PDA

View Full Version : Edmonton: Italian suggestions

colsankey
07-04-2010, 10:31 AM
Did a little reading and there's a few threads, but since restraunts come and go and places quality changes from time to time I'm looking for some updated info.

Planning a stag soon in Edmonton and looking for some Italian restaunt suggestions. The groom doesnt want to go to the peelers or anything. So I need a place ideally that would be a suitable for a later dinner and then some drinks into the evening.

Onassis
07-04-2010, 11:00 AM
Il Forno is pretty probably one of the better italian restarants up in Edmonton.

dj_rice
07-04-2010, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Onassis
Il Forno is pretty probably one of the better italian restarants up in Edmonton.

Piccolinos was recommended by a few friends to me, they have good fresh pasta.

nonlinear
07-04-2010, 11:58 AM
if you want pizza, best in the city (by far) is Regazzi (Pizza Boys). haven't had their pasta though.

http://www.ragazzibistro.ca

this is a family pizzaria, so don't expect all of the pretension found at the "upscale" italian restaurants that are usually recommended on beyond. but as I said, you can't find a better pizza in edmonton.

boarderfatty
07-04-2010, 12:39 PM
Il Forno is pretty good, Piccalino's has by far the best Italian seafood dished, I really love their calamari, I am not sure where they get it, or their preparation, but there is no rubbery texture or fishy taste. I haven't tasted calamari this fresh unless I was by an ocean, not in and locked AB. Tasty Tomato had the best Beef or chicken Italian dishes, their veal is the best in the city bar none imo, they also have a good calamari appetizer done without batter in a tomato sauce which is top notch, and their bruscetta it really nice as well(They grow most of their vegetables herbs and spices organically on the family farm) most noodles are made fresh every day, and they have a limited supply taramisu for desert which the owner makes with fresh ladyfingers every morning. Both Piccalino's and Tasty Tomato don't have that "baller" atmosphere with dark colors, rich fabrics and big stylish furniture, it has a traditional family owned restaurant feel. With Tasty there are things that are not on the menu but they do offer. they will custom make any pasta you want, the taramisu they are known for is not on the menu, or their bruscetta and is by request only.

If you want the "baller" atmosphere and price to go along with it, I would suggest Sorentino's It has a pretty good atmosphere and the food is pretty good, but I have a hard time spending up to $30 for a pasta dish. It can be pretty romantic though if thats what you want. It has alot of heavy fabric and leather drapes and curtains which helps keep the noise down quite a bit for quieter more intimate conversations.

If you want to stay around the Whyte ave area, there is Ciante's which is very inexpensive, but you get what you pay for, the quality isn't quite there compared to some other Italian restaurants but is well worth the price imo for cheap italian food at a good location.

Lastly there is the Italian Pasta Kitchen which I would say atmosphere is somewhere between an Olive Garden and Old Spaghetti Factory, but with much better pasta.

nonlinear
07-04-2010, 12:57 PM
^^great post btw.

boarderfatty
07-04-2010, 01:24 PM
^^^ Wow, I am surprised you would say that, I thought if I enjoyed Churrascaria which you said is sooooo Passe, that you might believe Italian food was so last year as well, since people have been enjoying it in Alberta for like the last 50 years.

nonlinear
07-04-2010, 01:35 PM
i think i said it was "passe as fuck."

:rofl:

colsankey
07-04-2010, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. defiantely looking for quality food and some atmosphere over other criterias like price. I "just" want an amazing meal, and a good atmosphere we can drink and enjoy ourselves in vs trying to find another night spot.

boarderfatty
07-04-2010, 11:01 PM
If you are looking for drinks and atmosphere I would suggest sorentino's south or downtown since it is a little more trendy and has better drink menu's. Tasty and Picallino's are more eatery. If you want location go for Chiante's since it is right on Whyte ave and in the middle of everything. Tasty and Picallino's are kinda in the middle of nowhere.