PDA

View Full Version : 95 Pathfinder Manifold issue...pre-purchase help!!

Skrilla
07-05-2010, 08:27 AM
I am looking at picking up a 95 Pathfinder with 205K kms on it, with the 3.0L 5 Speed. The unit is in great shape, and is a great buy, the only thing that concerns me is a tick in the engine under acceleration (slight noise at idle)

I am told this is a common issue with these years of Pathy, and it is the exhaust manifold, probably bolts missing. Has anyone ran into this issue, and whats the approx $$$ to fix it....Want to make sure its still worth it

corsvette
07-05-2010, 08:58 AM
A Very common trouble for pathfinders, my 94 had the same problem,the manifold cracked at 80k and again at 150k,Nissan said the manifolds get very hot because the little 3.0V6 has to work so hard to move the heavy truck,it cost about $600 to replace them,more important than the manifold,make sure the truck has had the timing belt replaced recently

Skrilla
07-05-2010, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by corsvette
A Very common trouble for pathfinders, my 94 had the same problem,the manifold cracked at 80k and again at 150k,Nissan said the manifolds get very hot because the little 3.0V6 has to work so hard to move the heavy truck,it cost about $600 to replace them,more important than the manifold,make sure the truck has had the timing belt replaced recently

Is it something that "needs" to be fixed, or is it just annoying? No long term affects?

Nufy
07-05-2010, 10:29 AM
I ran my 95 pathy for years with the manifold ticking.

You could hear it when it was cold and then after thje manifold heated up the noise would go away.

have it checked at a shop to confirm it is the manifold.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it.

A 94 Pathy with over 200k shouldn't run
you more than 3-4 K $$ so I wouldn't want to be throwing a lot of money at it after purchase.

As Corsvette said as well. Make the sure the timing belt has been changed. Nissan recommends every 160K so yours will have already been done or will need it ASAP !!!

Those Nissan 3.0 L engines are "interference types" where by if the timing belt breaks you could do some major damage to your pistons and valves.....

Aerobat
07-05-2010, 02:52 PM
The manifold studs crack because they don't expand as quickly as the cast iron manifolds...they can be taken out and replaced with 300zx twin turbo exhaust studs to remedy the problem..they are a great vehicle and I had lots of fun with mine...I have 3 genuine nissan oil filters and a set of bosch platinum spark plugs sitting around my house you could have for cheap if you buy it..Also timing belt is pretty easy to do on these..

Skrilla
07-05-2010, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Aerobat
The manifold studs crack because they don't expand as quickly as the cast iron manifolds...they can be taken out and replaced with 300zx twin turbo exhaust studs to remedy the problem..they are a great vehicle and I had lots of fun with mine...I have 3 genuine nissan oil filters and a set of bosch platinum spark plugs sitting around my house you could have for cheap if you buy it..Also timing belt is pretty easy to do on these..

thanks for the info..if I get it i'll hit you up for those. Also the timing belt sticker says it was done @ 195K kms. so I should be good to go on that.