PDA

View Full Version : DRL and HID problem

frozenrice
06-27-2010, 09:32 AM
I just installed a HID conversion kit in my 2003 Honda Odyssey. So far, everything works. The only exception is perhaps the compatibility of the kit with the DRLs. Since the installation of the HIDs, the DRLs no longer work. Does anyone know if this issue has anything to do with the fact that the kit only requires connection to only one OEM headlight harness? I'm thinking the DRL system requires current to both harnesses to function properly, but I'm not 100% sure.

dj_rice
06-27-2010, 09:54 AM
Is ur Odyssey a single beam bulb or dual filament bulb?If its dual filament, hopefully you installed a High/Low kit then the DRL should work.

frozenrice
06-27-2010, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Is ur Odyssey a single beam bulb or dual filament bulb?If its dual filament, hopefully you installed a High/Low kit then the DRL should work.

It's a dual filament (H4/9003). I got a hi/low kit but the relay that came with it only connects to one factory harness. The ballasts are powered directly off the battery. I'm suspecting the DRL requires current to both harnesses. When I start up the van, and release the Ebrake, the headlights come on momentarily, but then go off and then I get the DRL indicator on the dash. I'm trying to think of a safe way to connect the low beam on the unused harness to see if it'll trick the DRL module.

97luder
06-29-2010, 12:24 PM
it should be fine you dont want you DRLs on any way cause that will burn your bulbs out faster , thats why you have the relay so it bypasses the DRL im pretty sure

Some one correct me if im wrong

dawson13
07-05-2010, 01:10 PM
common problem in newer vehicles drls only require half the voltage of normal running lights and the hids need 12 volts to run therefore the hids are not getting enough voltage to stay on

bspot
07-05-2010, 01:51 PM
You should be able to get different relays that will trip on the lower voltage.

FiveFreshFish
07-05-2010, 05:12 PM
There are DRL circuits that produce a square wave to lower the headlight output.

http://www.preromanbritain.com/maxymiser/squarewave.jpg

To a halogen bulb, it's effectively a lower voltage but this waveform isn't appropriate for an HID ballast. There are latching relays that can get around this.

narou
07-05-2010, 05:45 PM
If it has parking lights hook up the drl to those