PDA

View Full Version : Best 9-Hole Golf Course in Calgary?

Pages : [1] 2

flipstah
06-27-2010, 08:23 PM
Hi there!

A couple of buddies and I are planning to try out golfing for the first time (woot!) and we would like to know where the best 9-hole course is in Calgary?

We thought it'd best to pop our golf cherry in style, so I'm open to suggestions!

Thanks!

Cos
06-27-2010, 08:27 PM
Try fox hollow, nice and open so when you dont hit the fairway you arent hitting houses.

If you are an alright shot, try harvest hills.

B18C
06-27-2010, 08:33 PM
First time golfing I would suggest a par 3 nine hole course that is cheap so McCall lake, Richmond greens, maybe RCGA. If you want to use more than just a wedge and a putter I'd say Harvest Hills. Houses are pretty close to the fairways at Harvest Hills if I remember correctly.

flipstah
06-27-2010, 08:36 PM
Basically...

What we want is a well-maintained course that utilizes different clubs so we can get a feel of the sport.

And yes we would like to avoid houses haha. :)

Cos
06-27-2010, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
Basically...

What we want is a well-maintained course that utilizes different clubs so we can get a feel of the sport.

And yes we would like to avoid houses haha. :)

Depends where you live.

Fox hollow is good, lots of first timers/kids there. Plus carts and booze.

Harvest Hills is a good course but close to houses and can be hard with the water.

McCall Lake (32nd and deerfoot) is another good one.

Shaganappi is a bit harder/nicer but is still a fairly easy course.

Check out any City of Calgary course really. Some are harder but MOST are of the easy sort.

flipstah
06-27-2010, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Cos

Depends where you live.

Fox hollow is good, lots of first timers/kids there. Plus carts and booze.

Harvest Hills is a good course but close to houses and can be hard with the water.

McCall Lake (32nd and deerfoot) is another good one.

Shaganappi is a bit harder/nicer but is still a fairly easy course.

Check out any City of Calgary course really. Some are harder but MOST are of the easy sort.

So far, I think Fox Hollow is a good course; their driving range is very nice and carts? HELLS YEAH! :thumbsup:

trevh
06-27-2010, 08:55 PM
Douglasdale, decent short game course.

flipstah
06-27-2010, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by trevh
Douglasdale, decent short game course.

How's the grass there? Dead-brown?

chathamf
06-27-2010, 09:13 PM
You don't really need it to be easy if your on your first time because you are going to suck and be all over the place regardless.

I'd say give Shaganappi a shot. It's cheap and not super shitty. Has some nice holes. You will definetly get a chance to use a variety of clubs and figure some stuff out.

flipstah
06-27-2010, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by chathamf
You don't really need it to be easy if your on your first time because you are going to suck and be all over the place regardless.

I'd say give Shaganappi a shot. It's cheap and not super shitty. Has some nice holes. You will definetly get a chance to use a variety of clubs and figure some stuff out.

Shaganappi, eh? You are correct; I'm not looking for an easy course, just a well-maintained one so I can enjoy the sights and sounds.

Might give that a look! Thanks! =D

jsn
06-27-2010, 09:19 PM
seeing how you're all new to the sport, I'd try giving a city course a shot. City courses generally have more begginers so you probably won't feel as rushed as you would if you were on a semi-private course, and it's relatively cheap so you can get a feel for the game. That being said, I think Confederation is the best city course (for 9)

Cos
06-27-2010, 09:30 PM
Yeah you can play at a bit nicer course but you need to be careful as if it is a bit nicer course the marshals will really give you a hard time, plus you can be hitting other groups, houses, etc.

Shag is actually really nice compared to McCall and Fox Hollow

BrknFngrs
06-27-2010, 09:30 PM
I wouldn't recommend fox hollow for 9 holes. The front 9 layout has you basically playing into others on every hole so if you have shots go astray you'll be on other peoples fairways on a regular basis.

I would recommend courses outside of Calgary for a brand new player. Oxbow is close, cheap, really nice and a good open course with wide fairways for a beginner.

Alternatively, maybe consider making a weekend out of it and playing at Radium Resort. The fairways are wide, there are minimal traps and it's a beautiful course. I played there this weekend with two other people and it cost us a total of ~$360 for a loft at the resort for one night, three 18 hole green fees and 2 power carts for round. If you go this route, make sure you're playing the resort course and not links however.

Super_Geo
06-27-2010, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by chathamf
I'd say give Shaganappi a shot.

Yeah, go to Shaganappi.

Don't go to a nice semi-private course if it's your first time out, you'll be slow as hell, lose a bunch of balls and piss off everyone that's behind you.

JordanEG6
06-27-2010, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo

Yeah, go to Shaganappi.

Don't go to a nice semi-private course if it's your first time out, you'll be slow as hell, lose a bunch of balls and piss off everyone that's behind you.

:werd: Shag is a nice beginner course with a good 9-hole Par 5. If you wanna start off a little easier and warm up with a Par 3, RCGA, Heritage and McCall Lake have pretty good ones.

bjstare
06-27-2010, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo

Yeah, go to Shaganappi.

:werd:

If you go to a semi-private course, or a more difficult course (or both) you won't get a good feel for the sport; you'll be losing balls, getting ragged on by the marshal or other groups, and hitting houses or people. There's a chance it would leave a bad taste from your first day out, and we don't want that, do we?

Do yourselves a favor by hitting shag or one of those par 3's this time.

flipstah
06-28-2010, 12:36 AM
Sounds like everyone's recommending Shaganappi! Thanks!

I'll be off to the driving range to practice as I want to hit the ball with one swing. :rofl:

Cos
06-28-2010, 07:27 AM
Sounds like everyone's recommending Shaganappi! Thanks!

I'll be off to the driving range to practice as I want to hit the ball with one swing. :rofl:

bahaha maybe start with a pitch and put.... Im just kidding have fun and try not to get frustrated. That is the hardest part of golf.

911fever
06-28-2010, 08:25 AM
Shaganappi is good, lots of beginners when I went there in Calgary

supe
06-28-2010, 08:52 AM
I just did Lakeview with a few beginner friends and thats a nice course for beginners too.

Idratherbsidewayz
06-28-2010, 11:31 AM
Buffalo Run!!!!!

Native run course that lets you do whatever the fuck you want. Always a good time if you're mixing drinking and golf (and really, is there any other way to play?).

flipstah
06-28-2010, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Idratherbsidewayz
Buffalo Run!!!!!

Native run course that lets you do whatever the fuck you want. Always a good time if you're mixing drinking and golf (and really, is there any other way to play?).

We want to remember the day and not end up in the middle of the reserve yelling stereotypical jokes lol

sabad66
06-28-2010, 12:20 PM
If you've never golfed before, I would hit a par3 first... it will give you an idea of how things work. It only takes like an hour and a half at McCall, and it's nice and cheap at $14.

As for Shag, they have 27 holes there (Shag 18 and the Valley 9). The 18 is fairly short (I believe it's a par 67), but really nice... The front 9 is pretty cool with the newly reconfigured layout (the first hole has an "island" green), and the back 9 gives you an outstanding view of the city (bring a camera if you're into that). I'm not sure if you know, but at city courses, you'd have to pay for all 18 holes during the day (6AM-5:30PM), but you can do just the front 9 after 5:30PM (since you mentioned you only want to do 9). I wouldn't bother with the valley 9 since it's pretty boring.

flipstah
06-28-2010, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by sabad66
If you've never golfed before, I would hit a par3 first... it will give you an idea of how things work. It only takes like an hour and a half at McCall, and it's nice and cheap at $14.

$14 for an hour and a half? That's a fun-filled day for sure! I'll give that a shot for practice. Do we have to book a tee time or drop-ins are okay?

Originally posted by sabad66
As for Shag, they have 27 holes there (Shag 18 and the Valley 9). The 18 is fairly short (I believe it's a par 67), but really nice... The front 9 is pretty cool with the newly reconfigured layout (the first hole has an "island" green), and the back 9 gives you an outstanding view of the city (bring a camera if you're into that). I'm not sure if you know, but at city courses, you'd have to pay for all 18 holes during the day (6AM-5:30PM), but you can do just the front 9 after 5:30PM (since you mentioned you only want to do 9). I wouldn't bother with the valley 9 since it's pretty boring.

I know you spoke English, but I have no idea what the hell you're talking about haha.

By 'front/back 9', you mean the first/last set of 9 holes right? And if it's 18-holes, don't you have to finish the whole thing and can't stop/start at 9th hole? And since you said the front 9 can only be done after 5:30, does that mean the back 9 is free to use all day?

/n00b.

sabad66
06-28-2010, 12:38 PM

$14 for an hour and a half? That's a fun-filled day for sure! I'll give that a shot for practice. Do we have to book a tee time or drop-ins are okay?
I'd suggest having a tee time booked in advance, although you can walk on. If I were you, I'd just give them a ring early in the morning the day you are plannin on golfing to book something.. 403-974-1805. If you want to book in advance, hit up www.calgary.ca/golf for details.

I know you spoke English, but I have no idea what the hell you're talking about haha.

By 'front/back 9', you mean the first/last set of 9 holes right? And if it's 18-holes, don't you have to finish the whole thing and can't stop/start at 9th hole? And since you said the front 9 can only be done after 5:30, does that mean the back 9 is free to use all day?

/n00b.
Haha no worries... I was a complete n00b 2 yrs ago before I started working there. So yeah, front 9 is holes 1-9, back 9 is 10-18. At city courses, you always start on the front, unless you walk on during the first hour of the day (6AM-7), in which case you can do the back 9.

You can't start on the back any other times because there will be a continuous flow of people going on to the back 9 that started their 18 earlier in the day. People will continue their 18 on the back all day until about 7:30ish (the people who tee'd off at 5:30ish).

Cos
06-28-2010, 12:41 PM

/n00b.

:rofl: awesome.

The course starts at hole 1 at the clubhouse and hole 9's green is near the clubhouse (normally, there are a few exceptions I have played) then hole 10 is near the clubhouse again and hole 18's green is near the clubhouse.

You can start and finish 9 or keep playing 18. What he is saying is that they dont charge you a 9 or 18 rate, it is all one rate. If you play 18 you play 18, if you leave they dont care.

1 - 9 is referred to as the 'Front 9'
10 - 18 is the 'Back 9'

You can play the front 9 but pay for 18. AFTER 5:30 you can pay for 9 as there is no hope in hell that you can actually play 18 past 5:30. I think people just paid the 9 rate and kept going as it isnt really controlled.

flipstah
06-28-2010, 12:53 PM
As a n00b, is it best to conquer the whole 18 or baby-step it with 9 hole (in McCall as a practice for the weekend showdown in Shag)?

swak
06-28-2010, 12:57 PM
Harvest Hills.

.. Its said to be one of the toughest 9-holes in Western Canada or something like that.

Great and fairly cheap course!

Cos
06-28-2010, 12:59 PM
As a n00b, is it best to conquer the whole 18 or baby-step it with 9 hole (in McCall as a practice for the weekend showdown in Shag)?

Question.... have you EVER hit balls before? If so how many times? If not it isnt as easy as walk up and swing.

Then I can give you a better idea what to do.

in*10*se
06-28-2010, 01:37 PM
i'd say... go hit the fucking driving range... i hate you tards on any course that i'm on... 9 or 18 holes... learn the sport on the range... ugh...

supe
06-28-2010, 01:56 PM

Golf is supposed to be a gentlemans game, one of the main things is keeping up the pace of play.

GUARANTEED that if you and 3 other noobs go out and do 18 you're going to get heckled to the point you wont have fun any more.

So to start, hit the range as much as you can until you feel confident you can get the ball in the general direction you want it.

Then do some par 3's (mccall lake is great). Par 3's are great for your short game but you wont be able to pull out any woods, driver included. Or you can do some shorter 9 holes like shag valley which has some par 4's mixed in.

flipstah
06-28-2010, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Cos

Question.... have you EVER hit balls before? If so how many times? If not it isnt as easy as walk up and swing.

Then I can give you a better idea what to do.

I've been to the driving range a couple of times and me with a golf club is a hit-and-miss; sometimes I hit it, sometimes I don't.

I'll be going to the range to practice some more to get ready for the weekend.

I don't want to be a dick, but I have to try it some time!

Cos
06-28-2010, 02:12 PM

I've been to the driving range a couple of times and me with a golf club is a hit-and-miss; sometimes I hit it, sometimes I don't.

I'll be going to the range to practice some more to get ready for the weekend.

I don't want to be a dick, but I have to try it some time!

Personally I would say do a pitch and put. Richmond Greens (near Marda Loop) or McCall. If you HAVE to do a full course do Fox Hollow or the valley of Shag. You will have more fun if you dont feel stressed. Imagine having another group watch all 4 of you miss the ball on the t-box and then having them behind you the whole day. That would be no fun.

Edit: if you want try and play twilight (cheap after dinner) and let people play through. You guys can play as many holes as you can and it would be less stressful.

flipstah
06-28-2010, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Cos

Personally I would say do a pitch and put. Richmond Greens (near Marda Loop) or McCall. If you HAVE to do a full course do Fox Hollow or the valley of Shag. You will have more fun if you dont feel stressed. Imagine having another group watch all 4 of you miss the ball on the t-box and then having them behind you the whole day. That would be no fun.

Edit: if you want try and play twilight (cheap after dinner) and let people play through. You guys can play as many holes as you can and it would be less stressful.

What's a 'pitch and put'? Totally, we want to try the Shag 9 to see how it goes. It's Canada Day long weekend so don't think it'll be busy because people are on vacation.

... Right? :dunno:

Cos
06-28-2010, 02:18 PM

What's a 'pitch and put'? Totally, we want to try the Shag 9 to see how it goes. It's Canada Day long weekend so don't think it'll be busy because people are on vacation.

... Right? :dunno:

:rofl: Probably the other way around. I dont want you to NOT go, I just dont want you guys to get turned off if an 85 year old man is walking the course behind you having a hissy fit.

Sorry, pitch and put = Par 3. No drivers/Woods. Literally it is all short game and putting (hence pitch and put). It is actually quite fun.

Up to you guys. Maybe on Thursday/Friday try McCall FIRST and see if you think you could handle a full course. If you can go the next day and play Shag? :dunno:

flipstah
06-28-2010, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Cos

:rofl: Probably the other way around. I dont want you to NOT go, I just dont want you guys to get turned off if an 85 year old man is walking the course behind you having a hissy fit.

Sorry, pitch and put = Par 3. No drivers/Woods. Literally it is all short game and putting (hence pitch and put). It is actually quite fun.

Up to you guys. Maybe on Thursday/Friday try McCall FIRST and see if you think you could handle a full course. If you can go the next day and play Shag? :dunno:

Damn octogenarians! A friend of mine actually just told me that people golf BEFORE work?! WTF! :rofl:

So far, either driving range or 9-hole practice on Wednesday either at Fox Hollow driving range/McCall, then Shag 9-hole on Saturday!

I'm excited! lol

teknical
06-28-2010, 02:21 PM
RCGA also has a par 3 pitch and putt. :thumbsup:

It's on the corner of Glenmore and Deerfoot.

Cos
06-28-2010, 02:23 PM

Damn octogenarians! A friend of mine actually just told me that people golf BEFORE work?! WTF! :rofl:

So far, either driving range or 9-hole practice on Wednesday either at Fox Hollow driving range/McCall, then Shag 9-hole on Saturday!

I'm excited! lol

Haha, earliest I have teed off is 6:45. I think we were the 3rd group.

Fox hollow is probably HARDER than the Valley course at Shag.

flipstah
06-28-2010, 02:37 PM
My god, you have to book four days in advance for a tee time!?

I amz so un-learned. :banghead:

Cos
06-28-2010, 02:40 PM
My god, you have to book four days in advance for a tee time!?

I amz so un-learned. :banghead:

While I have your attention, you ever going to come and get your keychain. I think you are one of the people who I have still.

flipstah
06-28-2010, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Cos

While I have your attention, you ever going to come and get your keychain. I think you are one of the people who I have still.

I did... I have #34 haha!

I have to read up on golf etiquette today!

Cos
06-28-2010, 02:46 PM

I did... I have #34 haha!

I have to read up on golf etiquette today!

Sorry, I am waiting for 23-flipteck, not you. I am not good with names

flipstah
06-28-2010, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Cos

Sorry, I am waiting for 23-flipteck, not you. I am not good with names

All good!

Back on topic, right now I'm just borrowing a friend's set and planning to buy my own.

From what I've seen, I just need a driver, an iron/wood of some number, and a putter.

I think that should suffice.

Cos
06-28-2010, 02:57 PM

All good!

Back on topic, right now I'm just borrowing a friend's set and planning to buy my own.

From what I've seen, I just need a driver, an iron/wood of some number, and a putter.

I think that should suffice.

If you are playing a full course you will need most of a full set of clubs.

If you play a par 3 you only really need a 5, 7, 9, PW, and putter.

Minimum for a full course would be.

Driver
3/5 Wood
2/3/4 Iron
5 Iron
6/7/8 Iron
9 Iron
PW
Sand/56 deg
Putter

89coupe
06-28-2010, 02:58 PM
Valley Ridge allows you to play 9.

Its quite nice for a city course.

http://www.valleyridgegolf.com/

89coupe
06-28-2010, 03:00 PM
Elbow Springs is nice as well. Also allows you to play 9

www.elbowsprings.com

flipstah
06-28-2010, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe
Valley Ridge allows you to play 9.

Its quite nice for a city course.

http://www.valleyridgegolf.com/

http://www.valleyridgegolf.com/golf/public-golf

Holy crap, $55? And I thought $13.50 on City courses was expensive. :nut:

89coupe
06-28-2010, 03:02 PM
But seriously, the best bang for the buck is Kananaskis Golf course. Worth the 40min drive.

www.kananaskisgolf.com

flipstah
06-28-2010, 03:08 PM
Holy crap, 89c those are some nice courses! Too bad, I'm not Arnold Palmer right now. Soon. :)

I'm still a novice and won't be able to enjoy the sights and sounds of these majestic courses! :cry:

89coupe
06-28-2010, 03:10 PM
Holy crap, 89c those are some nice courses! Too bad, I'm not Arnold Palmer right now. Soon. :)

I'm still a novice and won't be able to enjoy the sights and sounds of these majestic courses! :cry:

You don't need to be a good golfer in order to enjoy the course.

flipstah
06-28-2010, 03:14 PM

You don't need to be a good golfer in order to enjoy the course.

True, but you have to be able to hit the ball haha.

teknical
06-28-2010, 03:16 PM
But seriously, the best bang for the buck is Kananaskis Golf course. Worth the 40min drive.

www.kananaskisgolf.com

This will be my 3rd weekend in a row golfing Kananaskis! But then I'm all out of tee times :(

89coupe
06-28-2010, 03:17 PM

True, but you have to be able to hit the ball haha.

Ahhh, well I suggest hitting a driving range first before hitting any golf courses.

Nothing golfers hate more then someone slowing up play.

atgilchrist
06-28-2010, 03:23 PM
Ya, the marshalls at nicer courses will tear you a new one before letting you slow down the pace of play.

As said by others, Driving range/lessons, and then a Piitch and Putt like McCall Lake are the best ways to learn.

And then play one of my favorite's in the area, Gleneagles.
http://www.gleneaglesgolf.com/

flipstah
06-28-2010, 03:26 PM
So many beautiful courses... Golf, how I've misjudged you. :drool:

Guess I can't bring a vuvuzela to the course...

Hi-Psi
06-28-2010, 03:56 PM
Do like everyone said and hit the range as much as you can. Then play an easier course.

I'd suggest Highland Gold Course just off Mcknight Blvd. It's easier, there aren't many tree and no water. It's the course I learned to play on about 12 years ago.

Other than that one I would suggest Richmond Green and then McCall Lake.

Don't play Harvest Hills yet, it's a harder course and not meant for beginners.

C_Dave45
06-28-2010, 07:50 PM
I go down to Okotoks and golf Crystal Ridge (http://www.crystalridgegolf.com/). It's a pretty tough course. If you're shooting from the blacks, there's water on every hole. Longest is a 515 par 5. Fairly cheap too at only $30 for weekends.
The restaurant up top is actually very swanky with a good chef.

frozenrice
06-28-2010, 08:22 PM
Buffalo Run really isn't that bad of a course for a beginner. It's not the greatest, but if you're just getting started out, who cares what the course is like. At this point, you're just learning to play. Concentrate on that for the first bit before worrying about enjoying the course. If you can't play worth shit, you'll be too frustrated to enjoy anything anyways. I'm' surprised nobody has mentioned Confederation Park. It's a great 9 hole city course.

Cos
06-28-2010, 08:41 PM

Ahhh, well I suggest hitting a driving range first before hitting any golf courses.

Nothing golfers hate more then someone slowing up play.

We covered this all this morning

Originally posted by Hi-Psi
Do like everyone said and hit the range as much as you can. Then play an easier course.

I'd suggest Highland Gold Course just off Mcknight Blvd. It's easier, there aren't many tree and no water. It's the course I learned to play on about 12 years ago.

Other than that one I would suggest Richmond Green and then McCall Lake.

Don't play Harvest Hills yet, it's a harder course and not meant for beginners.

Damn, I forgot about Highland. I used to play there all the time. Not a bad course at all. We took our grade 12 gym class there back in the day.

Anton
06-28-2010, 10:01 PM
How come a couple of you are suggesting Richmond Green? I thought it was opening up again next year but closed this year.

In regards to booking 4 days in advance for city courses, you can only do that with a gold customer card for which you have to apply for online. Otherwise, you have to use the absolutely brutal phone system 2 days in advance so you'll be pretty hard pressed getting a good tee time at Shag this weekend.

I golf lots with a range of players and when I golf with my less experienced buddies I really like Crystal Ridge as C_Dave suggested. The marshals there seem to be more relaxed towards novice golfers. That's if you want to try a proper course, however, I would recommend you guys do a par 3 course to start with.

Have fun!

flipstah
06-28-2010, 10:06 PM
I went to the driving range today and some people have HUGE drivers with a lot of coverage.

Is this some sort of beginner driver or just a different kind of driver? Mine was tiny.

supe
06-28-2010, 10:21 PM
I went to the driving range today and some people have HUGE drivers with a lot of coverage.

Is this some sort of beginner driver or just a different kind of driver? Mine was tiny.

Generally speaking drivers have been getting bigger over the years until they capped it recently at 460cc.

Bigger doesnt necessarily mean better, but it sure as hell looks better.

flipstah
06-28-2010, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by supe

Generally speaking drivers have been getting bigger over the years until they capped it recently at 460cc.

Bigger doesnt necessarily mean better, but it sure as hell looks better.

Oh, okay! People were getting farther distances with less effort. I tried the same method and it went straight!

Guess more time at the driving range for me. :thumbsup:

Cos
06-28-2010, 10:45 PM
anyone will tell you, accuracy first, distance second. If you are hitting straight that is great.

flipstah
06-28-2010, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Cos
anyone will tell you, accuracy first, distance second. If you are hitting straight that is great.

For accuracy, I motivated me and my buddy by setting a little wager; first person who hits the golf cart guy buys the other one lunch.

After many swings, I hit that caged orange tractor! Greatest moment of my life lol. :)

100 yards in a driver. Is that good? :confused:

frozenrice
06-28-2010, 10:57 PM

Big drivers are like penis extensions..... the bigger - the more you're compensating for. Just like trucks and telephoto lenses...... ;)

flipstah
06-28-2010, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by frozenrice

Big drivers are like penis extensions..... the bigger - the more you're compensating for. Just like trucks and telephoto lenses...... ;)

Bhahaha I see! :D

vengie
06-28-2010, 11:42 PM

100 yards in a driver. Is that good? :confused:

If your driver is in fact a pitching wedge :nut:

ahah, just playing, keep at it man. Like above mentioned work on accuracy before distance.

adidas
06-28-2010, 11:53 PM
Do golf courses rent clubs? How about at driving ranges?

Idratherbsidewayz
06-29-2010, 08:47 AM
Played the Links of Buffalo Run last night. So pristine...

core_upt
06-29-2010, 08:52 AM
Flipstah.... BABY STEPS! You're pumped about this golf thing, I get it, I was too (and still am).

I can say this - as far as 'sports' go, golf will be one of the hardest ones to pick up. As you said about 'sometimes I hit it, sometimes I don't' - when you are playing on a course, and there is a group behind you waiting, this doesn't fly. People are paying as much as you to be there and shouldnt' have to wait at every hole for you to learn to play.

That being said, I don't want to discourage you from going. We all had to start somewhere. I would suggest for your first 'course' to play Lakeview (http://content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+Hall/Business+Units/Recreation/Locate+by+Facility/Golf+Courses/Golf+Course+Locations/Lakeview/Lakeview.htm). It is short and meant to be played by those just learning the sport. There is minimal water and no sand. The longest hole is under 300 yards. McCall lake is similar, but with more water.

Lastly, when you do go out, play with someone that knows that game, at least enough to understand when to pick up and move on and to say what you can and cannot do (ie using tees on a fairway, irons on the green, carts on the green/tee box). There is a huge etiquette side to golf which applies to a $13 city course all the way to the most exclusive clubs.

Don't worry about playing Kananaskis, or Vally Ridge, or Harvest, or hell, even 18 holes anywhere just yet. Stick with the range and the Par 3 courses for the first few rounds.

flipstah
06-29-2010, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by core_upt
Flipstah.... BABY STEPS! You're pumped about this golf thing, I get it, I was too (and still am).

I can say this - as far as 'sports' go, golf will be one of the hardest ones to pick up. As you said about 'sometimes I hit it, sometimes I don't' - when you are playing on a course, and there is a group behind you waiting, this doesn't fly. People are paying as much as you to be there and shouldnt' have to wait at every hole for you to learn to play.

That being said, I don't want to discourage you from going. We all had to start somewhere. I would suggest for your first 'course' to play Lakeview (http://content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+Hall/Business+Units/Recreation/Locate+by+Facility/Golf+Courses/Golf+Course+Locations/Lakeview/Lakeview.htm). It is short and meant to be played by those just learning the sport. There is minimal water and no sand. The longest hole is under 300 yards. McCall lake is similar, but with more water.

Lastly, when you do go out, play with someone that knows that game, at least enough to understand when to pick up and move on and to say what you can and cannot do (ie using tees on a fairway, irons on the green, carts on the green/tee box). There is a huge etiquette side to golf which applies to a $13 city course all the way to the most exclusive clubs.

Don't worry about playing Kananaskis, or Vally Ridge, or Harvest, or hell, even 18 holes anywhere just yet. Stick with the range and the Par 3 courses for the first few rounds.

Lakeview seems to be the n00b course and I'll try it out with my buddy tomorrow!

When is the best way to go so that others are not disrupted?

Orbie
06-29-2010, 10:12 AM

Lakeview seems to be the n00b course and I'll try it out with my buddy tomorrow!

When is the best way to go so that others are not disrupted?

I know where you're coming form flipstah, it's just like getting a new job when you're fresh out of school, you can't get a job if you have no experience, but you can't get experience if you can't get a job. You just have to take your time and practice on the range as much as you can. When you play golf in real life, it's not a big joke like you see on some TV shows and movies, you're not drinking your face off driving your cart into the water and bushes and generally making a huge amount of noise. That's the quickest way to get banned from a course. It will be intimidating your first time out, generally if you're a beginner, be prepared to have the groups behind you watching you and getting annoyed as well as the Marshall watching you and telling you to speed up as well. People can get really flustered with that pressure and it doesn't translate to playing better if you're a beginner. In general there is no better time or way to go to avoid disrupting others, there will always be golfers on the course, the only way to be certain is to improve your game.

Don't let your ego get in the way of learning the game properly, there's nothing wrong with just doing the driving range and hitting the par 3's until you can hit the ball reliably everytime with the short irons. These courses require pretty much a Pitching Wedge, Sand Wedge and Putter. Then start to worry about the longer clubs like the 5 and 6 irons, hybrids, fairway woods and the driver. Then you can start to move onto the 9 hole courses with par 3's, 4's and 5's. like Shag. You'll feel much more comfortable and have more fun when the time comes. Most people I know who quit golf try to advance too quickly and get too fustrated when they don't play well out of the gate.

To give you a quick idea of how ready you are for a 9 or 18 hole course with par 5's in the 500 yard range (eg. Fox Hollow, Confederation). It generally takes a skilled player 5 strokes to complete the hole. You shoot 100 yards with a driver the longest club in the bag, it will take you 4-5 shots to even near the green (provided you don't lose the ball or hit any hazards ie. water, sand traps), then you'll likely have to chip on and maybe 2-3 shots to put in. If all 4 of you guys play like that it will be a very long day. Once you can start connecting well with the ball your distance will start to improve. I found this on the internet, but it's a good general guide for you as an average amateur player:

Driver - 200-260
3W - 180-235
5W - 170-210
2I - 170-210
3I - 160-200
4I - 150-185
5I - 140-170
6I - 130-160
7I - 120-150
8I - 110-140
9I - 95-130
PW - 80-120
SW - 60-100

These are just average numbers, once you get better you may find you'll be much farther then these numbers. I find a 300 yard drive is not uncommon for amateurs. My PW goes 150 yards now.

Anyways take your time and you'll be doing well in no time.

EDIT: oh as far as etiquette goes, one big thing is to never drive a power cart or put your pull cart on the green. Generally avoid placing your bag on the green as well.

flipstah
06-29-2010, 03:32 PM
Today is such a great day!

I traded in some clubs today at Play It Again Country Hills and bought a mix of clubs for 50c to 1dollar per club!

I bought an almost full set, a bag, bag wheelie, balls, tees for 3buck difference!

got_mike33
06-30-2010, 01:58 PM

So glad someone finally mentioned Lakeview. This is probably one of the best beginner courses in the city. From my experience the Marshalls there are usually super understanding and slow play, while not encouraged, seems to happen. Plus you won't find any pretentious golfers there, and more ammateurs, you will definitely have more fun than going somewhere semi-private or even public like Shag.

Also why not look into lessons? Most courses have and CPGA professional on hand to help you out. You'd be surprised at what a couple weeks worth of lessons will do for your game. They are generally pretty reasonably priced, and if you have a few buddies they can do group lessons as well and you'll save some money.

flipstah
06-30-2010, 02:17 PM
Core-upt and mike, thanks for the advice! On Saturday, we're booked for a tee time at Lakeview. Once again, ill be at the driving range to practice and will be considering lessons too.

Let's see where this takes me!

Just went to the range again, but this time with my newly-acquired set of clubs(!):

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/IMG_1280.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/IMG_1281.jpg

I love the feeling of wood. >_>

Originally posted by got_mike33

So glad someone finally mentioned Lakeview. This is probably one of the best beginner courses in the city. From my experience the Marshalls there are usually super understanding and slow play, while not encouraged, seems to happen. Plus you won't find any pretentious golfers there, and more ammateurs, you will definitely have more fun than going somewhere semi-private or even public like Shag.

Also why not look into lessons? Most courses have and CPGA professional on hand to help you out. You'd be surprised at what a couple weeks worth of lessons will do for your game. They are generally pretty reasonably priced, and if you have a few buddies they can do group lessons as well and you'll save some money.

flipstah
06-30-2010, 04:40 PM
Sorry for the double-post, but does anyone know what kind of wood this is:

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/IMG_1273.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/IMG_1275.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/IMG_1276.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/IMG_1277.jpg

Cos
06-30-2010, 04:42 PM
Lol why 3 5 woods?
2- drivers? Haha

flipstah
06-30-2010, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Cos
Lol why 3 5 woods?
2- drivers? Haha

Lol, what's wrong with 3/5 woods?! They were a buck each! :rofl:

And two drivers because they had different lengths and wasn't sure which one would be better for me. It's actually the less obtuse looking one. Still 100-something yards though. :(

... Did I mention they were a buck each? :thumbsup:

Cos
06-30-2010, 04:48 PM
Oh okay, I thought you were taking them all out with you. Haha.

That other one could be a really old driver

flipstah
06-30-2010, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Cos
Oh okay, I thought you were taking them all out with you. Haha.

That other one could be a really old driver

Haha well I brought all of them to the driving range today to get a feel of things and to figure out how all of them worked.

The wood driver had a wedge-thing going on which was odd for me to see. Hence I bought it!

Cos
06-30-2010, 04:53 PM
If it is more inclined could be an old 7 wood

CaptainReboot
07-01-2010, 01:07 PM
When I saw starting off, I used to book the last tee time of the day so we could take our time and now worry about the anybody behind us.

That allowed us to take our time and just relax and learn the game without being stressed.

The best 9 hole I think is Shag Valley 9. McCall 9 is fun as well, but you won't get to use all your clubs.

flipstah
07-01-2010, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by CaptainReboot
When I saw starting off, I used to book the last tee time of the day so we could take our time and now worry about the anybody behind us.

That allowed us to take our time and just relax and learn the game without being stressed.

The best 9 hole I think is Shag Valley 9. McCall 9 is fun as well, but you won't get to use all your clubs.

When is the usual final tee time? We're booked in Lakeview for Saturday afternoon so novice course should be nice. :)

core_upt
07-02-2010, 08:46 AM
ummmm, is your putter left handed?

flipstah
07-02-2010, 08:49 AM
ummmm, is your putter left handed?

FUUUUU-

FML. :banghead: Guess I have to get another one.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_I2uQkGxIykM/S1b0VMkIOeI/AAAAAAAAInY/5Mwe3lEJIy0/s400/derp-derp-derp+woosk.jpg

CaptainReboot
07-03-2010, 05:55 PM
I think I just called the courses and asked when the last tee time was and just booked that time for future rounds.

You should definately think about lessons. I did a package of private lessons with a group of 5 other friends and it was pretty cheap as the price went down the more people you had in your group.

flipstah
07-04-2010, 02:38 PM
Did the 9-hole Lakeview course yesterday! Had a rough start on 1 as the marshal told us to pick up the pace as we were holding up the line. We opted to skip the first hole even though the marshal said we could putt it in.

We were okay with skipping the first hole as we understand the frustration of waiting; the group in front of us was a family who took their time too.

The marshal thought that this was so nice that he offered us an impromptu lesson! w00t! Nice guy.

Overall, I did par on the 9th hole but >+4 in every other hole bhahaha.

We had so much fun despite us being n00bs! Just need more driving range exposure!

I also found out my putter has a dent and makes me hook hard. :banghead:

Anywhos, it's time for "Make fun of a n00b's swing!":

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n205/dj_flipster/36016_10150233212160313_529990312_1.jpg

My left arm is bent and my head is crooked, things I'm working really hard to beat.

Is there anything else I need to work on?

Street_Soldier
07-04-2010, 02:53 PM
keep ur left foot down, make sure its stable cause thats where all your weight is going to go on the follow through

B18C
07-04-2010, 03:08 PM
Try not to rock back on your right foot on your back swing. Keep your weight on the inside part of your right foot on your back swing instead.

flipstah
07-04-2010, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Street_Soldier
keep ur left foot down, make sure its stable cause thats where all your weight is going to go on the follow through

Originally posted by B18C
Try not to rock back on your right foot on your back swing. Keep your weight on the inside part of your right foot on your back swing instead.

Thanks everyone! Other than that, is there anything else that I should put to my attention?

CaptainReboot
07-04-2010, 05:30 PM
front arm should be straight on the backswing.

sl888
07-05-2010, 01:43 PM
Youtube Tiger Woods' swing portrait. There's 2 views

Idratherbsidewayz
07-05-2010, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by CaptainReboot
front arm should be straight on the backswing.

This revolutionized my swing a couple of weeks ago. Makes it so much more consistent.

flipstah
07-05-2010, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Idratherbsidewayz

This revolutionized my swing a couple of weeks ago. Makes it so much more consistent.

How did you beat this? It's actually easier said than done. :banghead:

atgilchrist
07-05-2010, 02:31 PM
Picture the club head being on a giant circle that goes over you, and try and keep the head on that circle through your backswing. If you keep your left arm straight, the club will stay on the circle, but if you bend the forward arm, the head will skip some of the arc. If you focus on the backswing rotation being as smooth as possible, it should help you keep that arm staright, and your whole swing much more fluid.

Helped me anyways, when I was learning.

Good on ya for getting out there!

Idratherbsidewayz
07-05-2010, 02:31 PM

By "so much more consistent", I mean that I'm actually hitting the ball almost every time a half decent distance. Accuracy still needs to be worked on.

I concentrate really hard on a point on the ball (a letter or something), and try to shut the world out. As I'm right handed, I keep my left arm in a fixed position throughout the swing. This ensures that the club hits in the same spot that I positioned it before my swing.

Just keep working on it, it's been helping me. I am not remotely average yet though, so much work ahead.

CaptainReboot
07-09-2010, 11:14 PM
There are two checkpoints to watch out for in your back swing.

The first point is when you just start the swing, your club needs to be completely level, pointed directly behind where you want to hit the ball. Your left arm will be approx. 30 degrees off center. The 2nd checkpoint is when the club is behind your head. Your front arm still needs to be straight, right arm is bent about 45 degrees. Shoulders will be twisted slightly. Then reverse the checkpoints on the way through. Practice this slowly without hitting the ball. This should help you make that circle with your club head.

Front foot always stays planted, and the back foot should only move after you have already hit the ball. Do not try to look up until after you have completed the swing, not when you make contact with the ball. This will lift you up and you'll most likely top it.

In terms of grip, I'm right handed, so my left hand is on top of my right. The bottom of my thumb and index finger make a V and it points over my right shoulder, so my left hand is twisted a bit. Not sure if that make sense.

Good luck!

Cos
07-10-2010, 06:58 PM

haha it is called practice. Now you see why golf is fun and hard. Trying to change a really simple human movement seems damned near impossible.

Depending on how much you golf it could be a year or two until you feel comfortable. Just keep at it and remind yourself every once and a while of what you do wrong and try to not do it.

flipstah
07-11-2010, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Cos

haha it is called practice. Now you see why golf is fun and hard. Trying to change a really simple human movement seems damned near impossible.

Depending on how much you golf it could be a year or two until you feel comfortable. Just keep at it and remind yourself every once and a while of what you do wrong and try to not do it.

LOL so ridiculous how right the comments are in this thread. :rofl:

I've tweaked my swing and I can do 135 yards with a driver! w00t! Slowly but surely, I'm getting there!

Now since I'm a beginner, would a bigger faced driver be more forgiving with my n00b swing or should I just keep tweaking until I get 200 yards?

Oh yeah, 3 and 4 irons suck; going to a hybrid lol.