PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading

derpderp
06-27-2010, 09:03 PM
I didn't take school as seriously as I should, as so my overall grade scores are low.

If I did High School upgrading does it really matter where I do it? Do schools require you to take their courses or is any proof of higher marks from adult education courses sufficient? What are the rules regarding this?

vengie
06-27-2010, 09:11 PM
You're better off upgrading somewhere that follows the alberta wide curriculum, that way it ends up on your transcripts. If you upgrade through a post secondary school you will only be able to apply those marks to THAT school.

Gurpy
06-27-2010, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by vengie
You're better off upgrading somewhere that follows the alberta wide curriculum, that way it ends up on your transcripts. If you upgrade through a post secondary school you will only be able to apply those marks to THAT school.

Or any school in Alberta, so if you do upgrade through a post secondary institution you should be sure that you're staying in AB.

Cos
06-27-2010, 09:18 PM
Go to chinook college, you can use it to get into any school as it shows as highschool marks.

vengie
06-27-2010, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Gurpy

Or any school in Alberta, so if you do upgrade through a post secondary institution you should be sure that you're staying in AB.

From what I was told from both Mt. Royal and SAIT, the marks would only count towards admission to one of their own programs, nothing more.

Like above mentioned Chinook College is your best bet.

Gurpy
06-27-2010, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by vengie

From what I was told from both Mt. Royal and SAIT, the marks would only count towards admission to one of their own programs, nothing more.

Like above mentioned Chinook College is your best bet.

Called the UofC a couple weeks ago to ask about this and they said taking courses through SAIT would work:

http://www.advancededucation.gov.ab.ca/planning/choosing/upgrading/post-secondary.aspx

I could still be wrong, I hope not though as I'm taking chem through sait for admission to the uofc hahaha.

Edit:

Pretty confident on this though, quote from a PDF located in the link above:

These courses reflect the common policies of the degree-granting institutions in recognizing courses taken in 2009-2010 at these sending institutions that are acceptable for admission purposes in lieu of Alberta 30-level courses. ONLY COURSES THAT ARE ACCEPTED IN COMMON BY ALL DEGREE-GRANTING INSTITUTIONS ARE INCLUDED. These institutions are: Ambrose University College, Canadian University College, Concordia University College of Alberta, DeVry Institute of Technology - Calgary, Grant MacEwan College, The King’s University College, St. Mary’s University College, University of Alberta, University of Calgary and University of Lethbridge. Athabasca University has an open admissions policy which does not require high school prerequisites.

derpderp
06-27-2010, 09:28 PM
Awesome, thank you very much :)

derpderp
07-12-2010, 01:41 AM
I'm stuck on something here. Most Universities want a understanding of a second language, but Chinook only offers Spanish, I would much rather do French Canadian or for family reasons German.

Is there any other places I can take second language courses that fit the proper Alberta curriculum? Would a University wave the requirement of a 30 level second language course if you show you have a understanding of a second language?

BrknFngrs
07-12-2010, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by derpderp
I'm stuck on something here. Most Universities want a understanding of a second language, but Chinook only offers Spanish, I would much rather do French Canadian or for family reasons German.

Is there any other places I can take second language courses that fit the proper Alberta curriculum? Would a University wave the requirement of a 30 level second language course if you show you have a understanding of a second language?

What university/program requires you to know a second language?

derpderp
07-12-2010, 09:11 AM
Ok maybe it isn't most places, but the U of A Humanities requires a second language. I found a place that offers HS credits for German courses, don't know if adults can do it though.

Cos
07-12-2010, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by derpderp
Ok maybe it isn't most places, but the U of A Humanities requires a second language. I found a place that offers HS credits for German courses, don't know if adults can do it though.

I had to take a second language in High School. You may just need that 1 credit if you didnt do it in high school? :dunno: