PDA

View Full Version : Vagabond's Fat Ass Challenge (180 days)!

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

gqmw
07-06-2010, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
I was thinking of buying an XL pizza from Vogglio's if he makes it to day 30 and we'll go from there. :devil:

You are the devil max hahaha

Kobe
07-06-2010, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Vagabond142

Well, if it breaks me, then I get up the next day, stretch it out, and keep on keeping on :D

I think people don't realize just how determined I am to win. I've given up on so many things in the past decade. I've given up health, flexibility, confidence... hell, I was embarassed to even be in public sometimes... when I weighed 270 especially so.

I'm going to get back my confidence, I'm going to get back my health.

I also realized that I am way too shy for my own good, which is why I'm posting youtube vids. If I can break my shyness barrier by actually BREAKING it, I may one day be confident, healthy, and look good enough that I can ask a lady out on a date :D Or meet them in public and talk to them there because I'll not be ashamed of my body anymore.

Ah... to be dating again :D (yes, that is one of my unannounced goals :P)

Maybe we can get a prop bet going if you can succeed on your goals or not? Its good motivation, and I'm with Max_Boost on this one.. P90X is fucken TOUGH!

403Gemini
07-06-2010, 07:34 PM
I'm not hating when I say this.

BUT

I KNOW a lot of people who have tried P90X. None have finished. :rofl:

So sorry Vagabond, my bets on you failing but use that as motivation and make me eat my words. :thumbsup:

This.

Vagabond, you have my support man, but week 4, the cooldown week, it's tough to go back. I did 6 weeks before I stopped. HOWEVER by week 6 I dropped almost 30 lbs and it was a drastic change. Now I just eat healthy every day and try and go to the gym 4 times a week and it keeps me fit.

Just don't expect a Captain America body like they promise in the infomercial, otherwise you'll be upset with the results. Expect to loose weight and be more healthy, but you won't be as jacked as they say you will. least from my experience and a lot of my friends experience, I have people who have hit week 8-10 and while noticeably they lost weight, they weren't the pro athletes / muscle heads the infomercials make it sound like you will be.

Vagabond142
07-06-2010, 07:46 PM
Well, there's a reason I'm doing 180 days of P90X. The first 90 is going to be my pure cutting/fat loss drive, while the second one, if favorable results occur with cycle 1, will have heavier weights and be aimed more at heavier tone and strength vs tone and flab loss.

I don't expect to look like anything other than a thinner, fitter version of me after 180 days. It's why I set my dream goal of being able to see my abs and such... it's achievable, but I gotta work extra hard at the diet, at the workout, at pushing myself to get it, and keep it. It's a motivator :D

And who knows, maybe I'll do Insanity after it all, just to push it that much further :D We'll see in December :D

Vagabond142
07-06-2010, 08:09 PM
I was thinking of buying an XL pizza from Vogglio's if he makes it to day 30 and we'll go from there. :devil:

Well, you can go right ahead, gotta have a snack or two while watching me work on my fitness (pats Max's gut ;) )

Clever
07-06-2010, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

This.

Vagabond, you have my support man, but week 4, the cooldown week, it's tough to go back. I did 6 weeks before I stopped. HOWEVER by week 6 I dropped almost 30 lbs and it was a drastic change. Now I just eat healthy every day and try and go to the gym 4 times a week and it keeps me fit.

Just don't expect a Captain America body like they promise in the infomercial, otherwise you'll be upset with the results. Expect to loose weight and be more healthy, but you won't be as jacked as they say you will. least from my experience and a lot of my friends experience, I have people who have hit week 8-10 and while noticeably they lost weight, they weren't the pro athletes / muscle heads the infomercials make it sound like you will be.

LOL, I'm on my third try, my wife and I restarted after week 6 on my first try because we were not following the nutrition guide. Second try got all the way to the end of week 8, hurt my left foot and could not walk for a week and took almost 3 weeks to heal, it's still tender but tolerable. So last week is my "week 1". I should be a grad by now, but shit happens, I think that is why most people don't go back, I have 3 young kids that motivate me, keep pressing play as they said, "Rome was not built in a day, and neither was your body" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: <----- you'll get that when you start the program :thumbsup:

I still say do the full 90, then insanity, then do p90x doubles, doing P90x back to back may not have the same results since the program is based on muscle confusion, I read that somewhere in the p90x forums, I'm sure the guru's over there can explain it to you better. But I'm sure if you want to do the cycle again only to maintain, then why not.

Keep it up man, I'm rooting for you.

Vagabond142
07-06-2010, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Clever

I still say do the full 90, then insanity, then do p90x doubles, doing P90x back to back may not have the same results since the program is based on muscle confusion, I read that somewhere in the p90x forums, I'm sure the guru's over there can explain it to you better. But I'm sure if you want to do the cycle again only to maintain, then why not.

Keep it up man, I'm rooting for you.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Keep in mind as well: I'm doing P90X at the same time as cardio every morning... some mornings will be light cardio (10-15kms on the bike at normal pace) and some are going to be higher impact (jogging/running for distance and endurance, or hill sprints on the bike up and down 14th street between the police station and the nose hill parking lot, and will probably end that day with a back and forth across the park) :D So, in effect, I'm going to be doing P90X doubles.

Since I'm not working, I might as well be working out. When/if I get a job, then I'll probably run early morning (6 am or so) every other day, and work out when I get home from work. As they say in the videos: it's not about finding the time, it's about MAKING the time.

Also, as I've stated, the first round of P90X isn't to do any vicious strength or ripping, this first round is all about learning the system, using the nutrition properly, and losing the flab. The SECOND round, granted I get good first round results, is going to be about toning, building, and blasting what other flab I can. Then I'll prolly do Insanity to help with endurance and maintenance :P

Vagabond142
07-07-2010, 10:38 AM
A wild video appears!

xwaGtVtaWok

Wow... running kicked my ass. But I got 'er dun! And I'm gonna do more on Friday.

Hill sprints on my bike are tomorrow, so I'll probably do interval jogging on Friday for a bit (walk 90 secs, jog 30 secs) then when I'm about 300 meters from home, jog out the rest. Gonna do the same 4 km route that I did today.

I'm starting to notice a bit more spring in my step... like my body is starting to realize that is has good food and good exercise coming and is now maximizing the nutrition it gets.

Despite the fact that my lungs were on fire and my legs were screaming at me to stop because of acid, I pushed through and found a reserve, not much, but a reserve on the other side of the pain. I guess that was my first hit of "the wall." I'm guessing it feels MUCH worse when you're doing long distance running XD

Anyways, for a guy that hasn't gone above the speed of a medium walk for years, I am proud of this first running day. (pats own back) Booyah!

Unknown303
07-07-2010, 11:59 AM
Nice work Vag. Keep up the running. I'd suggest a tripod for those videos.

I don't think I remember anyone asking but why a Marathon? If you've ever seen the bad ass marathon runners they aren't really the most sculpted muscular types. There are a lot of decent 10km runs to do in and around Alberta and I always find them a little more enjoyable and better to gauge times on. There are usually a lot more 10km runs throughout the year as well so you get many chances to see how you are coming along.

Vagabond142
07-07-2010, 12:09 PM
Well, I call the 10 km Mother's Day a "marathon." I know it's not technically a marathon, and remember I'm not really going for bulk. I don't wanna be the next Hulk XD I just want a fit, toned body, maybe be able to do 30-40 lbs bicep curls, but that's about it.

For me, a perfect fit body is more Bruce Lee than Arnie :P Bruce Lee had explosive strength, but also extremely good endurance.

The reason I'm running is for the endurance cardio aspect. I don't wanna get winded walking down the street :| (which I do). Hence why I am pouring sweat and panting like a dog when I run... but I'm gonna stick to it. Push through the pain and get fit! :D

Unknown303
07-07-2010, 03:56 PM
Well good luck. Sounds like you're definitely determined enough. I'm in the get fit process right now too as I let everything go to crap over the winter and spend my springs/summers getting everything back just to waste it away over winter again.:dunno:

Vagabond142
07-07-2010, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303
Well good luck. Sounds like you're definitely determined enough. I'm in the get fit process right now too as I let everything go to crap over the winter and spend my springs/summers getting everything back just to waste it away over winter again.:dunno:

Well, do some maintenance over winter :P My end date is going to be sometime in December as it is, so I think my biggest challenge is going to be keeping my running fitness up, as I'm starting at a point where I realistically only have 2-3 months of viable running weather

Unknown303
07-07-2010, 04:05 PM
Winter running is actually fairly do-able. You just have to get over the first few minutes before your body comes up to temperature. That's how I find it anyways.

max_boost
07-07-2010, 04:12 PM
Winter? Let's not get ahead of ourselves here! :D

Vagabond142
07-07-2010, 04:14 PM
Winter? Let's not get ahead of ourselves here! :D

You can be lazy if you want to. I have a Mother's Day Run to train for.

max_boost
07-07-2010, 04:17 PM
haha I'm far from lazy.

Vagabond142
07-07-2010, 04:40 PM
Well, I should be well into P90X round 2 by the time winter actually arrives, so hopefully I'll have silenced all doubters by then :)

Vagabond142
07-07-2010, 09:06 PM
Picking up most of the gear tomorrow :D Pushup stands, impact mat, and 10 lbs dumbells (yes, 10 lbs, as my arm strength sucks). Once I sell a few more things, I'll pick up 20 lbs dumbells.

As to chinning bar... my dad and I are going to engineer one and build it this weekend :D

Jeremiah
07-07-2010, 09:31 PM
Fuck Sam, if you were this discouraging to me as you are to Vega, I would cry :cry: :cry:

Jeremiah
07-07-2010, 09:34 PM
Picking up most of the gear tomorrow :D Pushup stands, impact mat, and 10 lbs dumbells (yes, 10 lbs, as my arm strength sucks). Once I sell a few more things, I'll pick up 20 lbs dumbells.

As to chinning bar... my dad and I are going to engineer one and build it this weekend :D

Don't waste your time with 10lb dumbbells.

Its better to do 10 Reps of 20lb dumbbells than 20 of 10lb ones.

You'll be working your muscles much more because its more of a strain to do those

Even if you can only do 5 at a time. It'll be much more worth it and better money spent

Vagabond142
07-07-2010, 09:36 PM
Well, there are some exercises where they specifically stipulate "USE LIGHT WEIGHTS!" (eg: fly-n-pours) So I want to get both. I'll just start off the first couple of weeks with 10s, and then move up to the 20's for the last bit of phase 1 and the rest of round 1.

Keep in mind, I find a 4L jug of milk mildly heavy :\

msommers
07-07-2010, 09:53 PM
Good to see your motivation is so high with such high intensity. I'm rooting that you don't burn out man.

P.S. Tuna + hot sauce is the bomb :)

yellowsnow
07-07-2010, 09:58 PM
Nice going man :) Keep staying motivated!

Clever
07-07-2010, 10:07 PM
I agree get something heavier, not to knock you, but my wife started with 8's and 10's. Trust me, after week 2, 10's will not work for you, maybe even after week one. Pour Fly's and Weighted Circles come in the second phase, you have a lot of time to get stronger, and you will. So don't waste money on 10's, at least 15's and when you get stronger just do more reps, and hopefully you can get a heavier set before phase 2. Shit it's yard sale season, I'm sure you can find some fairly cheap. Maybe some beyond ballers have some kicking around, 10-20lbs that they are willing to sell.:thumbsup:

Unknown303
07-07-2010, 10:07 PM
You're actually motivating me to do more now. It's more of a competition..

And hang onto the 10's. There's all kinds of crap you can do with those when you're bored. Fast moment stuff is golden with 10's.

jsn
07-08-2010, 12:06 AM
lol damn Sam, they don't call you the beyond bully for no reason. But honestly, good luck with it. I haven't seen too many people finish the complete cycle, but if you're really up for it and can do exactly as you planned, good for you. I'm pretty sure I don't have the discipline/time (especially when school starts again) to go through a full 90 day cycle. I work out, but the whole 60+ minutes a day, every day, is a bit too intense for me. Good luck with it, and hopefully you can make the doubters eat their words :devil:

Type_S1
07-08-2010, 12:10 AM
Good luck man stick to it

max_boost
07-08-2010, 12:56 AM
Sorry Vagabond but 10lb dumb bells? haha :D

For real dawg? :nut: :dunno:

That's what the 100lb hot blond girls :drool: at the gym use.....

You have to man up. I'll let you borrow a couple 30's to shred that fat. :thumbsup:

(Again, prove me wrong bro!):devil:

jsn
07-08-2010, 01:09 AM
LOL you really don't let up eh sam? You definitely earn your custom user title.

max_boost
07-08-2010, 01:17 AM
Na....he's gonna thank me.

In his workouts when he needs that extra push, he's gonna be like, that mofo max_boost.....:guns: :whipped: :rofl:

gqmw
07-08-2010, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by Kobe

Maybe we can get a prop bet going if you can succeed on your goals or not? Its good motivation, and I'm with Max_Boost on this one.. P90X is fucken TOUGH!

What odds and what side are you on?

Vagabond142
07-08-2010, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by jsn
lol damn Sam, they don't call you the beyond bully for no reason. But honestly, good luck with it. I haven't seen too many people finish the complete cycle, but if you're really up for it and can do exactly as you planned, good for you. I'm pretty sure I don't have the discipline/time (especially when school starts again) to go through a full 90 day cycle. I work out, but the whole 60+ minutes a day, every day, is a bit too intense for me. Good luck with it, and hopefully you can make the doubters eat their words :devil:

At this rate, I'll have to go to a case sale, buy a flat of alphagetti and give one to each doubter on day 90 XD

And as to starting with 10's, one of the things they say in almost EVERY video is "know your limits." I just wish I could afford selectable weight dumbells. I mean, all the ones I see are 5-50 lbs in range, and hundreds of dollars... if they had a 5-25 version at like $40, that'd be cool :D

However, I'm starting cold (well, a week of conditioning), and if I started with 30's I know for a fact I would very likely be sacrificing form and safety for ego. So I'll use the "girly" 10/15 lbs until my body tells me I can go up to 20/25. It's better to do 12-14 reps safely and properly than to do 4-6 wrongly and injure myself. Remember, I'm not here to bulk, and I will be developing strength naturally from the pushups and pullups. The really intense phase of P90X is the middle 30 days, so I'll use 20 lbs by then if not a week or two before.

And as stated above, maybe by the end of the 30 days I can include the 10's into the some of the lighter routines just for extra toning.

max_boost
07-08-2010, 07:58 AM
Can you elaborate on this "toning" thing?!? :dunno:

Vagabond142
07-08-2010, 08:12 AM
Can you elaborate on this &quot;toning&quot; thing?!? :dunno:

According to wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strength_training#Muscle_toning

Muscle toning

Some weight trainers perform light, high-repetition exercises in an attempt to "tone" their muscles without increasing their size.

What muscle builders refer to as a toned physique is one that combines reasonable muscular size with moderate levels of body fat, qualities that may result from a combination of diet and exercise. Exercises of 6-12 reps indeed do cause hypertrophy of the sarcoplasm in slow-twitch and high-twitch muscle fibers, contributing to overall increased muscle bulk. This is not to be confused with myofibril hypertrophy which leads to lifting gains. Both however can occur to an extent during this rep range.

Lowered-calorie diets have no positive effect on muscle hypertrophy for muscle of any fiber type. They may, however, decrease the thickness of subcutaneous fat (fat between muscle and skin), through an overall reduction in body fat, thus making muscle striations more visible.

Basically, I'll be getting a slight increase in size of muscles from the resistance and body weight stuff (pushups, pullups, etc), and tone from the weighted exercises at higher reps.

Think of it this way:

Muscle tone is how much the muscle can endure, while overall muscle strength is how much the muscle can power through. Body builders go for bulk and size, while toners go for endurance.

I think that's about the best I can (in my own amateur, researched way) explain it :\ As I plan on running in a 10k race, it makes sense to focus my muscular development along the lines of endurance vs being a 20 ton tank rolling down the road

Jeremiah
07-08-2010, 08:15 AM

It's better to do 12-14 reps safely and properly than to do 4-6 wrongly and injure myself.

Its better to make your muscles work harder even at smaller increments with heavier weights.

But I don't understand, how you can lift a 20lb dumbbell the wrong way?

Seriously man, theres no point in getting a set of 10s.

Even if you can only do 5 at a time(of the 20lb ones), its going to be better for you than doing more of something that is easier.

"Knowing your limits" is almost a cop out for being too scared to push harder.

I'm not strong by any means, and I don't pretend to be, but 10lb weights are really not heavy at all.

I started at my weakest with 20lb dumbbells. I could only do 20 on each arm at a time, and now I'm up to 40.

In fact its time to move up to a heavier dumbbell :devil:

Vagabond142
07-08-2010, 08:41 AM
I'm not trying to cop out at all. I'm just getting confusing signals now... 50% of people say "lighter weights more reps are better" and the other half say "heavier with fewer reps." This first cycle of P90X is primarily there to work my body to caloric burn, so as to reduce body fat. As I keep banging on about, some natural strength is going to occur anyways as a result of the thousands of pushups, pull ups, and plyometric exercises done anyways.

In all seriousness, and I mean serious, 20 lbs per arm really DOES feel like a lot to me. I tested out the weights when I was last at Crappy Tire (tuesday) and the 10's felt heavy, while the 20's were "holy crap" and the 30's were "okay, no." I know I have weak upper arms, which is why I really want to be careful about how I ramp up the weight on them, that's all.

Jeremiah
07-08-2010, 08:50 AM
I'm pretty sure its a fact that you will burn more calories (faster metabolism)and build more muscles if you work them harder by doing smaller sets of heavier weights.

I know how you feel man, I was weak as fuck, but honestly cardio won't get you there as good as weights will.

But you seem like a determined person so since you already have your mind set on 10s you'll waste your money on them and wish you took our advice sooner

Vagabond142
07-08-2010, 09:01 AM
Let's derail this line of conversation before it degenerates into drama.

I've PM'd many of you who have had opinions on the weights, so I can get a subjective, individual assesment from each of you on my stated goals.

I really do appreciate the advice, and I realize that I AM a newb at this. Please don't think me an ass or a cop out for feleing naturally cautious about going from no exercise routine to a week of hard cardio conditioning with some light limbering exercises to 180 days of hard, intense workouts. I would love to reach day 180 and do a sexy flex pose with my abs showing and nice toned arms vs posting on day 14 that I tore a ligament or something. I'm just trying to find, and respect, my limits.

Clever
07-08-2010, 09:13 AM

Think of it this way:

Muscle tone is how much the muscle can endure, while overall muscle strength is how much the muscle can power through. Body builders go for bulk and size, while toners go for endurance.

I think that's about the best I can (in my own amateur, researched way) explain it :\ As I plan on running in a 10k race, it makes sense to focus my muscular development along the lines of endurance vs being a 20 ton tank rolling down the road

That's just it, you will not turn into a "20 ton tank" with p90x. I only suggest going heavier because the light weights will not be as effective in the long run, they are good for the exercises that suggest using lighter weights and you will want to have a 5 to 15 lbs. kicking around, but you only do those twice in a week(not including legs and back days) as compared to all the other exercises that you would want to have heavier weights for it to be effective. You will gain more from doing less reps, better form with heavier weights than more reps, light weights that you will "outgrow" right away.

EDIT: I am not saying go with 20 to 30lbs.'s, I know that you have a budget so with that in mind, I just didn't want you to be stuck with weights that will not work for you, but you mentioned you wanted to buy 10 and 15lbs. dumbbells, skip the 15's and go 20's IMO, it'll be a better investment in the long run.

max_boost
07-08-2010, 09:20 AM
Forget P90X and do this:

www.stronglifts.com

EVERYTHING you need to know about lifting/strength/dieting is on there bro.

You need to burn fat, muscles burn fat, in order to build muscles, you need strength training. None of this workout machine shit you see in the gym. I'm talking bench, press, squat, deads. Don't worry about bulking. In order to bulk you need calorie surplus.

You will get your "toned" body by simply cutting calories, cutting the junk, increasing the protein, strength training and some cardio.

Dead simple but not easy.

Let's face it, right now you are weak as fuck. LOL :eek: :rofl:

You need a strength program, not P90X. Do P90X later lol

You asked for my opinion, there it is.

lint
07-08-2010, 09:22 AM
This thread is full of win

1) grown man
2) 220 lbs
3) only 13 pushups to failure
4) justifying 10lb dumbbells to "know your limits"
5) doing P90X, not P90, not beach body, not Turbo Jam, but P90 EXTREME!!!!111111111!!!!111
6) has 7 pages up updates on what he's going to do, including plans after his SECOND round of P90X
7) hasn't even started yet!
8) has continuously used "toning" without adding "what chicks do in the gym"
9) already has excuses ready for not finishing it

1) death
2) medical intervention (if my dr says stop, I stop)
3) injury (which I will do my best to prevent)
10) abundance of bro science
11) max_boost

*popcorn*

Vagabond142
07-08-2010, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Clever

That's just it, you will not turn into a &quot;20 ton tank&quot; with p90x.

Well, that's the impression that I think people that suggested going super heavy were thinking, ie the bulkers. I don't want bulk. Ultimately, if I can even look half as good as this, I'll be happy:

http://mikegothard.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/brucelee.jpg

Notice, he doesn't have massive muscles, nor does he have huge size, but he made up for that with extremely focused tone and blinding speed. I ALSO HOLD NO ILLUSIONS THAT I'LL EVER BE AS AWESOME AS BRUCE LEE!! I'm just posting that picture as an example of what I see as the perfectly fit body.

Vagabond142
07-08-2010, 09:26 AM
Thank you for your contribution, lint :D (as useless as it was)

Hopefully that's low sodium popcorn, tho.

And you know what? 13 pushups to failure isn't anything to laugh at. It's better than the 2 pushups to failure I was able to do in 2009 before I got serious about trying to get into better health, and those two were shaky, wobbly armed pushups at that.

And as to the grown man bit? There are many, MANY more "grown men" in North America that can't even do one pushup.

So fuck you. I'm at least TRYING to improve my health, instead of spend the rest of my life in fear of being overweight, developing diabetes or some other health issue that comes from being out of shape. Focus on that.

max_boost
07-08-2010, 09:26 AM
LOL

This keeps getting better.

Bro, to look like Bruce Lee you need to shed all the motherfucking fat from your body! hahaha

Again, you are not going to develop bulging biceps from a few arm curls! You are not going to bulk. Do you even understand what bulking means? haha

Vagabond142
07-08-2010, 09:28 AM
LOL

This keeps getting better.

Bro, to look like Bruce Lee you need to shed all the motherfucking fat from your body! hahaha

Again, you are not going to develop bulging biceps from a few arm curls! You are not going to bulk. Do you even understand what bulking means? haha

max, please read the text UNDER the picture of Mr Lee. I even bolded the line I want you to read so it's easier to see.

cdnsir
07-08-2010, 09:28 AM
Hey man, I'm actually at week 7/12 of p90 (minus their diet, just tired to eat better and take more protein instead). I have to say there's definitely too much myths about this program. It's basically a hybrid of supersets and circuit training. So it will tone or it will increase mass depending on the weights you use. The old rule still applies, 8-10 to get full mass, 12-15 to firm up and get your veins to pop. All the routine does is add variety, and cut out most resting breaks in between sets. So you'll end up 1.keeping your heart rate up while 2. switching exercises often to give the muscles a break without you knowing.

Now regarding the weights, I have to say 10's are definitely on the low end. I use everything from 10-55lbs depending on what exercise it is. Now I'm just your avg-sized guy so I'm not a gym monkey or anything. The only thing in the program that I use 10s is for doing weighted shoulder circles at 20reps. I spend most of my time in the 20-30 range on the arms, and 30+ for the back. I know you're just starting out, but if you only have 10s, you will find it wayyy to light even if you're going for the 12-15 rep route.

Vagabond142
07-08-2010, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by cdnsir
Hey man, I'm actually at week 7/12 of p90 (minus their diet, just tired to eat better and take more protein instead). I have to say there's definitely too much myths about this program. It's basically a hybrid of supersets and circuit training. So it will tone or it will increase mass depending on the weights you use. The old rule still applies, 8-10 to get full mass, 12-15 to firm up and get your veins to pop. All the routine does is add variety, and cut out most resting breaks in between sets. So you'll end up 1.keeping your heart rate up while 2. switching exercises often to give the muscles a break without you knowing.

Now regarding the weights, I have to say 10's are definitely on the low end. I use everything from 10-55lbs depending on what exercise it is. Now I'm just your avg-sized guy so I'm not a gym monkey or anything. The only thing in the program that I use 10s is for doing weighted shoulder circles at 20reps. I spend most of my time in the 20-30 range on the arms, and 30+ for the back. I know you're just starting out, but if you only have 10s, you will find it wayyy to light even if you're going for the 12-15 rep route.

Thank you for an intelligent, and sourced, post. See people, THIS is the kind of feedback I like :D

It's just really confusing to a guy that is new to the whole weighted world. I'm trying to be knowledgeable about things, but there is so much conflicting evidence back and forwards on all aspects of weight training, toning, size, etc, that it almost requires a "How to read the fitness sites for dummies" book to make sense of it all.

Vagabond142
07-08-2010, 09:38 AM
Okay, let's stop the back and forth. I have enough feedback via PM's to make an informed decision now, thank you to all that helped.

I'm going to pickup BOTH 10's and 20's. It's a little more initial investment, and I'll have to dip into my supplementary funds for it, but if it means I can adjust as needed, then it's better all around. It also means I can do week 1 with 10's, week 2 feeling out the 20's, and using the 10's if I feel they are too much, and week 3+ at 20's.

Vagabond142
07-08-2010, 09:55 AM
Oh, and for those of you wondering why Max is being so nasty to me.... I will reveal that I pm'd him after the first couple of posts to KEEP TAUNTING ME. And he replied saying that he knows how huge a commitment I'm making and wishing me the best of luck. I know he knows what he's talking about when it comes to fitness, but having the asshole to rub one's results in the face in is a MIGHTY HUGE motivator :D

THe additional assholes weren't needed, but hey, it's Beyond, I kinda expected a post like Lint's on page 3, not page 7, so I'm kinda happy at the support I'm getting.

And Unknown303 has really been pouring in the support for my running aspirations in participating in the Mother's Day 10km run. It's 3/4's of a year away, but he's helping me figure out prices for indoor tracks, how to run safely in winter, proper gear, etc... valuable input!

I also should shout out to Darkane and Clever for helping me figure out what supplements to use with this program.

I also appreciate, actually, the assholes. The ones that are hedging bets on me failing. It's motivational. I just ask, that if any real money is bet, I get 10% of the winner's pot ;)

In all seriousness, I think the best line about the 180 days starting on Monday is said by Tony Horton himself:

"Do your best. Forget the rest. Bring it."

lint
07-08-2010, 10:18 AM
Thank you for your contribution, lint :D (as useless as it was)

It's for entertainment value, nothing more. I had been thinking that I would help you out, I've got some spare spin locks and weights in my garage. I even gave you some simple fucking advice, that eating 1000 cals less a day is easier than burning 1000 cals a day with exercise. And you post some snot ass reply about pointing to the P90X nutrition guide? All your updates are about how hardcore you are now, 10% bf or bust, planning what you're going to be doing after your first round of "toning" and second round of "ripping". How about you just shut the fuck up and get started?

And you know what? 13 pushups to failure isn't anything to laugh at. It's better than the 2 pushups to failure I was able to do in 2009 before I got serious about trying to get into better health, and those two were shaky, wobbly armed pushups at that.

And as to the grown man bit? There are many, MANY more &quot;grown men&quot; in North America that can't even do one pushup.

So fuck you. I'm at least TRYING to improve my health, instead of spend the rest of my life in fear of being overweight, developing diabetes or some other health issue that comes from being out of shape. Focus on that.

Gee, you're "fitter" than dead people. Congratulations. I have no qualms about you trying to improve your health. Again, congratulations with that decision. But stop with the fucking attention whoring UNTIL YOU'VE AT LEAST STARTED THE FUCKING PROGRAM!

Here's my prediction that you can use as motivation. You're going to keep up with the hourly updates on your preparation to begin. Eventually you're gonna start. Then it's going to get tough. You won't realize that cardio + p90x = overtraining. You're going to succumb to some kind of injury and that super extreme hardcoreness is what's finally going to defeat you and be the excuse why you don't finish.

Vagabond142
07-08-2010, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by lint

How about you just shut the fuck up and get started?

Monday.

Vagabond142
07-08-2010, 12:21 PM
OH THE HORROR another video! O_O

aexGqra1wJE

And egads! A new blog entry? OH NOES!

http://vagabond180days.blogspot.com/2010/07/t-minus-3-hill-sprints.html

I've changed things up a little... I'm switching my rest day from saturday to tomorrow just to give my legs a well deserved break, and I'm going to do a double circuit of my jogging route at a fast walk, so I still build up a sweat and burn some calories, but I don't over stress my legs. And on Sunday, Day 0, I do the fit test. Hoping for 16+ pushups, I've been working on them gently throughout the week, but I'll be happy matching my previous best of 13. They say you should be able to do 10 for P90X, so I'm at least there for that bit.

Also, vanilla flavored protein is fast becoming my favorite flavor! So yummy :D My question is... do the chocolate flavored ones taste more like a dark rich chocolate or like chocolate milk (lighter flavor)?

5hift
07-08-2010, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by lint
How about you just shut the fuck up and get started?

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=259744&perpage=20&highlight=&pagenumber=1

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&postid=2937810#post2937810

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=176292

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=106578

Vagabond142
07-08-2010, 01:29 PM
5hift:

I realize and recognize the skepticism. And I realize the past failures. You have done more in a single post, 5hift, to motivate me today than I have done to myself in the past week. Thank you for your post.

I am ready. I have the diet locked in (and it feels AWESOME), I have my conditioning week almost over, and I have an ironbound will this time. I have asked friends, family, and ESPECIALLY strangers (you, the Beyond masses), to keep me honest. On days where I will question what I'm doing, having no excuses will mean I will progress and better myself.

In the past, with those threads you linked, only the Canadian Forces prep was cut short by medical, namely a renal colic. The others... I found excuses to half ass or completely drop. It's on me, I failed those times, purely utterly me. This time, as I've said, I have told my friends to always greet me with "have you worked out today?" and if I say "no" I have told them to rail my ass about it until I get my workout done. I have told my family to track my progress independantly of my own records. And I am being totally transparent to the internet. I will have my workout sheets per day photographed, as well as the numbers entered into an excel spreadsheet, and both will be posted to the net for all to see. I am not going to let myself down this time, no way. I have no excuses to fall back on.

max_boost
07-08-2010, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by 5hift

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&amp;threadid=259744&amp;perpage=20&amp;highlight=&amp;pagenumber=1

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&amp;postid=2937810#post2937810

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&amp;threadid=176292

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&amp;threadid=106578

WOW.

Going back 5 years too.

AWESOME.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Sorry Vag, you have to start moving north of Vag (Jim Wendler)

Vagabond142
07-08-2010, 01:38 PM

Sorry Vag, you have to start moving north of Vag (Jim Wendler)

:dunno: :confused: :confused:

Unknown303
07-08-2010, 01:50 PM
For how much max_boost thugs it up online I can only imagine he's in the 5'2" range. :dunno:

max_boost
07-08-2010, 01:59 PM
For how much max_boost thugs it up online I can only imagine he's in the 5'2&quot; range. :dunno:

5'5 155lbs currently.

When I was squatting and doing deads, I was at 165lbs. My peak for 5 rep squats and deads was 225.

Bench at 135X5 and Press at 100X5

It's OK, I sit behind a computer to talk shit and I drive an NSX to compensate. :poosie: :thumbsup: :rofl:

Unknown303
07-08-2010, 02:02 PM

5'5 155lbs currently.

When I was squatting and doing deads, I was at 165lbs. My peak for 5 rep squats and deads was 225.

Bench at 135X5 and Press at 100X5

It's OK, I sit behind a computer to talk shit and I drive an NSX to compensate. :poosie: :thumbsup: :rofl:

:rofl: So true. I'm on the brink of driving a moped to work. With this mentality I should be pole vaulting my dick to work soon enough. ;)

Vagabond142
07-08-2010, 05:19 PM

:rofl: So true. I'm on the brink of driving a moped to work. With this mentality I should be pole vaulting my dick to work soon enough. ;)

o_O Why go for a moped when you can ride a scooter? :D Get one of those Honda frame only ones, I forget what they're called :P

PeterGTiR
07-08-2010, 05:38 PM
12) Planning on participating in a 10k marathon.

Vagabond142
07-08-2010, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by PeterGTiR
12) Planning on participating in a 10k marathon.

Nothing wrong with achieveable goals. Buddy of mine went from not running at all to doing the 10km Mother's Day in 68 minutes 31 seconds in the course of 5 months of training. I'm giving myself 8-9 months.

forkdork
07-08-2010, 06:08 PM
inb4 OP fails.

Unknown303
07-08-2010, 06:48 PM

o_O Why go for a moped when you can ride a scooter? :D Get one of those Honda frame only ones, I forget what they're called :P

You are referring to a ruckus. Sold my big bike today so not sure what to do now.. :cry:

Unknown303
07-08-2010, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by forkdork
inb4 OP fails.

In before forkdork posts something intelligent. :rofl:

forkdork
07-08-2010, 10:49 PM

In before forkdork posts something intelligent. :rofl:

What else do you post in a troll thread?

inb4 OP's 6th weight loss blog thread.

http://a715.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/7/l_ad4fe97669d99e90005703045b8ed7ba.jpg

Vagabond142
07-09-2010, 08:50 AM
Man I can't wait to rub my 30-60-90 day results per cycle in all the troll's faces :D As if I needed more motivation, but they're giving me some ^_^

forkdork
07-09-2010, 10:47 AM
Man I can't wait to rub my 30-60-90 day results per cycle in all the troll's faces :D As if I needed more motivation, but they're giving me some ^_^

Oh I have no doubt in you. You've already proven your ability to follow through in your other 4 threads.

max_boost
07-09-2010, 11:09 AM

Oh I have no doubt in you. You've already proven your ability to follow through in your other 4 threads. :werd: :rofl:

:devil:

Vagabond142
07-09-2010, 11:15 AM

Oh I have no doubt in you. You've already proven your ability to follow through in your other 4 threads.

The other 4 threads were me trying to go it alone, all by myself, no support, figuring out my own program. I'll admit, I didn't know what I was doing and I couldn't get myself into the right frame of mind to research and figure out. I failed, and it was a public failure too.

This time, I have a program that is easy to follow and hard to do (that's the point of it being challenging), I have the equipment, I have a support base (family and friends), and I have motivation (personal, as well as flinging shit into the eyes of trolls on day 90 :D). I'm not going to get ripped by day 90, this I know. I do know that I will have cut flab and will be stronger than I am now, in body if not also in mind.

I don't deny you your skepticism. Based on prior attempts at getting fit, you do have the weight of evidence (har har funny pun). So I welcome your skepticism, because it's just one more critic that I am going to prove utterly, completely wrong.

Boat
07-09-2010, 11:16 AM
Good luck,

Have you tried any of the P90X workouts yet? i.e plyo, chest,back, etc?

Sorry if this is a repeat question, but I don't want to pour through 9 pages.

Vagabond142
07-09-2010, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Boat
Good luck,

Have you tried any of the P90X workouts yet? i.e plyo, chest,back, etc?

Sorry if this is a repeat question, but I don't want to pour through 9 pages.

I've done plyometrics, ab ripper, x stretch and yoga x so far, just as trials. I actually REALLY like the x stretch and yoga x, because I've always been fairly flexible. Yoga X also got me going in a good sweat.

Plyo was good fun too, I did it to test out if I could modify the raised arm jumps (I can) because I have a low ceiling in my room, only about 10 feet (and I'm 6 foot dead on)

I didn't do any of the hardcore strength exercises (chest n back, back, shoulders and arms, etc) yet because I didn't have the equipment. I do now, so I'm ready to start on Monday. Last thing I need do is build my chinup station over the weekend, shouldn't take too long (maybe an afternoon?).

bigbadboss101
07-09-2010, 04:38 PM
Hey we are playing soccer tonight (Fri) 7pm in Confed. Very casual if you want to join. Also plan to play some ball hockey at the Beddington rink Saturday afternoon. Drop in, come on by.

Vagabond142
07-09-2010, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by bigbadboss101
Hey we are playing soccer tonight (Fri) 7pm in Confed. Very casual if you want to join. Also plan to play some ball hockey at the Beddington rink Saturday afternoon. Drop in, come on by.

Sweet. I can't make soccer tonight, but YGPM about the ball hockey tomorrow :)

msommers
07-10-2010, 12:57 PM

Do you guys do soccer regularly? Any other time or days?

bigbadboss101
07-10-2010, 04:51 PM
msommer (and vaga), we play soccer every Sunday at 2 at 24th Ave and 4th Street N.W. Of late there have been 2 games going on at once, co ed. Some of the guys are average, some below average and quite a few really good players. The good players would pass to the less skilled ones so thats not bad. Some of the gals are quite good too. One I spoked to used to be on the Canadian national team.

Anyways it is NOT on this week cuz of the World Cup finals. It will be back the week after for the summer. It's at the Ecole xxx school just East of the McDonalds/7-11.

Vagabond142
07-10-2010, 05:21 PM
keep us informed... if I can move next week :D (I may just be flat out SORE from the first week of P90X, but I'll be ready the week after for sure)

bigbadboss101
07-10-2010, 09:38 PM
how about the diet Vaga? Is that on track? I know some people who exercise regularly but their diets consist of a lot of junk food.

Vagabond142
07-11-2010, 05:41 AM
Diet is completely locked in. Eating 5 times a day, small meals, portion controlled. I haven't had soda since last year, and I can't get near a potato chip anymore without my stomach going ill on it's own. I have increase my veggie intake, have balanced out my sugars (ie evened out my fruit intake over the day vs bursting it all in in one go kinda thing), and cut sodium to an all time low (and I've done med-to-low sodium for the past year too).

And I feel awesome :D SO much more energy than before, and I don't suffer sugar crashes throughout the day.

msommers
07-11-2010, 09:11 AM
msommer (and vaga), we play soccer every Sunday at 2 at 24th Ave and 4th Street N.W. Of late there have been 2 games going on at once, co ed. Some of the guys are average, some below average and quite a few really good players. The good players would pass to the less skilled ones so thats not bad. Some of the gals are quite good too. One I spoked to used to be on the Canadian national team.

Anyways it is NOT on this week cuz of the World Cup finals. It will be back the week after for the summer. It's at the Ecole xxx school just East of the McDonalds/7-11.

Cool, I'll see you guys next week.

Vagabond142
07-11-2010, 10:54 AM
Weill definitely see if my body is up to it next sunday. 24th n 4th is actually a fairly close bike ride for me too, like 10 minutes (I live a hop, skip and a jump between Aberhart High and the U of C), so if I make it a warmup ride, get there, play a game, and bike it home, can we say cardio boys n girls? :D

bigbadboss101
07-11-2010, 09:44 PM
We are all trying to not look like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llFDn2iyWOU&feature=player_embedded

Vagabond142
07-11-2010, 09:50 PM
We are all trying to not look like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llFDn2iyWOU&amp;feature=player_embedded

that is probably the singlemost disturbing video I have seen this year o___o

Stephen81
07-11-2010, 10:12 PM
in on updates. tomorrow's the big day :thumbsup:

Vagabond142
07-11-2010, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by stephen_haxton
in on updates. tomorrow's the big day :thumbsup:

Yeppers! I didn't get the fit test done today, so I'll be doing it tomorrow morning. Just a busy as hell Sunday building stuff with dad, moving it in place, hauling engines around the garage, etc. So tomorrow will be a double whammy day 0/day 1 :P

(including new, gory day 1 before pictures, and the day 1 measurements o_O)

cdnsir
07-12-2010, 10:09 AM
So what's going on now? We had hourly updates for the past 2 weeks BEFORE you started. Today's the actual big day and we still don't have anything yet?

Vagabond142
07-12-2010, 10:14 AM
I just got in from biking :) Did a nice medium paced day, decent distance ride (I estimate probably 23-26 km at a medium pace), got a good hour of cardio in.

I'm going to let my body calm down some, then it's fit test time :D (because you're supposed to do the fit test starting from a normal resting state)

Clever
07-12-2010, 11:30 AM
No turning back now, looking forward to updates, chest and back for me as well today, fun stuff. Hydrate and take breaks, you'll do fine.:thumbsup:

Vagabond142
07-12-2010, 11:33 AM
Here are the OFFICIAL MEASUREMENTS (wild cheering in the background)

DAY 1:

Body fat: 25.15%
Weight: 217.1 lbs (in skivvies)
Chest (cm, bared): 106.5
Waist (cm, bared): 105
Hips (cm): 103.5
Right thigh (cm, bared): 59
Left thigh (cm, bared): 58
Right bicep (cm, flexed, at peak): 34
Left bicep (cm, flexed, at peak): 34

Official Day 1 "BEFORE" photos:

Front relaxed:
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk13/Vagabond142/IMG_0793.jpg

Front flexed:
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk13/Vagabond142/IMG_0794.jpg

Side profile relaxed (aka el tubbo del lardo shot):
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk13/Vagabond142/IMG_0795.jpg

Back relaxed:
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk13/Vagabond142/IMG_0796.jpg

Back flexed:
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk13/Vagabond142/IMG_0797.jpg

Front "ab twist":
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk13/Vagabond142/IMG_0798.jpg

Fit test and day 1 sheets to be uploaded this afternoon after workout (will be doing the fit test as a warmup to the actual workout)

cdnsir
07-12-2010, 12:07 PM
Other than the gut, your measurements aren't actually that bad. With a bit of determination, I think this workout should give you the results that you wanted. Keep up the good work!

almerick
07-12-2010, 02:11 PM
Good luck!

Btw, nice Evangelion and Mazinger Z (I think) posters :thumbsup:

Vagabond142
07-12-2010, 02:45 PM
Fit test starting now, to be followed immediately with Chest and Back and Ab Ripper X!

Originally posted by almerick
Btw, nice Evangelion and Mazinger Z (I think) posters :thumbsup:

Great Mazinger, but Mazinger Z is close enough ^_^ I love my wall scrolls, I got the Mazinger one for a buck at a clearance, have never seen it before or after that one time, so I consider myself lucky to have it.

Kobe
07-12-2010, 04:08 PM
Fit test starting now, to be followed immediately with Chest and Back and Ab Ripper X!

Great Mazinger, but Mazinger Z is close enough ^_^ I love my wall scrolls, I got the Mazinger one for a buck at a clearance, have never seen it before or after that one time, so I consider myself lucky to have it.

GL man, When I started working out a few months ago it was because my friends "MADE" me, now I feel that I need to go regularly to the gym..

403Gemini
07-12-2010, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Kobe

GL man, When I started working out a few months ago it was because my friends &quot;MADE&quot; me, now I feel that I need to go regularly to the gym..

It really is a lifestyle thing. When you go for 2 weeks straight, and realize how great you feel, it's totally worth it.

Honestly if I can't hit the gym, I do about 45-60 min of free weights at home (bench press and diff dumbell exercises) and finish it with ab ripper x (I have all of the exercises memorized and also written down so I don't need the DVD).

Vagabond142
07-12-2010, 04:33 PM
Workout 1 of 90

COMPLETED.... **WITHOUT** pausing the dvd

:thumbsup:

I can't type much now, muscles are going "NUUUU LET US REST!"

So I'm gonna go plop my ass into the tub and soak.

Here's the workout sheet:
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk13/Vagabond142/IMG_0807.jpg

Here's my shirt after the workout:
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk13/Vagabond142/IMG_0806.jpg

Here's the vid:

Tng02NDihpI

Fuck you all, I'm gonna go have a bath

:burnout:

max_boost
07-12-2010, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

It really is a lifestyle thing.

BINGO!

So no amount of motivation from friends/family/blogging/Beyond will matter. Comes down to you and only you. But after all the ridicule I've laid on VB142 before day 1, he better finish or else the wrath that will be bestowed upon him, he might as well quit and sign up on a new user title. :rofl:

(Again, take all as motivation. XL Vogglio's pizza should you get to day 30). :thumbsup: :devil:

gqmw
07-12-2010, 04:53 PM
Good job, it will get easier as you get into the routine of working out and get used to the exercises.

Vagabond142
07-12-2010, 05:00 PM

BINGO!

So no amount of motivation from friends/family/blogging/Beyond will matter. Comes down to you and only you. But after all the ridicule I've laid on VB142 before day 1, he better finish or else the wrath that will be bestowed upon him, he might as well quit and sign up on a new user title. :rofl:

(Again, take all as motivation. XL Vogglio's pizza should you get to day 30). :thumbsup: :devil:

Dear Sir,

Fuck you. :D I am going to finish, no matter how much it hurts. I was screaming almost at the top of my lungs to get that last (bad) dive bomber pushup through.

I only pushed to about 85% of my max effort, mostly from reading the P90X forums where they say "ease into it your first week, go balls to the wall thereafter." Still, even with 10 lbs weights, getting those last few back rows and lawnmowers right after doing pullups (or band exercises this time) was brutal.

I feel the burn.

And I want more!

Plyometrics tomorrow!

max_boost
07-12-2010, 05:11 PM
Nice. ONLY 89 more days to go. :werd: :thumbsup: :rofl:

Vagabond142
07-12-2010, 05:19 PM
Nice. ONLY 89 more days to go. :werd: :thumbsup: :rofl:

Well, for this round, yes. Overall, 179 days left and it STILL is hard to type... I'm typing at about 1/3 my normal speed -_-