PDA

View Full Version : land speed record

cobber112879
12-16-2003, 08:21 PM
A friend in school was telling me today that a Saturn Redline Ion (turbo 2.2l ecotech) broke the landspeed record for the 4cyl modded category in the states. Has anyone seen any articles on this? Did a search on google, but had no luck:dunno:

1badPT
12-16-2003, 08:24 PM
I find that hard to believe, the Saturn redline is going to be a huge performance improvement over the regualr Ion - but land speed records, I highly doubt. I'd be shocked if this were true.

cobber112879
12-16-2003, 08:27 PM
I agree, however, stranger things have happened.

hjr
12-16-2003, 08:28 PM
in land speed records, there are numerous different classes. Maybe it broke its class record...

illeagle
12-16-2003, 08:35 PM
it broke the record? was it right off the showroom floor? That Lingenfelter guy made a 2.2 Ecotec run 7's 1/4 mile:thumbsup:

ryder_23
12-16-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by illeagle
was it right off the showroom floor?

Originally posted by cobber112879
record for the 4cyl modded category in the states.

It probably was a certain subclass or something :dunno:

1badPT
12-16-2003, 08:45 PM
I'm looking at the write up about the redline in December Motor Trend magazine.

Its a powerful but certainly not class-leading at 200hp. (SRT-4 is more powerful and run the 0-60 in less time as well as the 1/4 mi).

Unless the classification is this specific:
Supercharged 4 cylinder sport compact built in North America excluding turbos.

To be honest, I'm a bit disappointed with the red line. GM of all companies has the resources to make a car faster than the SRT-4 and cheaper too. So the Ion Redline is a forgettable 2nd place finisher imo.

?????
12-16-2003, 09:59 PM
Hey i read that somewhere before too. It beat the Honda Civic.

Hakkola
12-16-2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by 1badPT
(SRT-4 is more powerful and run the 0-60 in less time as well as the 1/4 mi).

Neither of which matter when it comes down to land speed records.

But let me digress for a moment please... :whocares:

1badPT
12-17-2003, 12:04 AM
Someone mentioned that it was possible that it set a land speed record in its class - my point in mentining the bit about the SRT-4 that I'm pretty sure it would be considered as the same class as the Ion Redline, and its faster. Do you honestly think I'm sitting here thinking that the SRT-4 has the land speed record?? :dunno:

Khyron
12-17-2003, 12:10 AM
Do you honestly think I'm sitting here thinking that the SRT-4 has the land speed record?? :dunno:

Well, you drive a PT Cruiser, so anything is possible.

I kid, I kid. :devil:

Khyron

Hakkola
12-17-2003, 01:00 AM
No, what I'm saying is that 1/4 mile and 0-60 have little to do with a cars top speed.

1badPT
12-17-2003, 01:09 AM
Perhaps not the top speed, but HP definitely is a big factor, and I already covered that in my post. 0-60 and 1/4 mi comparisons were to cover the low end if the record had anything to do with acceleration. In conclusion... na na na na na na I'm right

:closed: :D

4wheeldrift
12-17-2003, 07:46 AM
Someone mentioned that it was possible that it set a land speed record in its class - my point in mentining the bit about the SRT-4 that I'm pretty sure it would be considered as the same class as the Ion Redline, and its faster. Do you honestly think I'm sitting here thinking that the SRT-4 has the land speed record?? :dunno: Yes, but the question is has anyone tried with an SRT-4? It doesn't matter how much faster another car that might be in the same class is if no one tries to set a record with it.

1badPT
12-17-2003, 11:26 AM
I find that hard to believe also. Over 11,000 Year 1 SRT-4's were sold, and we're now in Year 2 and they figure they'll sell their production capacity of the car which is 13,000. When the SRT-4 first arrived, it was heralded as the fastest car that you can buy for under $20,000 (US). Given all that, its hard for me to believe that if there was a record to be had, that someone didn't do it already. The redlines have only recently made it out to dealer lots, and given its numbers, any record it could break could be broke by the SRT-4.

I think the rumour is fake, but if its true I'd be very interested indeed.

4wheeldrift
12-17-2003, 01:09 PM
Please note, these vehicles are VERY heavily built, these numbers in no way reflect what the production car is capable of.

Information about the car:

http://www.saturnfans.com/Cars/Motorsports/landspeedrecord.shtml

Article about the record breaking run:

http://www.new-cars.com/news/031017-saturn-ion-red-line-record.htm

1badPT
12-17-2003, 01:36 PM
Heh very cool. The article says its not a stock ION Redline though, but still very cool. The Ecotec engine has a pretty strong aftermarket already and tuners have been putting out some impressive numbers on that engine. I guess I was disappointed that GM didn't make the stock Redline a bit beefier, and perhaps turbo'd instead of supercharged (the aftermarket turbos for the Ecotec are putting out sick HP/TQ numbers).

I don't understand the classification though:
G/Blown Fuel Altered class (yeah i know what the blown fuel altered means, but what's G?)

But that's cool that the Redline has that record under its belt. I wonder if Chrysler's PVO group will try and swipe it from them? :D

4wheeldrift
12-17-2003, 06:28 PM
Heh very cool. The article says its not a stock ION Redline though, but still very cool. The Ecotec engine has a pretty strong aftermarket already and tuners have been putting out some impressive numbers on that engine. I guess I was disappointed that GM didn't make the stock Redline a bit beefier, and perhaps turbo'd instead of supercharged (the aftermarket turbos for the Ecotec are putting out sick HP/TQ numbers). Its VERY rare to see stock cars running at bonneville. Like any other form of sanctioned racing, there are certain mods you can do legally in certain classes. A record like that is more for bragging rights then anything. Those new ecotecs are supposed to be built like a brick shithouse as well, the big number cavalier drag cars in the states are putting some serious numbers through stock components.

I don't understand the classification though:
G/Blown Fuel Altered class (yeah i know what the blown fuel altered means, but what's G?)Likely just a letter to distinguish between classes ie faster cars or ones with more potential in higher classes (A/B/C etc) and slower cars in lower ones.

But that's cool that the Redline has that record under its belt. I wonder if Chrysler's PVO group will try and swipe it from them? :D Would be interesting to see what they could come up with if nothing else.