PDA

View Full Version : Suncor / Shell / RioTinto / IOC Anyone?

themack89
06-26-2010, 07:24 PM
These are the 4 company's that I have learned are involved with dump truck driving (the big 250 to 500tonne dump trucks). Suncor / Shell obviously in the Oil Sands, and Rio Tinto / IOC in mining diamonds and iron ore. I'm just wondering if anyone can provide some info on salary, work rotations, etc. or if they are even hiring at all?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

ExtraSlow
06-26-2010, 07:53 PM
I can add two things:
1) Syncrude
2) This is a pretty hard job to get. They don't let just anyone drive one of these 4000 hp, 600 ton, $5,000,000 beasts. You'll probably be with them several years before you get that assignment.

themack89
06-26-2010, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
I can add two things:
1) Syncrude
2) This is a pretty hard job to get. They don't let just anyone drive one of these 4000 hp, 600 ton, $5,000,000 beasts. You'll probably be with them several years before you get that assignment.

Thanks for mentioning Syncrude, my buddy's pop works for them maybe I'll talk to him about it.

I always get jobs I'm not qualified for though, the door is closed so I climb in the window. That's not what I'm worried about though. :poosie:

JDMMAN
06-26-2010, 09:24 PM
Most of the places that have these pieces of heavy hauling equipment hire operators that are in a labour union. The salary will not vary too much; only the additional "perks" that will vary. However the further North you work, there's something called a Northern Living Allowance and a few other tax related incentives.

kaput
06-26-2010, 09:54 PM

broken_legs
06-26-2010, 10:05 PM
I can add two things:
1) Syncrude

Actually....

Originally posted by kaput

3) Be female and native

I know a couple women who have held this job at coal mines & copper mines. Not a hard job to get at all based on my impression on the aforementioned women. Young, stupid, lazy - and for some it was their first real job out of high school. Not trying to bash women here, i've worked with some awesome female operators up north, just these particular ladies did NOT impress.

SilverGS
06-28-2010, 09:55 AM
I know a couple of girls who also drive those trucks and they don't seem the type at all as well.

Elk Valley Coal also have those size trucks at their mines.

derran.m
06-28-2010, 10:34 AM
^^^ I was gonna say ... Elk Valley/Sparwood have the big units ... and here I am entry level no experience and on the verge of having a job driving one of the rock trucks.....

If you wanna get into the big trucks you gotta get with the smaller companies, bigger ones expect you to have all the tickets/appropriate licence. This is to protect themselves, because in the case of a major accident, they will get investigated rather thoroughly, due to their size - is the impression I have been given...

ExtraSlow
06-28-2010, 01:33 PM
Not to mention, Elk Valley is a better place to live than Fort Mac.

derran.m
06-28-2010, 03:20 PM
Not to mention, Elk Valley is a better place to live than Fort Mac.
QFT
Except for the lack of housing available, apparently ...
my father-in-law does alot of new development for all the big O&G and Energy sectors ... and he told me he just won a contract to make homes for the 15,000 people they need in sparwood over the next 5-10 years

themack89
06-29-2010, 12:18 PM
Do you guys have a rough idea of how much the drivers in Elk Valley are earning? Or the lady's that you know of who are driving up in the north?

Mckenzie
06-29-2010, 12:38 PM
I am working in Sparwood for Teck right now and can tell you that it's probably better than fort mac from what I have heard. The scenery is nice, the people are super friendly and there is a golf course / lots of places to keep active. HOWEVER! It is boring, but Fernie is near by for some local entertainment (all guys here).

I am thinking truck drivers are around the 70-80k mark.

EDIT: I should state that many people who work for Teck in the area's COAL MINES live in many of the small towns around here- Blairmore, Crows Nest Pass, Fernie, Elk Ford, etc.

I would look at Teck as well as Elk Valley.