PDA

View Full Version : Car JUST Stolen - and I watched it happen

Rocky
06-30-2010, 06:25 AM
Good morning Beyond,

At 6am this morning my car alarm for my parked Civic, currently for sale on kijiji and these forums, started making all sorts of crazy noise. I saw through my window that a man had parked nose to nose on it and was playing around. I thought he had hit the car and so I got dressed and went outside to figure out what was going on.

The individual in question looked at me as he got into my car, which had been started, reversed, and sped off down the road, leaving a sedan (96-2000) Civic on the street. My car had been locked and alarmed so I'm not sure what happened. The man was taller, and appeared to be a tanned caucasian.

The plate on the vehicle is EXK 011 and is only registered to March 2010. The car was stolen on the southside of Edmonton.

Please use caution if purchasing a similar vehicle in the near future as it may be stolen property.

This has been a very startling and disturbing event and it has left me quite shaken. Thanks for listening Beyond.

PS: Car is red, 1996 Honda Civic HB, at time of theft included white ITR 4 bolt wheels and a black CF hood.

The police are on their way and I will update this thread later if anyone is interested.

http://img1.classistatic.com/cps/kj/100423/741r8/56477gb_19.jpeg
http://img1.classistatic.com/cps/kj/100423/741r5/7842gkl_19.jpeg

3drian
06-30-2010, 06:28 AM
wow thats crazy man, I bet you are pissed off. hopefully the police will help you find the car..
best of luck

Zhariak
06-30-2010, 06:44 AM
It's time for vigilante Beyond CSI to come into action!

davidI
06-30-2010, 07:00 AM
Sucks to hear man! Hopefully they get caught and your car is alright...

On the bright side, you may have just got a sedan out of the deal!?!

You would have thought there would have been two of them and taken the other car with them - unless it had already been stripped of parts or something? I can't see there being a big difference in value between the two cars other than the wheels and hood (don't know about the condition...)

Keep us posted on the outcome!

Jetta-2.0
06-30-2010, 07:04 AM
what an ugly feeling lol

Willie Bobo
06-30-2010, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by davidI
I can't see there being a big difference in value between the two cars other than the wheels and hood (don't know about the condition...)

It's likely that the first one is just about out of gas

davidI
06-30-2010, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by Willie Bobo

It's likely that the first one is just about out of gas

Haha, very good point. You'd think it would be easier to steal gas than a car, but sadly, it probably isn't!

Rocky
06-30-2010, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by davidI
Sucks to hear man! Hopefully they get caught and your car is alright...

On the bright side, you may have just got a sedan out of the deal!?!

You would have thought there would have been two of them and taken the other car with them - unless it had already been stripped of parts or something? I can't see there being a big difference in value between the two cars other than the wheels and hood (don't know about the condition...)

Keep us posted on the outcome!
Haha, yeah I thought I said no trades :P

There was definitely only one individual. The whole series of events is strange. The car left at the scene had not yet been reported stolen and there was a lot of stuff in it that indicated it was a student's car to me. (This was all near the University). I'm guessing that car had been stolen earlier in the morning, we will wait to hear.

The police found a receipt in the sedan for a McDonalds nearby at 5:11am, and the staff there verified my description. They have video footage of the drive thru so the police are going to investigate that.

I don't really expect to see the car again, in any sort of condition, but I would like to see the individual caught and punished. I despise petty thieves, and am disgusted that some individuals can sleep at night knowing that they take property that belongs to others for their own selfish gain.

scat330
06-30-2010, 08:43 AM
What a dumbass, leaving a trail. He obviously hasn't been to the movies.

I hope you have insurance/get your car back.

-relk-
06-30-2010, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by scat330
What a dumbass, leaving a trail. He obviously hasn't been to the movies.

I hope you have insurance/get your car back.

No kidding. Just from watching shows you could probably get away with various crimes undetected.

theken
06-30-2010, 09:16 AM
Civics are so so so so easy to steal

mr2mike
06-30-2010, 09:38 AM
Should have taken a video of it with your video camera.
Yes, I know, not always the first thing on people's minds. Crack the cellphone on video, go out, hold it by your side, then you get audio too of the conversation.

Sucks man. Funny thing is someone I know saw this happen to their car yesterday in Calgary.

dsr7723
06-30-2010, 09:48 AM
Anybody near my ride like that I woulda came out with a blunt object and that fucker would never have gotten away. Fuck dude what a shitty deal, good news is recovery rates for stolen vehicles is high. Good luck.

spike98
06-30-2010, 09:51 AM
Did you let it go on a test drive?

By the way you tell the story it wouldnt suprise me if they had a key that may have been copied from a test drive. Hell you can even program a FOB while your at it too.

bituerbo
06-30-2010, 09:52 AM
Well likely he leaves your car in the same condition he took it in when it runs out of gas. Him leaving the previously jacked car at your place should give you some comfort.

adidas
06-30-2010, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Should have taken a video of it with your video camera.
Yes, I know, not always the first thing on people's minds. Crack the cellphone on video, go out, hold it by your side, then you get audio too of the conversation.

Sucks man. Funny thing is someone I know saw this happen to their car yesterday in Calgary.

Yea, let me whip out the camera and start filming the dude that is trying to steal my car and also try an have a convo with him, like we are sitting down for dinner.

Last thing on my mind would be filming(if i was in the situation where i saw the thief breaking into my car), First thing would be to tackle.

bubbley
06-30-2010, 11:18 AM
just jack the car he left you :dunno:

At lease he was nice enough to leave you another whip

bignerd
06-30-2010, 11:25 AM
I will say he really wanted your car. Don't despair though, our Civic was stolen once and found only a few hours later sans CD player and intact ingnition but everything else was intact (rims, parts, things worth money etc...).

What condition was the car in that he left you?? That should be some sort of indicator....

scat330
06-30-2010, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by bubbley
At lease he was nice enough to leave you another whip

http://www.northwestmuseum.org/userfiles/image/Out_of_this_World/IndianaJones_whip.jpg

Here is my whip.

Why do people call their cars "whips", retarded.

beyond_ban
06-30-2010, 11:28 AM

Here is my whip.

Cause we like to ghost ride em, y0.

bubbley
06-30-2010, 11:29 AM

http://www.northwestmuseum.org/userfiles/image/Out_of_this_World/IndianaJones_whip.jpg

Here is my whip.

You aint gangsta..you wont understand

n1zm0
06-30-2010, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by theken
Civics are so so so so easy to steal

this is why all my winter beater hondas have had numerous fuel pump/ignition kill switches in series, the time it takes for that theif to search and search for those 2 or more switches then most likely give up is worth the time of me ripping out my interior and making barely accessible switch brackets etc. the only way youre taking my winter beater is with a tow truck :guns:

simple combustion engine knowledge, no fuel no ignition = no go.

edit: GL with the recovery OP, i've been in the situation but never saw it happen, never forget that sunken feeling in the morning when your autostarter does not confirm the car start (mine happened in the middle of winter)

theken
06-30-2010, 12:33 PM
Pry door apart with fingers. Use something to unlock door. Take ignition out bust It. car gone. 2 minutes tops. Its retarded how easy they are. Most things are though when u can get inside.

Rocky
06-30-2010, 01:09 PM
Hi all, thanks for your feedback.

Firstly to answer one poster, there is only one key for the car, which is still in my possession. No test drives have happened either. And the car's specific location was not posted on any ads.

What I cannot comprehend, is why the 4-door was parked facing mine, with its hood up. I'm guessing this was to make the operation seem legitimate. The moron had time to close the 4-door's hood however before booking it in my car.

I didn't see how much gas the 4-door had, I let the cops play around with it.

Kill switch(es) are a great investment and I recommend one to all Honda owners, considering their ease of accessibility and frequency for this kind of shit. Woulda shoulda coulda.

Tik-Tok
06-30-2010, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Rocky

I don't really expect to see the car again, in any sort of condition,

You never know. If he stole one civic, and then swapped it for yours, he might just do the same again in a few hours. Especially after knowing that you saw him.

Rocky
06-30-2010, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

You never know. If he stole one civic, and then swapped it for yours, he might just do the same again in a few hours. Especially after knowing that you saw him.
Would be a nice surprise.

Here's pictures just in case it turns up for someone locally.
http://img1.classistatic.com/cps/kj/100423/741r8/56477gb_19.jpeg
http://img1.classistatic.com/cps/kj/100423/741r5/7842gkl_19.jpeg

n1zm0
06-30-2010, 01:56 PM
Kill switch(es) are a great investment and I recommend one to all Honda owners, considering their ease of accessibility and frequency for this kind of shit. Woulda shoulda coulda.

it's such a cheap investment its not even funny, youre literally buying about $7-$10 worth of material:

-some electrical wire
-switch(es) of your choice
-spade connectors
-wire cutters

and a bendable bracket with a hole in it (or drill a hole in it), like one of those cheap ass ikea box end wrenchs they give you to put your bed frame together with, to hold the switch in a floating position.

i believe it's the lack of knowledge or laziness for most people, just couldn't be bothered to learn simple electronics and combustion engine theory, that is not even needed really, it's mostly the craftiness of where you want to put your switches.

Civicnati0n
06-30-2010, 02:01 PM
Steering Wheel Club could help too?

MGCM
06-30-2010, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0

this is why all my winter beater hondas have had numerous fuel pump/ignition kill switches in series, the time it takes for that theif to search and search for those 2 or more switches then most likely give up is worth the time of me ripping out my interior and making barely accessible switch brackets etc. the only way youre taking my winter beater is with a tow truck :guns:

simple combustion engine knowledge, no fuel no ignition = no go.

edit: GL with the recovery OP, i've been in the situation but never saw it happen, never forget that sunken feeling in the morning when your autostarter does not confirm the car start (mine happened in the middle of winter)

I opted for the "removable" switch, :D fuses, if they don't take the time to look at the fusebox they'll never know why it didn't start for them. But, a few various hidden switches also works well:thumbsup:

sillysod
06-30-2010, 02:18 PM
He most likely committed a crime with the other car and wanted to get rid of it incase the cops were looking for it.

Chances are that since you caught him stealing your car he will unload that one really quickly too.

People rarely steal cars for a joy ride, majority of stolen vehicles are used to committ crimes.

And you're correct driving up front to front with the hood open will stop people from looking at what's going on. They assume you are going to boost your car or something and forget about.
Old trick that works pretty well for these losers.

n1zm0
06-30-2010, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by MGCM
I opted for the "removable" switch, :D fuses, if they don't take the time to look at the fusebox they'll never know why it didn't start for them. But, a few various hidden switches also works well:thumbsup:

yeah back in the day (HS) i also thought this to be a thing to do, but as some hondas require a firm grip onto the fuse with the courtesy fuse puller they have in the box, also you really want to that while squatting down there in the footwell or open up the damned hood everytime just to remove that relay or fuse?

Originally posted by Civicnati0n
Steering Wheel Club could help too?

haven't you seen that Club Brake Lock commercial where it's the Club but for your brake pedal? iirc it shows some dramatization of a theif whipping out a hacksaw and just cutting into a steering wheel and budging 'The Club' until it comes off then he jams the ignition and fks off.

all those security devices ppl buy for locking the functional controls of the vehicle are useless and a waste of $ imo, disabling the means of making the vehicle actually GO is the only way to protect your car from getting jacked ,tow truck using theifs not included lol, but how many of those are out there compared to street level car boosters.

MGCM
06-30-2010, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0

yeah back in the day (HS) i also thought this to be a thing to do, but as some hondas require a firm grip onto the fuse with the courtesy fuse puller they have in the box, also you really want to that while squatting down there in the footwell or open up the damned hood everytime just to remove that relay or fuse?

I just keep a pair of needle nose pliers in my car, and I tried a bunch of the fuses under the dash, none of them prevented me from starting the car so I moved to under the hood. It's a bit of a PITA and I should probably just do the switches but I haven't felt like digging around under the dash to wire it all up.

EvolizePhoto
06-30-2010, 05:29 PM
My old anti theft device used to be operated by a key. It was an ignition cut off switch, if you ripped the unit out it would not allow the battery to connect to the starter either. was pretty nifty unit got from princess auto

v2kai
06-30-2010, 05:57 PM
your car just needed a g spot...

http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/dandavies/Index.htm

FFb5_mKfnR8

will keep an eye out for your hatch

FiveFreshFish
06-30-2010, 06:53 PM
Here's pictures just in case it turns up for someone locally.

Edit your first post to include the pics.

DelSoln
07-01-2010, 12:14 AM
You should post this on 780tuners, Rocky. Unfortunately the U of A area is consistently one of the worst for stolen cars.

PremiumRSX
07-01-2010, 08:18 AM
I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for your car in Calgary.

Integra10
07-02-2010, 01:28 PM

Here is my whip.

You should know about retardation I see more and more of it every post you make.

Justin-88
07-04-2010, 11:52 PM
The guy may get caught thou, the police are going to go to mcdonalds and check the drive thru tapes, see the guy get his big mac on. But in all honesty thats a sick civic and sorry to hear about it being stolen.

garyb
07-05-2010, 01:26 PM
It could show up somewhere. I had a 95 integra stolen, jdm front, wheels, suspension, leather. would have been able to make a bit of coin parting it out, but it turned up a week later parked, nothing missing, nothing broken. I know how it feels.
Best of luck to you!

Rocky
07-08-2010, 01:23 PM
Hello Beyond!

I am happy to report the vehicle has been recovered. However, I'm not aware of what shape it is, they didn't say nothing so I will be going to check it out tonight. Hopefully I'm not identifying a body.

Big thanks to Beyond & 780Tuners for hearing my story and keeping their eyes peeled for me. I will conclude it shortly and hopefully it will be a positive outcome.

freshprince1
07-08-2010, 01:34 PM
That's good news OP. Hopefully there will be little damage. I assume insurance will cover the costs of repair, minus the deductable??

Rocky
07-10-2010, 04:21 PM
The car is now home, after about $300 worth of fees and towing and whatever else. The vehicle was found one week after it was stolen, in a residential alley not far from the crime.

The car's condition was as I had left it, minus some body damage (scrapes and dents). All parts, engine, everything is intact. My interior had been picked through but even my original bill of sale was in the glove compartment. I lost my deck faceplate.

What's most interesting is I found a bunch of the guy's stuff in my car. A whole bunch. Clothes, tools, several stereo faceplates, a Playboy (no gf?), a McDonalds (can't cook?) receipt from the day after it was stolen, two locations written down (scouting other cars I'm sure), etc. The police have been notified of this new evidence and I will be speaking with one of the officers who found my car soon. I am led to believe the place found was actually the residence of this guy and if I am correct, I hope we can potentially make an arrest on one of society's scumbags.

It is my belief this guy meant to continue driving this car or do a VIN switch on it. He is a moron and he will get his one way or another.

Lastly the vehicle is again for sale. I am essentially fire sale'ing it, as is, for $4000 obo, for any interested parties. I really don't have time to deal w/ this stuff with school.

I'm really happy because the car, at any sale price, will help me pay for another year of school. Big thanks to Beyond and 780 who both did a lot to keep an eye out.

sweetsusie
08-07-2010, 10:56 AM
wow that is crazy..i would be shaken as well!!!

thegooddie
08-11-2010, 02:53 PM
wow that's ridiculous. glad to hear you got your car back. glws

Sentry
08-11-2010, 04:35 PM
Dude you can probably nail that idiot shitbag with the mcdonalds receipt. They have cameras at the drive thrus and inside the restaurants.