PDA

View Full Version : Used Lot

derpderp
07-03-2010, 12:18 AM
I've been looking for a new car (new for me lol), I've bought privately in the past, but this is the first time i've ever bought from a lot, or might buy from one, as a car I am intrested in is on one. Something makes me worry about buying from one though, I feel like all the horror stories come from these places. Seller claims to have an inspection report, but I take that with a grain of salt.

What are some tips to be sure I am not getting shafted? What kind of site can I get a instant car history report? Would it work through my cellular phone? I also read not to buy it if they want to write "as is" on the bill of sale, which makes sense, but what exactly should I have them write down?

I'm sure these threads pop up often, but thanks for the advice.

dj_rice
07-03-2010, 12:19 AM
Carproof.com for the car history report.

And I would not buy from independant used car lots, I'd prefer buying from the bigger name lots if I had to buy from a lot.

craigcd
07-03-2010, 12:24 AM
I wouldnt buy anything used off the lot- wait until you can find something private. If it doesnt feel right go with your instincts and keep looking.

davidI
07-03-2010, 12:57 AM
I've been to the auctions a couple of times and most of the buyers were buying to stock their used car lots. I'd say it's a gamble. As dj_rice mentioned, I'd prefer to buy from a bigger name lot (dealer) than an independant.

nixrx8
07-03-2010, 11:12 AM
Carproof report and your own independant mechanical inspection. If there's nothing to hide they shouldn't have a problem releasing the vehicle to your mechanic for a look over!

T-Dubbs
07-03-2010, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by nixrx8
Carproof report and your own independant mechanical inspection. If there's nothing to hide they shouldn't have a problem releasing the vehicle to your mechanic for a look over!
most lots will give the vehicle out for an inspection for a small deposit. i know mine does
alot of dealers do buy auction cars, but if u can find the ones that only buy from franchise lots like me, you would be better off.
all of our stock is trade ins...

1slw4dr
07-03-2010, 11:35 AM
what kind of car are you looking for??

911fever
07-04-2010, 06:53 PM
what type of car you looking for? Go the US and import!

ragu
07-04-2010, 07:01 PM
^^ you can only save on specific cars and not everyone is ready to go through hassle to travel down to US. (It is way easier to import if you live in Toronto vs Calgary)

These days I wouldn't hesitate to buy from the dealer, make sure you get a car proof report and get an inspection done. A lot of private sellers think their car is worth almost 1.5X to 2X of what it is actually worth.

1. Go to dealer
2. Put inspection as a condition
3. Lowball
4. Get inspection done
5. Win

911fever
07-04-2010, 07:18 PM
^
I assumed his car was over 10k, if not, not really worth the hassle. And Calgary isn't that that that far from the border vs Edmonton or whatever