PDA

View Full Version : Beyond horticulturalists! I need your help (re: disease)!

Vagabond142
06-25-2010, 07:28 PM
Was out tending to my chives and oregano (yes, I grown my own herbs), and I notice that on one of my parent's herb plants in the rear of the garden, there are nasty ugly splotches. I'm wondering what disease this is, and if it's treatable or if the plant is a loss.

The area has sun 75% of the day, is watered for an hour every morning at 6 am, and the soil was fertilized in April with compost and manure mixed together (all natural). No preventative sprays were applied at all (we're kinda against that on herbs) and I'm wondering if trimming will fix this or if it will require cutting the stem and letting it regrow. I also don't want it to spread to my herbs, so identification is a priority.

Pictures:

Wide angle of the entire plant area:
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk13/Vagabond142/IMG_0760.jpg

Detail of leaves:
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk13/Vagabond142/IMG_0761.jpg

Super_Geo
06-25-2010, 07:33 PM
You can bring a whore to culture...

... but you can't make her think.

Tik-Tok
06-25-2010, 08:08 PM
Is this particular plant just outside your moms bedroom window?

On a serious note, it just looks like mildew. Baking soda and water should take care of it.

ExtraSlow
06-25-2010, 08:19 PM
Watering every single morning? Could be some kind of mould from overwatering. Try every second day.

Kritafo
06-25-2010, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Is this particular plant just outside your moms bedroom window?

On a serious note, it just looks like mildew. Baking soda and water should take care of it.

Yup looks like powdery mildew, causes too moist, crowded and not enough air flow as mentioned. 1 table spoon to Baking soda and room temp water to 2 - 3 litres of water spray.

Make sure your watering below the leaves and not just with a sprinkler or hose attachment. Keep the moisture at the soil level .

It will be fine

Vagabond142
06-26-2010, 10:44 AM
It's watered using a weeping hose system, which is the black hose you can see down on the soil. It dribbles out water which is absorbed down into the soil before the day heats up.

Tik-Tok
06-26-2010, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Vagabond142
It's watered using a weeping hose system, which is the black hose you can see down on the soil. It dribbles out water which is absorbed down into the soil before the day heats up.

With all the rain we've had, probably came from that, but what about the sprinkler? Does it usually hit it too?

Vagabond142
06-26-2010, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

With all the rain we've had, probably came from that, but what about the sprinkler? Does it usually hit it too?

Well, on the rainy days or projected rainy days, it's turned off. It's only on for those days/weeks when there is no rain. I'll give it a wipe tomorrow, see if it comes off. If it doesn't... zomgpanic! :P

ExtraSlow
06-26-2010, 06:50 PM
Even if you aren't watering on rainy days, you are overwatering. The soil should be allowed to dry out between waterings for a day. if it takes two days for the soil to dry, then water every three days.

derran.m
06-28-2010, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Even if you aren't watering on rainy days, you are overwatering. The soil should be allowed to dry out between waterings for a day. if it takes two days for the soil to dry, then water every three days.
:werd: daily watering is way too much ... spread out your waterings and clean that mildew off and you should be good ... I had a similar problem in my yard with the lilac ... turned out I didnt need to water it every day .. this year I have watered twice a week and no crap building up on leaves ... and no moss growing in the grass underneath it LOL