PDA

View Full Version : Applying for job while at current employer

sCream
06-28-2010, 11:45 PM
I recently saw a job posting that I was very interested in (through Robert Half), and I was planning on sending in a CV/resume for it this week. However, today when I walked into the controller's office (my boss), I saw a business card of the contact from Robert Half that I would be sending my resume to.

Now, I don't want my current employer to know that I'm actively looking for a new job. Do you guys see this as potential for disaster? Or should I still apply, and let the guy know to keep it quiet and trust him?

vengie
06-28-2010, 11:50 PM
Maybe your boss is also actively seeking a new employer as well? :dunno:

FiveFreshFish
06-28-2010, 11:52 PM
Tell your boss only after you've received a written offer, and give appropriate notice of your departure.

sCream
06-29-2010, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
Tell your boss only after you've received a written offer, and give appropriate notice of your departure.

I know not to tell my boss. I'm just wondering if I should be worried about my boss finding out about this.

dj_rice
06-29-2010, 07:25 AM
Just don't print out your resume/application using the company printer

topmade
06-29-2010, 07:26 AM
Robert Half or any agency to that matter is not allowed to disclose this type of information. But who's to say your boss isn't bar friends with this Robert Half person and this comes out during a conversation that you are applying somewhere else.

IMO you should be good, but it is a bit of a gamble.

davidI
06-29-2010, 07:27 AM
We can't give you the answer to that on here. Every situation would be unique.

Your boss may want you to do the best thing for you. He may also be looking for an excuse to get rid of you.

Your boss may be best friends with the recruiter and he may have talked to him for a minute at a function and picked up his card.

I'd say that if you're unhappy in your current position and are interested in the other job, you just go for it. Just don't be using your boss as a reference until you let him know you've applied elsewhere :rofl:

voodoomusic
06-29-2010, 07:43 AM
Any executive will have hundreds of business cards in a rolodex, binder, drawer, and/or sitting around collecting dust. I've got about 300 in my desk here that I've acquired over the past year since I started this job. The vast majority of them I met once for 5 minutes at a conference or networking function, and wouldn't recognize them if I ran into them again.

The fact that it was sitting on his desk suggests that they are far from best friends; if he knew the guy well he would have his coordinates in his phone or computer already and thus wouldn't likely need to have the card out. The conference/networking function explanation above is far more probable. It's also quite possible that your company is looking at doing some recruitment through Robert Half, or already does.

I would go for it and not worry at all. Maintaining confidentiality is a pretty big part of a recruiter's job and it's understood that everything you submit to them is done in confidence. I don't see this being a problem at all.

derran.m
06-29-2010, 08:05 AM
IMHO You gotta be honest with your current employer ... I am actively seeking employment now, and my current employer is more than aware that once the opportunity pops she will receive my notice. Makes life easier to avoid situations like OP, and helps your cause should anyone want to contact your current employer.

davidI
06-29-2010, 08:20 AM
^ Unless you don't receive an offer and the current employer takes the opportunity to put you on unemployment.

I'd rather line something up first. I'd just try to give my current employer lots of notice once I had secured something, to enable them to make a smooth transition and not burn any bridges on my way out.

derran.m
06-29-2010, 09:33 AM
^ point taken ... my cause is kinda helped by being employed by a long time family friend ... but regardless, if you're in a good position with the current employer then you should be able to be open and honest about it ... if not in a good postion to be able to take that leap out there i can see the hesitation ... it was my fear before i advised my boss i was looking ...

freshprince1
06-29-2010, 09:36 AM
All recruiting agencies know how to handle this situation. Make sure to point out in your resume and cover letter that you are currently employed and they will make sure not to spill the beans.

Do not, and I mean DO NOT tell your current employer that you are sending out your resume for another job position as someone above mentioned. The employer could all of a sudden find someone to replace you... and you might not land the new job...then you'd be screwed.

Play it safe and ask that the recruiting agency not disclose to your current employer that you are applying for another job. You have every right to explore new options, but make sure not to comprimise your current position until you have secured the new job.

If you do secure the new job, make sure to tell your new employer that you will provide appropriate notice to your current employer and offer your help to make the process a smooth transition.

I did this exact things a few years ago. I found a new job that I wanted, and got it. I gave the previous employer three weeks notice, made sure all files were up to date and even came back one afternoon after they had hired a replacement to help show him how things were done. In the end I had a great new job and didn't burn any bridges at the previous job.

Good Luck.

Sorry for the walls of text.

nickyh
06-29-2010, 12:16 PM
I worked for a company that used Robert Half "RH" (in fact the same recruiter that I sent my resume to), and RH called me to go over my resume, I had to sign something that stated I had approached RH - not the other way around.

They are basically bound by confidentiality to not disclose to the current employer that you are seeking a job - but they do ask for job references, so make sure if you use someone where you work - you trust that person / people won't let it out.

So I went on the employer interviews and I landed the job I wanted, RH simply asked me that if I was asked how I found the job I should say direct through the company. Either I saw the ad in the paper or online, or wherever... just not that they did the leg work.

That was fine, I hope to use them again, and I would not want to burn any bridges with recruiters.

Cos
06-29-2010, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by nickyh

So I went on the employer interviews and I landed the job I wanted, RH simply asked me that if I was asked how I found the job I should say direct through the company. Either I saw the ad in the paper or online, or wherever... just not that they did the leg work.

That was fine, I hope to use them again, and I would not want to burn any bridges with recruiters.

so arent you in breach of that now?

aram1000
06-29-2010, 12:58 PM
you have nothing to worry about, people always look for jobs while employed. At the end of the day, look out for yourself, your employer won't. Its business, people come and go, most are understanding. That being said, don't announce to the world, however, if you receive and offer or after an interview you are told your references will be contacted, then if your manager is a reference give them a heads up. Other then that, just use some common sense, and you'll be all good, who knows, if your current employer knows your looking, may work in your favor.

nickyh
06-29-2010, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Cos

so arent you in breach of that now?

Please explain how?

Cos
06-29-2010, 02:55 PM

Please explain how?

You said:

But you told us that THEY did the leg work and you in fact did NOT find the job through the company. Therefore you are telling all of us what you were asked not to reveal. Also I assume your user name is short for your name Nicky H so if someone had any knowledge of your prior job or your present job it may not be hard to put 2 and 2 together.

nickyh
06-29-2010, 03:40 PM
Meh, many variables involved here..... how long ago this happened, need to know my past work history, where i am today.....

I doubt if anyone cares about 10 years ago, especially when past employer company is no longer around.

Cos
06-29-2010, 03:44 PM
Meh, many variables involved here..... how long ago this happened, need to know my past work history, where i am today.....

I doubt if anyone cares about 10 years ago, especially when past employer company is no longer around.

You are right, was just curious as you could get yourself into shit.