PDA

View Full Version : Chop

UndrgroundRider
06-26-2010, 11:01 PM
The wife and I decided to try out CHOP at Chinook for dinner this evening.

Overall it was a good experience.

The good:

- Great wine selection
- Appetizers were excellent (best cheese toast I've ever had)
- Service was great, food came out quick and warm
- Atmosphere was good
- Had a wireless CC machine so I could do the chip-pin bullshit right at the table

The bad:
- Steaks were mediocre at best. The seasoning was very good, but both my wife's top sirloin and my tenderloin (filet) were bottom of barrel superstore quality cuts of meat. They also serve their filets in red wine reduction sauce. IMO that's sacrilege.
- A little on the pricey side, but still not far off from the local competition (Cactus Club, Joey Tomatoes, etc.)

calepeters
06-27-2010, 12:17 AM
i'm sorry to hear that you dont care for the steaks, I work there as a server, any suggestions to pass along to management?

boarderfatty
06-27-2010, 03:13 AM
My ex GF used to work at the one in Edmonton, the steaks were mediocre, but I found the seared Ahi Tuna Steak to be well above average compared to anyone else that offers a tuna steak in e-town

MR_PIMP
06-27-2010, 08:43 AM
The Girls Are Hot :drool:

bastardchild
06-27-2010, 09:04 AM
I thought the steak was really good. But then again, I'm used to only eating shit ass meats growing up as a kid.

UndrgroundRider
06-27-2010, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by calepeters
i'm sorry to hear that you dont care for the steaks, I work there as a server, any suggestions to pass along to management?

My only suggestion is to find a better supplier of your beef, and exercise better selection of the beef you do get. Obviously it can't all be top notch from the supplier, but at $33 for an 8oz filet, your chef better be weeding out the less desirables. I'm sure Chop has a single supplier for the whole chain, so I doubt that's a realistic change.

JordanEG6
06-27-2010, 10:20 PM
I actually liked the steaks.
I ordered the Steak Oscar, it was delicious

trieuth
06-27-2010, 11:59 PM
the steaks were okay, the scalloped potatoes and cheese toast on the other hand was unreal. How they made such simple things so good was amazing. and yes, very hot servers

89coupe
06-30-2010, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by UndrgroundRider

My only suggestion is to find a better supplier of your beef, and exercise better selection of the beef you do get. Obviously it can't all be top notch from the supplier, but at $33 for an 8oz filet, your chef better be weeding out the less desirables. I'm sure Chop has a single supplier for the whole chain, so I doubt that's a realistic change.

Who is their supplier? What grade of beef is it? What type?

BrknFngrs
06-30-2010, 11:34 AM
So is the place basically another Joey Tomato's/Earls/Cactus Club/Milestones/Etc clone?

dino_martini
06-30-2010, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs
So is the place basically another Joey Tomato's/Earls/Cactus Club/Milestones/Etc clone?

Its owned by the same people that made Moxies. But its supposed to be a sort of 'upper' scale steak house. Not like Ruths Chris, but like the Keg perhaps.

For anyone wondering, Chop is located right in front of the Chinook Centre Scotia Bank Theater.

beyond_ban
06-30-2010, 12:53 PM
^ As in across Mcleod?

know1edge
06-30-2010, 01:16 PM

UndrgroundRider
07-01-2010, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe

Who is their supplier? What grade of beef is it? What type?

No idea who their supplier is. If they really are owned by moxies then they will have several.

Grade of beef... It's impossible to be exact, but I have had AA beef with better marbling. But if you know how beef is graded then you would know beef is graded whole, which means there can be quite a bit of variance between the grade and the marbling of the steak you actually end up eating.

Type? Do you mean cut? Or how it was prepared? Or the breed of cattle?

It was a tenderloin steak (which we call filet mignon in North America, even though true filet mignon only comes from the smaller end of the tenderloin).

I had it medium-rare with no other special instructions.

And I have no idea what the breed of cattle was. There's so much mixed breeding of cattle that I doubt anyone could tell you, excluding the obvious Waygu and other ultra-high marbling content bloodlines.

Dodobird
07-01-2010, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban
^ As in across Mcleod?

No it's literally right in front of the theatre. Kind of odd IMO.

Kinda sucks to hear the steaks weren't so good. I was interested in trying it out sometime

Disoblige
07-01-2010, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Dodobird

Kinda sucks to hear the steaks weren't so good. I was interested in trying it out sometime
Yes it does suck. When I saw the place being built, I was interested and hoped it wasn't just some place with hot waitresses and subpar dining. Seems like that's what it is..

boarderfatty
07-01-2010, 09:08 PM
I wouldn't say the dining is subpar I would just say the steaks are average, nothing above most other steak houses for the same price, but nothing terrible either. I find that some of their other dishes are very good though.

Their steak is supposedly Black Angus, or was when the Ex started working there.

they have a couple good appy's
The lobster dip, beef carpaccio, and lobster pastrie things are all recomended

Their Prime rib is better than their steak imo but not the best in Edmonton, my only gripe with it is the fact I dont get a yorkshire pudding with it, I think Yorkshire pudding is needed to complete a prime rib meal.

I find they have some of the better fish dishes in Edmonton
first the Ahi Tuna Steak
second the Macadamian nut Mahi Mahi
third the sablefish

sexualbanana
07-02-2010, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Dodobird

It's a weird little add-on to the parking structure by the Theatres. Apparently, the owners specifically wanted that spot because someone had told them it was the busiest theater in North America. Which I think is total bullshit.

rage2
07-02-2010, 03:09 PM
I tried Chop a week ago, and have the same feeling that most of you guys have. The steaks were average/slightly above average, and they hid the mediocrity by going all out on the spices. Sure made me thirsty! The entire meal was very salty for me.

It wasn't bad, just not as good as I thought it would be. The decor was really nice tho. Nice and dark atmosphere.

89coupe
07-03-2010, 02:13 PM
Tried it last night.
Fiance got the filet
I got the Artic Char

Artic Char was undercooked, almost mushy.

Filet was average at best.

Decor was nice but the clientel definitely didn't fit the decor...lol.

Its tries to come off as fine dining, but when you see 22 year olds wearing bball shirts and baseball caps it kind of spoils that idea.

The washrooms seem to have no sound barrier as you can hear people drying off their hands in the dining area...lol

The staff was very green and a lot of small mistakes were being made.

I doubt I will go back.

Jlude
07-03-2010, 02:41 PM
I went to Chop in Winnipeg months ago. My review would be the same as 89coupe. I haven't been back since.

rage2
07-03-2010, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe
Its tries to come off as fine dining, but when you see 22 year olds wearing bball shirts and baseball caps it kind of spoils that idea.
I hope I don't run into you at dinner then, I'm always out in shorts and hair metal t-shirts regardless where I go. :rofl:

nonlinear
07-03-2010, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by rage2

I hope I don't run into you at dinner then, I'm always out in shorts and hair metal t-shirts regardless where I go. :rofl:

this.

Jlude
07-03-2010, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by rage2

He's right though. So many restaurants create a nice atmosphere, but anyone can walk in wearing anything. Is there even a restaurant in Calgary that enforces a dress code?

t-im
07-03-2010, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Jlude

He's right though. So many restaurants create a nice atmosphere, but anyone can walk in wearing anything. Is there even a restaurant in Calgary that enforces a dress code?

Yes - at private clubs. I guess the difference for me is at restaurants like Rush or Teatro (or anything similar), I wouldn't consider walking in wearing shorts & a tee. At chain restaurants like Joey's or The Keg, I wouldn't give it a second thought.

andre9000
07-03-2010, 06:35 PM
come on. a "Classy" steakhouse at a city mall? :rofl: don't even compare this place to Saltlik.

rob the knob
07-03-2010, 06:50 PM
its at mall;
what expect

nj2Type-S
11-26-2010, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by andre9000
come on. a "Classy" steakhouse at a city mall? :rofl: don't even compare this place to Saltlik.

lol @ saltlik.

the last time i was there, there was a band-aid in my calamari. our table was pleased because our entire table's bill was taken care of the manager but i wasn't as pleased cuz i was friggin hungry!!!

EM1FTW
11-26-2010, 11:20 PM
I went to chop at chinook with about 8 people after a track day this summer

A few of the people ordered slush drinks which sat on the bar long enough to separate and melt a fair bit before the sever brought them to us. They complained, the soulution? Take them back to the bar and stir them :rofl:

Our food took over an hour to come out, all of the food was cold, two of my friends dishes weren't even cooked (lamb and a steak ordered medium well)

Needless to say, I, along with all of the people I went with that day will not be going back.

shakalaka
11-26-2010, 11:45 PM
I've been there a couple times with the gf now. I loved the Chop Burger the first time I went there, but it wasn't much the second time. My gf tried some tuna dish and she said it was amazing. Always talks about it and wants to go have it again.

know1edge
11-29-2010, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by nj2Type-S

lol @ saltlik.

the last time i was there, there was a band-aid in my calamari. our table was pleased because our entire table's bill was taken care of the manager but i wasn't as pleased cuz i was friggin hungry!!!

Can i ask approximately when this was?

Guillermo
11-29-2010, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by nj2Type-S

lol @ saltlik.

ewwww!!! that's nasty!!!! :barf:

Jlude
11-30-2010, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by shakalaka
I've been there a couple times with the gf now. I loved the Chop Burger the first time I went there, but it wasn't much the second time. My gf tried some tuna dish and she said it was amazing. Always talks about it and wants to go have it again.

My ex had the same tuna dish and loved it too.

K3RMiTdot
11-30-2010, 10:04 AM
i had it a week or 2 after it opened, food wasnt too bad, but wasn't worth the price we were paying.

n1zm0
11-30-2010, 10:52 AM
the outdoor patio looks cool, especially say on a friday or saturday midsummer when the sun's about to set.

but all these reviews are making it just a big BS hype, maybe better off going to the upstairs patio at Joeys?

JAYMEZ
11-30-2010, 01:20 PM
Been a few times now with my gf. Apps are great / Service is always good.. But I just dont like the steaks that much ... I dunno it must not be a good beef supplier.

Zewind
11-30-2010, 01:43 PM
recently went there with the gf, apps were amazing.

I personal thought the wait time for food was alittle long, but meh.

The hostess wear some pretty skimpy outfits :rolleyes:

jjmac
11-30-2010, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by know1edge

Could it have been your band-aid? :barf: :nut:

nj2Type-S
11-30-2010, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by know1edge

this happened a while back, actually. it was last february when we booked the basement for buddy's bday. luckily, the band-aid was nowhere near my mouth but i was PISSED cuz i just came from muay thai and i was starving.

the manager asked if we wanted anything else. in hindsight, i should've asked for a bottle of wine for each table but mehhh...was it your band-aid!?!!? hahaha!

know1edge
11-30-2010, 11:20 PM
Haha no it wasn't mine, a friend who used to work there told me he lost his band aid once, but it was back in summer.:rolleyes:

KRyn
11-30-2010, 11:24 PM
Only two places to get a steak in Calgary are Vintage or Chicago Chop House. Having friends that work at both is even better because they can get meat at cost then I can cook it how I like it. Uncooked and still breathing! :poosie:

Chandler_Racing
12-01-2010, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by KRyn
Only two places to get a steak in Calgary are Vintage or Chicago Chop House. Having friends that work at both is even better because they can get meat at cost then I can cook it how I like it. Uncooked and still breathing! :poosie:

You've definitely not been to Rouge. :drool:

snoop101
12-27-2010, 07:59 AM
Went there once. Wont go back.

Servers were nice. Some dressed respectful, while others dressed like they were trying to sell their body.

Food wise I had the special which was like a fried prime rib. She said it was going to be medium. I like it rare, but I figured what the hell i'll try it. Bad mistake. It was chewy and tough. I had better meat at a crappy little pub.

Im trying to remember what the wife had, but it was good.

I think the biggest issue I had was the fact that people made it out to be the milestones/moxy/joeys killer and really its a down grade in all areas. The other three all have their own uniqueness and it works.