PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a home inspector

D'z Nutz
06-28-2010, 07:00 PM
As the title says. Anyone deal with any home inspectors that you were particularly impressed with and could recommend? My sister's moving into a new house in a few months and is on the market for one. I'm also moving into a new condo around the same time so it might be a good idea for me too.

Thanks!

kamakurakid
06-28-2010, 07:06 PM
I would get a couple, my aunt had a home inspection done, very complete and high priced, or so she thought. A month after buying the house the furnace was toast, something about a cracked piece in the thing. Long story short, the home inspector refunded her the inspection fee as this was the extent of his involvement as written in onion juice within the contract.

She is out a few grand and the home inspector is doing it all over to others daily. Buyer beware.

I think Mike Holmes has inspectors he endorses, could do worse. Check his website.

corsvette
06-28-2010, 07:09 PM
We found a guy from Kijiji,did a great job,he calls himself "Mcgill home inspection services" Should still have a kijiji ad out there.

anothers10
06-28-2010, 07:30 PM
Barmanjay will recommend a guy, use him. I have met alot of home inspectors and his guy is great. He is the guy Holmes uses in Alberta.

D'z Nutz
06-28-2010, 07:41 PM
Actually we came across the Mike Holmes inspection website but wasn't sure what to think about it. I thought it was a marketing gimmick! Haha

barmanjay
06-28-2010, 09:47 PM
Dan Merril

Accuhome inspections

403-313-9506
403-978-9506

this guy is worth every penny!!

I stand by this guy 100%

Sugarphreak
06-28-2010, 10:20 PM

eblend
07-08-2010, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by barmanjay
Dan Merril

Accuhome inspections

403-313-9506
403-978-9506

this guy is worth every penny!!

I stand by this guy 100%

This guy is who both I and my friend used (since Jay helped both of us buy our houses). He is awesome, has this thermal camera that he uses to find hot/cold spots all over the house.

Here is the guys website, http://www.calgaryhomeinspector.biz/

Here is a view of his thermal imaging, very neat, and he checks every corner of the house with it.

http://www.calgaryhomeinspector.biz/system/files/userfiles/What_you_see__what_we_see.jpg

project240
07-08-2010, 08:08 AM
Do you mind posting or pm'ing the sq ft and price he charged? We will be looking for one in the near future.

barmanjay
07-08-2010, 11:28 AM
Just give him a call

project240
07-08-2010, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by barmanjay
Just give him a call

Yeah, just did.

For others interested, he quoted $540 for a 2400sq ft house newer than 1950.

carson blocks
06-28-2012, 05:31 PM
I know this is a two year old thread, but I just used the advice in this thread to choose an inspector and wanted to thank you for the recommendation, barmanjay.

I just hired Dan Merrill from Accuhome to inspect a home I'm buying in Airdrie and he was super thorough, friendly, and had a ton of good advice on how to properly fix the few small things he found in the home. The thermal imaging was awesome, and gives me a lot of confidence in the parts of the home that I can't see. Dan was very patient in allowing me to follow him around during the inspection and ask a ton of questions, and I now feel I know the home fairly well.

After seeing the difference between the cheap inspector my parents hired and the work Dan did for me today, I have to say this was worth every penny.

JordanLotoski
06-28-2012, 11:42 PM
I use Tate @ amerispec for all my clients..403-921-0422

He's capi certified, charges 450 or so

project240
06-29-2012, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by carson blocks
I know this is a two year old thread, but I just used the advice in this thread to choose an inspector and wanted to thank you for the recommendation, barmanjay.

I just hired Dan Merrill from Accuhome to inspect a home I'm buying in Airdrie and he was super thorough, friendly, and had a ton of good advice on how to properly fix the few small things he found in the home. The thermal imaging was awesome, and gives me a lot of confidence in the parts of the home that I can't see. Dan was very patient in allowing me to follow him around during the inspection and ask a ton of questions, and I now feel I know the home fairly well.

After seeing the difference between the cheap inspector my parents hired and the work Dan did for me today, I have to say this was worth every penny.

We also used Dan a few years ago and were happy with everything. I agree on the thermal imaging... it allowed us to take care of a few small air leaks and beef up the insulation in a couple spots as needed.

toastgremlin
06-29-2012, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by kamakurakid
I think Mike Holmes has inspectors he endorses, could do worse. Check his website. They cost a shitload (over $900 with the thermal imaging). The inspector I used is in business for himself as well, same quality of inspection, but charges an extra few hundred when he works as a "Holmes" inspector so he can pass it up the chain.

He got the general outline of stuff that was wrong right, but missed out on specific details that would have been helpful to know going in. The inspection was pretty good regardless and quite thorough.