PDA

View Full Version : I want to hear opinions

arian_ma
07-07-2010, 11:19 AM
Alright guys, I have been debating my current situation for months, and just cannot come to a conclusion, mostly because of lack of experience and knowledge. I want to hear all of your opinions so that I can make the right decision.

My situation is as follows:
- 22 years old
- Engineering Degree (graduated april 09, took time off until Feb '10)
- Working for a pretty big engg firm (since Feb '10)
- Feel like I have rushed into the whole career thing

Everyday I come to work and I see all of my friends enjoying their time traveling or working fun jobs or even just hanging outside in the summer days and it really sucks. It sucks even more when I think about how all of that is over for me forever, and I don't feel like I have done enough to gain enough life experience to give all of that up yet.

Some more details:
- I live at home, which has allowed me to accumulated some cash
- No real expenses
- Nothing tying me down to this two star city

Ideally, since taking engineering in university is synonymous to getting shot in the big toe, I would like to go back and spend one year going to uni in another city, taking something I enjoy, and just having fun. In the process I'd have to live on my own, pay my own expenses, and generally fend for myself (which skills I have not yet acquired since I live at home.) The problem with this is that I'm not sure how terrible this decision is for my career at this point. I would like to do engineering as my job, just not now...

I see friends in heinous amounts of debt and still traveling and racking it up, and I see me with a decent bank account and hating my life. Now some of you may disagree, but I don't give two shits about cash if I am not enjoying it to the fullest.

Anyway, this is getting too long. I'm sure more details will come out as the discussion starts.

Let's hear your opinions.

Kloubek
07-07-2010, 11:23 AM
Well it seems you've already taken some time off, so one cannot assume you are burned out.

I mean, you can not work, sit on your ass all day and be a bum if you really want to. Or, you can take your lazy ass to work every day, build up some money (since you live at home), and create a rather nice head-start for yourself in the "real world".

Personally, I'd get super bored if I had nothing to do all day for month on end. But maybe that's just me...

t-im
07-07-2010, 11:30 AM
Well..

Take it from someone who did the opposite of you - graduated and traveled my ass off and just didn't bother to really take any sort of 'career' seriously....I would much rather have some sort of career..or a balance of such. I will admit that I consider traveling one of the best experiences in the world and would not trade it for anything..

That being said, I agree. If you have nothing tying you to Calgary, get up and leave. I did that. I will be back, but for a few years at most. I'm not an engineer (business background), but I would think you'll have no issues finding a job in the future even if you get out of the rat race now.

If you're gonna take something in school elsewhere, make sure it's at least relevant and you can get something out of it (a degree, diploma, whatever).

You could also just plan an around the world trip for a year. I know people who've done it and had a blast.

Markov7
07-07-2010, 11:32 AM
Just curious, where did you get your engg degree. And what stream of engineering is it?

sputnik
07-07-2010, 11:38 AM
Why not get a job abroad with a oil and gas firm for a year or two?

Good way to meet people from all over the world and see new places. Most of the jobs abroad are also like 10-14 hour shifts 3-4 days/week so you have time off in between.

My wifes cousin did it for a couple of years and loved the experience.

Lex350
07-07-2010, 11:43 AM
I guess it depends on if you want to live for today or live for the future. I know many people say to live for today but then end up hating life more as they get older because they have no means.

A buddy of mine resolved this same issue for himself. He kept working in the field he was in but tried a couple different compnaies. He said the change wasn't dramatic but better. He also worked it into his contract to get less money but more vacation time so he could get more frequent breaks and so he could see the world more.

Having the boring job also allows him to pay for his toys like guitars, amps, mountain bikes....etc.

sputnik
07-07-2010, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by rotten42
I guess it depends on if you want to live for today or live for the future. I know many people say to live for today but then end up hating life more as they get older because they have no means.

Agreed. Since the OP is 22 he has little persective.

I am 31 now and have friends that criticized my decision to work a 9-5 job and buy a house back when I was 23. They were all travelling, working casual jobs so they could board all winter and shared rental houses with friends.

Now they are 30+ and all complaining about how expensive houses and condos are and how they hate working "entry level" jobs and that their managers are their age or younger.

Life in general is a long process. Why not figure out a way to work, travel and enjoy life at the same time?

Jlude
07-07-2010, 11:58 AM
When you look back on your life, do you want to say "I wish I would have taken that chance, or I wish I would have done that"?

Sounds like you first should try finding a balance between your current job and the life you think is fun. It took me a while (also in engineering) to realize that.

arian_ma
07-07-2010, 12:00 PM
Thanks for all the great input. I see all of your points, I guess I should give more info.

I love traveling, and did 3 months on my own when I took time off (among other travels), but the whole be on your own thing is not my favorite. I enjoy the company of my friends too much to leave for a year. Moving away to a new city would not pose the same problems, because I could make new long term friendships and that is perfect (traveling friends are not the same).

That being said, I think my problem is that I am stuck in a loop where nothing exciting happens. I have tried everything I can think of to get out of it; joined clubs, done things I wouldn't normally do, etc, but there is just nothing that can replace the sheer power of being a student and meeting people and excitement daily, and most importantly pursuing the things you aspire to do. I am in pursuit of that. I guess what I'm trying to say is: I'm bored as hell and it has started to get to me in a way that nothing else has before.

Edit: Jlude, I think you put it best. My problem is that When I look AHEAD to the next year or two, I see NOTHING changing, and that bothers me on levels that I cannot describe. I feel like I am wasting my early 20's to start a job in order to get monetary gain, when in all reality all of that means NOTHING if you have wasted the best times of your life (No family, no ties, no mortgage, NO CARES!)

t-im
07-07-2010, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma
Thanks for all the great input. I see all of your points, I guess I should give more info.

I love traveling, and did 3 months on my own when I took time off (among other travels), but the whole be on your own thing is not my favorite. I enjoy the company of my friends too much to leave for a year. Moving away to a new city would not pose the same problems, because I could make new long term friendships and that is perfect (traveling friends are not the same).

That being said, I think my problem is that I am stuck in a loop where nothing exciting happens. I have tried everything I can think of to get out of it; joined clubs, done things I wouldn't normally do, etc, but there is just nothing that can replace the sheer power of being a student and meeting people and excitement daily, and most importantly pursuing the things you aspire to do. I am in pursuit of that. I guess what I'm trying to say is: I'm bored as hell and it has started to get to me in a way that nothing else has before.

Apply for grad school elsewhere. Sounds like what would work best for you in this situation.

Lex350
07-07-2010, 12:19 PM

Edit: Jlude, I think you put it best. My problem is that When I look AHEAD to the next year or two, I see NOTHING changing, and that bothers me on levels that I cannot describe. I feel like I am wasting my early 20's to start a job in order to get monetary gain, when in all reality all of that means NOTHING if you have wasted the best times of your life (No family, no ties, no mortgage, NO CARES!)

Well I guess what I could say to that is you can't always chart or predict your future. The last 3 years of my life taught me that. Change is a process. It doesn't usually happen over night. Sometimes it requires small steps to get it started.

Jlude
07-07-2010, 12:36 PM
I started at building my carrer at 18 and didn't stop till 25, working my ass off, sacrificing friends, family, relationships, moving all over the world.... and for what. In the end, all that matters is what is important to you.

rotten42 is right as well, you can't predict what's going to happen, you can try your hardest to change what's going to happen, but in the end, you'll really have no more control over everything than anyone else.

You're 22, so fucking young dude, just enjoy yourself.

Don't worry about your career, you can focus on that while doing whatever else you want. I'd say you take a look around on the net for a job somewhere in the world, take that and go live your life, experience what it's like to be out in the real world, fending for yourself. Go get some real life experience!

Seth1968
07-07-2010, 12:42 PM
Our education system teaches one to become a worker.

Have you considered starting your own business?

arian_ma
07-07-2010, 12:54 PM
Jlude/t-im: thanks...that's exactly what I want to hear. I know it's not the smartest thing, but I don't care about that right now, I think my emotional well being and happiness are quite a bit more important than getting a 1 or 2 year head start on "life" (they should call it death, that's what it really is...)

Jlude since you said you started your career so early until you were 25, does that mean you're doing something different now?

Seth: I have considered this many times, the problem is that I have not even the slightest clue on how to do this. Having a full time job and trying to juggle family, friends, and time for myself in between all of that leaves me with barely enough time to sleep 5-6 hours a night. I'm exhausted, unhappy, and bored. That's not a good combination. Also, it means I have no time to start to learn how to do anything of that sort (though I would love to).

rotten42: You are completely right, I can't chart my future, I'm sure there are things that could happen in my career path that would make me more happy (IE working at a company where I can actually meet people my age!! I can safely say that I am the youngest guy working on my entire floor of well over 200 engineers, and probably one of the youngest in the company).

I wish I could articulate what's in my head better for you guys, it's like trying to untangle Christmas lights in my own head...even I don't know WTF is going on.

What do you guys think about taking something completely irrelevant to engineering in school, just to change things up for a year...

t-im
07-07-2010, 01:02 PM
Jlude/t-im: thanks...that's exactly what I want to hear. I know it's not the smartest thing, but I don't care about that right now, I think my emotional well being and happiness are quite a bit more important than getting a 1 or 2 year head start on "life" (they should call it death, that's what it really is...)

There is NOTHING wrong with going back for more school. There are two 'opinions' of this. Some feel it's better to go back when you're older and have more experience, while others think it's better to do it while you're young. I agree more with doing it sooner than later (if you want to) because you have a lot more to 'give up' later on.

What do you guys think about taking something completely irrelevant to engineering in school, just to change things up for a year...

Hmm, I see that you want to experience something new etc, but honestly, pick something that if not related to engineering, you can still make use of some how (I know that sounds really vague).

arian_ma
07-07-2010, 01:05 PM
I was thinking psych/sociology because I am really interested in that stuff...really has no practical use unless I want to manipulate people or something haha.

t-im
07-07-2010, 01:14 PM
I also think it comes down to where exactly you want to study..and (as mentioned) life can't be planned, and you really never know what kinda opportunities will come up regardless of what you're studying. If you're bored as crap with Calgary, take this opportunity to try out new things. Just make sure you go to school somewhere you could envision maybe staying, if the right opportunity came up.

arian_ma
07-07-2010, 06:02 PM
Anybody know of any websites where I can search for job opportunities in Vancouver? Are there any Engineering jobs out there at all? (Mechanical)

Jlude
07-07-2010, 06:27 PM
Anybody know of any websites where I can search for job opportunities in Vancouver? Are there any Engineering jobs out there at all? (Mechanical)

Why Vancouver? The pay won't be that great and the cost of living will be stupid. I love Vancouver, but couldn't live there, the rain is just fucking depressing.

Why don't you try California/Florida or one of the southern states. Really step out of your comfort zone.

Jlude
07-07-2010, 06:33 PM

Jlude since you said you started your career so early until you were 25, does that mean you're doing something different now?

I'm so sick right now, I just typed out a huge ass reply and it didn't post. :banghead: I'll sum it up...

Your main goal in life is to be happy, well that's what it should be. Remember, the most important things in life can't be bought.

I did exactly what you're thinking about doing. Moved across the country when I was 18, traveled around working for various consulting companies and built up my career.
I'm still doing the same thing, because I love what I do, but now my business is at a point where I don't need to kill myself working 70hrs a week in order for it to survive. I can now do whatever I want and my business won't suffer.

Here's a good way to put it, good ol movie quotes!

g72M0tTvjKU

t-im
07-07-2010, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by Jlude
Why Vancouver? The pay won't be that great and the cost of living will be stupid. I love Vancouver, but couldn't live there, the rain is just fucking depressing.

Why don't you try California/Florida or one of the southern states. Really step out of your comfort zone.

This.

I wouldn't consider Vancouver for those reasons. People get so hung up on thinking Vancouver is so awesome, move out there, and get completely obliterated by living costs and shit pay, and end up back in Alberta. Also, when it comes down to it, your lifestyle in Vancouver would NOT be much different from Calgary.

Consider California or New York. Depends what you want really. I'm more of a east coast kinda guy who doesn't like having to depend on a car so...

Jlude
07-07-2010, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by t-im

This.

I wouldn't consider Vancouver for those reasons. People get so hung up on thinking Vancouver is so awesome, move out there, and get completely obliterated by living costs and shit pay, and end up back in Alberta. Also, when it comes down to it, your lifestyle in Vancouver would NOT be much different from Calgary.

Consider California or New York. Depends what you want really. I'm more of a east coast kinda guy who doesn't like having to depend on a car so...

I'm the exact opposite and moved to California rather than NY, because I love cars and must own one that I can thoroughly enjoy.

calgarydub
07-07-2010, 11:23 PM
How easy is it to find work in the USA?

I have always wondered what it'd be like to make such a huge life change for a while. Is it as easy as finding a job ad, getting an interview and doing all the necessary things to work and live there?

Surely it must be a little difficult to get a job over another who is actually American, no?

Can either of you explain how you got a job in a new country and survived? I'm really interested.

Jlude
07-08-2010, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by calgarydub
How easy is it to find work in the USA?

I have always wondered what it'd be like to make such a huge life change for a while. Is it as easy as finding a job ad, getting an interview and doing all the necessary things to work and live there?

Surely it must be a little difficult to get a job over another who is actually American, no?

Can either of you explain how you got a job in a new country and survived? I'm really interested.

It's really not that big of a change, other than you're required authorization to work in the US.

Depending on your field and the demand for what you do, it can be quite easy to get a job in the US. Most companies will do a phone interview first, then if they're serious, they'll fly you down for an interview.

Keep in mind, if you're looking for a call centre job or something, don't expect to get one before going to the US, they've got tons of people able to do that job, and homeland security isn't going to give you authorization for something that anyone can do.

When I finished my interviews, negotiations and returned back to Calgary, my next step was booking flights, applied for work visa at the airport (port of entry), get work visa then go to the US. Pretty simple. Once you're there, you have to switch over your license (you don't HAVE to do this) and get a Social Security Card.

arian_ma
07-08-2010, 12:27 PM
Meh, I'm just really not a big fan of the USA due to the way they treat me every time I try to cross their border (Born in the middle east, even though I've been a Canadian Citizen for like 12 years)

I chose Vancouver because the city is alive. Calgary is boring as fuck. There is NOTHING TO DO HERE. I went to Montreal and there was so much to do that I literally had to sit down and flip coins to decide. The time I spent in Vancouver was similar, though not as alive there was still lots to do. Not to mention the mountains are right there as well as the ocean (and you're in BC) I'm sure the rain would get to be a bitch but I don't know...rain or -40??? hmmm

The pay is an issue though. How do people get by in Van city lol.

JfuckinC
07-08-2010, 12:35 PM

I chose Vancouver because the city is alive. Calgary is boring as fuck. There is NOTHING TO DO HERE.

:rofl:

Just hanging out with thh wrong people arian. You know I'm always out doing something!

-relk-
07-08-2010, 12:42 PM
I lived in BC for about 8 years in my middle and high school days and it is a great city, but it isn't a whole lot better than calgary IMO. My advice would be somewhere like Australia. I have always wated to work there and may look into it once i am done my degree. Not too sure the job situation or anything though...

arian_ma
07-08-2010, 02:51 PM
I tried out Aus for some time. While it is great there, I prefer Canada. If you're looking for jobs there and you're an engineer though, you'll be good to go.

Gainsbarre
07-09-2010, 07:06 AM

I see quite a few here: http://www.indeed.ca/jobs?q=mechanical&l=vancouver

I kind of feel the same way -- I really like North Vancouver, but I suppose it's more for the people there than anything else.

jfit09
07-10-2010, 09:37 AM
A job is what you make of it, If you go to work miserable about having to work it amplifies the problem. If you go to work with a sunny perspective build relationships and do your job to the best of your abilities you will enjoy it more. Simple and plain, there is something else most likely irrelevant to your job education or school that is generating this unhappiness.

just my 0.02

FiveFreshFish
07-10-2010, 07:50 PM
I chose Vancouver because the city is alive.

Try Montreal.

Gurpy
07-10-2010, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by -relk-
I lived in BC for about 8 years in my middle and high school days and it is a great city

Don't normally do this but I had to re-read that a few times. Assuming you meant Van :P

torob
07-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Dami Ba Gham Be Sar Bordan Jahan Yek Sar Nemi Arzad

Cloudy vancouver is fucking depressing... i was there for 6 years and i can't imagine living there again...

It IS way better than calgary, but the cloudy / crowded / busy is something that gets to you after a while...

Try Toronto as well too, its just as nice as Vancouver and though they have harsh winters ... more so than Calgary its short and they get nicer weather quicker from what i've looked at

arian_ma
07-12-2010, 10:55 AM
Thanks for more updates guys. I've been to both Toronto and Montreal and, though awesome cities, I can't imagine myself living in either of them. Montreal because you have to know french to live there (and I don't), and Toronto because...well because I don't like the Toronto/New York kind of city...all business.

Vancouver rain is that bad eh? I don't really like rain myself but is it mostly the winter months that are rainy in Van? Or all months? I found a master's program at UBC that I am quite interested in, so that is an option for now.

I'll tell you guys the exact reason why I don't like Calgary: Yesterday, beautiful weather, stampede time, world cup FINALS, and I was in the middle of downtown and there was not ONE thing going on. What the fuuu! Where do all you people hide??? What do you do with your time? God damn I am bored in this city. As great as making money is, what good is it if you can't spend it having fun??

Jlude
07-12-2010, 01:28 PM
What do you do with your time? God damn I am bored in this city. As great as making money is, what good is it if you can't spend it having fun??

Are you serious? I can't imagine there not being anyone around.

I'm flying in on Wednesday just to part for Stampede and then leave again on Sunday, I'm surely not the only one, so how can there be no one out and about?

arian_ma
07-12-2010, 01:56 PM
I don't know man, at one point there were a crowd of about 20 people on Stephen Ave cheering for Spain, then they left and there was a couple of tents and maybe 100 people on the whole street. 17th ave was a hit and miss, I'd say maybe 2 or 3 places were reasonably full and then nothing. We went to Eau Claire as well, Chinatown (out of desperation)...nothing!

Also, I should mention that the rainy ass weather isn't helping either.

torob
07-13-2010, 01:26 AM
Van apparently having good weather, i just got here an hour ago...

But yeah - rain all times of the year.. summer fall winter spring.. rain rain rain equals depression

Calgary might be cold, but has lots of sun at least... Vancouver might be fine (its not hot/warm.. its just okay -- chilly) but its lack of sun really gets to me...

But boring calgary does too, i don't know if you grew up with the culture, but i grew around a busy / fun / chill culture and calgary is death

swak
07-13-2010, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by torob

But boring calgary does too, i don't know if you grew up with the culture, but i grew around a busy / fun / chill culture and calgary is death

Where did you grow up??

im one of the few born and raised Calgarians, and love it here.
.. I visited Vancouver for a week last summer for the first time and actually really wasn't a fan. If i were to move to another city in Canada, honestly it would be ideally Victoria, and secondly Winnipeg.

... however, im not negating that calgary can be dull, but that in itself now and then is okay.

But like JLude said, if you are to learn one thing;
"Work to live, not live to work"

rc2002
07-13-2010, 11:08 AM
OP, sounds like you need a new job. It makes all the difference in the world if you look forward to going to work every day.

As far as friends partying it up, sputnik nailed it. You might be envious of your friends now because you're settling down and purusing a career. But they'll likely be envious of you later on. It all depends on what you value more.

Plus, you can't enjoy life without cash. Traveling the world on your own isn't fun on a shoestring budget. You can't buy toys without money. And it would suck to rack up a mountain of debt when you're young and spend the next 20 years of your life paying it off.

Jlude
07-13-2010, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
OP, sounds like you need a new job. It makes all the difference in the world if you look forward to going to work every day.

As far as friends partying it up, sputnik nailed it. You might be envious of your friends now because you're settling down and purusing a career. But they'll likely be envious of you later on. It all depends on what you value more.

Plus, you can't enjoy life without cash. Traveling the world on your own isn't fun on a shoestring budget. You can't buy toys without money. And it would suck to rack up a mountain of debt when you're young and spend the next 20 years of your life paying it off.

This summarizes everything perfectly and great point, you're going to be very happy with the choices you've made in about 5-10 years. When your friends are starting their careers and "settling down" is the new priority in life, they'll be uber envious because you'll be so well established... you'll have what they want and be able to enjoy yourself like they were when you guys were younger.

arian_ma
07-13-2010, 12:33 PM
Thanks guys, well at least I know that I'm not crazy for feeling this way. I'm no jealous of my friends, just wish that I had a few more hours of free time a week. That's alright though, after reading this thread and thinking a lot about it, I now have a few plans and goals to aim for in the near future, which in itself made a huge difference.

Not knowing WHY you're working and wasting all of this time is almost worst than the actual act of working itself. Now that I have something to work towards, at least I can aim my sights somewhere.

:thumbsup:

torob
07-13-2010, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by swak

Where did you grow up??

im one of the few born and raised Calgarians, and love it here.
.. I visited Vancouver for a week last summer for the first time and actually really wasn't a fan. If i were to move to another city in Canada, honestly it would be ideally Victoria, and secondly Winnipeg.

... however, im not negating that calgary can be dull, but that in itself now and then is okay.

But like JLude said, if you are to learn one thing;
"Work to live, not live to work"

You could say i grew up in Calgary / Vancouver
Location doesn't matter though because the culture of the people you're around matters most... (in some way location i guess -- as to how many people with that culture are available to you)

Location only in terms of weather / population / and maybe whats around

Huge culture shock when i first came to Calgary -- in comparison with the type of culture i grew up with (people) - you have the busy / fun / outgoing groups... then have a shock as you look around and see none of that (and i don't in calgary)

That doesn't mean Calgary or the people in it are not like that -- just different presentations..

This isn't about me, its about OP... and i'm assuming its the same

Note: I just got to vancouver last night after the drive, and I thought about someone coming here for the first time from Calgary -- it would be really exciting i think

911fever
07-14-2010, 06:48 AM
OP: you're right 100%, Calgary is incredibly boring. It's so boring constantly that it sucks to live there. You may make good money, but what can you do with good money if the city itself sucks to live in?
Vancouver is way nicer than Calgary and has a good vibe, but the cost of living and the payscale will be so much less than Calgary, that it's probably not worth it. Montreal is alright, but it's not great enough to move IMO.
Take a closer look at Toronto, it's an awesome city, good money here, lots of things to do, always something going on. If not T dot, look at California, there's so much there and the weather is amazing.

Jlude
07-14-2010, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by 911fever
OP: you're right 100%, Calgary is incredibly boring. It's so boring constantly that it sucks to live there. You may make good money, but what can you do with good money if the city itself sucks to live in?
Vancouver is way nicer than Calgary and has a good vibe, but the cost of living and the payscale will be so much less than Calgary, that it's probably not worth it. Montreal is alright, but it's not great enough to move IMO.
Take a closer look at Toronto, it's an awesome city, good money here, lots of things to do, always something going on. If not T dot, look at California, there's so much there and the weather is amazing.

For his industry, the money isn't that great in TO. I guess he'll have to weigh that factor as well. Happiness/Money

arian_ma
07-14-2010, 02:31 PM
To be honest though, I waste about 30-40% of my paycheck every month on bullshit things like going out to dinner, for sheesha, or similar things simply because there is nothing better to do. I mean, I know things cost money, but I found that in many places, the funnest things to do were free or relatively inexpensive. For example, in Calgary I would go spend 2 or 3 hours at Narah and spend $30, in Montreal I would spend 4 or 5 hours at the outdoor pool and spend $5, or go to one of several outdoor festivals going on that day for free.

I know I would make less money in Vancouver, but I think equally I would waste less money on bullshit activities that don't do me any good.

ercchry
07-14-2010, 02:41 PM
there is lots of low dollar activities in and around calgary... the most i have been spending lately is just gas money driving to these places.

Montreal I would spend 4 or 5 hours at the outdoor pool and spend $5

what to do in calgary instead? uhhh go to an outdoor pool :nut: or float down a river?

arian_ma
07-14-2010, 02:47 PM
Weather permitting right? How many days have we had so far this summer that any of those was a viable option? Remember, I was born in the middle east, I absolutely DESPISE the cold. 9 months of the year are written off for me right there, and this "summer" has been a let down and a half so far. Also, with work, how often can one float down the river or visit the mountains? What to do for the other 5 or 6 days of the week?

Also, the outdoor pool in Montreal >>>>>> the outdoor pool in Calgary

ercchry
07-14-2010, 02:54 PM
Weather permitting right? How many days have we had so far this summer that any of those was a viable option? Remember, I was born in the middle east, I absolutely DESPISE the cold. 9 months of the year are written off for me right there, and this "summer" has been a let down and a half so far. Also, with work, how often can one float down the river or visit the mountains? What to do for the other 5 or 6 days of the week?

learn to embrace the cold months... during the week i get home at about 5, cook dinner, watch a tv show and go to bed, or work on some side work, maybe go for wings? some people go for bike rides, walks, hit the gym... really depends what you want to do. weekends? well in the "warm months i go offroading (weather does not matter) visit friends in the mountains, can maybe go hiking? float down a river if it is nice... camping...

winter? well yeah winter is a bit more money for me... go snowboarding, party in banff... during the week, same as summer but maybe hit up C.O.P. for a night session...

911fever
07-14-2010, 03:16 PM

Hey I feel you, that's why I jumped ship and went east when I could. Why not look at the US, like Cali or Montreal a little closer? There's literally no jobs in Vancouver and area right now either, and wages suck.

g-m
07-15-2010, 12:00 AM

jesus christ its what you make of it. I've rafted 10+ times this year on blazingly hot days. You hate winter? Pack your bags, you live in the wrong country. You sound like an emotional downer and your mind is made up. You have a poor attitude and a poor disposition to a job that you probably shouldn't have taken in the first place.

I have tons of middle eastern friends and they don't 'DESPISE' the cold. Buy a snowboard. Heres an example of a major trek I have planned for this winter already
http://www.trailpeak.com/trail-Wapta-Traverse-Part-1-Peyto-Lake-to-Peyto-Hut-near-Banff-AB-5883
One of the top 3 winter traverses on earth. Its some serious top gear polar special terrain. But since you despise winter and its a total writeoff I guess you're just out of luck. Seriously, pack your bags. I hear its warm in Dubai

torob
07-15-2010, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by g-m

jesus christ its what you make of it. I've rafted 10+ times this year on blazingly hot days. You hate winter? Pack your bags, you live in the wrong country. You sound like an emotional downer and your mind is made up. You have a poor attitude and a poor disposition to a job that you probably shouldn't have taken in the first place.

I have tons of middle eastern friends and they don't 'DESPISE' the cold. Buy a snowboard. Heres an example of a major trek I have planned for this winter already
http://www.trailpeak.com/trail-Wapta-Traverse-Part-1-Peyto-Lake-to-Peyto-Hut-near-Banff-AB-5883
One of the top 3 winter traverses on earth. Its some serious top gear polar special terrain. But since you despise winter and its a total writeoff I guess you're just out of luck. Seriously, pack your bags. I hear its warm in Dubai

:cry:

But really i think it comes down to the group of people you're around...
The more they're up for stuff that you can do as a group, the funner it is -- and you can make anything simple enjoyable

Problem with the city is its limitation on types of people to match with i guess... for example Vancouver has tons of different types of individuals you could find and do stuff with -- but calgary not as likely

I guess thats one way of looking at it

arian_ma
07-15-2010, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by g-m

jesus christ
Shit man, did I offend you by not liking the cold weather and trying to find a way to not let the corporate machine string me along like a puppet? Maybe it sounds like I'm bitching from your point of view, but I really did not sign up for a life of work and no fun. If you think the mountains and cold are fun, that's awesome, I'm happy for you, but that's not my personal favorite, and I don't think it's too much to ask to have my own personal preferences.

The whole point of this thread was to learn through other people's experiences who have already gone down this road. If I seem like I have my mind made up, it's because I haven't yet heard a better suggestion, since I've been to all of the suggested cities in Canada, and Vancouver was my favorite. Also, leaving Canada for California is not an option at this point, because I have been there several times, and I love this country MUCH more.

ercchry
07-15-2010, 09:55 AM

Shit man, did I offend you by not liking the cold weather and trying to find a way to not let the corporate machine string me along like a puppet? Maybe it sounds like I'm bitching from your point of view, but I really did not sign up for a life of work and no fun. If you think the mountains and cold are fun, that's awesome, I'm happy for you, but that's not my personal favorite, and I don't think it's too much to ask to have my own personal preferences.

The whole point of this thread was to learn through other people's experiences who have already gone down this road. If I seem like I have my mind made up, it's because I haven't yet heard a better suggestion, since I've been to all of the suggested cities in Canada, and Vancouver was my favorite. Also, leaving Canada for California is not an option at this point, because I have been there several times, and I love this country MUCH more.

you thought calgary was expensive? good luck out west :rofl:

you will make less and have a greater cost of living... on top of that you will have more expenses too (ie. not living in mommy and daddy's basement)

to me you should like a self entitled bitch, suck it up this is your FIRST year working... welcome to real life! work hard now and you will have much more fun later. fuck since i started "real life" i have so much more free time compared to working shit jobs and i actually take advantage of it since not only because it is financially possible but also my weekends and 2weeks holidays is much less than the 4 months of free time i had when in school... plus twice the free time during the week i had during school...

you think we have had shitty weather this summer? rain is a daily occurrence in the lower mainland... so good luck with that :rolleyes:

diamondedge
07-15-2010, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

you think we have had shitty weather this summer? rain is a daily occurrence in the lower mainland... so good luck with that :rolleyes:

I know myself personally, it being grey outside most of the time would make me pretty gloomy. At least with Calgary, it changes so often and keeps things interesting - like chinooks or that sudden awesome thunderstorm to cool you off.

shlynn
07-19-2010, 01:08 AM
when you are young, I think you should do what you like and get your target experience:) (http://www.esldomino.com/bmw-gt1-dis-v56-sss-v32-fit-all-computer-p-174.html) which can push your life better.

Do it! Just do what you want in the future. Support.

Tram Common
09-13-2010, 11:10 AM
This is an old thread but I figured I'd chime in.

You're 22 - 23 years old... Jesus Christ you are young. Anyone in this thread who's fed you the "Stick with your career or you'll regret it" line is full of shit.

Spend a year or two or three enjoying life, trying new things, traveling, go to grad school, try a whole new line of study... Jesus man, you'll have all of your thirties and forties to worry about buying a house and raising a family and all that.

You already have a fail-safe degree that at anytime can land you a job paying above average wage.

You're way too young to be unhappy. Get out there.

You're never going to be good at something you don't enjoy doing.

arian_ma
09-13-2010, 11:27 AM
Hey thanks man, I got a lot of feedback that I thought a lot about in this thread. I feel different now, not as stuck per se but I feel like I understood the root of the way I was feeling mostly.

I did and still do feel like I am too young to be diving head first into a career, but I couldn't figure out why I was SO bothered by my situation. I later realized that it was because I had nothing to look forward to. I had set no future goals for myself, I didn't plan anything new, and all I saw on the horizon was come to work, hate winter, go home, hate winter. Rinse and repeat.

Since then I have set out a few very different goals that I can pick and choose between when the time comes. Since I still don't know exactly where life is going to take me, at least having a couple of viable options is a good thing. To anyone reading this thread and feeling something similar, make sure that your calendar is not empty. Make plans, have ambitions, and don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone, it may be scary at first but you will always be surprised at how much better your life could be, no matter how awesome you think it is right now.

Just thought I'd throw in an update with that bump.