PDA

View Full Version : My first "classic"car,paint opinions needed

corsvette
07-04-2010, 05:36 PM
I just could not resist buying this,still don't know why.

Its a 1971 Cadillac Eldorado convertible.
-18.6 ft long
-8.2l 500 cubic inch V8 365hp 535ft lbs torque
-front wheel drive.

Its in very good shape for its age,allmost zero rust,its from Texas.

The car was repainted its original colour once in its life,now i would love to repaint it black or white,what do you guys think?The green keeps the car looking original and correct for the era it was built,but as you can see today it looks ugly and dated.

I don't want to ruin the resale value,but it may be more desirable in a more common colour,i don't know either way as this is by far the oldest car i have ever owned.Who knows with my car A.D.D if i will even keep it long enough to bother with a repaint,but so far the old pig's growing on me!

Open to any opinions!
http://i49.tinypic.com/fv9zxi.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/16c1hro.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/21kjw45.jpg

Boostzilla
07-04-2010, 05:41 PM
I think it would look awesome in black

Hakkola
07-04-2010, 06:03 PM
:werd: Black

rob the knob
07-04-2010, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by corsvette

-8.2l 500 cubic inch V8 365hp 535ft lbs torque
-front wheel drive.

http://i49.tinypic.com/fv9zxi.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/16c1hro.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/21kjw45.jpg

front drive!!!!????!!?!???!!?!!!

possible?

corsvette
07-04-2010, 06:16 PM
^^^yep,she's front drive, notably these cars had no torque steer even with over 500ft lbs worth.

911fever
07-04-2010, 06:49 PM
black for sure. Black keeps it resale best too

That.Guy.S30
07-04-2010, 07:22 PM
if you dont want to ruin resale, then leave the paint or paint it the same color.

believe it or not but factory colors are more desirable to collectors.

Alak
07-04-2010, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Thi_Thi Subs
if you dont want to ruin resale, then leave the paint or paint it the same color.

:werd: I think a future buyer for this car would be a collector, and it would probably be best to leave it that colour.

But on the other hand, black caddys are sick.

turbotrip
07-04-2010, 07:39 PM
white

spacerz
07-04-2010, 07:41 PM
+1 for black!

D'z Nutz
07-04-2010, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Thi_Thi Subs

This. Actually, I prefer the green over the other two colours. Just polish and wax the hell out of it to make it glow and you'd have a real head turner.

FiveFreshFish
07-04-2010, 07:43 PM
^^^yep,she's front drive, notably these cars had no torque steer even with over 500ft lbs worth.

Same platform as the Olds Toronado?

kamakurakid
07-04-2010, 07:45 PM
Keep the paint the original colour, it is what makes it even more unique. Nothing worse than a car repainted and a different colour on the firewall, inner door and inner trunk. For what it is worth, I like the colour combination.

How many of these cars came with your paint and interior colours?

redsrt4
07-04-2010, 07:48 PM
i like the original color..

thrasher22
07-04-2010, 07:53 PM
A deep ruby red would look killer

Tik-Tok
07-04-2010, 08:07 PM
If you're going to do a proper repaint (everything), black is the way to go, or two tone... a old friend just picked this beauty up a few weeks ago :drool:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/TykTauk/65wildcat.jpg

StreetRacerX
07-04-2010, 08:19 PM
If your going to repaint I'd say go black and have EVERYTHING that is green repainted so there's no odd spots.

garnet
07-04-2010, 08:26 PM
+1 keep original color
for cruising look at getting a set of nice rollers

corsvette
07-04-2010, 08:56 PM
Glad to see lots of you like the original colour!It was a optional "firemist" paint colour,i'll just try a good cut/polish and see what happens,the colour is beginning to grow on me.I just don't want to totaly ruin the originality of the car.Black would make the car look sick though.

Unfortunatley fitting this model of car for any aftermarket rims is very costly,because of the front drive the rims have a crazy positive offset,makes for having to go with a custom set of rims to look right,companys make rims for these cars but cost a small fortune.

Graham_A_M
07-04-2010, 09:05 PM
Flat black with some nice rims. Gloss would be cool too, but flat black with some badass rims would be killer.

:thumbsup: For wanting to repaint it. That flat olive color makes me want to stab my eyes with a pen. :barf:
Fuck sakes... acid was one helluva drug back in the 70's to be sure. :cry:

Vanner
07-04-2010, 09:51 PM
Nice Caddy you have there! That's one of real "Land Yachts" in its days. Yup, Cadillac and Oldsmobile had front drive with V8 in their models (Eldorado and Toronado) in 1969-1971, i believe.

Cadillac had the biggest V8 in factory size, no question. The color on your car isn't something we had seen very often. The most common body colors I had seen on that model are black, white and red then next most common color is med blue I think.

The car with the least optioned body color (by percent) tend to fetch more $$ among collectors. But hey - it's your car so you can do whatever you want.

You can fit up to 5 ladies in your car ... 3 in back and 2 in front next to you as a driver! you can do them like rotating your tires around! :D

corsvette
07-04-2010, 10:03 PM
^^only 5?! :D this things huge,i was thinking more like 4 in the back and 3 up front and 2 in the trunk at least!...opps never mind,i'm married anyway,i guess it will fit lots of kids too!:bigpimp:

chkolny541
07-04-2010, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Vanner

Cadillac had the biggest V8 in factory size, no question. The color on your car isn't something we had seen very often. The most common body colors I had seen on that model are black, white and red then next most common color is med blue I think.

its very tough for me to beleive that this green was considered a "rare" color and black/white being the most common, whenever i have seen these sorts of cars all i ever see is blue/green!

garnet
07-05-2010, 03:41 AM
Glad to see lots of you like the original colour!It was a optional "firemist" paint colour,i'll just try a good cut/polish and see what happens,the colour is beginning to grow on me.I just don't want to totaly ruin the originality of the car.Black would make the car look sick though.

Unfortunatley fitting this model of car for any aftermarket rims is very costly,because of the front drive the rims have a crazy positive offset,makes for having to go with a custom set of rims to look right,companys make rims for these cars but cost a small fortune.

good call IMO :thumbsup:
rims can be had, apparently KMC and centerline have been used on toronados
think of it in terms of spending what you would on a paint job, on a set of rollers :D lol

Vanner
07-05-2010, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by chkolny541

its very tough for me to beleive that this green was considered a "rare" color and black/white being the most common, whenever i have seen these sorts of cars all i ever see is blue/green!

Well, you might be right ... but it is based in what I've personally seen at car shows or on roads. I'm speaking specifically to that model and not any other brand model. One brand model may have more common color while other brand model may have least same color - depending in what year.

I've had repaired three Cadillac cars - 2 of them were Eldorado ragtops ( a '75, and a '70) and two had white color on body, one had red color. To sand them is quite a choice! :)

theken
07-05-2010, 06:40 AM
I personally would slap some flake on the original color followed by some nice pin striping. A complete color change would cost way too much to make it worth less. If it was a beat up rusty piece, I would make the change, but its in good shape so I would modify the original.

bignerd
07-05-2010, 06:49 AM
I agree, I would do a little more research before choosing a paint color... if you google images of 71 El Dorados the pictures are all white and red cars. Whatever you choose, it should be factory. White might be hard to go to since it was such dark green to start with... certainly chose a big enough car to repaint!

masoncgy
07-05-2010, 09:07 AM
I would leave it 'as is' .... collectors love those original/hard-to-find paint colors.

It suits the car & the era. :)

n1zm0
07-05-2010, 09:47 AM
imo i would leave it stock and polish it to the max as someone said, i'd also keep the whitewalls and hubcaps as-is, it completes the stock look. chrome 'dubs' or anything other than stock would just merit a colour change etc

gram
07-05-2010, 01:06 PM
Lots and lots of vinyl wrap maybe? That way you could preserve the current paint and do a color change at the same time.

darthVWader
07-05-2010, 01:21 PM
I would go all Boss Hogg on that bitch!!!!!!!! White with Horns.

Na keep it Green

Tik-Tok
07-05-2010, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by darthVWader
I would go all Boss Hogg on that bitch!!!!!!!! White with Horns.

Na keep it Green

Hogg had a deville, I think.

corsvette
07-05-2010, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Hogg had a deville, I think.

Yep,Hogg's was a 69 Deville,thats a hard to find car,but the horns no so much,i have a set in my garage!

T-Dubbs
07-05-2010, 04:08 PM
Keep it oem, well if u ever wanna sell it

bourge73
07-05-2010, 04:32 PM
I guess it depends on the size of the ladies.....I would stick with original if you can but slap some rims and tires on it, that will make it look sooooo much better then decide, if you want to paint it, but if you do? for me its gotta be Black.

Nice buy BTW !!! I love it!

97'Scort
07-05-2010, 08:39 PM
Fuck black. Detailing black cars day in and day out and they never look as good as when they were painted. If you love black then go for it, but expect it to look dirty most of the time and scratch like a mother fucker.

If it were me? Dark copper with a medium flake, then slam that baby.

BlueGoblin
07-05-2010, 08:43 PM
Another vote here for keeping it original. I've got a same-era DeVille sedan. it was originally a horrible metallic brown colour, but a later owner did over it in black. Even though it's seriously ugly, the brown suits the era, and would've added to the 'survivor' appeal of the car - especially since everything else is original, right down to the 8-track.

A car is only original once.

Redlyne_mr2
07-05-2010, 08:47 PM
Og color for ur 71 Eldo, sick car.

Rat Fink
07-05-2010, 11:34 PM