PDA

View Full Version : Axle CV Joint Bearing

hatdrawn
06-30-2010, 04:57 PM
Hi,

Long story short. I lost two balls from the CV Joint bearing in my driver's side axle.

Micro'd one of them. .875 / 7/8". Can I just buy replacements from the shop in town and pop them in or is this a bad idea?

These 2 little balls are the only thing keeping my car off the road and it's driving me crazy!

Thanks

Twin_Cam_Turbo
06-30-2010, 05:04 PM
I would say replace them.

hatdrawn
06-30-2010, 05:11 PM
Someone suggested that new balls could cause a problem because there's a chance they may be a hair off.

I was planning on replacing the full set, just to make sure everything is fine and dandy. So that I don't have two separate sets of balls in there.

I guess what I'm trying to get out of here is a big objection to the idea. I don't think it should cause any problems, but is there anyone on here that knows more than me and thinks this is a really bad idea?

I really don't want to put the money into new axles and or CV joints.

sr20s14zenki
06-30-2010, 08:19 PM
i dont know about mr2s in particular, but they SHOULD be a sealed bearing no? That would mean that bearing is toast and you would need a new one, and most likely need to press it out and in....so removing control arm. I could be wrong, but every car i have ever seen either had roller bearings, or sealed units that you need to change out.

Ashkente
06-30-2010, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
i dont know about mr2s in particular, but they SHOULD be a sealed bearing no? That would mean that bearing is toast and you would need a new one, and most likely need to press it out and in....so removing control arm. I could be wrong, but every car i have ever seen either had roller bearings, or sealed units that you need to change out.

These aren't wheel bearings. They're CV ball/cage dealies.

http://western.net.nz/wheels/mr2/doc/AW11%20parts%20catalogue/Transaxle/lg/rear%20axle%20shaft.GIF

stealth
07-04-2010, 11:26 AM
I got full axles for sale. $200.

thinmyster
07-04-2010, 02:36 PM
I would buy stealth's changing and installing the cages and bearings is a pain the the ass!

stealth
07-05-2010, 12:33 AM
Yea they are.

BTW thinmyster I found the hardware for the mirrors if you still need them with instructions. They are just a few tiny bolts that you can find at Home Depot. If you want I can send em.

hatdrawn
07-05-2010, 09:47 AM
Stealth

Are your axles for an LSD transmission?

mr2mike
07-05-2010, 10:07 AM
Changing and installing cages are easy after you know the trick.

Seriously, it takes 30 seconds to drop the ball bearings in with the cages. Just make sure you line it up right so it rotates freely. If it jams up, you've done it wrong.

Its up to you, if stealth gets you a good price, then I would do that.

Replacing the bearings shouldn't cost too much either. Just don't get ball bearings that are too large or I could see them wearing down the stock cages and tracks.

stealth
07-06-2010, 05:20 PM
Mine are not for a LSD transmission.

mr2mike
07-06-2010, 05:24 PM
Another option is getting the chico race works axle cage upgrades and going that route. They send them put together, you just install them.

hatdrawn
07-12-2010, 05:22 PM
I was looking into the Chico option. I'm not sure that's the way I want to go right now. TSL has the right size balls, I just need to find some time to get down there. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks stealth, but all this was brought up by me getting a new '93 LSD trans axle.