PDA

View Full Version : New FJ Cruiser Pricing

Impreza
07-04-2010, 05:13 PM
Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a new FJ Cruiser with the Offroad package. Has anyone bought recently? I am mainly wondering what kind of price I can negotiate. Is Toyota somewhat flexible in price negotiations?

Thanks,

rob the knob
07-04-2010, 05:23 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

BlkMaxima
07-04-2010, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by rob the knob
i like look of this vehicle.
i would buy.
what is your intended purpose for this vehcile? it concerns me this is show and no go. is this better than other machine that no true offroad?

Types with an Accent...

:rofl: :rofl:

InRich
07-04-2010, 05:31 PM
looks like a bathtub on 4 wheels to me :barf:

Isaiah
07-04-2010, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by InRich
looks like a bathtub on 4 wheels to me :barf:
You have it confused with a PT cruiser. He's talking about the FJ.

Impreza
07-04-2010, 05:41 PM
I accepted a job offer that requires me to do a lot of highway driving into the field. So in addition to the highway driving, I will be doing a lot of driving in muddy terrain. So I need an SUV.

Aleks
07-04-2010, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Impreza
Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a new FJ Cruiser with the Offroad package. Has anyone bought recently? I am mainly wondering what kind of price I can negotiate. Is Toyota somewhat flexible in price negotiations?

Thanks,

When I was looking at Rav4s they were quoting me cost + $750 which was about $1500 off msrp on the V6 model. I am not sure if the FJ cruiser is in more demand (I'm guessing not) so a CCC report should be useful in finding out what type of markup there is on these things.

That.Guy.S30
07-04-2010, 07:16 PM
john, if its highway driving, get a subaru outback or forester. i miss my subaru so much when i drive this POS. in winter on an icy highway, its a bitch even on the nokian hakkas.

on the highway gas mileage is shit. there are no heated seat or mirror options. auto is rwd, with 4wd on the fly with a max speed of 80km. the ground clearance is probably on par with a outback.

i got mine for msrp.

GTi-RS
07-04-2010, 07:37 PM
[i]highway gas mileage is shit [/B]

ExtraSlow
07-04-2010, 08:35 PM
I accepted a job offer that requires me to do a lot of highway driving into the field. So in addition to the highway driving, I will be doing a lot of driving in muddy terrain. So I need an SUV. This vehicle wouldn't be my first choice.

Subaru would be a good choice, but if it was me, I'd go for a two or three year old domestic 1/2 ton crew cab pickup.
here's why:
- similar fuel economy. Heck, 1/2 ton Chev and GMC pickups with the 5.3L engine get the same highway mileage. Ford is rated only a little worse.
- Longer wheelbase, which is more comfortable on the backroads. Both the F150 and Chev/GMC 1500's are great on rough roads, even when empty. come standard with stability control, which is excellent.
- more useful. Even with the short bed, you'll find things to haul around. If you buy the crew cab, that's a lot of interior room to keep your boots and gear warm.
- Super common, so it'll be easy to get it fixed if you run into trouble in buttfuck nowhere. Every shitthole town has someone who can fix a domestic pickup. Toyota are a whole other story.
- Cheaper. Pretty easy to find one for $25k. That Toyota is $30k or more, depending on options. An Extra $5k buys a lot of beer.

Awd-Tsi
07-04-2010, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by BlkMaxima

Types with an Accent...

:rofl: :rofl: yeah look at the rest of his posts... either a troll or needs to learn english

tentacles
07-04-2010, 09:49 PM
The 07-08 have problems with the frames cracking (http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/problems-dealer-service/33440-engine-bay-body-rips.html).

All show no go, popular with older Asian women I guess.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/gallery/data/500/415.jpg

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/gallery/data/500/225.jpg

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/gallery/data/500/149.jpg

BerserkerCatSplat
07-04-2010, 09:52 PM
I'd completely avoid FJ Cruisers due to that frame/apron problem. Dealbreaker for me.

Darell_n
07-04-2010, 09:55 PM
Are they a uni-body? Looks like it to me. I was considering one in the future but not if this is true.

tentacles
07-04-2010, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Darell_n
Are they a uni-body? Looks like it to me. I was considering one in the future but not if this is true.

No, BOF/Live axle, based off the 4runner.

Have you guys seen the new Grand Cherokee? It pretty much blows all the Japanese stuff out of the water. Much nicer interior/exterior, better engine, IRS with optional air suspension.

Darell_n
07-04-2010, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by tentacles

No, BOF/Live axle, based off the 4runner.

Have you guys seen the new Grand Cherokee? It pretty much blows all the Japanese stuff out of the water. Much nicer interior/exterior, better engine, IRS with optional air suspension.

My interest was mainly with getting a 5-speed, but the new SRT-8 Cherokee should be sweet.

That.Guy.S30
07-04-2010, 10:27 PM
The 07-08 have problems with the frames cracking (http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/problems-dealer-service/33440-engine-bay-body-rips.html).

All show no go, popular with older Asian women I guess.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/gallery/data/500/415.jpg

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/gallery/data/500/225.jpg

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/gallery/data/500/149.jpg

its only a small percentage of owners with the famous fender bulge. toyota warrenty's it, also they have a redesigned fender brace for the 08 and up that have not shown cracks.

BerserkerCatSplat
07-04-2010, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Thi_Thi Subs

its only a small percentage of owners with the famous fender bulge. toyota warrenty's it, also they have a redesigned fender brace for the 08 and up that have not shown cracks.

And yet only a small percentage of FJC owners actually wheel the things. Toyota screwed up the design, period. The fact they even had to hack together a patch-fix makes me hugely wary of the FJC's lifespan when actually used offroad.

Additionally, your assertion that 08's are not having apron problems is incorrect. I believe the first apron revision didn't occur until mid-08 build dates. Toyota then announced a second revision for the '10s, so clearly the 08 fix didn't work. The further downside is that with the stronger aprons, there are now reports of the '10s having the inner fenders breaking instead.

Aleks
07-05-2010, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
This vehicle wouldn't be my first choice.

Subaru would be a good choice, but if it was me, I'd go for a two or three year old domestic 1/2 ton crew cab pickup.
here's why:
- similar fuel economy. Heck, 1/2 ton Chev and GMC pickups with the 5.3L engine get the same highway mileage. Ford is rated only a little worse.
- Longer wheelbase, which is more comfortable on the backroads. Both the F150 and Chev/GMC 1500's are great on rough roads, even when empty. come standard with stability control, which is excellent.
- more useful. Even with the short bed, you'll find things to haul around. If you buy the crew cab, that's a lot of interior room to keep your boots and gear warm.
- Super common, so it'll be easy to get it fixed if you run into trouble in buttfuck nowhere. Every shitthole town has someone who can fix a domestic pickup. Toyota are a whole other story.
- Cheaper. Pretty easy to find one for $25k. That Toyota is $30k or more, depending on options. An Extra $5k buys a lot of beer.

:thumbsup:

If you're going to be spending lots of time in the field this is the way to go.

ExtraSlow
07-05-2010, 09:34 AM
I probably spend a couple months a year in the field, anywhere between Rocky Mountain House and Fort Nelson. I rent my vehicles, so I get to try out pretty much every different version of Truck and SUV there is. I have given this a lot of thought, as I considered taking a full-time field job a while back.

There are several guys on here who spend a lot of time in the field, hopefully they can chime in as well.

911fever
07-05-2010, 09:44 AM
get the new Cherokee. Looks great for onroad and offroad!

tentacles
07-05-2010, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Thi_Thi Subs

So do they give you a new truck under warranty? Because it looks like a truck with that kind of damage to the chassis would be a write-off/salvage.

So here's a list of reasons to buy the FJ Cruiser:

1) If you get the newer updated/reinforced version, it probably won't fold up like a cardboard box after 2 years.

2)?

inline6turbo
07-05-2010, 09:54 AM
The gas mileage is worse then a H2, trust me, you'll hate it. We drove one for a couple weeks until we got frustated filling it so often.

Brutal. :thumbsdow

Cos
07-05-2010, 09:59 AM
Can't believe no one asked this. What sort of field work? Driving around in irrigation? Driving to camp? Or good ol' lease roads. On a side note I love my f150 and test drove an fj when they first came out. Very 'rugged'

Redlyne_mr2
07-05-2010, 11:26 AM
Having owned one of these trucks I can say it's one of the best vehicles I've ever owned. Mine had the offroad package so it had the upgraded mud and snow tires as well. The truck is super smooth and was great in the city and on the highway. I loved the fact that it didn't have carpet, made it super easy to clean. Last year when we had our massive snow storms the truck just plowed through everything. The wide stance of the truck made for awesome stability when towing as well. A couple of years ago highway 2 iced up so badly you could see your vehicles reflection in road. I towed my mr2 on a car trailer back from Edmonton with my FJ without any issues while others were hitting the ditch. Gas mileage is fine 450-500kms out of a tank of fuel that costs $55-60 to fill, pretty cheap IMO for the type of truck that it is. My mom bought an 08 grand cherokee limited the same time I bought my FJ. It depreciated much quicker and did not nearly age as well. Lots of rattles after the first year of ownership. She also had the pleasure of dealing with the fine Chrysler dealerships in our city. :thumbsdow

I'm not sure how you can say the H2 get's better mileage, it's heavier with a v8 engine. It has a larger fuel tank but real life fuel consumption on an H2 is 19-23L/100kms.

inline6turbo
07-05-2010, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Having owned one of these trucks I can say it's one of the best vehicles I've ever owned. Mine had the offroad package so it had the upgraded mud and snow tires as well. The truck is super smooth and was great in the city and on the highway. I loved the fact that it didn't have carpet, made it super easy to clean. Last year when we had our massive snow storms the truck just plowed through everything. The wide stance of the truck made for awesome stability when towing as well. A couple of years ago highway 2 iced up so badly you could see your vehicles reflection in road. I towed my mr2 on a car trailer back from Edmonton with my FJ without any issues while others were hitting the ditch. Gas mileage is fine 450-500kms out of a tank of fuel that costs $55-60 to fill, pretty cheap IMO for the type of truck that it is. My mom bought an 08 grand cherokee limited the same time I bought my FJ. It depreciated much quicker and did not nearly age as well. Lots of rattles after the first year of ownership. She also had the pleasure of dealing with the fine Chrysler dealerships in our city. :thumbsdow

I'm not sure how you can say the H2 get's better mileage, it's heavier with a v8 engine. It has a larger fuel tank but real life fuel consumption on an H2 is 19-23L/100kms.

Well I'd take your opinion over mine. I only drove it for a little while, could have had something wrong with it giving it that kind of gas mileage that I didn't know about. But yes, it was way worse then the H2.

:(

Impreza
07-05-2010, 01:25 PM
I am looking at the FJ simply because I want a reliable SUV. I will be driving it to the site but won't be taking it on any crazy terrain. Mud is probably the worst it will see haha. I just simply like the look of the FJ. Thanks for everyone's opinions though!

I'm also looking at the F150 now. They look pretty damn nice now. Much improved over the last couple of years. I'm looking to lease for tax purposes and saw that the lease rate for the F150 is 8.99%?? WTF??

Aleks
07-05-2010, 01:42 PM
I am looking at the FJ simply because I want a reliable SUV. I will be driving it to the site but won't be taking it on any crazy terrain. Mud is probably the worst it will see haha. I just simply like the look of the FJ. Thanks for everyone's opinions though!

I'm also looking at the F150 now. They look pretty damn nice now. Much improved over the last couple of years. I'm looking to lease for tax purposes and saw that the lease rate for the F150 is 8.99%?? WTF??

Most domestics pretty much cut out leasing a few years ago or have rates from 9-12%.

Instead they have $10-15K discounts on trucks most of the time if you finance or pay cash.

5hift
07-05-2010, 01:46 PM

Just take a new F-150 King Ranch or Platinum for a test drive and you will forget about the FJ

ExtraSlow
07-05-2010, 01:54 PM
Flat floor in the rear seat of the F150 makes it very useful for cargo as well.

tentacles
07-05-2010, 02:22 PM
The FJ Cruiser is a "compact SUV", like somewhere in between a RAV4 and a 4Runner. It has a 108in wheelbase compared to 126in for the smallest F150 and 122in for the H2. RAV4 is 104in. The fuel economy is OK, better than the F150 or H2 because it's a much smaller vehicle.

bignerd
07-05-2010, 03:51 PM
I thought the FJ only took premium gas too?

Redlyne_mr2
07-05-2010, 06:21 PM
Not the 2010s.

That.Guy.S30
07-05-2010, 10:54 PM

So do they give you a new truck under warranty? Because it looks like a truck with that kind of damage to the chassis would be a write-off/salvage.

So here's a list of reasons to buy the FJ Cruiser:

1) If you get the newer updated/reinforced version, it probably won't fold up like a cardboard box after 2 years.

2)?

those are on the fenders braces. not on the chassis itself. what toyota does is they replace both fender braces with new updated models that do not crack/bulge. there has been 2 attemps by toyota on these fender braces. it seems like the 09+ dont have the problem.

The FJ Cruiser is a "compact SUV", like somewhere in between a RAV4 and a 4Runner. It has a 108in wheelbase compared to 126in for the smallest F150 and 122in for the H2. RAV4 is 104in. The fuel economy is OK, better than the F150 or H2 because it's a much smaller vehicle.

the FJ is more of a midsize. its actually bigger than a 4runner.

Originally posted by bignerd
I thought the FJ only took premium gas too?

premium gas only for "performance". toyota has sent out a letter saying we can use regular.

Impreza
07-09-2010, 12:11 AM
So I've been looking around at other options. I like the F150's as well now. Any other opinions on cars, new and used, that I can look into?

I spoke with my accountant and apparently since I am reimbursed for mileage, I can't claim my lease payments anyways. So new or used will work. I am looking for an SUV that is reliable, safe, and comfortable for a lot of highway driving.