PDA

View Full Version : Vin Etching

Mys73ri0
07-03-2010, 10:29 PM
Is vin etching mandatory when you purchase a new car?

I was at a few dealerships today and they all said it's mandatory. I even clarified with "Is it required by law or do I have the option to purchase a vehicle without Vin Etching?"

I googled a little but nothing concrete...

Pollywog
07-03-2010, 10:36 PM
I've never heard of it being mandatory by law. Last car I bought new was in 2006 at T&T Honda, and there was no vin etching on the windows.

I have however heard of dealerships using it as a bonus $250 on the final sale, with the excuse that it is mandatory as per their warranty coverage.

dj_rice
07-03-2010, 11:15 PM
I work at Nissan and it is an extra option to purchase so I would assume no it is not mandatory. And for us, we don't etch on the windows unless what I am thinking of is something different. We place a sticker with the VIN on the drivers door, passengers door, one in the trunk area on the frame and one under the hood.

01RedDX
07-04-2010, 11:19 AM

Klobi-1-Kinobi
07-04-2010, 11:25 AM
I think it is a scam to squeeze a few more bucks out of the new car buyer. Afaik insurance premiums are not affected and really who wants their car back after its been stolen.

ExtraSlow
07-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Klobi-1-Kinobi
I think it is a scam to squeeze a few more bucks out of the new car buyer. This

gqmw
07-04-2010, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Klobi-1-Kinobi
I think it is a scam to squeeze a few more bucks out of the new car buyer. Afaik insurance premiums are not affected and really who wants their car back after its been stolen.

Exactly.

That.Guy.S30
07-04-2010, 12:52 PM
when i bought my toyota, the salesman said it was manditory. when i talked to the finance manager, he said it was an option.

911fever
07-04-2010, 07:00 PM
In Ontario you can't add anything on top of the price legally. The price advertised has to include every single cost, whether it be Nitrogen in the tires, etch, doc fees, admin fees, reconditioning fees, etc. Everything has to be listed in the price. We can sell nitro and etch as an option on a new car, but it's definiteley not mandatory and we can get into a lot of trouble by OMVIC if we sell a car that doesn't follow these guidelines.

bignerd
07-04-2010, 09:05 PM
Bought a new car in 08, declined the etching, came with it already done. Didn't pay for it. If it was mandatory would your insurance company not want proof of it being done?

Never heard of it being law.... I call bs.

s2k_boi
07-05-2010, 10:13 AM
Definately not mandatory and a rip off! I got my 2010 accord recently and didn't have to pay for it. Few hundred above car cost canada and they even activated it for no charge.

masoncgy
07-05-2010, 11:10 AM
It's a cash grab for a product that really has no value to most people.

It's like administration/documentation fees... really... it costs ME $300+ for your staff to conduct day-to-day business?

That's why I gave up buying from dealerships... you purchase a vehicle at a marked up price & then get harassed to purchase a whole bunch of expensive add-ons on top of taxes & fees.

Redlyne_mr2
07-05-2010, 11:14 AM
It's not mandatory by law but a business is allowed to make it mandatory as part of their selling price. Some dealerships etch every new car that comes in and then it's up to the customer as to whether or not they want the etch number registered. Companies like TD and RBC give you a small break on your insurance premiums if your vehicle has been etched.