PDA

View Full Version : White People, what are they good for?

potatopineapple
06-27-2010, 10:20 AM
Just kidding, but dang...you guys even get to rock
discrimination (http://www.cnbc.com/id/37759560/Now_Hiring_Fake_Executives_in_China_No_Experience_Required) better than us...

Kloubek
06-27-2010, 10:27 AM
No really... what ARE we good for?!!

I'm stumped. :)

broken_legs
06-27-2010, 10:38 AM
Just found my next job :rofl:.

For the Link Clicking impaired:

If you're a white guy in China and you own a suit — Congratulations! You're hired.

There’s an odd trend brewing there, where companies hire fake executives from the U.S. and other Western nations to attend events, give speeches and generally just to give that appearance in the community and in the business world of that connection with the western world.

Moxley said he, along with five other guys, was hired to be a “quality-control expert” for $1,000 a week, though it was made clear to him at the time of hiring that they wouldn’t be doing any quality control.

The job would entail attending some dinners, going to a ceremony and touring the factory once a day. The rest of the time, he and the other “executives” sat in fly-ridden office, where they slept, read magazines and joked around.

Moxley remembers the first time he visited the building site, he asked a foreman: Who's in charge here? The foreman replied, “You are.” In fact, they picked the eldest-looking of the fake executives, Ernie, and put him in charge. He even had to give a speech.

“After our company ‘director’ finished his speech and was posing for a photo with the mayor, I remember having this ‘I can’t believe they bought that’ sense of accomplishment – like a teenager who successfully lies to his parents about smoking,” Moxley said. “It was pretty funny.”

Moxley said they were told they were working for a U.S. company based in California, a story that later turned out to be untrue. It was really just a ruse to impress the workers and the entire community — they even had the mayor at the opening — that they were some fancypants American company.

ZenOps
06-27-2010, 10:55 AM
Cost of doing business.

If you ever have a patentable idea - and don't have a PHD or post secondary. Its in your best interest to hire a guy with one and say that he thought up the idea (and just take all the money in an ironclad corporation). It will greatly reduce the number of inevitable patent infringement lawsuits.

Nobody questions the guy with 3 PHDs and a really big head :)

Same thing with hiring corporate representatives. Ex football guys are great for communicating with US branches. Well respected and unquestioned, can even get away with murd... OOops.

Even cheerleaders get paid afterall. The ugly unshaved engineers who do all the work, are hidden in the basement cubicles.

Xtrema
06-27-2010, 11:10 AM
Foreigners (especially white guys) who knows fluent Mandarin are hot commodities.

max_boost
06-27-2010, 11:16 AM
Oh shit. I can see redlyne_mr2 quitting BMW right now hahaha :thumbsup:

ZenOps
06-27-2010, 11:24 AM
It works the other way too.

White corporations will hire Chinese fluent English "cheerleader" reps, but only if they are male model stature 5 foot 11 inches or taller. Canada desperately needs more "face". Getting the Iphone4 half a year after the US should be an indicator of how healthy China trade is right now.

I knew I shoulda ate my wheeties, lol.

JustGo
06-27-2010, 05:19 PM
Isn't there a song about that?

White people, HUUUHHHH... YEAH!

What are we good for? Absolutely nothin'...

.....maybe it was 'war'... but either way.

TomcoPDR
06-27-2010, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by JustGo
Isn't there a song about that?

White people, HUUUHHHH... YEAH!

What are we good for? Absolutely nothin'...

.....maybe it was 'war'... but either way.

You gots it backward
nzY2Qcu5i2A

Even if you know how to swing a golf club, there're resorts (in China) that'll hire you as their recreation "head coach" expert.

For the nerdy white dudes who can't make it in North America, China is definitely something to consider... There's no head tax, you won't get tricked into working on the railroads. In China, it's right to be white.

ExtraSlow
06-27-2010, 07:11 PM
There are some Canadian companies who will hire natives for exactly the same reasons.

TomcoPDR
06-27-2010, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
There are some Canadian companies who will hire natives for exactly the same reasons.

http://www.iesi.com/Theme/Bfi/files/Images/bfi_truck_3.JPG

Thomas Gabriel
06-27-2010, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Foreigners (especially white guys) who knows fluent Mandarin are hot commodities.

What about canto?

PaleRider
06-27-2010, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Thomas Gabriel

What about canto?

Useless IMO. Lots of Caucasian in HK so they are not that special.

ZenOps
06-28-2010, 05:57 AM
Burgeoning tennis and golf instructor industry.

Its going to be interesting when the Yuan/RMB is coupled to world currencies. I've sort of gotten used to the idea of paying gold for Yuan. The Yuan is still very much tied to gold at this time in history.

http://www.kitconet.com/webcharts/au_en_cny.html

Peg the US dollar and British pound against the Yuan? Yeesh, that could easily mean that stuff from China will be double what the cost is now. No more easy money for me I guess, knew it couldn't last.

max_boost
06-28-2010, 11:53 AM

What about canto?

Canto only in HK and Macau I don't think it's even that useful when they all speak English as well. Mandarin is 99% used in China. Fuck Mandarin man, they all look at me like WTF? You Chinese and you don't know WTF I'm saying? LOL:whipped: :rofl:

Xtrema
06-28-2010, 12:40 PM

What about canto?

Canto was a popular dialect because that region was the chief export of cheap labor during the turn of last century. And the fact that Hong Kong was the only port into China for many decades up til 1990s.

Cantonese speaking population only account for less than 7% of whole China.

V6-BoI
06-28-2010, 01:19 PM

What about canto?

You can be another token white guy in Hong Kong dramas

Xtrema
06-28-2010, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by V6-BoI

You can be another token white guy in Hong Kong dramas

or token brown guy.