PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Porsche Boxsters

Nufy
06-24-2010, 03:28 PM
Porsche Boxsters.

I have been yearning to pick up a late 90's Boxter for the last few weeks and have been looking in the US for a good deal.

I like the look of them and would'nt mind the road trip as well if I had to go pick one up.

Anything specific to look for / be aware of when looking at used Boxters ???

JfuckinC
06-24-2010, 03:31 PM
Look for an excess amount of long hair, tampon packages, lip stick stains, curb rash, door dings and roxy stickers..

WrongWheelDrive
06-24-2010, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by JfuckinC
Look for an excess amount of long hair, tampon packages, lip stick stains, curb rash, door dings and roxy stickers..

lulzworthy

MilanoRedTeg
06-24-2010, 03:45 PM
Porsche Boxsters aka "the poor man's porsche" or so I've heard...

Nufy
06-24-2010, 03:46 PM
Well I am a poor man so.......:burnout:

03ozwhip
06-24-2010, 03:47 PM
^^^still a porsche. chicks car or not, i still like them.

Nufy
06-24-2010, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
^^^still a porsche. chicks car or not, i still like them.

I used to have an Accord "S" Model many years back that a buddy called a womans car.

His tune changed after he got a dui and I was asked to drive his ass to the bar every weekend.

I really couldn't give a shit about what people think of what I drive.

If I like it, I will drive it.

If you don't like what I drive thats your problem, and a pretty weird one at that.

e31
06-24-2010, 03:57 PM
Look out for cylinder linings separating from the block. Those aren't fun to negotiate.
edit: Read up. Spoon feeding is for the weak!

Kloubek
06-24-2010, 03:59 PM
Early models suffered from higher-than-average engine failures. 97's had some casting issues of the engine block, and I would avoid them.

Pre-2000's had some "slipped sleeve" issues, whereby the cylinder sleeves actually moved.

RMS (Rear Main Seal). This is not catastophic in itself, but leads to an oil leak you cannot fix without a major repair.

IMS (Intermediate Shaft) can leak in all 1st gen boxsters.

But the worst part: IMS bearing failure. These things, if they go, will ruin the engine. There are replacements you can purchase, but it is still a bit of a job to install it. Unlike with most cars, an oil leak can mean a major issue.

Oil changes are brutal, so you might want to do them yourself.

Sensors tend to be weak, and are expensive to fix.

Remember, this is still a Porsche, and as such, maintaining it can be pricey. But don't let the above points sway you TOO much. Major failures are still *somewhat* uncommon, and one would expect Porsche repairs of ANY sort to cost more than that of say, a Cavalier.

Try to get a 2000+, which have a few less failures. They also tend to be around the same price, and also have more power.

Otherwise, these are very reliable cars. It's just hard to see past the major failures, if they happen, since it will cost you the same to fix it as it would to buy another.

Do a Google search of "IMS" and "RMS" + "Boxster". It will give you a ton of info on the weak engines.

scat330
06-24-2010, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by JfuckinC

ZING!

JfuckinC
06-24-2010, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Nufy

I used to have an Accord "S" Model many years back that a buddy called a womans car.

His tune changed after he got a dui and I was asked to drive his ass to the bar every weekend.

I really couldn't give a shit about what people think of what I drive.

If you don't like what I drive thats your problem, and a pretty weird one at that.

Haha, i'm just a douche today man. It's not like its a Volkswagen bug or beetle or whatever :barf:

mraxis
06-24-2010, 04:15 PM
It's a hair dressers car (or aka, a Kloubek car) You gotta wonder about any straight guy that would buy/drive one.

sevewone
06-24-2010, 04:16 PM
My dads got a early 2000's one, 5 speed one with 30K on it. Its absolutely mint. Ive driven it from Calgary to Kelowna a few times...

Pros: Its VERY solid, sounds pretty badass, and handles above average. They got it with 14K on it and have had no problems with it what so ever. With the top down its a pretty fun car to boot around in

Cons: The stereo. It sounds brutal, looks brutal, and is confusing to work. the NON 's' one isnt that fast at all, so dont expect much. Service on it is very expensive ie:oil changes .

Overall, its not that bad of a car, and for qualitys sake, your getting alot more than some other cars for around the same price. And hey, it was named C&D top 10 best cars of 97' !

Kloubek
06-24-2010, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by mraxis
It's a hair dressers car (or aka, a Kloubek car) You gotta wonder about any straight guy that would buy/drive one.

Kloubek car? Yeah, for a month. And I made 3,500 on it.... so it was worth looking "hair dresser" for a few days.

Or... are you referring to the Corvette as a girly car? Perhaps the 300zx? RX7? Grand Cherokee? Not really too sure where you're going with that. Besides, not everyone is uncomfortable with their sexuality, and while I was passing almost everyone in my TT, I didn't feel my balls shrivel. Not even once.

inline6turbo
06-24-2010, 04:31 PM
Don't do it.

I've seen so many of that gen and by now they've all started to fall apart, suspension, convert top, rear window replacement is $1200 alone, tranny failure around ~120kms if it's an auto and so much more. All I ever hear is horror stories from the owners.

mraxis
06-24-2010, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek

Kloubek car? Yeah, for a month. And I made 3,500 on it.... so it was worth looking "hair dresser" for a few days.

Or... are you referring to the Corvette as a girly car? Perhaps the 300zx? RX7? Grand Cherokee? Not really too sure where you're going with that. Besides, not everyone is uncomfortable with their sexuality, and while I was passing almost everyone in my TT, I didn't feel my balls shrivel. Not even once.

well then if you made some coin off it, good on you. i'm talking about guys who wax them and drive around with the top down thinking like they are cruising in something special.

slinkie
06-24-2010, 05:21 PM
i love beyond, a bunch of kids with $2000 FWD'S telling a guy not to buy a boxster

Kloubek
06-24-2010, 05:39 PM

well then if you made some coin off it, good on you. i'm talking about guys who wax them and drive around with the top down thinking like they are cruising in something special.

Honestly, if you can get aside the less-than-masculine look, they kinda ARE bordering on special. I mean, what's not to like about a car with german engineering, good handling, luxury abound, and turbo power? Same thing as the Boxster. I could give two shits of someone though it was girly; I'd rock one.

People have to stop caring what people think about what they drive, and buy cars based on whether or not it meets their OWN criteria. The car you drive doesn't make you gay... believe it or not. It's a difficult concept for some to grasp...

Cos
06-24-2010, 05:42 PM

I LIKE this! :thumbsup:

Xtrema
06-24-2010, 05:54 PM

Well said.

01RedDX
06-24-2010, 05:59 PM

Redlyne_mr2
06-24-2010, 06:20 PM
Old Boxsters are bad news unless they've been well looked after. I definitely wouldn't buy a car like that sight unseen.

95teetee
06-24-2010, 06:43 PM

well then if you made some coin off it, good on you. i'm talking about guys who wax them and drive around with the top down thinking like they are cruising in something special. that boxster guy is in Drumheller. Also always gives me a stare like he wants to race me:rofl:

962 kid
06-24-2010, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Old Boxsters are bad news unless they've been well looked after. I definitely wouldn't buy a car like that sight unseen.

This is about it, but that holds true for any car. Boxsters are pretty solid cars all around - I have seen one IMS failure, 0 sleeve slips, 0 engine failures due to poor casting or w/e it is, and 0 failed transmissions (the automatic is a mercedes benz transmission, you could not ask for a more solid tranny).

Of course maintenance will be more than with a civic, but it's not unreasonable. Oil changes are only expensive (~200ish) because they require about 9L of synthetic oil. RMS leak is almost always a non-issue, and can be replace with an updated 997 part when you replace the clutch.

Go look at the car in person, get it inspected and enjoy your purchase :thumbsup: there are few cars that are more fun to drive than a boxster

mraxis
06-24-2010, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by slinkie
i love beyond, a bunch of kids with $2000 FWD'S telling a guy not to buy a boxster

you drive a mazda truck, so stay out of this conversation :thumbsup:

RY213
06-24-2010, 08:33 PM

Someone reads Jalopnik and tries to pass their jokes off as their own...

FiveFreshFish
06-24-2010, 08:41 PM
If you're gonna spend lots on maintenance and parts, might as well get an old 911.

mraxis
06-24-2010, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by RY213

Someone reads Jalopnik and tries to pass their jokes off as their own...

:facepalm: Yeah ripped straight from there.

slinkie
06-24-2010, 08:55 PM

you drive a mazda truck, so stay out of this conversation :thumbsup:

yeah the performance really sold me :thumbsup:

Alak
06-24-2010, 09:00 PM
OP - Dont get a 2.5L

RX_EVOLV
06-24-2010, 10:21 PM
what about the newer ones? 06+?

you&me
06-24-2010, 10:31 PM

Bahahaha :rofl:

As Mark said, the early Boxsters are reliable if they have a solid history and really tough to beat on the fun/$$$ ratio.

Nufy
06-25-2010, 09:16 AM
Its just initial research right now.

Thats why I asked here.

I actually had a chance to pick up a cheap one in Missouri back in April but passed on it.

As I said earlier I like the looks of the car and pricing for late model used is not that bad.

I'm not looking for the fastest/cheapest car out there.

Just something nice to drive.

In terms of handling / performance anything will be an upgrade over my truck.

Thanks for all the informed responses.

T-Dubbs
06-25-2010, 09:35 AM
you are welcome to buy one.
personally i wouldnt, i cant stand the look of the older ones, and the performance is sad for a porsche.
i think your money could be well spent elsewhere in terms of jsut something nice to drive...

Kloubek
06-25-2010, 09:47 AM
^^^ Well, if everyone had that mentality, then the 944 would never have come to be, as it was underpowered compared to other Porsches as well.

It isn't just about straight-line speed. It is about handling and the "feel" of a Porsche. And underpowered or not, the Boxster still has both.

milesmcewing
06-25-2010, 09:49 AM
Jeez, all this talk about girls and hairdressers, I sold over 50 Boxsters when I worked for Porsche.

Never sold one to a hairdresser, and I think I only sold one to a girl!

Great cars, lots of fun, built as a convertible so no odd creaks/flex issues or add-on chassis braces.

Best value for money would be an 01-02-03. '03's will have the glass rear window instead of plastic (if you need a plastic one replaced, CR technologies did a couple for me, $700, and the fit and finish was excellent)

When the new body came out in 2005, the non-s car got the best bits or the earlier 'S' model and a lot of other nice improvements. so if I was looking at an early 'S', I would also look at the '05-up non 'S' chances are the prices are similar.

Best reasons to own a Boxster instead of a 911:
Cheaper insurance
more trunk space
two sets of golf clubs fit
better handling (meaning a more relaxed at the limit feel, with less weight and better confidence)

Don't be afraid of high-mileage cars, if they only show a couple of owners, chances are they are enthusiast owned and have good service history.

Be aware of early cars with a pile of owners, usually they were bought by guys who leased them, never serviced them and drove them into the ground. Also be aware of garage queens, they may look great, but usually are dried up leaky creatures.

Service intervals are long, and while they do have some problems, I would not be scared of the car blowing up, the issues and failures were generally early 97-99 cars that lived in the hottest climates, local cars never saw the same problems. Rear main seals were always a weak point, but besides dripping on the floor once in a while they never really caused any problems (unless a liter was leaking out overnight).

Feel free to PM me if you want.

Go find one and have fun.

Cheers
Miles

CapnCrunch
06-25-2010, 10:45 AM
Lol, lady porsche. Why not save some cash and find a V6 Mustang convertible with an auto and the sassy 'Pony' package.

If you have any self dignity, don't do it man. Unless your a lady, then YOU GO GIRL!!!

Nufy
06-25-2010, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch
Lol, lady porsche. Why not save some cash and find a V6 Mustang convertible with an auto and the sassy 'Pony' package.

If you have any self dignity, don't do it man. Unless your a lady, then YOU GO GIRL!!!

You sellin yours ????

You kin keep the fuzzy dice on the mirror though......

CapnCrunch
06-25-2010, 11:59 AM

You sellin yours ????

You kin keep the fuzzy dice on the mirror though......

So you can't spell and you want to drive a she-wagon. I don't think there's much I can help you with.

911fever
06-25-2010, 12:22 PM
Boxter's are unreliable until about 05 and up. Hit and miss for older ones. Same as 996 Porsche's are unreliable as well, well the Carrera's were. the 997 gen is better for everything Porsche related for reliability

nonlinear
06-25-2010, 12:25 PM

absolutely this.

personally, i would love to have a boxster.

syeve
06-25-2010, 01:16 PM
Maintenance aside (I don't know shit about their reliability), the boxster has a long standing and amazing blood lines (356 Spyder and Speedster and the 550 Spyder).

The porsche roadsters will always be cool in my mind...just because it isn't a mad drifterz or a drag car doesn't make it a girls car.

95EagleAWD
06-25-2010, 01:28 PM
A 986 Boxster S was probably one of the best cars I ever drove.

It's a shame they're kind of bland, because they're quick, they handle just amazingly well and they sound AWESOME.

The 987 Boxsters (probably out of your price range if you're trying to keep it cheaper) look way, way better IMO, and they're much quicker.

I'd love a Boxster.

962 kid
06-25-2010, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by 911fever
Boxter's are unreliable until about 05 and up. Hit and miss for older ones. Same as 996 Porsche's are unreliable as well, well the Carrera's were. the 997 gen is better for everything Porsche related for reliability

Pretty ridiculous statement, 996 and 986 are great cars as long as they're taken care of properly. As previously stated, get the car checked out and you should be good to go.

Sugarphreak
06-25-2010, 03:11 PM

911fever
06-25-2010, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by 962 kid

Pretty ridiculous statement, 996 and 986 are great cars as long as they're taken care of properly. As previously stated, get the car checked out and you should be good to go.

Absolutely not. The 996 911 had a ridiculous amount of engine failure's due to RMS problems, especially the 99-01's! It's retarded how many 996's have engine failures, search rennlist if you don't believe me. Very unreliable engine, and even the 997 has some issues. It wasn't until the mid-refresh of the 997 that a better engine was introduced that completely solved the issues of this 996-997 engine.

962 kid
06-25-2010, 05:10 PM

Absolutely not. The 996 911 had a ridiculous amount of engine failure's due to RMS problems, especially the 99-01's! It's retarded how many 996's have engine failures, search rennlist if you don't believe me. Very unreliable engine, and even the 997 has some issues. It wasn't until the mid-refresh of the 997 that a better engine was introduced that completely solved the issues of this 996-997 engine.

1) RMS has nothing to do with engine failure

2) IMS failure does not = engine failure, unless the car is driven around a lot after the failure

3) What exactly do you consider a ridiculous amount? I'll correct my earlier post, but I've seen TWO IMS failures and neither of the cars required engine replacement.

Just as I figured, your "knowledge" is all from rennlist and other forums. When you have some real world experience with the cars, then come back and post your advice here.

Nufy, get the car inspected at any Porsche shop or even the dealer. I would wager they say the same as Miles and I have about Boxster reliability, but if you still aren't convinced then the LN Engineering IMS kit is always an option.

2EFNFAST
06-25-2010, 05:33 PM
Hmmm, one screams gigantic penis, one screams gigantic vagina. i wonder which is which :angel:

http://www.pictures-of-cars.com/reviews/Porsche-Boxster-MY2003.jpg

http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/200701/1967-shelby-cobra-427-sup_460x0w.jpg

davesparky6
06-25-2010, 05:39 PM
^^^ Hardly a fair comparison, That's like wondering whether Chuck Norris is more of a man than Kevin Costner.

962 kid
06-25-2010, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST
Hmmm, one screams gigantic penis, one screams gigantic vagina. i wonder which is which :angel:

http://www.pictures-of-cars.com/reviews/Porsche-Boxster-MY2003.jpg

http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/200701/1967-shelby-cobra-427-sup_460x0w.jpg

Well, I see you drive along past Anderson Ranch pretty often and I have never once seen/hear you go anywhere close to WOT. So, is the one who builds a retardedly fast/loud/obnoxious car and never enjoys it really that much more manly than the guy who buys the boxster to drive the piss out of it?

911fever
06-25-2010, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by 962 kid

1) RMS has nothing to do with engine failure

2) IMS failure does not = engine failure, unless the car is driven around a lot after the failure

3) What exactly do you consider a ridiculous amount? I'll correct my earlier post, but I've seen TWO IMS failures and neither of the cars required engine replacement.

Just as I figured, your "knowledge" is all from rennlist and other forums. When you have some real world experience with the cars, then come back and post your advice here.

Nufy, get the car inspected at any Porsche shop or even the dealer. I would wager they say the same as Miles and I have about Boxster reliability, but if you still aren't convinced then the LN Engineering IMS kit is always an option.

here's all I need to show:
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/wild-ass-rumor-of-the-day-porsche-boxster-engine-failures/
"some estimates (Bruce Anderson, for one) are that 20 percent of Boxster engines don’t make it past 100,000 miles witout a catastrophic failure. The standard failure is what the cognoscenti universally refer to as the IMS–the intermediate shaft"
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?/topic/19376-not-buying-a-996-because-of-engine-failures-fear/

So many threads, so many issues with Porsche 996 failure's. Search autotrader in the US and about 25% of the 996's listed have new engines.
I don't care what you think if you say 996's are reliable, most aren't, and doing a RMS repair isn't cheap or convenient.
Much better to get the GT3 or Turbo of the 996 as I understand they have a different block. But even occasionally they had issues too! The best bet on any preowned Porsche is to get it PPI'd, under warranty, and with full maintainence and service history.

milesmcewing
06-25-2010, 08:25 PM
Most of the reason you see used 996's with new motors, is simply warranty policy from Porsche.

Generally, if a motor makes any type of mechanical issue under warranty (noisy valves, burning oil, odd noises) the motor is replaced, rather than taken apart, and examined. This expedites the customer and improves the relationship. The warranty motors are complete including wiring harness and all ancillaries. Plug and play.

RMS seals are a relatively easy fix, if memory serves me correctly, it is under 4 hours to do.

We very rarley saw ANY catastrophic failures in Calgary, I remember a couple, but they were caused by a prior repair not completed correctly.

If you take a look at other manufacturer failures, you might be surprised.

Look at Chrysler minivans, they never have a tranny make it to 100k
VW had their coilpack issues, etc etc. BMW has the worst rating of any german manufacturer, look at the M3's which came to Canada with the wrong assembly lube and almost every one blew up, until they found the problem.

Porsche had certainly had their share of issues, but no more than other manufacturers.

Buyer beware, do your homework and you will find a car that works for you.

I have owned a dozen 911's How many broke?
My first SC had an alternator failure
My next two had zero issues.
Then I broke the reverse synchro in the gearbox.
My next one had an intermittent smoking problem, ultimately proven to be caused by a previous technician leaving a plug in the overflow vent.

My current one, leaks like a seive. But it is still the most fun.

Happy Trails and I hope the OP finds a car that works for him.

Better to have been in the game for a day, than a spectator for life!

Cheers
Miles

Cooked Rice
06-26-2010, 01:26 AM

here's all I need to show:
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/wild-ass-rumor-of-the-day-porsche-boxster-engine-failures/
"some estimates (Bruce Anderson, for one) are that 20 percent of Boxster engines don’t make it past 100,000 miles witout a catastrophic failure. The standard failure is what the cognoscenti universally refer to as the IMS–the intermediate shaft"
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?/topic/19376-not-buying-a-996-because-of-engine-failures-fear/

So many threads, so many issues with Porsche 996 failure's. Search autotrader in the US and about 25% of the 996's listed have new engines.
I don't care what you think if you say 996's are reliable, most aren't, and doing a RMS repair isn't cheap or convenient.
Much better to get the GT3 or Turbo of the 996 as I understand they have a different block. But even occasionally they had issues too! The best bet on any preowned Porsche is to get it PPI'd, under warranty, and with full maintainence and service history.

You're arguing with someone who works on porches just about everyday... At a family run business... Which specializes in Porches... 30 years worth.

911fever
06-26-2010, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by Cooked Rice

You're arguing with someone who works on porches just about everyday... At a family run business... Which specializes in Porches... 30 years worth.

I deal with Porsche's several times per week and quite a few people I know drive them. I also have a good relationship with a Porsche mechanic and a dealer here, so I have a pretty good idea of the issues that 996 and early 997 engines face. It's a higher chance of failure than what he says

you&me
06-26-2010, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by milesmcewing
Better to have been in the game for a day, than a spectator for life!

Cheers
Miles

I deal with Porsche's several times per week and quite a few people I know drive them. I also have a good relationship with a Porsche mechanic and a dealer here, so I have a pretty good idea of the issues that 996 and early 997 engines face. It's a higher chance of failure than what he says

Exactly.

How many Porsche have you owned, 911fever? How is it that you deal with Porsche's several times a week? Trades at the Honda dealership? Watching the ratty ones sell at the auction?

I also know a few people at a Porsche dealer out by you... while the 996/986 isn't everyone's favorite, to claim they're mechanically piles of crap is just plain false.

As Cooked Rice said, you're arguing against two guys that probably two of the most experienced Porsche guys in Calgary... just like that C63 thread a while back where you were disagreeing with Rage and Benny (two C63 owners) by quoting magazine articles
:rofl:

t-im
06-26-2010, 09:14 AM

This.

If you find a clean example, enjoy it in good health. Can't beat a small German drop top in the summer.

911fever
06-26-2010, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by you&me

Exactly.

How many Porsche have you owned, 911fever? How is it that you deal with Porsche's several times a week? Trades at the Honda dealership? Watching the ratty ones sell at the auction?

I also know a few people at a Porsche dealer out by you... while the 996/986 isn't everyone's favorite, to claim they're mechanically piles of crap is just plain false.

As Cooked Rice said, you're arguing against two guys that probably two of the most experienced Porsche guys in Calgary... just like that C63 thread a while back where you were disagreeing with Rage and Benny (two C63 owners) by quoting magazine articles
:rofl:

My parents and relatives owned/have owned Porsche's. I've driven almost all of the lineup and a good friend of mine owns a 997. I'm a huge Porsche fanatic, and I study them, know a lot of people who own them, and I deal with dealers who sell Porsche's. A lot of people who own Porsche's also buy Civics for their children ;)
They aren't piles of crap, and I never said that. I just said they can be unreliable, and they have engine issues, more so than the air cooled Porsche's of previous gens.

I wasn't arguing with either Rage or Benny, I just quoted a magazine article which claimed something untrue, and they both corrected it. Don't be a douchebag for the sake of your existence, change yourself.

you&me
06-26-2010, 01:05 PM

My parents and relatives owned/have owned Porsche's. I've driven almost all of the lineup and a good friend of mine owns a 997. I'm a huge Porsche fanatic, and I study them, know a lot of people who own them, and I deal with dealers who sell Porsche's. A lot of people who own Porsche's also buy Civics for their children ;)
They aren't piles of crap, and I never said that. I just said they can be unreliable, and they have engine issues, more so than the air cooled Porsche's of previous gens.

I wasn't arguing with either Rage or Benny, I just quoted a magazine article which claimed something untrue, and they both corrected it. Don't be a douchebag for the sake of your existence, change yourself.

I fail to see how my post painted me as a douchebag.

I was just curious if you had any first-hand experience that lead to your opinion about the reliability of 996 and 986 cars. All you've cited so far we unspecific second and third hand experiences (basically hearsay) and some threads on rennlist. All the while, two people with TONS of first-hand Porsche experience provided details and specifics contrary to your claims.

Specific first hand experience with lots of Porsches = valuable opinion.

Vague second hand experiences and references to forums = useless opinion.

962 kid
06-26-2010, 01:41 PM
They aren't piles of crap, and I never said that.

Really? It kinda sounds like you said exactly that

Absolutely not. The 996 911 had a ridiculous amount of engine failure's due to RMS problems, especially the 99-01's! It's retarded how many 996's have engine failures, search rennlist if you don't believe me.

:dunno:

I counted 17 Porsches outside my work at lunchtime on Friday. Miles has more knowledge of Porsches than every poster on that Renntech thread combined.

It's great that you're an enthusiast dude, but you're still lacking in real experience. The aircooled 911 engines have more than their fair share of problems, everything from head studs snapping, studs pulling out of the Mg cases, premature valve guide wear, carbon buildup in air injection systems in 993s, chronic oil leaks, etc etc etc.

On the flipside, I've seen a half dozen early Boxsters with over 300 000(!) km on them, many over 200 000km and more than I could count over 100 000 all running like champs. Still have yet to see a M96 succumb to IMS or cylinder wall failure.

Slow down before you go around calling other people douchebags and quoting forum threads as gospel. You still have a lot to learn about Porsches (as do I), but you are never going to learn if you think that you can read a couple threads and instantly know more than the people who have spent their entire lives with the cars.

Anyways, this thread is way OT now :thumbsup: gl with the search Nufy

G-Suede
06-26-2010, 08:12 PM
My parents and relatives owned/have owned Porsche's.

So you're not an owner. A poser maybe, but not an owner with first-hand experience.

That.Guy.S30
06-26-2010, 08:28 PM
you should stop arguing with Miles lol. he knows his shit. PERIOD. all this internet crap doesnt mean anything.

aircooled porsche's have just as many problems as the new ones. SC, 3.2, 964, 993.

bignerd
06-26-2010, 11:18 PM
Was going to also say the non-S version is a little slowish... also hit the rev limiter many times on it. Nice handling car for cruising around or if you wanted a convertible.

mrstud
06-26-2010, 11:30 PM
the 1st gen ones were the best.

C4S
06-27-2010, 12:06 AM
late 90's? NO.. especially from US ..

Yes, you can pick one up for ~ $15K, and they are still very nice to drive, ok power ..

But if anything goes wrong, expensive!!! easy, to cost 1/2 value of the car.

If you really want one, I suggest you to buy one local, and do all the check up before you make the deal.

:)

2EFNFAST
06-27-2010, 02:40 AM
How about we all agree to disagree :love:

I knew about all the typical porsche problems, but my 996 was great in terms of maintenance issues (only sold it because it was so boring). Most people I know IRL who have either a 993/6/7 have minimal to no maintenance costs (although they arn't exactly "high" mileage cars).

Come to think of it, I think the only issues I"ve seen have been with GT3s and their leaking RMS (which, I believe, is fixed by swapping a 996 turbo seal in?)

I guess i'm in both camps - online I see lots of problems and know about them, but IRL never ran into them myself or met people who had.

TorqueDog
06-27-2010, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Thi_Thi Subs
you should stop arguing with Miles lol. he knows his shit. PERIOD.This.

It's probably a bit late, but congrats on retiring, Miles. I stopped into SouthCentre this past Saturday and talked with Martin for a bit.

962 kid
06-27-2010, 10:06 AM
Come to think of it, I think the only issues I"ve seen have been with GT3s and their leaking RMS (which, I believe, is fixed by swapping a 996 turbo seal in?)

That's a part of the GT3 RMS design ;) It requires the vacuum produced by the dry sump system to seal properly, so unless the car is driven frequently it will leak. Apparently putting in the RMS from the turbo will drop hp a little (not sure on specifics about that), but that seems like a decent trade if the car is a garage queen.

ekguy
06-27-2010, 12:26 PM
I don't see whats so wrong with the boxter. It's a convertible, it's a porsche, and it's definitely not slow.

If i had the money I'd buy one.

brownchild
06-27-2010, 12:38 PM
I was looking into one myself, im also considering Z4 or S2000. I dont know why some ppl hate, their roadsters. the reason I want one is becuase there fun to drive especially in the summer with the top down driving in the mountains.

That.Guy.S30
06-27-2010, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by ekguy
I don't see whats so wrong with the boxter. It's a convertible, it's a porsche, and it's definitely not slow.

If i had the money I'd buy one.

thats because all the beyond millionaires on here think the only porsche to own is a 911.

Alak
06-27-2010, 02:04 PM

thats because all the beyond millionaires on here think the only porsche to own is a 911.

Exactly. :thumbsup:

you&me
06-27-2010, 02:45 PM
online I see lots of problems and know about them, but IRL never ran into them myself or met people who had.

That's because no one ever starts a thread online to say that their car is working properly :)

FiveFreshFish
06-27-2010, 07:43 PM

No, I'd love to have an old 914/6.

C4S
06-27-2010, 09:36 PM
Boxster .. for sure not slow ..

Newest one, 4.3 sec with 6 speed, 4 sec with PDK ....

:dunno: Quicker then many car!

(Spyder)

Anyway, as long as you know what you are doing, no problem to buy a 10 yr plus Boxster. (same as buying E36 M3, they are cheap, but some are good, some are bad)

:)

(And yes, kids, dont argue with Miles)