PDA

View Full Version : All inclusive resorts in Mexico?!

96integra
06-30-2010, 12:20 AM
Looking to go with about 10 friends (19-25yrs old) at the end of August. Is this a good time? We are looking to go to Los Cabos and stay at one of the 5 star resorts (looking at Barcelo Los Cabos).
Anyone have experience with this resort or any other resorts in this area or Mexico in general? And does anyone know where to go to party at night in Cabo?

We havent finalized anything so input as to where to go to party for a week would be great. Cancun is an option and maybe even somewhere in Dominican Republic.
Budget is around $1000 give or take a couple hundred. I am booking from itravel2000. Anyone know any better sites?

Main goal is to have fun for the week and not get bored. Also would love to snorkel, deep sea fish and scuba dive but most of the beaches are un-swimmable. Suggestions?

Please share your experience at all inclusive resorts and what I should look for/avoid.

EDIT: Since many of you guys suggest Cancun over Cabo, and that it sucks you cant go in the ocean in Cabo, we are switching over to CANCUN!!!

Jeremiah
06-30-2010, 02:06 AM
Oasis Cancun for partying. (4*)

There are a ton of nice resorts in Riviera Maya too

Los Cabos has very strong undertow and you probably won't be able to go in the water. Having said that though the Barcelo is an excellent resort.

When are you travelling?

Kobe
06-30-2010, 05:03 AM
Oasis Cancun is def the party hotel in Cancun Mexico and it's cheap..

Not the best food around, but if you plan on going to party with a younger crowd I'd recommand Oasis aswell

brownchild
06-30-2010, 08:40 AM
Cancun. For partying hands down.

supe
06-30-2010, 08:49 AM
Just be careful with Oasis cancun as there are a number of resorts under the Oasis name.

We stayed at Oasis palm beach which is just ok at best. We walked into two of the other oasis resorts and visually they looked much better.

96integra
06-30-2010, 01:29 PM
Again, were going the last week of August and it sucks that you cant swim in the ocean in Los Cabos because of the undertow. Are there still places to snorkel, etc in Cabo?

From what I read, Oasis Cancun is definately the party resort but the reviews have tons of complaints about everything else. Not sure which I would prefer...good food and clean hotels or crazy parties.

Most of us are wanting to go to Cabo but Cancun is looking promising.

Another question...you have to be 21 to get a bracelet for alcohol correct? Is it possible to still get one if youre over 18, under 21?

Jeremiah
06-30-2010, 02:47 PM
You only need to be 18 to drink in Mexico

dannie
06-30-2010, 02:56 PM
We stayed at the Riu in Cabo and yes, you cannot swim in the ocean. For a lot of people, that would be a deal breaker. If we weren't there for a wedding, I would not have gone. But I am an ocean person.

For snorkelling, we rented a catamaran. We took it out for the day, they had food and drinks and we snorkelled around. It worked well.

T-Dubbs
06-30-2010, 03:09 PM
id stay on the pacific side of mexico
the gulf doesnt look too clean these days.....................

95EG6P
06-30-2010, 03:44 PM
i went to cancun for a week like a year ago make sure you get a place that servs good food eating shitty food suck for a week man. the hotel is temptation resort they only changed one item for the buffet so it is the same shit all week and the resturant you can only eat at it once for your whole stay

96integra
06-30-2010, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by dannie
We stayed at the Riu in Cabo and yes, you cannot swim in the ocean. For a lot of people, that would be a deal breaker. If we weren't there for a wedding, I would not have gone. But I am an ocean person.

For snorkelling, we rented a catamaran. We took it out for the day, they had food and drinks and we snorkelled around. It worked well.

So there are areas where you can snorkel? You just cant swim where the resorts are? Is the water like gatorade blue or dirty water?

T-Dubbs
06-30-2010, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by 96integra
Is the water like gatorade blue or dirty water?

LOL its dark and oily!!!!!!!

Enhance
06-30-2010, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by T-Dubbs

LOL its dark and oily!!!!!!!

:facepalm:
http://www.esri.com/services/disaster-response/gulf-oil-spill-2010/index.html

T-Dubbs
06-30-2010, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Enhance

:facepalm:
http://www.esri.com/services/disaster-response/gulf-oil-spill-2010/index.html

there is reports of beaches in mexico that have oil clumps already, and its not going to get better

Jeremiah
06-30-2010, 08:25 PM
PM me, if you want me to help you find a resort on Friday

UndrgroundRider
06-30-2010, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by T-Dubbs

there is reports of beaches in mexico that have oil clumps already, and its not going to get better :facepalm: Geography fail.

They were talking about los cabos on the west side of mexico.

96integra
06-30-2010, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Jeremiah
PM me, if you want me to help you find a resort on Friday
Will do!

Originally posted by UndrgroundRider
:facepalm: Geography fail.

They were talking about los cabos on the west side of mexico.

So Los Cabos should be okay? I suck at geography too so I have no clue...

On another note, do you guys know if it's safe in Los Cabos? Planning to leave the resort cause im sure well be bored.
And does anyone know when hurricane season is? Hope it will be okay at the end of August...

e36bmw///
06-30-2010, 11:50 PM
nm

toyboy88
07-01-2010, 12:14 AM
- Two 'top' bars/clubs in Cabo would be Cabo Wabo and El Squid Roe.

- Watch out for some 'sneaky' bars/clubs (especially some of the less busy/smaller ones)...they will try to charge you as much as they can for drinks! One example, we ordered 2 shots and a water, when asked how much it cost...they said $21 US, we were like WTF and said no way (and offered/said $14 for the 3 drinks) and they took it easily. That happened in one of the other 'popular' younger bars in the main tourist strip by Cabo Wabo (can't recall the name right now though of the place).

- Cabo has a quite safe 'feel' to it vs other cities in Mexico...especially since most people are in the main tourist (harbour) area, you should have no problems. Use common sense and avoid random 'back' roads like you would in any city.

- Water is not 'tropical blue' in most parts around Cabo, not dirty by any means...but not sparkling blue.

- Make sure the hotel your booking is right in Cabo San Lucas, and not San Jose del Cabo or the Cabo 'hotel corridor'. It will save you time and taxi money.

Just some random points...anything else specifically, feel free to ask! :)

UndrgroundRider
07-01-2010, 05:27 PM

Will do!

So Los Cabos should be okay? I suck at geography too so I have no clue...

On another note, do you guys know if it's safe in Los Cabos? Planning to leave the resort cause im sure well be bored.
And does anyone know when hurricane season is? Hope it will be okay at the end of August...

Is my sarcasm detector broken? I just don't know anymore since we got rid of the user registration date feature.

96integra
07-01-2010, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by UndrgroundRider

Is my sarcasm detector broken? I just don't know anymore since we got rid of the user registration date feature.

What's there to be sarcastic from my post?

Power_Of_Rotary
07-01-2010, 08:41 PM
I was planning on going to puerta vallarta but not sure how fun that place is?

how is the party/night life there? which resorts are rowdy :D

dannie
07-01-2010, 09:34 PM

So there are areas where you can snorkel? You just cant swim where the resorts are? Is the water like gatorade blue or dirty water?

There are, but you can't get to them without taking a boat of some sort. No swimming other than in the pool. The undertow is too strong, they do not let you go in the ocean.

Nope.... the water is not gatorade blue. Go to tripadvisor.com and search the hotels in Cabo. There are photos of the hotels and the beaches. It will show you what it looks like.

96integra
07-02-2010, 01:41 AM
Okay so we decided to go to Cancun since it looks nicer and might be better for partying.

Resort were looking at is Grand Sirenis Riviera (5 stars) but its 60mins away from the Cancun airport. Does this mean that the city is 60mins away? We would like to go to the city and if its that far away, it might not be worth it. It's definately nice to be able to swim and snorkel right on the resort though.

Any input/recommendations for resorts in Cancun? Anything we must experience in Cancun?

UndrgroundRider
07-02-2010, 07:44 AM
Okay so we decided to go to Cancun since it looks nicer and might be better for partying.

Resort were looking at is Grand Sirenis Riviera (5 stars) but its 60mins away from the Cancun airport. Does this mean that the city is 60mins away? We would like to go to the city and if its that far away, it might not be worth it. It's definately nice to be able to swim and snorkel right on the resort though.

Any input/recommendations for resorts in Cancun? Anything we must experience in Cancun?

All of the best resorts are that far out of Cancun on the south side of Playa del Carmen. The Grand Sirenis Riviera is right in the middle of a strip of resorts, all of which are pretty top notch. Personally I really like the Barcelo which is in the same area.

As far as going into the city is concerned, you don't want to go into Cancun. It's just another city. Playa del Carmen is a much better place for tourists. It's a short 10 minute cab ride. During my first few trips to mexico I made it out to playa del carmen a few times. Lately I'm more concerned with the bar in the pool, shaded cabanas and amazing food.

96integra
07-03-2010, 09:02 PM
Sweet thanks for sharing. I think well be going to Playa del Carmen for some of the nightlife. Does anyone know any sweet bars/clubs I must check out?

And does anyone know any websites or tourist group that does excursions in Cancun? I would like to see what we are able to do.

Jeremiah
07-04-2010, 11:10 AM
You'll be able to do pretty much an excursion you could do anywhere in Mexico from the Mayan.

My suggestion would be to talk to the concierge when you get to your resort and see what they have that you can do directly from your hotel.

I would do Zip Lining, Scuba (normally an intro course is included with your AI) and ATVing in the jungle haha

D. Dub
07-05-2010, 12:12 AM
whoops

D. Dub
07-05-2010, 12:16 AM
Last time we stayed at the Dreams Los Cabos. Pretty nice place, great service and a mature crowd. But since Los Cabos is 15 minutes away you can party and let loose any way you want to with regular shuttles or local buses that go back and forth.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...California.html

The small town city of San Jose Del Cabo is about 15-20 minutes away in the other direction on the highway -- way cool, laid back old Mexico feel. A few excellent restaurants and clubs, better yet 50-75% of the people going out at night to party out are locals (as long as you have basic Spanish) much more fun people than being around a bunch of Americans from California. blecchh

Cool enough, last time we were there we met a top level Major League pitcher and his girlfriend -- I won't say who he was -- but he was almost 7 feet tall. -- Nice people, down to earth people even though he had just signed a crazy huge contract!!!

D. Dub
07-05-2010, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by D. Dub
Last time we stayed at the Dreams Los Cabos. Pretty nice place, great service and a mature crowd. But since Los Cabos is 15 minutes away you can party and let loose any way you want to with regular shuttles or local buses that go back and forth.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g152515-d482539-Reviews-Dreams_Los_Cabos_Suites_Golf_Resort_Spa-Cabo_San_Lucas_Los_Cabos_Baja_California.html

The small town city of San Jose Del Cabo is about 15-20 minutes away in the other direction on the highway -- way cool, laid back old Mexico feel. A few excellent restaurants and clubs, better yet 50-75% of the people going out at night to party out are locals as long as you have basic Spanish, they are much more fun people than being around a bunch of opinionated and loutish Americans from California. blecchh Being surrounded by Americans is also why I don't like Cancun.

Cool enough, last time we were at Dream we met a top level Major League pitcher -- I won't say who he was -- but he was almost 7 feet tall and is from Texas -- Nice, down to earth people even though he had just signed a crazy huge contract!!!

D. Dub
07-05-2010, 12:25 AM
Also The people were also mellow and happy -- a long way from the border towns -- I felt safer there than downtown Calgary

Jeremiah
07-05-2010, 08:08 AM
Fuck That!

Hanging out with the locals in Mexico sucks!