PDA

View Full Version : Any tricks to get a cheap rental car?

mr2mike
06-24-2010, 03:17 PM
I've been looking to get a rental car out in Victoria for a few days. It's pretty expensive, like $150 (incl'd unlimited kms) with all their gay taxes. Anyone know of a way to get a cheaper car rental?
I see in the US they can priceline bid for like $20/day.

Any advice would be good.
Thanks

masoncgy
06-24-2010, 03:19 PM
What? At the end of May, I rented a car for like $50 a day (all in) out of Victoria International with Budget... that was reserving with one week's notice.

Granted, it was just an economy car, but who cares.

roopi
06-24-2010, 03:19 PM
You can use Priceline as well to bid on cars for Victoria.

mr2mike
06-24-2010, 03:27 PM
Did you call to get the price of $50? I'd pay that no problem. Maybe it's because I want to just get up to Nanaimo and leave the car there. I'll have to see what the fee is to do the one-way.

Priceline is being a pain to bid. Won't let me, says option isn't avail. for my requirements?!?

The Wanderer
06-24-2010, 03:32 PM
Good day,

Numerous times I have rented cars. Each time we (myself or friends) I was always able to find the cheapest rates.
ALWAYS ask if they have discounts for the company (any one of the people in the car) work for/are members of any club/association. Always ask if they have caa discounts. If anyone you know has an entertainment card (from the entertaiment book) ask if they have the discount.

For a one weekend minivan rental we saved over $200 by doing this

roopi
06-24-2010, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike

Priceline is being a pain to bid. Won't let me, says option isn't avail. for my requirements?!?

That's because you are trying to drop the car off in a different city. If you pick/drop off in Victoria you can bid.

masoncgy
06-24-2010, 04:02 PM
Ahhhh... yeah, if it's a one-way rental you pay extra, someone has to go up there and pick it up.

My $50 per day (all in) was pick up and drop off at YYJ.

mr2mike
06-24-2010, 04:06 PM
Gotcha. Ya, not worth the one-way fees. I want to bid like $20/day for 3 days then. Hope that goes through.

I feel like a n00b now after figuring this all out.

t-im
06-24-2010, 04:11 PM
Check different sites too: Kayak.com (which pulls from a bunch of sites), Travelocity and Expedia.

I've had great luck with Expedia for booking one ways throughout the USA.

Also check rental company sites directly. Varying rates always pop up.

masoncgy
06-24-2010, 04:23 PM
If you're flying with WestJet, they offer discount codes for Budget and I believe a couple of other rental places, so check into that as well.