also the suspension is weak, all 4 of my struts are squeaky and leaky. At ~210k kms.

The clutch is really hard to replace since its a transverse wrong wheel drive and the timing belt isn't much better (jammed right up against the shock tower, you have to go in through the wheel well to get the crank bolt). Rust as stated as well as the general beat down nature of the car because we all know the ownership demographic.

Most things like suspension are easy to work on though because they're uncomplicated double wishbones. Also I just did all 4 rotors and pads in under 2 hours despite the 3mm of rust on every surface and bolt. I've had two wheel bearings fail also. Mine is a 1996 RS.

Jsen-DC2
06-24-2010, 01:11 PM
I dont find the timing belt or water pump that hard, they are straight forward but just tight area to work with. but overall, awsome car, fun to drive

g-m
06-24-2010, 05:10 PM
I'd rather do the TB & WP on my Z and thats saying something

bjstare
06-26-2010, 06:37 PM
I haven't done much work on mine, cause I don't have a garage at my victoria place... but other than TB and WP, I haven't needed any maintenance. Classic honda reliability for mine. I love how this car feels to drive as well, its so simple and stripped down compared to an RSX or newer Civic. Oh yeah, and unless you wind up with a GSR, definitely slow as balls. I really wish I held out for a GSR, but they're hard to come by.