PDA

View Full Version : 25-year Old Woman Critically Injured As Flying Debris Crashes Through Windshield

Markham
07-05-2010, 11:30 PM
Hi guys

http://www.calgarybeacon.com/2010/07/25-year-old-woman-critically-injured-as-flying-debris-crashes-through-windshield/

Markham

shakalaka
07-05-2010, 11:33 PM
Wow, got to be super unlucky to have this happen to you. Best wishes with her, hopefully she recovers soon.

TomcoPDR
07-06-2010, 01:11 AM
That's crazy :eek:

krusso04
07-06-2010, 01:28 AM
i heard it was a drum brake :dunno:

sillysod
07-06-2010, 08:08 AM
Thanks Markham :thumbsup:

JfuckinC
07-06-2010, 08:22 AM
Dude your threads/stories have picked up lately. nice.

That's crazy though, imagine that happening to you! just out of no where :eek:

beyond_ban
07-06-2010, 08:33 AM
Update. She is dead.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Woman+killed+after+debris+smashes+through+windshield/3240420/story.html#ixzz0sudsJnqs

talonboi
07-06-2010, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by beyond_ban
Update. She is dead.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Woman+killed+after+debris+smashes+through+windshield/3240420/story.html#ixzz0sudsJnqs :(

BloNdie
07-06-2010, 08:50 AM
How tragic, RIP

Does anyone know her name?

Kritafo
07-06-2010, 08:51 AM
RIP

masoncgy
07-06-2010, 08:54 AM
Sad news :(

HeyKai
07-06-2010, 09:14 AM
RIP

darthVWader
07-06-2010, 09:15 AM
Fucking sucks!!!!!!!!!!! RIP

Redlyne_mr2
07-06-2010, 09:23 AM
I saw this just shortly after it happened coming home from work last night. I was wondering what the issue was as it was tough to see any damage on any of the vehicles stopped. Police and ambulance were coming from all directions. Sad to hear it was fatal. RIP

SCHIDER23
07-06-2010, 09:23 AM
Poor lady.

RIP :(

Xtrema
07-06-2010, 09:30 AM
RIP, shit like this I thought only happens in movies.

Lex350
07-06-2010, 09:40 AM
RIP......crazy way to meet your end.

Now I'm just waiting for "copynpaste " to chime in how it is all her fault.

Kennyredline
07-06-2010, 09:48 AM
What a sad story. If you think about all the things that had to go right for this to happen, that even a minor change would have made a different outcome, a faster truck, a slower car, a different following distance....RIP.

n1zm0
07-06-2010, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by krusso04
i heard it was a drum brake :dunno:

hard to understand how the drum brake cover can come off of anything without a rim being removed first ,maybe an unsecured load of scrap car parts? who knows, i bet theres someone out there who knows they're either missing a drum cover or knows that the drum cover fell off their truck/trailer.

RIP, feel sorry for the family with these freak events, one minute here, next minute gone in a flash.

dezmarez
07-06-2010, 10:54 AM
RIP to the victim,
saw this on the news last night,
just insane how unlucky she is,
like others have said,
1 km slower/faster and maybe would be a totally different out come

Tik-Tok
07-06-2010, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by n1zm0

hard to understand how the drum brake cover can come off of anything without a rim being removed first ,maybe an unsecured load of scrap car parts? who knows, i bet theres someone out there who knows they're either missing a drum cover or knows that the drum cover fell off their truck/trailer.

Probably either one of those back alley metal recycler guys, with a truckload going to sell, or a car getting flatbedded to the graveyard, with no tires on it, so the drum rattled off.

RIP to the girl.

clem24
07-06-2010, 11:22 AM
Crickey definitely a one in a million strike to have it hit her perfectly in the head. :thumbsdow

Darell_n
07-06-2010, 11:40 AM
" anonymous

1:25 PM on July 6, 2010

This woman was NOT tailgating. I drove past this accident and later found out that my son's girlfriend was driving behind the semi who ran over this piece of metal. It flew up and narrowly missed her car and hit the windshield of the car in the lane beside her. She stopped and tried to assist the poor woman who was unconscious and bleeding badly. Finding a cell phone on her lap, she called the girls parents who arrived on the scene before the ambulance. Horrifying, chilling and a complete freak accident that this young woman had no hope of avoiding. My heartfelt consonances go out to the family who have to live with such a terribly tragedy. "

This is terrible. I can't imagine what her family is going through

heavyD
07-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Probably either one of those back alley metal recycler guys, with a truckload going to sell, or a car getting flatbedded to the graveyard, with no tires on it, so the drum rattled off.

RIP to the girl.

I'm actually surprised this sort of thing doesn't happen more often. I see shit like this all over the Sarcee Trail with trucks hauling stuff to the dump without having the bed covered properly and sometimes without even a tailgate. The city really needs to crack down on this harder than occasionally having police waiting at the dump entrance.

CapnCrunch
07-06-2010, 12:02 PM
Fuck, that sucks. But how far could a brake drum really fly through the air?

bignerd
07-06-2010, 12:21 PM
There are two threads about this now...

Semi going 100 km/h running over something is going to kick it up pretty high in the air, especially with the size of their tires and or multiple tires running over it.

Just sucks, like the article says a few second or a few inches, different car etc... could of saved her life (not that anyone knew this would happen).

thetransporter
07-06-2010, 12:34 PM
I once stopped a semi truck on deerfoot with his gate open in the trailer and shit was flying out. the fucker (kindslery transport) was giving me attitude for stopping him. this was back in 2002 not everyone had video phones, i sure would of recorded it.

Afrodeziak
07-06-2010, 01:39 PM
I knew the deceased fairly well. Just not sure what to say at this point.
It's a sad shitty day.

Please keep your comments clean. She was a wonderful person and things like this shouldn't happen to such solid members of our society.

RIP

zipdoa
07-06-2010, 01:47 PM
I thought the collision reconstruction team was a checkstop when I first approached it. There was at least a dozen marked and unmarked CPS there. I was gonna pull over to snap some pics but didn't want to get busted with expired registration!

MGCM
07-06-2010, 03:23 PM
Would a specially designed windshield be able to protect someone from such flying debris and still be worthy of being used for a daily driver? More expensive yes, but this type of thing most assuredly happens all over the world and I can't help but wonder if there is technology out there that might be able to help in these situations.

cloud7
07-06-2010, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Darell_n
" anonymous

1:25 PM on July 6, 2010

This woman was NOT tailgating. I drove past this accident and later found out that my son's girlfriend was driving behind the semi who ran over this piece of metal. It flew up and narrowly missed her car and hit the windshield of the car in the lane beside her. She stopped and tried to assist the poor woman who was unconscious and bleeding badly. Finding a cell phone on her lap, she called the girls parents who arrived on the scene before the ambulance. Horrifying, chilling and a complete freak accident that this young woman had no hope of avoiding. My heartfelt consonances go out to the family who have to live with such a terribly tragedy. "

This is terrible. I can't imagine what her family is going through

Very tragic... it sounds like from the above that the piece of metal was going to hit someone regardless. This reminds me of the Felipe Massa incident during last year's F1 race.

RIP.

sillysod
07-06-2010, 06:46 PM
Im sure tik-tok is probably bang on.

If the semi following swerved to miss it and clipped just the edge of it with the edge of his tire it would kick out with tremendous force. I've clipped rocks in our big truck and they sail off into infinity.

Im guessing she was driving just behind the truck axle that hit it in the lane left or right of the truck that kicked it up.

So surreal seems like something from final destination.

Condolences to the family. :(

Kona9
07-06-2010, 06:55 PM
So SO Sad!!

RIP

WAY too young!!!

95teetee
07-06-2010, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0

hard to understand how the drum brake cover can come off of anything without a rim being removed first ,maybe an unsecured load of scrap car parts? freak events, one minute here, next minute gone in a flash. a few years ago when the gravel was being hauled for the hwy 9 construction (Drumheller area) a co-worker stopped to put out a grass fire in the ditch. The fire was started by the brake drum off of one of the gravel trucks.

Dunno how but it happens.

RIP to the victim in this case:(

black13
07-06-2010, 08:21 PM
RIP.
That is very freaky. I drive on the hwy daily too. It's Final Destination esque freaky. Imagine if she was driving a RHD car or a lowered car, so many chances of this not happening. This is really a 1 in million case for it to be that precise.

If I see shit like that in the middle of the road, I usually pull over and push it aside. I did that once on John Laurie. Albeit the hwy must be a lot tougher.

revelations
07-06-2010, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by MGCM
Would a specially designed windshield be able to protect someone from such flying debris and still be worthy of being used for a daily driver? More expensive yes, but this type of thing most assuredly happens all over the world and I can't help but wonder if there is technology out there that might be able to help in these situations.

Its called bullet-proof glass :dunno:

beyond_ban
07-07-2010, 07:48 AM
How old was the victim?

RIP and my condolences go to the friends and family.

D911
07-07-2010, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban
How old was the victim?

read the article?

she was 25.

beyond_ban
07-07-2010, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by D911

read the article?

she was 25.

Skimmed it, but thanks to you my lazy ass was rewarded.

Jay911
07-07-2010, 10:38 PM
I've been to a similar incident about 5 years ago that was a double fatality. Unfortunately there's all kinds of debris from all kinds of vehicles these days. You'd be astounded to hear of the kind of junk that Fire and Carmacks and etc has to pick up off roads each day. Ladders, chests of drawers, sofas, appliances, boxes full of clothing/books/furniture/whatever, Christmas trees (usually right after the holidays when someone can't be arsed to take it to the dump - just go drive up the highway and let it launch from the pickup bed like a Saturn V rocket).

I imagine someone like Rat Fink can explain better, but brake components on large-wheeled vehicles tend to be installed in multiple pieces. It wouldn't be necessary to have the whole wheel assembly come off for a component to get launched. However, I have seen entire pairs of dual wheels go missing before - in the 80s, in my hometown in Ontario, a set cleaned the porch right off a house on the side of the highway.

I was driving on a low speed road today (40km/h) and there was something in my lane that looked like the fuel filler door off a car. I straddled it and avoided hitting it. The guy behind me nailed it squarely with his front tire - it was thrown up into the air and made a significant dent in his left passenger door right at the rocker panel.

Debris can be in the air for a hell of a long time. I thought of Massa's F1 crash when I heard about this, as well. For those who didn't see that incident, he was going over 150 MPH (and the car that the spring came off of surely was as well) when a suspension spring a little smaller than a Coke can bounced off the road and hit his helmet just above his left eye. He was knocked unconscious and piled into a tire wall. The helmet was destroyed and everyone feared he'd had severe injuries. Anyway, the point is, the car that the spring came off of wasn't even visible in the video, shot from just overhead of the driver POV. It was completely out of sight and this spring was still bouncing along the road at ridiculous speed.

MGCM
07-07-2010, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by revelations

Its called bullet-proof glass :dunno:

I was thinking slightly less expensive, but maybe that's what it will eventually come down to.

Pollywog
07-07-2010, 10:53 PM
That is awful...RIP

D911
07-08-2010, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by MGCM

I was thinking slightly less expensive, but maybe that's what it will eventually come down to.

wear a helmet while driving?

heavyD
07-08-2010, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Jay911
I've been to a similar incident about 5 years ago that was a double fatality. Unfortunately there's all kinds of debris from all kinds of vehicles these days. You'd be astounded to hear of the kind of junk that Fire and Carmacks and etc has to pick up off roads each day. Ladders, chests of drawers, sofas, appliances, boxes full of clothing/books/furniture/whatever, Christmas trees (usually right after the holidays when someone can't be arsed to take it to the dump - just go drive up the highway and let it launch from the pickup bed like a Saturn V rocket).

Yep. It's becoming a big problem IMO. Authorities need to start cracking down on all vehicles hauling stuff especially vehicles loaded with garbage loads or work vehicles. Unfortunately it's not an easy revenue generator like speeding so police don't really look for it.

GoChris
07-08-2010, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by heavyD

Yep. It's becoming a big problem IMO. Authorities need to start cracking down on all vehicles hauling stuff especially vehicles loaded with garbage loads or work vehicles. Unfortunately it's not an easy revenue generator like speeding so police don't really look for it.

I'm on deerfoot all the time, and always before the barlow turn off there are so many fucking retards taking loads to the dump without it being covered at all. Shit is always flying out. I hate those fuckers. Go to home depot and buy a $5 tarp, that's all they cost. My sister got hit last year, luckily it was only Styrofoam.

Tik-Tok
07-08-2010, 09:34 AM

"49(1)(b) Unsecured Load $500.00"

It sure as hell could be a revenue generator. Imagine all the fines an officer could give at the entrance to dumps. I hope this incident increases the amount of tickets handed out for this.

I go to the landfill every 3-4 times a year, and ALWAYS make sure my trailer is secured, and covered with a tarp. It pisses me off when I see other idiots not doing the same.

heavyD
07-08-2010, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

It sure as hell could be a revenue generator. Imagine all the fines an officer could give at the entrance to dumps. I hope this incident increases the amount of tickets handed out for this.

That's what they do. They hide at the dump entrance and bust people and while that works they don't do it nearly enough and you never see patroling cars just randomly pull over these kind of vehicles.

dezmarez
07-08-2010, 03:32 PM

That's what they do. They hide at the dump entrance and bust people and while that works they don't do it nearly enough and you never see patroling cars just randomly pull over these kind of vehicles.

I was just going to say this,
last time we went to the dump hauled a bunch of stuff in my dads old van... had guys out ticketing every single person that didnt have it covered...

came home and the neighbor was heading out to the dump,
stopped him at the top of the block to let him know..

and the police should be enforcing this a hell of alot more then the tint crackdown they are on

heavyD
07-08-2010, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by dezmarez
to let him know..

and the police should be enforcing this a hell of alot more then the tint crackdown they are on

Just goes to show that safety is not the top priority the city would like you to believe as nobody ever get's hurt from window tint and photo radar doesn't save lives.

Lex350
07-08-2010, 04:37 PM
It's not just stuff that falls off of trucks some of the rocks on deerfoot are crazy. Next time you are waiting in the line up on Deerfoot where it backs up at the construction look to the side of the road. There is some nasty shit there. Back in May I had a rock hit my windshield. It had to be big. It put a 3.5" ding in my window. It hit so hard that I could put my finger on it and the glass would move.

It scared the crap out of me!