PDA

View Full Version : school zones and class 6 road test

Nav13
07-06-2010, 12:59 PM
I will be doing my class 6 road test tomorrow and I know a big portion of it is going through playground and school zones. Now this may be a silly question but are school zones in affect during the summer months, July and August in particular? I've tried google and even did a search on beyond and can not find a definite answer. I always thought they were not in effect during the summer, hence all the reminders on the radio come September. The class 5 manual is no help either, all it says is during school days. I will just ask my tester tomorrow to be safe but I though I would ask here in the mean time. Obviously I could just do 30 to be safe, but you can lose marks for going to slow or even fail so I would rather do what's right.

diamondedge
07-06-2010, 01:03 PM
I know in one part of Martindale, there is a sign underneath the school zone sign saying ALL YEAR SCHOOL or something of the nature. So during those summer months, the usual 8-9 11-1 and 3-4 (or whatever it is) 30km/h are in effect.

So the ALL YEAR SCHOOL is the indication is a school day. As well, another hint is look at the parking lot - if it's full of cars, teachers are there, so it's probably a school day at that school.

EDIT: Yep, that's what it says.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=Calgary&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Calgary,+Division+No.++6,+Alberta,+Canada&ll=51.114569,-113.967791&spn=0,0.1054&z=14&layer=c&cbll=51.114463,-113.967832&panoid=PKqeNMu7V8VIPPYQ23wgVw&cbp=12,80.48,,0,9.08

GL on your test mate.

SpeedIllusion
07-06-2010, 01:04 PM
Generally they are not in effect during summer, but there are some year round schools. IMO that would be unfair if the instructor took you to an area with one.

JfuckinC
07-06-2010, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by SpeedIllusion
Generally they are not in effect during summer, but there are some year round schools. IMO that would be unfair if the instructor took you to an area with one.

STAY ALERT!
haha, i might actually go for mine this year :D

HHURICANE1
07-06-2010, 04:13 PM
If in doubt consider it in effect. It is hard to tell the year round vs. part year school zones so err on the side of safety. If the tester questions you just tell him you weren't sure so you took it as being in effect. I highly doubt you will get docked for it.

Nav13
08-04-2010, 06:02 PM
I didn't want to bump this thread until I passed my class 6. I ended up passing it today but unfortunately I failed the first time, and I am really embarrassed to say, it's because I went to fast in a play ground zone. Long story short I thought it was finished and I was afraid of losing points for going to slow. Better to go to slow and lose 10 points then out right fail, oh well lesson learned.

Anyways the answer to the original question in this thread is no, school zones are not in effect during the summer, except for the ones that are marked "year round" or "all year", this is coming straight from my tester. Just thought I would bump this in case someone else searches for this question in the future.

GOnSHO
08-05-2010, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by HHURICANE1
If in doubt consider it in effect. It is hard to tell the year round vs. part year school zones so err on the side of safety. If the tester questions you just tell him you weren't sure so you took it as being in effect. I highly doubt you will get docked for it.

my tester took points OFF for this...

i wasnt sure so i did the 30...

end of the test.. 10 marks off cuz i was going to slow..