PDA

View Full Version : UofC parking is the suck? renewed

Power_Of_Rotary
06-25-2010, 10:22 PM
So in on of the other threads about how where to park I mentioned that I got a parking ticket for 70 bucks. This ticket was issued Monday the 21st. On the ticket it says something about my car being towed. Obviously I didnt pay the ticket yet, nor do I really intend to.

Today I was running late and I decided to park at the meters closest to my class. I only had enough change to park for 1 hour when my class is 2 hours. So I had to risk it. I come back to my car right after my class ended to find another ticket (not surprised). But the issuing time of the ticket was the exact time my parking expired (coincidence? i think not). The mother fucker gave me another 70 dollar ticket and on the ticket it states something along the lines that Im no longer allowed to park at the uofc. again there is thing stating my car will be towed.

My car is a very distinct car in the uofc, its easy to spot and recognize. And obviously the prick who gave me the tickets (i am assuming same guy) doesnt like me. Ive parked at the uofc for 3 years and ive gotten plenty of tickets on and off, but the last 2 tickets I got seemed personal.

luckily the uofc parking control did not notice my car has no tow hook for a truck to tow away..

*ps 70 bucks for a parking ticket in the uofc is rediculous, city of calgary parking violations are around 50/40. I guess students are expected to be rich?

turbotrip
06-25-2010, 10:25 PM
just change your plate for $20

Power_Of_Rotary
06-25-2010, 10:30 PM
i did think about that, but i drive a rx8 with a two tone matte black/red look right now, etc.

its obvious that its the same car :dunno:

infected
06-25-2010, 10:37 PM
I bet you are right. One time as I was walking to renew my meter I saw the prick standing right next to my car waiting for it to expire in 1 minute. The look of disappointment on his face was priceless. :D

turbotrip
06-25-2010, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Power_Of_Rotary
i did think about that, but i drive a rx8 with a two tone matte black/red look right now, etc.

its obvious that its the same car :dunno:

doesnt matter; trust me this method has been tried and tested many times with cars that stick out

dandia89
06-26-2010, 02:10 AM
parking staff blows, one person in my class had their ticket stub on the dashboard and still got a ticket. it seems like these idiots enjoy giving out tickets

Bowser
06-26-2010, 05:19 PM
The idiots at parking don't even know how to pick the proper citations either. I got a 15.17 (moving violation) while I was parked and away from my vechical. So I went and made an apeal.

Turns out, that they purposly give out high priced tickets in hopes that people don't actually look at what the ticket is for.

When you apeal it, it gets "reviewed" by your peers and then thrown out cause it's an incorrect ticket.
The other thing I heard, is that it takes 2+ years to get a ticket apealed, because the people never meet. So by then, your ticket is lost in the system and nobody cares anymore.

Here's the link to their citation list so you can check to make sure they didn't wrong you.
http://www.ucalgary.ca/parking/citations

FraserB
06-26-2010, 08:13 PM
Isn't it tied to your student record and any fines have to be paid before you graduate?

Also, a lack of tow points will not stop a tow truck driver, there are plenty of spots to use along your frame. The trick of turning your wheel to full doesn't work since you just get your window busted or lock slim jim'd.

t-im
06-26-2010, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
Isn't it tied to your student record and any fines have to be paid before you graduate?

Also, a lack of tow points will not stop a tow truck driver, there are plenty of spots to use along your frame. The trick of turning your wheel to full doesn't work since you just get your window busted or lock slim jim'd.

I've seen tow truck drivers (in NY) tow a parallel parked car (with cars in front and behind it) in about a minute flat. Attach something to a wheel, yank part of the car out of the spot, and proceed to tow. Definitely didn't have a tow hook.

I always assumed tickets were tied to your student records - kind of like overdue library books etc...but at the same time, what if your car wasn't under your name? Then it wouldn't matter.

I wouldn't risk it though, I have seen cars being towed at UC. You know they're just waiting to do it.

Power_Of_Rotary
06-26-2010, 09:58 PM
yea the only thing im worried about is them towing me. They gave me a ticket stating i have my parking suspended. Which makes no actual sense considering my offenses were minor and not that frequent. who ever gave me the tickets doesnt like me and my lil rice two tone 8

mk007
06-28-2010, 06:30 PM
if your car is under your name, then fines are most likely under your student record
but if your cars not under your name, they have no way of tracking you down

Power of Rotary: if your car is under your name then you might have to pay up or live in constant fear that you will be towed, if your car isn't under your name then just get a new license plate and start over

i think your first fine is considered a warning, but after that they are DEAD SERIOUS!

i just looked at that citation list and had no idea they had that much power, i am really impressed haha

dandia89
06-29-2010, 01:13 PM
most kids at uni who receive tickets have the car under their parents name, which also happen to be the same parent who pays x's fees. couldn't they put two and two together?

scat330
06-29-2010, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by mk007
if your car is under your name, then fines are most likely under your student record
but if your cars not under your name, they have no way of tracking you down

So many wrongs in this thread. They cannot get your personal information from a license plate, simple as that. They don't know who it's registered to, unless it's on your student file that you've wrote your plate down. :facepalm:

My car is a very distinct car in the uofc, its easy to spot and recognize. And obviously the prick who gave me the tickets (i am assuming same guy) doesnt like me. Ive parked at the uofc for 3 years and ive gotten plenty of tickets on and off, but the last 2 tickets I got seemed personal.

Yes, OBVIOULSY you didn't pay to park there so you got a ticket. The "he doesn't like me", "my car is cool as fuck and he's jealous" lines just make me :facepalm:

-relk-
06-29-2010, 02:28 PM
Down at the U of L when we get a parking ticket if we pay it within 10 days or something its only about $17 :rofl:

cam_wmh
06-29-2010, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by -relk-
Down at the U of L when we get a parking ticket if we pay it within 10 days or something its only about $17 :rofl:
except you're still in lethbridge

Power_Of_Rotary
06-30-2010, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by scat330

Yes, OBVIOULSY you didn't pay to park there so you got a ticket. The "he doesn't like me", "my car is cool as fuck and he's jealous" lines just make me :facepalm:

lol.. i was mocking myself about my obvious car (half vinyled and incomplete). Did not say it was cool as fuck

your useless posts makes me :facepalm:

revelations
06-30-2010, 10:29 PM
luckily the uofc parking control did not notice my car has no tow hook for a truck to tow away..

All of the bitching and venting aside -

What the heck does a tow hook have to do with lifting your car off the ground and putting it on dolleys?:rolleyes:

mk007
06-30-2010, 10:42 PM
well all i know is, my brother who graduated a few years ago had about 500$ in parking tickets at U of C, and had to pay all of the fines before he recieved his degree. I even remember U of C calling our house to remind him to pay the fines.

I'm not saying I know how they figure out who the car is registered to, but obviously they have their ways! And my brothers car was registered under his name.

Pretty shitty deal tho, I feel for you. I hate that "i feel like my car is getting towed" feeling.

Power_Of_Rotary
07-01-2010, 12:03 AM
I did go to the parking control place and found out that the last 2 tickets(70 each) were because I had not paid 2 old tickets back in 2009 (30 bucks each :rolleyes: )

well as long as my car doesnt get towed im happy, not even sure if il graduate lol

turbotrip
07-01-2010, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by scat330

So many wrongs in this thread. They cannot get your personal information from a license plate, simple as that. They don't know who it's registered to, unless it's on your student file that you've wrote your plate down. :facepalm:

yes they can, they send a letter to the registered owner of the vehicle if the fines are not paid

Originally posted by -relk-

what really sucks for you guys is that you get city of lethbridge tickets so you actually have to pay them

dandia89
07-01-2010, 02:57 PM
i realized recently mount royal is on city of calgary parking, which is quite strange since u of c is on their own service

Zero102
07-01-2010, 03:04 PM
I did go to the parking control place and found out that the last 2 tickets(70 each) were because I had not paid 2 old tickets back in 2009 (30 bucks each :rolleyes: )

well as long as my car doesnt get towed im happy, not even sure if il graduate lol

It takes overdue tickets before they will threaten to tow your car. You forgot to pay 2 tickets so you had 2 overdue ones, of course they will threaten to tow your car. Every parking authority I know of acts this same way.

It is not something personal, how can a parking ticket "feel" personal?... You broke the rules and were issued a ticket.

Power_Of_Rotary
07-01-2010, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Zero102

It takes overdue tickets before they will threaten to tow your car. You forgot to pay 2 tickets so you had 2 overdue ones, of course they will threaten to tow your car. Every parking authority I know of acts this same way.

It is not something personal, how can a parking ticket "feel" personal?... You broke the rules and were issued a ticket.

when I say personal is that the last ticket i got, was given out at exactly when my meter expired. Tho the ticket given out stated parking when suspended (which costs more than a normal ticket). I said it seems personal, didnt say it was.

Pollywog
07-01-2010, 08:46 PM
Tickets are issued for vehicles parked infront of expired meters, regardless of whether its been one minute or an hour. What are you expecting, a certain amount of "buffer" time where they will ignore the fact that you are no longer renting that space?

Power_Of_Rotary
07-01-2010, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Pollywog
Tickets are issued for vehicles parked infront of expired meters, regardless of whether its been one minute or an hour. What are you expecting, a certain amount of "buffer" time where they will ignore the fact that you are no longer renting that space?

just ranting buddy.. but its not a lie when you see them waiting for close to expiring meters.

Orbie
07-02-2010, 04:45 PM

just ranting buddy.. but its not a lie when you see them waiting for close to expiring meters.

I've had the same treatment at City of Calgary parking downtown, it's not personal, just unlucky. Logically though, if they gave buffer time arbitrarily the whole system of paying for renting a parking space would be out the window. In the end your parking expired and you got a ticket, maybe it might have been different if you were 30 seconds late and you ran up before the guy finished the ticket, but who knows. Maybe next time when you're late for an exam/class, pull up with all the meters being taken and someone is taking up a spot with an expired meter you might be happy to see a ticket on their window :dunno: