PDA

View Full Version : My Race Track?

MatIbanez
07-06-2010, 12:54 AM
Hello everyone, first thread.
So, my friend came up with the suggestion of all buying POS cars, and racing them at are very own race track, of which we intend to build.

This idea sounds stupid and rediculously expensive, but it is not so. We do not intend to build a paved track, we intend to use something else such as graval; something good for drifting.

So my questions are...
1. What meterial should we use for the track? (Graval, sand, dirt, grass, etc...)

2. How much will the meterial that you think is best cost per square foot? (Or best unit of mersure. Canadian please.)

We already have all the cleared land that we could ever need, so we just need the surface meterials. Thanks alot in advance for all of your thoughts, we hope this will work!!

Justin-88
07-06-2010, 12:59 AM
All i have to say is you lucky bastard, this sounds too sick and even if you dont build a track, ripping around in POS's would be hella fun. Just lay some pillions out in some flatish areas (you said you had the land cleared), that would even work. Best of luck.

broken_legs
07-06-2010, 01:47 AM
Where is said race track, and will you need some competition?

My only concern is that you you're not considering what is involved in making a driveable road. It has to be leveled, and graded, then gravel added and compacted of else it will turn into pothole and birm city in a few laps.

All in all, sounds like you are living the dream!

Please update this thread with pics and progress if you get it going :)

psycoticclown
07-06-2010, 01:50 AM
LOL.

Definitely subscribed haha.

ExtraSlow
07-06-2010, 06:41 AM
Just dumping a bunch of gravel on some farmland isn't going to make a racetrack.

I figure you'll need at least 350 cubic yards (four inches thick, about 30 feet wide and a thousand feet long.
Gravel Volume Estimator (http://www.bobvila.com/DesignTools/Calculators/gravel.html)

Burnco's current price for 20mm crushed rock is $38.12/yd.
Actually, unprocessed sand might work, at $35.34/yd.
either way, you are looking at around $13,000. Hopefully you can get a good deal on delivery. and a deal on the equipment to move it around and compact it.

ringmaster
07-06-2010, 09:37 AM
Just keep it as a dirt track. Get the said POS cars and just start racing, eventually the track will wear in. Make sure you PM me when you are doing this.. I would love to partake in the beater racing.

MatIbanez
07-06-2010, 11:21 AM
Thanks for all the response!
We are thinking of maybe just keeping it as just dirt, and hopefully it will be easy enough to get traction.
I will update with pics when we get it going.
Bought a '90 Pontiac Sunbird 2dr Manual for 250$!

GTI CANADIAN
07-06-2010, 11:25 AM
I want in on beater racing

ExtraSlow
07-06-2010, 12:52 PM
Ultimate vehicle for this dirt track action is an Ex-cop crown vic. Would be pretty easy to strip out about 500lbs of weight, and RWD is superior for the loose surface. Drivetrain should be pretty bulletproof as well, and easy to fix if you do break anything.

If you actually get this going, I think a lot of beyond would be interested . . .

speedog
07-06-2010, 12:53 PM
Just a thought, but seeing as the OP is listing themselves in Winnipeg, it would be a very long drive for Albertans to go beater racing.

Justin-88
07-06-2010, 08:48 PM
^^^ The cars wouldn't make it past the alberta/sask border :)

MGCM
07-07-2010, 12:26 AM
What your describing is Rally-X, and also Winter Auto-X while there is snow on the ground. It's TONS of fun and you will learn alot about vehicle control, going sideways at nearly 100km/h on gravel isn't easy to control but it's so damn fun:D

http://s585.photobucket.com/albums/ss295/motokorth/WAX%20April%2025/

http://s585.photobucket.com/home/motokorth/set/4082

http://www.pbase.com/locotoy/april3_2010event&page=all

http://s585.photobucket.com/albums/ss295/motokorth/WAX%20March%2028/

toastgremlin
07-07-2010, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by speedog
Just a thought, but seeing as the OP is listing themselves in Winnipeg, it would be a very long drive for Albertans to go beater racing. Could always fly out and buy a car in Winnipeg. When you're done, throw some Sta-bil in the tank or leave it behind for them to beat the shit out of in successive races.

Or they could run a club where I can kick in some cash for a 'rental' (or an actual rental :thumbsup: ) during the race.

A Crown Vic is totally where it's at for beater racing. The cop spec steelies are designed to jump curbs doing 40 mph.

n1zm0
07-07-2010, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by toastgremlin
Could always fly out and buy a car in Winnipeg. When you're done, throw some Sta-bil in the tank or leave it behind for them to beat the shit out of in successive races.

yeah i would totally do this, there are $100 cars everywhere, some quick maintenance/fluid changes and depending on what kind of make of vehicle you choose, the thing could last for a few seasons.

Tomaz
07-07-2010, 10:08 AM
I am trying to google this, but is there anything around Cow-Town? I am DOWN!

bituerbo
07-07-2010, 10:52 AM
Yeah there is, only it's 1 car at a time, and it's called rally-x or Rally-cross. It's put on by the Calgary Sports Car Club. In winter it's on snow, in summer it's on dirt/gravel.

Some guy just outside of Red Deer actually did what you guys are planning. He took some equipment and made a rally-cross track in a farm field. It was used for 1 or 2 events, then was shut down due to complaints by the neighbors I think.

You could try petitioning the organizers to have a 'beater' class...

Red Deer Track:
zOEgGj9ceFk

Justin-88
07-07-2010, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by bituerbo
Yeah there is, only it's 1 car at a time, and it's called rally-x or Rally-cross. It's put on by the Calgary Sports Car Club. In winter it's on snow, in summer it's on dirt/gravel.

Some guy just outside of Red Deer actually did what you guys are planning. He took some equipment and made a rally-cross track in a farm field. It was used for 1 or 2 events, then was shut down due to complaints by the neighbors I think.

You could try petitioning the organizers to have a 'beater' class...

Red Deer Track:
zOEgGj9ceFk

Asshole neighbors.