PDA

View Full Version : Distributor Installation

pulse_crx
12-16-2003, 11:59 PM
Hey, now after $503.70 my new performance distributor is on its way. My car was throwing code 9, and this is common in b16a's. The only way around it was a new distributor. Now to get to the point, when it does arrive. hows installation going to be? Ive never taken one off, or put one on. Ive adjusted the timing and what not. I figure I just unbolt the stock one, take it out, replace with new dissy. Anyhelp would be great, I am expecting it within the next week.

Primer_Drift
12-17-2003, 01:11 AM
Its easy to take it off, 2 connectors 3 bolts is usual for newer hondas. Make sure you have a rag ready for oil that may come out of the dist. hole. It can only go in fully one way. The other way will be 180 degrees out and the notches will not line up with the cam grooves. Toss a new o-ring on your new dist. if it doesnt come with one.

I'd mark it the original dist. position on the old unit and head, then when installing the new one just measure the position off the old unit, mark the new unit, and line it up with the mark on the head.. its not the proper way to do it but it would work. Good luck.

ls/vtec-crx
12-17-2003, 11:39 AM
what's a performance distributor? and as for throwing a code 9 is your car a dx. Usually if the car is not an SI and the car is not wires from a dx to b16 this is the common problem. Not wired properly. If it was running before without a code all you would need to do is change the igniter which you should be able to get used for about $30-$50.

Matthew
12-17-2003, 08:06 PM
Distributor gears are helically cut so the shaft will rotate slightly when you insert the distributor. Make sure you take this into account with your markings. I like to get the engine at TDC on the compression stroke, then mark the housing to block location and the rotor location prior to removal as a reference.

-Matthew

pulse_crx
12-17-2003, 10:45 PM
Ok, performance distributor. I dont know what the performance side of it is, but considering its Moroso and was the same cost as a Stock replacement, I figured why not go for it. Its an Si with a B16. When i first got it, it ran fine, then after one night of excessive driving it threw a code, and has been on ever since. Thanks for the install help.

legendboy
12-18-2003, 09:17 AM
Why would you need a "performance distributer"?

ls/vtec-crx
12-18-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Matthew
Distributor gears are helically cut so the shaft will rotate slightly when you insert the distributor. Make sure you take this into account with your markings. I like to get the engine at TDC on the compression stroke, then mark the housing to block location and the rotor location prior to removal as a reference.

-Matthew

that's for V8 styles. Honda is totally different.

Originally posted by legendboy
Why would you need a "performance distributer"?

cory you know it's like another 10-15hp. RIGHHHHHHHHHHHT. LOL

Originally posted by pulse_crx
Ok, performance distributor. I dont know what the performance side of it is, but considering its Moroso and was the same cost as a Stock replacement, I figured why not go for it. Its an Si with a B16. When i first got it, it ran fine, then after one night of excessive driving it threw a code, and has been on ever since. Thanks for the install help.

The distributor will only go in one way. If it doesn't go in turn the gear 180 degrees and it should slide in. And then just check you timing after with a timing to stock specs and maybe advance it alittle for abit more power.

legendboy
12-18-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by ls/vtec-crx

Corey you know it's like another 10-15hp. RIGHHHHHHHHHHHT. LOL

ya man, why would someone drop 5 bills on a dizzy :rofl:

ls/vtec-crx
12-18-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by legendboy

ya man, why would someone drop 5 bills on a dizzy :rofl:

:dunno:

Weapon_R
12-18-2003, 03:50 PM
Can you still return it and opt out for the $30 toy instead :D

Deetz
12-21-2003, 12:39 PM
Is this New Moroso distributor going into an EF with 1st gen B16A, or do you have a OBD1 conversion? I don't think Moroso offers non OBD distrbutor for the the B16, do they?