PDA

View Full Version : class 6 roadtest

AK47
07-07-2010, 10:33 PM
so im going for my class 6 test on sunday and im nervous as hell, dont want to throw all that money and end up failing. any class 6 license holders out there that can give me any pointers or things to watch out for that would be great.thanks

Unknown303
07-07-2010, 10:38 PM
Watch your speed (Fast and Slow). Make sure to cancel your signals. Remember your vehicle position in your lane.

Oh and don't pull a me. If you're just starting your test and leaving the lot and he tells you to turn left.... Don't turn right. although apparently that wasn't enough for him to fail me.

GQBalla
07-07-2010, 10:46 PM
Simple test. Watch lane position and speed, hardest part of the test (not even hard) uphill start

Unknown303
07-07-2010, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
Simple test. Watch lane position and speed, hardest part of the test (not even hard) uphill start

You had to do an uphill start?

GQBalla
07-08-2010, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by Unknown303

You had to do an uphill start?

yeah, this was 3 years ago. Dunno if they still do them?

GOnSHO
07-08-2010, 07:56 AM
i was JUST gonna ask this!!

as well as where i can actually go to take the roadtest?? will any place do it??

e31
07-08-2010, 08:02 AM
^ This is also relevant to my interests.

GQBalla
07-08-2010, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by GOnSHO
i was JUST gonna ask this!!

as well as where i can actually go to take the roadtest?? will any place do it??

you have to book with a registry now.

im pretty sure all registrys have examiners they use

SJW
07-08-2010, 08:44 AM
Once you get your class 6 then it's straight up hooliganism. At least that's what I see around town.

bignerd
07-08-2010, 08:46 AM
Yes they do uphill starts. What the hell are you supposed to do if you stop at a stop sign or lights on a hill? If you know how to drive stick its not a big deal... just ride the clutch a little if you are worried.

GQBalla
07-08-2010, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by bignerd
Yes they do uphill starts. What the hell are you supposed to do if you stop at a stop sign or lights on a hill? If you know how to drive stick its not a big deal... just ride the clutch a little if you are worried.

bikes you are supposed to ride the clutch unless its a dry system.

just keep your foot on the rear brake till your bike moves

GOnSHO
07-08-2010, 09:34 AM

you have to book with a registry now.

im pretty sure all registrys have examiners they use

so after taking the written test(roadtest permit), just go back to the registries and take the roadtest?? hmm i didnt think registries did roadtests

GQBalla
07-08-2010, 09:47 AM

so after taking the written test(roadtest permit), just go back to the registries and take the roadtest?? hmm i didnt think registries did roadtests

yeap,

the registry doesn't do them but they have examiners that do it

adam c
07-08-2010, 10:00 AM
For the test, do you provide your own bike and equipment or is it like the class 5 where they provide the car?

GQBalla
07-08-2010, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by adam c
For the test, do you provide your own bike and equipment or is it like the class 5 where they provide the car?

if you do provide your own bike, you have to have it registered and insured.

They will do a quick check of the signal lights, horn and brake lights (some examiners don't let you take the test with the integrated tail lights, but my instructor did)

some instructors have bikes for you to rent for the test

hellraiser456
07-08-2010, 11:04 AM
the one i went through required that you had your own bike. they make sure the lights, brakes work and do a quick inspection of the thing. make sure nothing is out of place. they also check to make sure it is insured. i borrowed a buddies bike.

the test didn't take very long as i couldn't hear what the guy( due to exhaust noise and my helmet) was saying on the walkie talkie and it was starting to snow out . i did mine last year in mid april.

basicly though...for me you get a walkie talkie strung around your neck and he tells you where to go and what to do.

watch your speed, signals and keep your feet on your pegs as much as you can. also remember ALL the rules of the road as your are being tested on that to.

i did fine and i didn't do an up hill start because i couldn't hear where to go and it was snowing. i had to pull over 3 times just to get instructions and finally he just said head back to the regestry.

i can't remember the name of the place but it was in downtown on 11 ave and 2nd street i think

i got dinged for not keep my feet on the pegs and i made an improper right turn. i needed to be in the left lane right away so instead of turning into the right lane and then just signal over i kinda just skipped over to the left lane. it was safe to do so but technically not the right way to do it.

GQBalla
07-08-2010, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by hellraiser456
basicly though...for me you get a walkie talkie strung around your neck and he tells you where to go and what to do.

i can't remember the name of the place but it was in downtown on 11 ave and 2nd street i think

for me the my examiner followed me in her car and she would signal which way she wanted me to turn. When it was time for the uphill start she put on her hazards.

The registry dt is 11 ave 1st street sw in the same complex as Macs

GOnSHO
07-08-2010, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by hellraiser456
the one i went through required that you had your own bike. they make sure the lights, brakes work and do a quick inspection of the thing. make sure nothing is out of place. they also check to make sure it is insured. i borrowed a buddies bike.

the test didn't take very long as i couldn't hear what the guy( due to exhaust noise and my helmet) was saying on the walkie talkie and it was starting to snow out . i did mine last year in mid april.

watch your speed, signals and keep your feet on your pegs as much as you can. also remember ALL the rules of the road as your are being tested on that to.

i did fine and i didn't do an up hill start because i couldn't hear where to go and it was snowing. i had to pull over 3 times just to get instructions and finally he just said head back to the regestry.

i got dinged for not keep my feet on the pegs and i made an improper right turn. i needed to be in the left lane right away so instead of turning into the right lane and then just signal over i kinda just skipped over to the left lane. it was safe to do so but technically not the right way to do it.

what do YOU take your foot off the pegs for?? do you mean while stopped? haha i was like what kinda tricks were you trying on your test!?

GQBalla
07-08-2010, 12:00 PM

what do YOU take your foot off the pegs for?? do you mean while stopped? haha i was like what kinda tricks were you trying on your test!?

you are always suppose to have your right foot on your rear brake when stopped i think? for some reason i remember this and i usually do it

GOnSHO
07-08-2010, 12:01 PM
i dont do it, but ill start doing it! haha, i really wanna be able to jus ride my bike alone without having to worry about gettin pulled over..

Unknown303
07-08-2010, 12:21 PM

you are always suppose to have your right foot on your rear brake when stopped i think? for some reason i remember this and i usually do it

This. When you come to a stop you put your left foot down and keep the right on the rear brake. Same reasoning really behind the hill start. Now your hands are free to work the clutch and throttle.

Strange though when I did my road test It was super super short and I didn't have any hills.

I went to;
Provincial Registry Service Centre Inc
18 Avenue Northeast
Calgary, AB T2E 8T6
(403) 277-7777

Easy to deal with and the road test guy was easy to talk to. We actually were sitting around talking while he was waiting for some girl to show up for her class5 test. So by the time my test came around he'd already looked over my bike and we were good to go.. Until he locked his keys in his car and we had to wait for AMA to come unlock it. That may be why it was such a short test.

GQBalla
07-08-2010, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303

This. When you come to a stop you put your left foot down and keep the right on the rear brake. Same reasoning really behind the hill start. Now your hands are free to work the clutch and throttle.

Strange though when I did my road test It was super super short and I didn't have any hills.

I went to;
Provincial Registry Service Centre Inc
18 Avenue Northeast
Calgary, AB T2E 8T6
(403) 277-7777

Easy to deal with and the road test guy was easy to talk to. We actually were sitting around talking while he was waiting for some girl to show up for her class5 test. So by the time my test came around he'd already looked over my bike and we were good to go.. Until he locked his keys in his car and we had to wait for AMA to come unlock it. That may be why it was such a short test.

ahah good to know

adam c
07-08-2010, 01:34 PM
this has probably be answered 1000x already but where is the best place for learning?

GOnSHO
07-08-2010, 02:17 PM
im told too cool motorcycle school..

i just got my buddy who is 43 and has been riding since he was like 16 to show me pointers and take me out. He was a professional rider for a while until he tboned a bike that crashed right in front of him and he was in the hospital for a couple months.. so i thought he would be a good choice to do so.

AK47
07-08-2010, 07:49 PM
thanks a lot guys for ur advice. i took the safety course and everything so i hope i do well . when ur on a 2 lane road that are going opposite directions and ur in a lane ur always suppose to be on the far left of the lane right and never in the middle? so that way the driver in front of you can see you.what if its a 4 lane road, theres 2 lanes goin in the opposite direction and ur in a lane, does that far left still apply?

lesreynolds
07-09-2010, 01:41 PM
I took my class 6 a few months back and I will tell you what I lost points on.

I didn't check every single intersection and uncontrolled intersection. Normally it isn't a issue with me just left right left when passing anything but since I had someone following me I was worried I would fuck up on something and I forgot to check a few times.

Other then that remember to always have your feet on the pegs not on your shift lever or break lever, like everyone said cancel the signal lights, super watch your speed since I took mine from Too Cool and I was going through millions of playground, school zones you really have to keep your eye out for that.

The hill start I found very easy wasn't an issue but just make sure you signal check etc pull over then do the start and signal check etc and pull out. From what I heard a lot of people lost marks in this area because they just pulled over stopped hill started and pulled out without checking etc etc.

I was all worried since they told me it would be around 55mins for the road test, to be honest with you I think mine was around that but it didn't feel like more then 15mins. If you can try to just relax yourself and ride like you normally do and totally forget about the dude following you it will reduce your stress levels and make you drive better. Towards the end of my test I was able to do this and I felt a lot more lose and confident.

one last thing i remembered when your left of center and he tells you to turn right signal and move over to the right side of the lane before turning. From what I was told a lot of people lose marks because of this on a test, he said I was the first of the day that actually did it properly.

As for the left of center thing, I've been told and talked to people about it and they said always left of center unless left of center is shit then you decide where the most safe location is for you. But honestly I've seen millions of bikes on the road that are in the center of the lane, right, left. Not saying they are driving unsafe or incorrect just maybe at that point in time that was the best location. I myself am always left, since my GF is normally behind me on the right.

AK47
07-09-2010, 06:49 PM
thanks 4 the advice bro ill be sure to watch out for all that,,

CHICHARITZHI
07-09-2010, 09:09 PM
u can use choppy bike for road test :D

CHICHARITZHI
07-09-2010, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by adam c
this has probably be answered 1000x already but where is the best place for learning?

check it out>http://www.fleetsafetyinternational.com/default.aspx

93VR6
07-09-2010, 11:32 PM
Has anyone done the parking lot test instead of the full road one or do they even offer that anymore?

aypi
07-10-2010, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by 93VR6
Has anyone done the parking lot test instead of the full road one or do they even offer that anymore?

nope, they don't have the parking lot test anymore.

AK47
07-13-2010, 11:40 AM
passed the test.what a relief. they followed me in a car instead of a bike. the only thing i lost points on was lowering my speed when i was changing lanes.the instructor said you have to maintain the same speed..they did make me do a hill start which was pretty easy since the hill wasnt really that steep. but its all good,jus glad i passed.test wasnt even that long, i think it was only like 25 minutes at the most.

Unknown303
07-13-2010, 11:49 AM
Good work! :thumbsup:

Now drive safe or you will DIE! :devil:

AK47
07-15-2010, 12:36 PM
haha thanks bro, gona take it easy for a bit on the bike, wont go all crazy my first week.

GOnSHO
07-29-2010, 11:24 AM
woot!! just passed mine..

radio stopped workin like 10 mins in though..

JVR1
07-29-2010, 08:51 PM
I'm planning on booking my test this weekend. I just finished the calgary safety council course but wanna use my own bike so I'll be going to southland registry. Should I be prepared to go on deerfoot or is it usually more of a 60-80km/h and residential zone for testing?

GOnSHO
08-05-2010, 09:44 AM
i did mine on all residential until i went on mcknight.. then metis trail.. rest was 30-60km/h

JVR1
08-05-2010, 01:40 PM
i passed it on friday. :thumbsup:

wasn't too bad, stalled coming out of the parking lot cuz i was trying to take off too smoothly on gravel :rofl:

otherwise, ended up stopping for a few pedestrians then having to pull to the side of the road for a cop car with the lights going tearing thru traffic.