PDA

View Full Version : Location starter in 1990 Pontiac Grand Prix-other options-wont start!

RobinBird501
12-16-2003, 11:11 AM
I don't have the book and cannot locate the starter in my 1990 pontiac Grand prix.

Also advice please: Car wont start...Replaced alternator after intermittent wont start problems(if I waited 5-10 minutes, then it would start) two weeks later - wouldn't start again, except for with a jump, but then dead again (headlights dimmed but inside all came on) so bought new battery (WAS a dead cell in it and fluid all gone) now wont start again - have lights and inside noises, but turn key and no click, no raam raam, nothing.

I'm a 40 yr. old woman and on my own with no one to help me - learning as I go. Was told I could hit starter with hammer and temporarily get it to start till I get more money together. But have no "car" book and cannot locate starter. Fuel injection in the middle - I'm not used to engines like this. Can't find anything. Just bought car used 6 weeks ago out of desperation.

Any advice appreciated! Happy Holidays! :dunno: :nut:

Weapon_R
12-16-2003, 02:23 PM
The starter should be somewhere on the engine in the front. Look for it somewhere in front of the radiator - I am assuming you have the 3.1L engine.

cocoabrova
12-16-2003, 02:53 PM
Both the 2.8L/3.1L are designed the same way. The starter is located either just behind the rad, or in front of firewall (standing in front of the car)

RobinBird501
12-17-2003, 07:19 PM
Thanks you guys - I REALLY appreciate your help - I still haven't located it - but at least I know where to start now. A hundred times more thanks - Robin