PDA

View Full Version : sait, devry, or u of c?

infamous
09-02-2002, 07:06 PM
hey i am looking to take a computer programming course next september. i graduated already, but i am taking a year off to just relax. has anyone taken any courses at sait, devry, or u of c?? i am trying to find out who offers the best classes for the best money, so any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks

D'z Nutz
09-02-2002, 09:16 PM
I think sait might be your best bet if you're looking to learn a specific language. U of C's courses aren't really geared towards teaching programming exactly; it's more towards theory and programming principles. I'm not exactly sure what Devry offers.

Still, the cheapest (and probably most effective) way to learn a specific programming language is to buy a book or search for on-line tutorials.

redec
09-02-2002, 09:19 PM
not devry....anything but devry

Ferio_vti
09-02-2002, 09:39 PM
Devry sux. Last semester you have to pay in US$$ and no one in Canada or the US accepts Devry as a real education institute. You'd be laughed out of any interview if you can get that far with Devry.

Dope Dealer
09-03-2002, 07:08 AM
I heard DeVry was very expensive. I think it was 10-15k CDN a semester or maybe it was for the whole year. Not sure exactly.

Import_Girl
09-03-2002, 07:26 AM
i go to devry and it sux, im trying to get out. It is a waste of money, it is 6500 cdn every 4 months, year round.....it is not worth it, i just finnished ayear and a half and now i dont no what to do cuz none of the classes are transferable because it is a private institute, so im screwed out of around $30,000.....:thumbsdow

GreenLude
09-03-2002, 09:58 AM
I've heard many horrible things about devry and who wants to go to school year round?

Speed_RaSiR
09-03-2002, 09:58 AM
SAIT!!! I took a 6 month course and got a good job :thumbsup:

Mikaldor
09-03-2002, 12:04 PM
Steer clear of Devry. It is really not accepted in Canada, nor by any institutions, so your not getting much for your money. :banghead:

The UC has a OOST courses for programming, which is 8 months long and has a work experience of 6 weeks. They are having problems getting companies to take students on work experience, and are running into credibility issues for the quality of the students that they are turning out. But there is the ghostly credit that you get for completing something at a university rather than a Tech institute.

The SAIT program is getting some great reviews for the quality of the courses and easily graduates make the transition to the business world. So quality of program and acceptance by the business community is on the increase.

My $0.02 worth.

OPGForce
09-03-2002, 01:23 PM
i completed the "Computer Technology" program @ SAIT 2 years ago. good program, i would recommend it to anyone that wants to learn how to "program", and make it useful for real world applications. for 2 years of studies, and a 8 month "work team", i paid just a little under $6000. not bad, considering my little bro is paying up the ass for "Computer Science" @ UofC. his basic comment about the courses there is that the profs don't give a "rats ass about u". therefore, ur on ur on....bad side of this is u don't learn things properly if u can't get any help...@ SAIT, they will hold ur hand through the first "introductory programming course", then ur own ur own, but if u know the fundenmental pricipals of programming, the rest if easy...(ie. if u don't know the alphabet “a-z”, how do u expect to read)

just my 2 cents.

P.S. --> STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM DEVRY!!!:bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit:

max_boost
09-03-2002, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Mikaldor
Steer clear of Devry. It is really not accepted in Canada, nor by any institutions, so your not getting much for your money. :banghead:

The UC has a OOST courses for programming, which is 8 months long and has a work experience of 6 weeks. They are having problems getting companies to take students on work experience, and are running into credibility issues for the quality of the students that they are turning out. But there is the ghostly credit that you get for completing something at a university rather than a Tech institute.

The SAIT program is getting some great reviews for the quality of the courses and easily graduates make the transition to the business world. So quality of program and acceptance by the business community is on the increase.

My $0.02 worth.

OOST program is for those who have competed a bachelors degree or who has a diploma.

OPGForce
09-03-2002, 04:02 PM
OOST program is for those who have competed a bachelors degree or who has a diploma.

and it will cost a fortune to take if u get in...$22,800(and rising) for 8 months of classes + work term...not worth it in my opinion.

:bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit:

2000impreza
09-03-2002, 07:02 PM
you could also check out what MRC offers. lol. not much there..

Ed the SOHC
09-03-2002, 07:09 PM
SAIT is where it's at IMO :thumbsup:

OMOYYC
09-03-2002, 07:48 PM
Coming from an employer's point of view, I prefer SAIT or U of C students. I have 1 programmer that is a Sait grad, a U of C Comp Sci grad, and a college grad. Both the SAIT and U of C grad are very good. I've tried a couple of devry guys, but no luck. I think it's all based on the person more than the school. There are also a lot of useless people coming out of SAIT and U of C as well.

This is just my opinion :D

Superesc
09-03-2002, 08:18 PM
ACAD is where its at!!!!

max_boost
09-03-2002, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by OPGForce

and it will cost a fortune to take if u get in...$22,800(and rising) for 8 months of classes + work term...not worth it in my opinion.

:bullshit: :bullshit: :bullshit:

DAM!
Its that expensive?

I'm at SAIT right now and I absolutely love it!

mwmhong
09-03-2002, 10:46 PM
The UC has a OOST courses for programming, which is 8 months long and has a work experience of 6 weeks. They are having problems getting companies to take students on work experience, and are running into credibility issues for the quality of the students that they are turning out.

My $0.02 worth.

Sounds like the management co-op program, LOL

I see that OOST propoganda plastered all over the place, in the papers, on campus publications, it's so tempting, starting salary 40K-60K, high demand, etc. etc. OOST OOST OOST everywhere, now reading this, I think I'll steer clear, I was thinking about it for a career change, but $22,000??? WTF?

I can go to SAIT and buy a new car!

Mikaldor
09-04-2002, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by mwmhong

Sounds like the management co-op program, LOL

I see that OOST propoganda plastered all over the place, in the papers, on campus publications, it's so tempting, starting salary 40K-60K, high demand, etc. etc. OOST OOST OOST everywhere, now reading this, I think I'll steer clear, I was thinking about it for a career change, but $22,000??? WTF?

I can go to SAIT and buy a new car!

Let's be realistic.... no program can guarentee you that. And as a employer, there is slim to no chance that I would hire a new grad at 40-60k now for programming. That is far more realistic of a programmer with 3 - 5 years experience now.

mwmhong
09-04-2002, 04:10 PM

Let's be realistic.... no program can guarentee you that. And as a employer, there is slim to no chance that I would hire a new grad at 40-60k now for programming. That is far more realistic of a programmer with 3 - 5 years experience now.

Here's the propoganda, I found some:

-A new study released by the Information Technology Association of Canada (ITAC) states that if the economic rebound in Canada continues, a skilled labour shortage in the information technology sector may appear as early as this year. (The Globe and Mail; May 06, 2002)
-Graduating students are granted a University of Calgary Diploma in "Object Oriented Software Technology", offered through the Faculty of Continuing Education.
-The Object Oriented Software Technology (OOST) Program focuses on the skills and knowledge that enable you to successfully work and compete in the exciting e-business, wireless applications and object oriented software development fields.
-Typical starting salaries for OOST graduates have ranged from $36,000 to $65,000 per year, with over 90% of the graduates receiving offers of full time employment in the IT industry within 30 days of completing their paid Internship.
-If you have a University degree or a 2 year diploma in any discipline, step ahead and let the OOST program launch your new e-business career.

Copied and pasted form http://www.oost.ca/UofC/

Sounds pretty good huh? :devil:

Dope Dealer
09-04-2002, 04:29 PM

I think that is a reasonable salary for programmers. Some I know make well over 70-100k USD a year (Some haven't even taken a course).

gpomp
09-04-2002, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by mwmhong
Typical starting salaries for OOST graduates have ranged from $36,000 to $65,000 per year

Probably 99% of those get paid between 36-37k and the other 1% get the 37-65k.

infamous
09-10-2002, 02:47 PM
alright. thank you for the info everyone. i think i will seriously check into sait. that will be my first choice now that i hear how bad it is.

Toma
09-10-2002, 05:53 PM
Markets have changed man. The tech bubble has burst, and there are thousands of programmers and IT people looking for work. Went with a buddy to an open hiring thingy for a small group of companies, and the one girl working at one booth there said they had 37 positions, but received 1800 resumes!!!!

U of C is always the highest standard, and you will make the most money right out of school. If you can't get a job, just keep going to school and then teach ;)

SAIT gets down to the nitty gritty and teaches you just the stuff that makes you employable.... less money of course (high 20's, low 30's).

Devry is totally the coolest, most hands on shiat. The problem is, if you miss a job opportunity RIGHT after graduation during one of thair job fairs, jobs are tough to get.

Toma

beyond4u
08-21-2003, 03:24 PM
SAIT

spyderman
08-21-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Toma

Devry is totally the coolest, most hands on shiat. The problem is, if you miss a job opportunity RIGHT after graduation during one of thair job fairs, jobs are tough to get.

Toma

I have a couple of coworkers who attended DeVry and they thought it was an absolute waste of money. They felt they were cheated out of their money, and weren't taught enough SQL, networking, etc....

On another note, my boss, will now only employ from SAIT and U of C. He steers clear of DeVry, and all private institutes.

I am a graduate of SAIT and I thought the program overall was very good. They cover a lot of material within a span of two years. The only thing I can really complain about is the odd lazy instructor who didn't give a crap, also, they did pick up some instructors that couldn't teach - they knew their stuff, but it's no good if they can't get their point across to the students....

E36M3
08-21-2003, 05:15 PM
If you are looking for an individual course or two, SAIT is definitely your best bet.

UofC (and other University level computer science programs) focus on the theory that you need to learn to have a *career* in CompSci. It is relatively general, but a motivated individual should be able to handle just about anything after graduating.

SAITs program is much more practical in nature. After their two year program, you will be a programmer (not necessarily true of the 4 year CompSci degree program at UofC). They mix in enough theory so that you can remain current.

The OOST program is the ultimate in hands on learning. They skip the theory (as some see it, the fluff) and jump right into the learning as many languages/technologies as possible in 8 months.

We've had employees from all three of these programs, with varying degress of success from each. I can tell you though, without a doubt, that the people coming out of OOST were the most clueless.

My favorite programmer came out of the SAIT programmer, but he is also very smart and self-motivated, so that might have a lot to do with it.

The bottom line is that UofC + experience is probably the best route, but SAIT helps you to find a worthwhile compromise between time/money invested in your education.

Davetronz
08-22-2003, 12:24 AM
SAIT man, come join our happy SAIT family!
:D

MerfBall
08-22-2003, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by Dope Dealer

I think that is a reasonable salary for programmers. Some I know make well over 70-100k USD a year (Some haven't even taken a course).

Only if you are willing to move to the states and work in Silicone Valley, very few Canadian jobs are that high profile, upon graduation.

Originally posted by gpomp

Probably 99% of those get paid between 36-37k and the other 1% get the 37-65k.

That's correct, but U of C also has very strong relationships with some very high profile companies and typically the OOST work term you go on, the company also keeps you. I have known quite a few OOST graduates and they are doing very well. Mind you almost all of them have degrees to back the OOST diploma.

Originally posted by Toma
Markets have changed man. The tech bubble has burst, and there are thousands of programmers and IT people looking for work. Went with a buddy to an open hiring thingy for a small group of companies, and the one girl working at one booth there said they had 37 positions, but received 1800 resumes!!!!

U of C is always the highest standard, and you will make the most money right out of school. If you can't get a job, just keep going to school and then teach ;)

SAIT gets down to the nitty gritty and teaches you just the stuff that makes you employable.... less money of course (high 20's, low 30's).

Right again, those of you thinking you will make the money that Rage does now, are going to find it shocking that those kind of positions would require 10 + years in all areas of development and project management. Why? Because of the tech crash. 4 -5 years ago there was a high demand for anyone with any type of knowledge of IT could get a job. U of C itself was only churning out on average 16-20 CPSC graduates a semester.

The difference between a SAIT/Devry/College diploma/certificate and a University degree, will only be realized later on in your career. Altho most University degree holders have starting salaries equal to people who came from Colleges, if you compare salaries 4-5 years from now, you will find that the University degree holders will be making quite a bit more.

spun
09-24-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by spyderman

I have a couple of coworkers who attended DeVry and they thought it was an absolute waste of money. They felt they were cheated out of their money, and weren't taught enough SQL, networking, etc....

On another note, my boss, will now only employ from SAIT and U of C. He steers clear of DeVry, and all private institutes.

I am a graduate of SAIT and I thought the program overall was very good. They cover a lot of material within a span of two years. The only thing I can really complain about is the odd lazy instructor who didn't give a crap, also, they did pick up some instructors that couldn't teach - they knew their stuff, but it's no good if they can't get their point across to the students....

exactly what im noticing in my first year
some teachers know the material but have no freaking clue what they are doing up infront of students. also cutting classes short all the time, i come out of that class feeling like i havent learned anything at all. there is a test coming up in this one class and i cant think what the hell will be on it!!!

it is as if i were to start teaching mechanics... i have a general idea but no way i could teach it

Mr_John
09-26-2003, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by MerfBall

Only if you are willing to move to the states and work in Silicone Valley, very few Canadian jobs are that high profile, upon graduation.

Not true. My uncle who had just graduated from U of A only about 1year - nearly 2years(approx around there) is working for IBM in Toronto.
Got 2 offers as soon as he had graduated. He was offered a higher paying job in Boston but... he chose IBM instead because of the better environment and etc.
He's also a programmer.
Imagine this, he's 23.... just graduated and is already making $60-$65,000 a year. thats pretty good.

GuruChaz
01-16-2004, 01:29 AM
I'm not sure how different Devry University is in Canada compared to the US but as a CEO and hiring manager for a large technical corporation in the Dallas area, I can tell you what I look for when a resume comes across my desk.

First of all, is the school accredited or is it a degree mill? If I am unfamiliar with a college, I do my research. If you go to this website, http://www.abet.org/ you will get a listing of colleges across the nation that are accredited by ABET (Accreditation Board for Engineering & Technology). The individuals with this organization sit in on engineering and technical classes at various universities and question the students and determine the quality of education. You should recognize many colleges on their list...including Devry which is based in Illinois.

Years ago, Devry had some cheesy TV advertisements that blended in with schools like ITT, ATI Academy, some trucker schools, and etc. In the last few years, Devry has emerged into an actual accredited university system and not some cheesy technical school which is mainly from old rumors and not firsthand experience.

To the person who says they are paying $6000 a semester, yes that is a lot of money over a period of 3 years at 3 semesters a year. However, Devry also accepts a lot of transfer classes which could be taken at less expensive institutions. These classes should be listed on your nearest Devry's website. You could probably knock out the English classes, Math, Lab Science, Humanities, Social Sciences, and so forth at a public college for $1500 a semester and then transfer all that to Devry and defray a lot of the cost. Now you are paying for what you really want to get into...your technical classes and labs. On top of that, once you finish a Bachelor's Degree, you now have the opportunity to get a Master's Degree through Keller Graduate School of Management. http://www.keller.edu/ Can you say "big bucks" and "instant hire"?

As a hiring manager, and I'll use Computer Networking as an example, I want individuals who have hands on experience and not just a bunch of book knowledge. Anyone can learn by reading a book and you don't need necessarily need college for that. Ever heard of Microsoft Press, Sybex, or Que Publications? I want someone that actually knows what they are doing and can do what they have learned in their lab classes on quality equipment and not outdated trash.

Am I a Devry graduate? No. I graduated from Texas A & M...oh, and by the way it's also on the ABET list. ;) However, I have hired many individuals from Devry and my company wouldn't be the success it is now if those individuals had a shoddy education and didn't know what they were doing. I certainly wouldn't be driving a new Vette z06 that is paid for or be able to pay close to 6 figure salaries. I only hire the best and Devry University is cranking out some quality employees these days. Don't be so quick to knock that school. Like I said, the school in Canada may be under restrictions or different management. Who knows?

:drama:

thich
01-16-2004, 01:35 AM
so far, all the people I know who've come out of DeVry here have been shafted :thumbsdow
no job because it's not an accredited institution

GuruChaz
01-16-2004, 01:38 AM
It's accredited by ABET and NCA and a few others, but it looks like Canada has a different accreditation system. I noticed that the degree programs are less than what's offered in the US. There are no Biomedical, Technical Management or Networking Communications Management degrees offered. Hmmm :banghead:

GuruChaz
01-16-2004, 01:52 AM
Effective with the summer 2001 term, on recommendation of the Private Colleges Accreditation Board, the Government of Alberta granted DeVry Calgary accreditation to award the following baccalaureate degrees: Bachelor of Business Operations, Bachelor of Technology in Computer Information Systems and Bachelor of Technology in Electronics Engineering Technology. This accreditation was granted under Section 64.5(3) of the Universities Act of Alberta. During the period of transition, DeVry Calgary will continue to offer DeVry Phoenix degree-completion courses in these programs to those students electing to continue their studies toward a bachelor of science credential from DeVry University's Phoenix campus.

The Computer Engineering Technology and Information Technology curricula offered at DeVry Calgary fall under the accreditation of DeVry Phoenix as an off-site instructional location.

The Electronics Engineering Technology (EET) is accredited by the Canadian Technology Accreditation Board (CTAB). CTAB is a standing committee of the Canadian Council of Technicians and Technologists (CCTT). The board was created by CCTT in 1982 to promote excellence in technical education across Canada by furthering the standards used to certify individual technicians and technologists and by the National Accreditation Program, which is used to evaluate applied science and engineering technology programs. Working in partnership with CCTT and provincial constituent member associations, such as the Alberta Society of Engineering Technologists (ASET), the board fulfills its mission through the National Technology Accreditation program.

Organized to establish technician and technologist as professions, all provincial constituent members set standards for professional conduct and practice under the National Transferability Agreement governed by CCTT. ASET, as a constituent member of CCTT, is the official certifying body for graduates from accredited programs, such as DeVry Calgary's EET and Electronic Systems Technology programs. DeVry graduates are eligible for certification as technicians or technologists after two years of appropriate work experience.

In the United States, DeVry University is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission and is a member of the North Central Association (NCA), 30 North LaSalle Street, Chicago, Illinois, 60602, www.ncahigherlearningcommission.org 800/621-7440. NCA is listed by the U.S. Department of Education as a recognized accrediting association.

RiCE-DaDDy
01-16-2004, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by GuruChaz
It's accredited by ABET and NCA and a few others, but it looks like Canada has a different accreditation system. I noticed that the degree programs are less than what's offered in the US. There are no Biomedical, Technical Management or Networking Communications Management degrees offered. Hmmm :banghead:

You're saying Devry Canada offers less degree programs than its US counterpart right? just makin sure ;)

SI-vic
01-16-2004, 02:09 AM
SAIT is only good for Computer related classes such as CNT, Web Designing , and etc.

Mt.Royal is only good for Business courses and I suppose maybe sciences.

U of C is good for EVERYTHING because we all know if you graduate from U of C, in the end you'll be making more then the SAIT or Mt.Royal guy.
Degree over Diploma.

Everyone will make the same amount of money at first, but its the DEGREE that will bring you promotions.

IMO,
When I went to SAIT, it was pretty good. Im enjoying MRC better right now though.

QuA
01-16-2004, 04:47 PM
Went to sait.... its ok, it really depends on your teacher.

University is a higher standard and makes you more well rounded.

QuA

Originally posted by SI-vic
SAIT is only good for Computer related classes such as CNT, Web Designing , and etc.

Mt.Royal is only good for Business courses and I suppose maybe sciences.

U of C is good for EVERYTHING because we all know if you graduate from U of C, in the end you'll be making more then the SAIT or Mt.Royal guy.
Degree over Diploma.

Everyone will make the same amount of money at first, but its the DEGREE that will bring you promotions.

IMO,
When I went to SAIT, it was pretty good. Im enjoying MRC better right now though.

GuruChaz
01-18-2004, 06:33 PM
You don't want to miss out on the Art Appreciation, Theater Appreciation and Philosophy of Ethics classes. They are so important to a technical career. (snicker) :bullshit:

Ok, so maybe Bill Gates would have done well to stay in college long enough to take an ethics class. :werd:

Chester
01-18-2004, 10:11 PM
I'm going to be taking Computer Technology at SAIT starting september, we'll see how that goes:dunno:

slidewayz
02-03-2004, 03:35 PM
Devry is Fucking gay. I'd say more, but why waste my time. Dont go there, unless I hate you.

switch
02-03-2004, 04:01 PM
DEVRY :thumbsdow

you couldn't pay me to go there. I have worked with people that went to school there -- each one lasted less than a week.

slidewayz
02-04-2004, 12:09 PM
I was there a month.. like I said.. FUCKING gay. You know how much that month cost me? $5000. basically.. if your dumb enough to finish your degree which no one in Canada recognizes, you will be down 50 large in 3 yrs.. MINIMUM.

nurvemployee
02-16-2004, 08:59 PM
I came across this thread and had to respond...

First off, GuruChaz...
You either work for Devry or own shares. That long winded response which included a brag about a vette...big deal. Sounded like Devry commercial in it's own right.

I graduated with a CIS degree from Devry...I earned a 3.5 GPA and with a lot of luck landed a job in the states. BUT I WAS NOT PROGRAMMING...NOR WOULD I EVER. Any recruiter you become friends with will tell you outright that Devry is like the low class of the bunch. You will be relegated to IT grunt work (installing servers, or crimping cable) while the best jobs (and the most interesting) are ONLY for University grads.

Trust me...I went back to University and it was worth it. A Devry degree is an over priced worthless piece of paper. Devry is like Computer High...it is high school level material focusing on computers. Don't waste your time or your money. AND PLEASE! Tell everyone about this so that this school's revenue will dry up and people will go and get a real education.

University is harder for a REASON. It is the real deal.

Marsh
02-25-2004, 10:54 PM
U of C is bullshit, steer clear from there

jer82
03-02-2004, 01:46 PM
Sait all the way, the classes are fairly easy but they cram lots of information in ya without you knowing it....

Worked for me

BebeAphrodite
03-02-2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Marsh
U of C is bullshit, steer clear from there

Why would u say that?

redec
03-02-2004, 04:23 PM
I dont believe people keep bringing this thread back up....it's like a year and a half old.....

as far as computer programming is concerned....trust my opinion on this...I personnally write code on a daily basis, in up to 7-8 different languages....I've personally interviewed and hired dozens of programmers...UofC and SAIT are good....devry is crap.....leave it at that, and let this thread die...PLEASE :)