PDA

View Full Version : Driving without the proper gas cap?

mikeythe613
07-06-2010, 10:36 AM
So a long time ago I lost my gas cap, I ended up getting another one. This one kinda screwed on but I dont think there was a good seal. My car misfires somtimes and when i give it gas at high speeds it feels like its lagging. Could it be because I was driving with the wrong cap for so long? Anything I can do to fix it?

gretz
07-06-2010, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by mikeythe613
So a long time ago I lost my gas cap, I ended up getting another one. This one kinda screwed on but I dont think there was a good seal. My car misfires somtimes and when i give it gas at high speeds it feels like its lagging. Could it be because I was driving with the wrong cap for so long? Anything I can do to fix it?

:rofl:

Your threads are f'n funny - > "I put the wrong part on my car - it works like shit - how do i fix it?"

Ummmm, try to get the right cap for starters:dunno:

How did you come across your replacment cap?

derran.m
07-06-2010, 11:45 AM
Here's how to fix your problem

First - get rid of the incorrect gas cap - the improper fitting will cause the combustion pressure to decrease therefore lagging and misfiring.

Second, FILL up your tank with premium - higher octane will clean it out and help emilinate the laggind and misfiring- and i mean FILL the tank till it's overflowing (clean up the mess with a cloth or paper towel

Third - while still at the gas station, use said cloth or paper towl soaked in gasoline as a new gas cap. Cram it into the hole and make sure there is a nice tight seal

Fourth - get a lighter and light it to said paper towel or cloth

Boom problem solved!!! No more POS Lumina and no more idiot making ridiculous posts about how his car is a constant POS

94_S14
07-06-2010, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by gretz

Your threads are f'n funny - > "I put the wrong part on my car - it works like shit - how do i fix it?"

Ummmm, try to get the right cap for starters:dunno:

How did you come across your replacment cap?

bahahaha +1, its like everyday there is a thread made by this dude about how shitty his car is.

preview of his next thread

Is it bad to drive without a passenger seat?

i was driving down my street and my rusted floor gave way under my friends weight, so my passenger seat and friend fell out..

its it ok? I find my car missfires more with this gaping hole in my shitty floor board. What should i do?

Kloubek
07-06-2010, 11:50 AM
Stop. Please. Just stop.

mikeythe613
07-07-2010, 12:11 PM
hahahahaha you guys kill me.

The lumina is actually pretty fresh not a spot of rust and under 140km, you guys dont even know what your talking about. Answer the question its simple!!!!

@gretz, Bought it and lost the receipt, im going to get one that works. Right now I got someones on it that fits.

mikeythe613
07-07-2010, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by derran.m
Here's how to fix your problem

First - get rid of the incorrect gas cap - the improper fitting will cause the combustion pressure to decrease therefore lagging and misfiring.

Second, FILL up your tank with premium - higher octane will clean it out and help emilinate the laggind and misfiring- and i mean FILL the tank till it's overflowing (clean up the mess with a cloth or paper towel

Third - while still at the gas station, use said cloth or paper towl soaked in gasoline as a new gas cap. Cram it into the hole and make sure there is a nice tight seal

Fourth - get a lighter and light it to said paper towel or cloth

Boom problem solved!!! No more POS Lumina and no more idiot making ridiculous posts about how his car is a constant POS

hey farmer joe, stfu and stay out of my threads. go milk some cows.

Tezzating
07-08-2010, 10:38 AM
In the grand scheme of things the fuel cap has not a lot to do with your problems. However, just go to the nearest wreckers and pickup a factory cap for $5.

As for the lagging and misfires.. those old Buick V6 are prone to burning up the DFI module (brainbox sitting under the ignition coils), the coils themselves give out, cross-wire arcing at high speeds if they're old and breaking the insulators on the middle two plugs due to excessive heat causing misfires.

derran.m
07-08-2010, 10:54 AM

hey farmer joe, stfu and stay out of my threads. go milk some cows.

LMAO

I got someone in Onterrible calling me a farmer!! OH NOES!! I AM SO OFFENDED! I'm gonna go cry to myself for hours now over that. LOL

Edit:
Had to run a search ... seems as though about 90% of your posts in these forums are in the Mechanical section ... maybe if you post a bit more in here other than bitching about your car problems, you will get a better response from the community? Just food for thought, as all we hear from you is my car is broken ... over and over again ... it's damn frstrating to see nothing but that, how about before coming on here whining about your car, try to make yourself more a part of the community instead of constantly griping about your car issues? Perhaps then instead of constantly getting flamed you will get some advice. I personally could probably help you a fair bit, as my first car was ... 1989 Lumina! Been there done that, if it were a more reputable member whom I see all over the forum, I may consider seriously trying to assist ...

mikeythe613
07-09-2010, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by derran.m

LMAO

I got someone in Onterrible calling me a farmer!! OH NOES!! I AM SO OFFENDED! I'm gonna go cry to myself for hours now over that. LOL

Edit:
Had to run a search ... seems as though about 90% of your posts in these forums are in the Mechanical section ... maybe if you post a bit more in here other than bitching about your car problems, you will get a better response from the community? Just food for thought, as all we hear from you is my car is broken ... over and over again ... it's damn frstrating to see nothing but that, how about before coming on here whining about your car, try to make yourself more a part of the community instead of constantly griping about your car issues? Perhaps then instead of constantly getting flamed you will get some advice. I personally could probably help you a fair bit, as my first car was ... 1989 Lumina! Been there done that, if it were a more reputable member whom I see all over the forum, I may consider seriously trying to assist ...

sorry bro i didnt take the time reading this paragraph of whatever it is.... I hope you had fun writing it.

T-Dubbs
07-09-2010, 03:08 PM
your threads are retarded
use your common sense

mikeythe613
07-09-2010, 03:44 PM
lol common sense? how am I suppose to know if my gas cap will fuck up my car or not? I am not a mechanic homie. Why do write anything at all? Do you like to boost your post ratio :O. Go watch some star wars homo.

@Tizz

Thanks for the suggestion, How many hours do you think a mechanic should charge for labor for a job like that? and is the part itself expensive?

Thanks in advance!

Tomaz
07-09-2010, 04:26 PM
Oh noes! An eastener! GIT 'EM BOYS!

Anyway, the gas cap one is simple. Get the proper one. It's a Lumina, so a wrecker will have one for you cheap. The proper one is needed in order to provide the proper fuel pressure in the system. You fuck with the fuel, you fuck with the car. Plus an incorrect one can/will allow contaminates into the tank.

Now your misfiring stuff, cannot suggest much but to take it to a mech. Standard mech shop rates vary from $80/hour - $120/hour. Plus parts.

Have fun!

noma1
07-09-2010, 04:28 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mikeythe613
[B]lol common sense? how am I suppose to know if my gas cap will fuck up my car or not? I am not a mechanic homie. Why do write anything at all? Do you like to boost your post ratio :O. Go watch some star wars homo.

we know your not a mechanic or even a backyard joe blow! or else you wouldnt be asking for our help with your pos and stupid ass questions and remarks. and giving a reply such asthis as a respone, how about a thankyou? if i wasnt for these guys your car would probably have killed you or someone else by know cause your a fucking idiot who shouldnt even be around a vehicle.:guns:

your profile says your born in 98? lol so your what 12? then you shouldnt be around a fucking vehicle!haha

WrongWheelDrive
07-09-2010, 04:31 PM
Can leaving the gas cap off harm my car?
No, aside from an annoying check engine light from a false EVAP System failure code.

Why can the absence of a simple gas cap cause the check engine light to illuminate?
The fuel system in your car is a sealed system that traps harmful gas fumes. If the gas cap is left off then gas is able to escape from the system. When this happens, a self-test of the performance system detects this “leak” in the EVAP (Evaporative Emissions System) and the check engine light comes on, and a code is stored.

Can I fix this myself or do I have to go to a shop to fix it?
In most cases, simply replacing the gas cap and driving the vehicle for 100 miles or so will allow the system to reset itself. If this doesn’t work and the light stays on, then there are other complications; the system should be scanned and the problem diagnosed.

If the gas cap is left off, can the gas leak out of the tank and cause a problem? Is this dangerous?
No. A flapper valve is built into today’s fuel filling systems. This valve stops reverse flow of fuel out of the tank. If you stood the vehicle on its head, gas would not flow out of the tank because the flapper valve is an anti-roll valve. So it’s not dangerous to leave the gas cap off. However, you will be able to smell gas fumes. And I suppose, if you were mindless enough to stick your head close to the open gas tank filler-neck with a lit cigarette, and provide an ignition source for the escaping fumes, you could be compromising your health.

Where do I buy a new gas cap?
I would buy an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) gas cap because it will always thread correctly into the filler neck, the seal will seal properly, the proper vent valves will be in place, and the cap will be designed specifically for your vehicle’s fuel system. Deviate from OEM design and you are asking for trouble.

/no more of these threads EVER.

mikeythe613
07-10-2010, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by noma1
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mikeythe613
[B]lol common sense? how am I suppose to know if my gas cap will fuck up my car or not? I am not a mechanic homie. Why do write anything at all? Do you like to boost your post ratio :O. Go watch some star wars homo.

we know your not a mechanic or even a backyard joe blow! or else you wouldnt be asking for our help with your pos and stupid ass questions and remarks. and giving a reply such asthis as a respone, how about a thankyou? if i wasnt for these guys your car would probably have killed you or someone else by know cause your a fucking idiot who shouldnt even be around a vehicle.:guns:

your profile says your born in 98? lol so your what 12? then you shouldnt be around a fucking vehicle!haha

thank you for more hate, you dont even know me and my posts are bothering you that much? I fucking love it. I swear everytime i come on here I laugh at you clowns... you can tell me how much my car is a pos but i dont give a fuck about what you think. Yes I am a 12 year old nascar driver, thankyou for looking at my age... u fucking weirdo... Do you have nothing better to do? :) lol anyways tootaloo...

SHOUT OUT TO EVERYONe THATS NOT HATING.

MK3SupraMan™
07-11-2010, 01:01 AM
Dont get why we cant all be freinds? :dunno:

Cos
07-11-2010, 01:22 AM
It could also be your hyper flux module, they are known to breaking. Unfortunately the only way to test it is to take out the spark plugs and actually make sure they are working which means holding them and grounding them onto your block. You will get some sparks and may feel the odd tingle but I have yet to figure out a way that doesnt potentially burn your car down.

Good luck mang

MK3SupraMan™
07-11-2010, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by Cos
It could also be your hyper flux module, they are known to breaking. Unfortunately the only way to test it is to take out the spark plugs and actually make sure they are working which means holding them and grounding them onto your block. You will get some sparks and may feel the odd tingle but I have yet to figure out a way that doesnt potentially burn your car down.

Good luck mang

Probably might have to test his exhaust to. Simple and
Easy test, start the car in the garage will the door closed.
This step usually takes about 30 mins or so , basically
what youre looking to do is become a human 02 sensor.
Try to sniff out the exhaust gases to see if your running
lean or rich. Takes about 30 mins of sniffing the tailpipe,
and should be able to find your problem.

ianmcc
07-11-2010, 07:48 AM
Welcome to Beyond. If you own a domestic everyone hates you. If you own a BMW you are a douche bag. If you own a pickup you are a redneck. If you are a newbie and are asking a simple question you get flamed. If you own a Lambo everyone hates the rims. Or the wing. Or the color. If you spotted a cool ride it's pics or GTFO. If you are from Ontario you automatically painted a target on your back.

There are a few people who provide helpful info (WrongWheelDrive for example) but that kind of info can be found with a simple Google search.

sr20s14zenki
07-11-2010, 08:13 AM
Im just trying to figure out whether this guy is just making threads to be a troll, or weather he ACTUALLY has this car and its REALLY a new problem every week. If a car gave me this many problems, it would be sold so fast...

:dunno:

Cos
07-11-2010, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by ianmcc
Welcome to Beyond. If you own a domestic everyone hates you. If you own a BMW you are a douche bag. If you own a pickup you are a redneck. If you are a newbie and are asking a simple question you get flamed. If you own a Lambo everyone hates the rims. Or the wing. Or the color. If you spotted a cool ride it's pics or GTFO. If you are from Ontario you automatically painted a target on your back.

There are a few people who provide helpful info (WrongWheelDrive for example) but that kind of info can be found with a simple Google search.

have you seen all his other threads?

e31
07-11-2010, 10:46 AM
I really hate to bump such a crappy thread, but I have a pretty good suggestion for the OP.

Mikey, if your personality is anything like your online presence, it is very likely that there are people that don't like you. That being said, one (or more) of these people could be trying to screw you over by pissing in your gas tank and generally sabotaging anything they can on your vehicle.

As for who may be doing this... Couldn't be any of us. Is there anyone who has access to your vehicle? Think close family and friends, they are the most likely ones to screw with your car when you aren't watching.

I hope this helps narrow who might be messing up your car, because everyone knows that Chev makes quality cars, and the Lumina was a milestone in manufacturing efficiency.

To recap: Your friends and parents hate you and your crappy car. Ditch it.

Wehbeast
07-11-2010, 11:46 AM
You could try check your vapor fluid. There is a round canister by the firewall which could be empty. All you gotta do is put some watre in it

mikeythe613
07-11-2010, 02:47 PM
is vapor fliuid engine coolant? i am out of engine coolant I need to get some soooon. but the temp never gets to high so its not so bad.

hey e31, omg man your so funny I bet you made all your beyond homo friends chuckle. In fact I think I might go cry in a corner now..... fuck man everyday I find a new clown on this side. Cant you just block me so my threads dont show up for you? You guys are lost!

The car isnt that bad, the body is mint and it has low km... its just been sitting for awhile so It need a bit of tlc. Its almost good to go.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
07-11-2010, 02:54 PM
So wait, now your running your car without coolant :rofl:

97luder
07-11-2010, 04:39 PM
hey e31, omg man your so funny I bet you made all your beyond homo friends chuckle.

dont even start putting down beyond members ! why dont you just go on a site from Ontario so you can get help/ bug locals in your own area ??

MK3SupraMan™
07-13-2010, 10:07 PM
Taking a shit in the gas tank usually frees
up a few lost hp's. Good luck