PDA

View Full Version : Good or Bad idea what do you think ?

Justin-88
07-06-2010, 12:50 AM
Alright so heres the situation, im 16 and Ive been driving for a couple months now in my 99 Honda Accord, its automatic, and lately i really want to learn manual for the future for when I come to buy a new car. And since its summer and I have some money I want to buy a cheap manual car learn manual play around with the car and then just resell it for what I bought it maybe less maybe more.

Do you think this is a bad/good idea ?

Recap:

-Has car
-Wants new car, not to replace other car, but to learn manual
-Not to be misread, I love my Accord

Thanks

sxtothe240
07-06-2010, 02:57 AM
instead of keeping the accord, why dont you sell it. Use the money from that and get a "decent" manual car and drive it for a couple of years. If you like your accord, pick up a manual one.

that way you get to drive manual, and don't have to pay insurance on 2 vehicles when you're 16.

ExtraSlow
07-06-2010, 06:34 AM
I agree with sxtothe240. If you are serious about learning to drive a stick shift, then sell your automatic. If you keep the Auto, you'll find you still drive it more often than your beater, and you won't learn nearly as fast, or as well.

If you really like the accord, there are about 50 manual accords on Kijiji right now. Buy one of those . . .

G-ZUS
07-06-2010, 06:44 AM
Trade urs for my manual accord

-relk-
07-06-2010, 07:32 AM
I agree with everyone else and i am sure most people will. Once you learn to drive manual you most likely won't want to go back, especially if your still young. Thats what happened with me.

Justin-88
07-06-2010, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by sxtothe240
instead of keeping the accord, why dont you sell it. Use the money from that and get a "decent" manual car and drive it for a couple of years. If you like your accord, pick up a manual one.

that way you get to drive manual, and don't have to pay insurance on 2 vehicles when you're 16.

Yea, but my parents bought me the vehicle in march, ive had the thing for 5 months, wouldent they be pissed that im already trying to buy a new vehicle.

Kloubek
07-06-2010, 10:04 AM
^^ That's for you to answer; not us.

If you were to TRADE for a manual car, how pissed could they be?

Tik-Tok
07-06-2010, 10:06 AM
As said, sell the auto, buy a manual.

You might learn how to get by in a manual beater, but you won't truly know how to drive stick until you're doing it on a daily basis. Too bad you missed my for sale ad. I was selling a perfect stick learning car, but had no bites on it, so it went to the scrap yard this morning.

Justin-88
07-06-2010, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
^^ That's for you to answer; not us.

If you were to TRADE for a manual car, how pissed could they be?

Theyd be pissed, but like ive ran these ideas of selling and buying a new car through them a couple of times and everytime there like youve only had this car a couple of months and how they love my honda too much to sell it. So thats going to be a huge speedbump lol so no trades id say.

If I really want to sell it, id save a couple thousand and buy a wrx or maybe awd aristo. (What other cars are good for all year round :dunno: no lowered soarers for me)

zipdoa
07-06-2010, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Justin-88

Theyd be pissed, but like ive ran these ideas of selling and buying a new car through them a couple of times and everytime there like youve only had this car a couple of months and how they love my honda too much to sell it. So thats going to be a huge speedbump lol so no trades id say.

If I really want to sell it, id save a couple thousand and buy a wrx or maybe awd aristo. (What other cars are good for all year round :dunno: no lowered soarers for me)

get an old audi 80/90 5spd with quattro. It will have a nicer interior than your honda and shouldn't run you more than $2000 for a good example. They have a torsen center diff and a rear diff lock, so you can get some serious traction in winter!

adam c
07-06-2010, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by -relk-
I agree with everyone else and i am sure most people will. Once you learn to drive manual you most likely won't want to go back, especially if your still young. Thats what happened with me.

not true, I'm seriously contemplating switching to an auto, can't stand driving a manual during rush hour anymore

zipdoa
07-06-2010, 01:59 PM
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLargeImage?AdId=210758724&ImageIndex=1

Or pony up a little more $$$ and you can get a 2.2 20vt I5 - a chip & injectors will get you to nearly 300hp!

Voodoo Chile
07-06-2010, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by adam c

not true, I'm seriously contemplating switching to an auto, can't stand driving a manual during rush hour anymore

+1

I switched back to auto for my main commuter after years of standards - it's so much nicer for the after work drive home.

supe
07-06-2010, 02:08 PM
I agree trade it in.

Driving stick is one of those skills every 'Man' should know how to do, and do relatively well.

Picture that date with the girl that gives you her keys to drive home after a few drinks or the friends rich uncle that gives you the keys to that supercar both of which are manual...

911fever
07-06-2010, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
I agree with sxtothe240. If you are serious about learning to drive a stick shift, then sell your automatic. If you keep the Auto, you'll find you still drive it more often than your beater, and you won't learn nearly as fast, or as well.

If you really like the accord, there are about 50 manual accords on Kijiji right now. Buy one of those . . .

great advice

kolumbo69
07-06-2010, 07:19 PM
Dont trade you will lose your shirt on value, its always better to have a DD separate from your weekend warrior. So you never have to worry how you will get to work monday to pay for your hobby friday!

rampagesauce
07-06-2010, 08:20 PM
not reading whole thread but heres what i did.

bought a nice manual car, learned on it, regretted it. but kept it, still have it.

bought a manual 250$ '92 plymouth sundance POS winter beater. learned on it, bagged it, got the basics, blew the engine :)

then bought a manual 100$ '88 toyota corrola winter beater. learned to double clutch, attempted power shifting lol, and learned to drift as much as i could.

then i bought another nice manual car and can enjoy it more then i could have before.

saved money on insurance > 350$ in experimental cars

Justin-88
07-06-2010, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by adam c

I live in Red Deer no real rush hours here.

Justin-88
07-06-2010, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by supe
I agree trade it in.

Driving stick is one of those skills every 'Man' should know how to do, and do relatively well.

Picture that date with the girl that gives you her keys to drive home after a few drinks or the friends rich uncle that gives you the keys to that supercar both of which are manual...

Dint really think about those last two, thanks, aha but If i were to get a manual, id sell my auto and then pony up a couple 1000$ on top of that and buy myself something nicer.