PDA

View Full Version : disable 08 Mustang DRL?

CK4500
06-24-2010, 03:21 PM
Does anyone know how to disable the daytime running lights on a 2008 Mustang GT?

There isn't a specific fuse to pull. I've heard it's a computer issue that dealers can switch on or off. Obviously in Canada, they aren't going to be too willing to disable them....if this is actually a computer setting.

Anyone know how to do this!?

lowryder99
06-24-2010, 03:47 PM
Can't do it...I have searched high and low and tried maaaaaaany things. It's programmed into the computer via the SJB. The dealer can shut them off but they simply will not do it in Canada, I even had a friend who worked at a dealer bring a ford scan tool to my buddies shop and the computer wouldn't let us over-ride the option with a US vin...

If you are looking at installing HID's there is a solution but I am not sure if that's what you are after.

CK4500
06-24-2010, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by lowryder99
Can't do it...I have searched high and low and tried maaaaaaany things. It's programmed into the computer via the SJB. The dealer can shut them off but they simply will not do it in Canada, I even had a friend who worked at a dealer bring a ford scan tool to my buddies shop and the computer wouldn't let us over-ride the option with a US vin...

If you are looking at installing HID's there is a solution but I am not sure if that's what you are after.

No, my buddy just wants them disabled. He isn't installing HIDs. But do tell!

Tik-Tok
06-24-2010, 06:13 PM
Tell him to take it to the dealer for an oil change, and slip the tech $20 to turn them off.

Spinzz 4
06-24-2010, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Tell him to take it to the dealer for an oil change, and slip the tech $20 to turn them off. or slip down under his desk

Cos
06-24-2010, 07:02 PM
If it is anything like my 2007 f150 you have to downgrade the firmware of the ecu to 2006 so it will actually allow you to turn it off. On my f150 forum the only guys to successfully do it are ford techs and it causes other issues.

Common fix is to rewire the side markers to drl and drl to side marker. Seems to work but is a huge pain.

Rat Fink
06-24-2010, 08:16 PM

CK4500
06-24-2010, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
The newer Fords can be turned on/off through the IDS scanner (in the programmable parameters menu). I've only enabled them on american cars coming upto canada. I've never tried to disable a canadian car so it could be very true that it won't let you do it. Maybe if a coworker is willing to volunteer their vehicle for a few minutes I can try it out.

If you try it, let me know!

hellraiser456
07-07-2010, 05:02 PM
if it were me....i would rewire the system. use a 12v relay that is triggered by the low beam wire and then for the power side of the relay i would take a new lead from the battery to the low beam side of the lamp(or lamp harness). i would then cut the old lead and cap it off. i don't think the stang has a bad headlight warning (at least mine doesn't) so you won't have to worry about that.

that would allow the low beams to come on as they should and when you switch to highs...the lows would go off (as i believe how it works). you would have to check to make sure i am right on that. however if it is the other way and both elements ignite then i would hook up the trigger side of the relay to the rear tail light power. so when the rear tails are on (not the brake lights) the low beams would come on...but i am pretty sure only one element is ignited at any one time. i know its like that for most cars.

however the down side is that you will be cutting up the harness. damage would be minimal and repairable as you are really only cutting the drl wire. you could use one of those blue connector things that just goes over the existing wire for the coil side of the relay. i didn't say this but it should be easy to hide to if you do one day decide to sell the car.

you would have to modify what i just said slightly to the particulars of the car but that should work