PDA

View Full Version : Bike Help!!!!!!

AK47
06-24-2010, 09:09 AM
hi there im looking to buy a bike, i was wondering how many km is too much km on a bike. i seen a 2005 600rr and it has 22 000 km,,is that too much?? and whats the best bike brand name, yamaha suzuki kawasaki or honda? and also does anyone know where to buy used bikes from that can finance for you. I was also lookin at calgary motorsports and i have been hearing both good and bad about them.can someone give me some advice seeing as which i dont know much about this kind of matter. thank you very much

Graham_A_M
06-24-2010, 09:13 AM
A 2005 CBR600RR like that shouldnt go for more then $5k

There is no "who is the best" when it comes to bike manufacterers, just which bike/manufacterer suits you the best.

I personally like Triumph, as I've owned everything else and I like them the best, but thats just me. Perhaps you're a Aprillia or Honda person..... you need to try out other bikes and see what you have a feel for. Ducati's are typically very high maintenance, along with a very harsh rider egronomic. For a first bike, I dont think you'll have to worry about that though as theyre quite pricey bikes.

For Financing, you need to go to a bank, and get a line of credit. From there you can buy whatever bike you want within the amount you were allocated.

revelations
06-24-2010, 09:30 AM
Youre better off doing a lot of research for a big purchase like this. Calgary www.groundpilots.com is a good place.

There are a LOT of variations from bike-bike between manufacturers. Some bike models from certain years have known issues while some years are trouble free.

22,000kms on a bike is nothing, as long as it has been looked after ie. chains, sprockets, tires, etc. - and stored properly each winter.

Youre 99% of the time better off getting a line of credit and buying private - unless you can get a WAY better rate on the interest as you pay a huge markup fee to buy from a big shop.

I'm also guessing that you dont have a proper bike license either... its far better to buy your GEAR first, take a course to get your license and THEN buy a bike you can handle.

turbotrip
06-24-2010, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by AK47
and also does anyone know where to buy used bikes from that can finance for you. I was also lookin at calgary motorsports and i have been hearing both good and bad about them.can someone give me some advice seeing as which i dont know much about this kind of matter. thank you very much

financing your first bike probably isnt the best idea considering how high the chances of you destroying it are, leaving you paying monthly for a bike that wont exist

and avoid calgary motorsports if possible

and 22,000kms is not very high on a honda bike; my friend has 70,000 and is still running great. however on cbr's the valves are supposed to be checked at 20,000kms so make sure thats been done

03ozwhip
06-24-2010, 03:33 PM
ive ridden all of the bikes in the 600 class. i own an 05 R6 and maybe its because i own it, i dunno but i like the feel and ride of my bike better than any other bike, but that might just be me.

if youre looking at 05, i see your budget so ill give you a run down of what i feel the bikes are like...

05 R6- raw power, comfortable positioning, super nimble and easy to throw around.

05 gixxer- comfortable power, not over the top, really big wide stance, comfortable seats if you can get over how wide your legs are spread.

05 cbr600rr- pricier than any others, comfortable positioning, not as raw as the r6 but got better pick up than all of the others, ugly lcd, tach, feels really old when you look at it, but is also pretty nimble like the R6.

05 ninja 636- faster than all of the others because if extra cc's but its also the bike that depreciates the most, decently comfortable, kinda ugly in these years IMHO 07+ look way better, feels like a wierd stance, hard to explain that one, but its lower than the rest.

hope this helps, but really get on all the bikes, take them for a ride and see what suits you. make sure if you are new to riding, TAKE THE COURSE.

AK47
06-24-2010, 06:58 PM
so im looking at a 2008 r6s, and it is pretty sweet. whats the main difference between that and a regular 08 r6?

03ozwhip
06-24-2010, 07:51 PM
R6s is the same body style as 04-05, 08 R6 is a different body style. IMHO the R6 is better looking than the R6s.

bjstare
06-25-2010, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by turbotrip

financing your first bike probably isnt the best idea considering how high the chances of you destroying it are, leaving you paying monthly for a bike that wont exist

This.

Anyways, 22k is definitely nothing. Is it a lot for a car? No. Bikes will last as long as cars, if they're maintained properly. The reason you don't see them that high very often is because usually the owners wreck them before 22k on the odometer (and they're only ridden for 4/12 months in AB). An acquaintance of mine has an '01 929RR with over 100k on it, and it still runs fine. He's owned it since new.

codetrap
06-25-2010, 10:57 AM
cjblair - my FJR has 47k on it. My Katana has 11. Both are in brand new shape. I saw a 92 ninja on kijiji that has 125k.

bjstare
06-25-2010, 11:44 PM
125k! holy moly. My R1 had 45k when I sold it, still ran good.

Yeah, you definitely see more sport tourers/tourers with high miles.

On another note, how do you like the FJR? Did you look at the ST1300 or the BMW R1150/1200RT? Or the BMW K1200GT? I will be replacing my zx10r with one of these bikes.