PDA

View Full Version : MEC Bikes - decent for the money?

ExtraSlow
06-25-2010, 08:55 PM
Both my wife and I are looking to get into cycling again. haven't been on a bike for 10+ years. Will be mostly city streets and trails, no hardcore offroad shit. Looking for a more upright seating position. No racing bikes.
Probably hook up a kid trailer to it as well.

Been checking out the Midtown from MEC. Seems like a good price.
Thoughts?

swak
06-25-2010, 09:54 PM
MEC makes some decent stuff actually, so if youre just using it for light recreational purposes i dont think you will have any issues what-so-ever.

Even if you did take it out on some off-road trails, i can almost guarantee you, youd be fine.

If the price is right, buy it.
... because to be truthfully honest, almost every bike out there within their varying price ranges are all about equal in specs, from bike to bike.

IE a $500 specialized will be pretty equivalent to a $500 cannondale to a $500 MEC bike.

scary_perry
06-27-2010, 08:55 AM
I don't think I would get the MEC bike. Bow Cycle will take better care of you.

With their sale prices you can get a better bike for the same price.

scary_perry
07-18-2010, 02:47 PM
I looked at MEC`s CX bike, I bought a much better GIANT TCX 1 from Pedalhead for almost the same price (1350 vs 1450).

In terms of bang for buck: My bike came with a complete SRAM Rival group versus 105/Tiagra on the MEC. The MEC also has an alum fork and really heavy wheels whereas the GIANT has a carbon fork and wheels that have Mavic CXP22 rims, Sapim butted spokes and Formula hubs (and small block 8 tires that are $45 a piece).

Weight is a key factor: People do not generate much power, and every gram can be felt on long rides with climbs. I would guess the MEC weight as 22-23lbs. Mine was 19.5 lbs without pedals including some very heavy duty parts.

In terms of long-term value: I might add some lighter wheels if I decide to race, that should take another pound or two off the weight of the bike. After adding pedals and swapping the heavy saddle for a Selle Italia SLR my complete bike came to 19.75lb with tons of room for weight loss. But first I have to lose some weight - losing gut costs a lot less than light wheels. But because of the light frame and fork and very good drive train parts upgrading wheels and other things will not be a waste (there is no point gold plating a turd). I will be able to keep the bike longer and not outgrow it as quickly. Should i ever decide to sell it the name and the parts should help me fetch more for it than I would get selling a used MEC.

I think you could pick any bike in MEC`s lineup and have the same experience. One of the many great bike shops in town will offer better value and service IMO.

nonlinear
07-19-2010, 08:36 PM
i know someone who got an MEC bike about a month ago. she uses it for commuting and loves it. :dunno:

trevh
07-19-2010, 09:24 PM
Stay away from bow cycle. go to ridley's if anything!

scary_perry
07-19-2010, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
i know someone who got an MEC bike about a month ago. she uses it for commuting and loves it. :dunno:

I am not saying the bikes are bad, just that you can do better at a local bike shop IMO.

:)

scary_perry
07-19-2010, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by trevh

LOL I have had the exact opposite experience. That's why it's good to have choice and lots of opinions.

5 of the last 7 bikes I bought were at Pedalhead - they are a good little shop in my experience.

The other two were Lifesport and Bow - both good experiences too.

Modelexis
07-19-2010, 10:43 PM
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but do these places let you take the bikes out and ride them or test them at all?

Do they fit the bike for your when you buy it?

core_upt
07-20-2010, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Modelexis
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but do these places let you take the bikes out and ride them or test them at all?
Do they fit the bike for your when you buy it?

Yup - they should let you ride any and every bike you want. Best to go during the week, weekends are super busy at bike shops.
Every manufacturer builds their frames different, so every brand fits different.
Typically, a bike on sale at a bike shop will be a better buy then a regular price MEC bike, but MSRP to MSRP, I think MEC offers a better buy.

I think there is a full fitting for higher end road bikes and tri-bikes, where every angle is uber important for racing, but I don't think there is too much offered for custom fitting your 'average' commuter bike.

swak
07-20-2010, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by trevh

I would have to strongly disagree...
Can you explain why?

IMO, the only thing ridleys is good for is gloves.